• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Concerning Spoilers!
Tomorrow's update, as you all probably know, is supposed to be a big one. Everything points to there being a lot more going on than ArenaNet has made public. In the interest of making sure these big surprises remain a secret for those who are unable to play immediately, please refrain from discussing the events of tomorrow's update on GAF. If you must, please use spoiler tags. Obviously I'm not a mod and this isn't mandatory, but think of your fellow GAFer stuck at work, unable to enjoy whatever insanity is going on as it's happening live. They'd do the same for you... probably...

I think tomorrow night is probably long enough, so it's just for a day. Chances are good we should all be playing rather than posting anyways.

I'm assuming there will be a blog post tomorrow... but I wonder how much they're going to spoil before people log in? God, I'm so curious.

No idea on a blog post, probably not if they're this focused on making things a surprise. There's a livestream scheduled for tomorrow at Noon PDT, but that will be well after the update is out, I imagine.

Wallach

I was actually waiting until the top of the next page (in 2 posts...) to comment on that. I think as a general rule we should spoiler tag any detailed discussion of the patch; ArenaNet went to great lengths to keep things a secret, GAF should be able to do it for a few hours. Any kind of plot or lore discussion should be spoiler tagged for sure... patch notes too, since that probably gives a bit away. Usually people ask for the patch notes to be posted, maybe we should pass on that this time.

Anything ArenaNet makes public facing should be fine. Details beyond that I'd understand spoilering.

Retro

Anything ArenaNet makes public facing should be fine. Details beyond that I'd understand spoilering.

Well, if they post the patch notes and one of the items is "Visit the Queen's Funeral", I'd say that's a pretty big spoiler... I doubt they would, but the guy putting together the patch notes may not have gotten the memo.

Honestly, I think the patch notes will sidestep spoilers, but just to be safe we should probably spoiler tag them when they go up. So, whoever nabs them first when they go live, please be a lamb and think of the children.

Levyne

Banned
Slightly under qualified hah. You're too modest.

So yeah, that's a good start. Thanks a ton. We'll work from there tonight and do some testing. From the looks of it, there really is no "catch all" build for every situation (I'm so used to this being a guard), so there will be a bit of an inherent learning curve as far as approaching different situations go. At least we'll get the traits sorted out now and try out some of those skills.

It's both a blessing and annoying that I find both traps and spirits very situational in wvw and not worth slotting. So you only have a really limited list of utilities to truly choose from. Though I'm sure some people have found ways to use them effectively. Back when moondrop played Ranger I believe he found a way to use the frost trap and projectile combo finishers effectively, but I guess it just doesn't fit my playstyle. I'd rather just use torch instead of fire trap, and barrage or sword auto instead of spike trap. Spirits are just too flimsy and don't even move until you commit fully to Nature Magic. Just a buch of blah utilities all around when it comes to wvw.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Damn Arken's hole in one was impressive. With a charr no less.

Err well, here are mine.
jxA8APJYRhVSP.png

Feels really good to me. You'll probably have to mess with them to get it to a point you like best.
Thanks. Hopefully this will be good or at least steers me on a path to tweak and get a similar experience to the Logitech contoller/software.

I strategized a build to outlast Liadri / give my Mesmer infinite dodge rolls. Popped food buffs, jumped in and my controller died. Liadri is cursed.

Wallach

Thanks. Hopefully this will be good or at least steers me on a path to tweak and get a similar experience to the Logitech contoller/software.

I strategized a build to outlast Liadri / give my Mesmer infinite dodge rolls. Popped food buffs, jumped in and my controller died. Liadri is cursed.

Careful about using the heal that has reflect on it versus Liadri. If she lands whip lashes on you during phase 2 while you are healing, it puts all of your utilities on CD for 1 second (each time it hits). Something buggy with reflect and that attack I guess.

Lunar15

I'm hoping for surprise in game LFG tomorrow. But I doubt it. They probably would have told us about it.

Hmm, I'm not feeling tomorrow for that. I think it will come really really soon, but with all the craziness that tomorrow will entail, I feel like they'd want to announce the LFG separately.

Katoki

So I still had Jira's gaming side thread loaded on the laptop I bring to work and only use at work so I decided to refresh it and go into the 5th and last page... bad mistake.

"I don't like it so this game is flawed and you people are dumb for playing it. lololololol"

That's all I got and it feels worse than the accidental 10 minutes of browsing through my Facebook account last night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do you know what entrapment is? It’s inducing a person commit an act that the person would otherwise have been unlikely to perform.
TOO GOOD

It only gets better from there

edit: Aw, that thread wasn't that bad. There were a handful of those inexplicable posts, but most of the vitriol kind of faded. After all we're coming up on a year, and even people who hate the game are sort of settling into a "okay so Guild Wars 2 is gonna be a thing now, eh..." mentality.

By this point in their lifecycles, most of the major MMOs released in the last few years had dramatically restructured their business models, consolidated servers, dropped off in terms of content updates, posted financial losses for their parent companies or (most frequently) some combination of the above. At some point a degree of acceptance has to set in.

Levyne

Banned
That thread is interesting. I wonder how different it is to read based on whether you (general 'you') have the mini yet or not.

Katoki

What mini? Liadri?

I read on reddit or something that the pavilion would be there til September 1st or whenever that tuesday in September is so I'm not in a particular rush.

Edit: How do you spend gems getting that mini?
Edit 2: Because of you posting it, that gif is how I view you right now after having read through the gaming side thread.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That thread is interesting. I wonder how different it is to read based on whether you (general 'you') have the mini yet or not.
Well, there's actually a philosophical beat it comes down to:

"Is acceptable for skill to be a determining factor in obtaining certain rewards?"

If you say yes, then discover that the reward for Liadri is a cosmetic mini, there's little ground by which to complain (notwithstanding the more general "oh my god fuck this bitch"-style complaining we all did while attempting to murder her). Either you test your skill until you get the reward, or give up accepting that you lack that level of skill or (more likely, since she's so pattern-based) the patience to hone it. The crap about spending real money to keep attempting her was complete BS and totally unrelated to the debate.

If you say no, then I have to imagine prestige rewards in videogames are incredibly offensive and frustrating. The irony is that Guild Wars 2 distinguishes itself from many other games by having relatively few of these, and in all cases they are things that offer no gameplay- or even convenience- advantage over players that don't have them. They are no more than shiny "look what I did" stickers.
Katoki said:
Spending the 18.5 initial gold, plus the $10 actual money to sell the gems for even more tickets, repairs, waypoints fees, etc.
This is just atrocious justification, though. Just running around the pavilion would get you both tickets and the money to cover the rest of that stuff, including the *facepalms* waypoint fees. And if you're response is "I don't want to do that, or [insert other method of earning gold], I used everything I had and bankrupted myself" then you've undone your own argument, because you elected, like a crazy person, to spend actually cold hard US currency to continue. Maybe running out of money should've been a solid indicator that the challenge was too much for them to handle :[

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What mini? Liadri?

I read on reddit or something that the pavilion would be there til September 1st or whenever that tuesday in September is so I'm not in a particular rush.

REVIVE ORBS!!!!!

Actually...do those even work in there? That sounds like a great idea if they do.

Levyne

Banned
I assume they were hard up for gold and time and bought gems to convert to gold to buy tickets to the gauntlet? Or maybe they were just being cute and wanted to assign a dollar/gem value to their effort.

Wallach

The entire thread is definitely not a total waste, and there's a lot of reasonable perspectives in there. There's a number of legitimate issues with the entire gauntlet, much less Liadri alone.

There's also a fair number of posts like the one I linked which mostly just satisfy my appetite for schadenfreude. She just breaks some people.

Taffer

I assume they were hard up for gold and time and bought gems to convert to gold to buy tickets to the gauntlet? Or maybe they were just being cute and wanted to assign a dollar/gem value to their effort.

Official forums: everything is a ruse to make you buy gems.
Everything

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Actually it was BOTH!
Spending the 18.5 initial gold, plus the $10 actual money to sell the gems for even more tickets, repairs, waypoints fees, etc. All in all w’ere talking about around $20 USD after all is said and done in actual ingame gold equivalent expense. Again, as stated had it not been a mini, I’d not have bothered.
I just don't really get it though. Talking about the potential expense is pretty relevant to the dumbass RNG boxes- wherein spending an infinite amount of money, could, theoretically, see you never getting the reward you desire. But the Liadri mini's bottleneck isn't gold or gems or dollars, it's skill.

edit: shit. I'm usually so good about not double posting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
bleep bloop!

From reading that thread I learned that the Liadri fight is different depending on which dome you do it in. o_O

Wallach

Do you mean the pattern of darkness attacks she does?

No, the pool locations. The most noticeable change is usually the second pool, as it is right up against the wall on most of them, but a few (namely the NW arena) it is much further away from the wall.

Levyne

Banned
Only thing I remember being really different is where the first orb object appears. Or maybe more than the first, but after the first it matters less.

Maybe the aoe pattern too...I dunno. All in all I think it took me like 20 tries based on the number of revive orbs I used.

Edit: Oh. Swirly-whirlies

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
REVIVE ORBS!!!!!

Actually...do those even work in there? That sounds like a great idea if they do.
No way.
Do you mean the pattern of darkness attacks she does?
Shrug!
um, the asuran dome? doesn’t a white pool spawn right up against the wall?
i didn’t get killed doing that one, but i’m sure it wasn’t as easy as other matches
try the one over pyroxis, if you haven’t quit already..

Retro

Seems an item code similar to this ([&AgEVIQAA]) has been available for a while, but this appears to be a new one... so either this has been there for a while, or they're throwing more in. Not sure what it is, but it's clearly not for the next update... too unfinished, and we'd have heard about something this important by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom