• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Heroic edition contains an 18 slot box and 10 exp boosters. And some armor skins I guess.

Not upset with that forum topic, though I guess it helps that I was a winner in this case.

You know, I never really thought much about being able to sell or being a reseller to this extent. So much anger. Click at own risk.

It's an ocean of tears for nothing. No matter they reason they redeemed the tickets or the reason that others didn't redeem the tickets.. it is what it is. It's literally the equivalent of bitching about bind on equip. "Oh because the other guy never equipped it, he can sell it but because I equipped it because I wanted to see what it looked like running around in the wrold, now I can't sell it? It's the exact same weapon Anet! QQQQQQQQ"

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
It's an ocean of tears for nothing. No matter they reason they redeemed the tickets or the reason that others didn't redeem the tickets.. it is what it is. It's literally the equivalent of bitching about bind on equip. "Oh because the other guy never equipped it, he can sell it but because I equipped it because I wanted to see what it looked like running around in the wrold, now I can't sell it? It's the exact same weapon Anet! QQQQQQQQ"

Eh I don't think it's the equivalent of bind on equip at all. It would be the equivalent if they used the skins then wanted to resell them but that's not the case here. I think those people have a perfectly legitimate point. Just because someone bought the skin earlier than another person shouldn't mean they suddenly can't sell it now. That just doesn't make much sense.

Eh I don't think it's the equivalent of bind on equip at all. It would be the equivalent if they used the skins then wanted to resell them but that's not the case here. I think those people have a perfectly legitimate point. Just because someone bought the skin earlier than another person shouldn't mean they suddenly can't sell it now. That just doesn't make much sense.

It makes perfect sense because there was a policy change going forward. They would only have a legitimate complaint if Anet had always planned to make those skins available for sale on the TP but that absolutely isn't the case.

And at the end of the day, those players bought the Black Lion Chests attempting to get tickets because they wanted the skins. The only reason they want to be able to sell skins they haven't applied is because due to the change, now they deem the gold more valuable than the aesthetic. That's what makes it like BoE. They wanted the look but changed their mind after the fact and now they want to sell it because of the relative value in selling it. Sorry but buyers remorse isn't a legitimate reason to allow such a thing. And I say that as a player who has multiple skins that are account bound that I've never used.

I have no doubt we'll see similar silly complaints when the new legendaries come out. "Well I got my legendary before the new ones but I like the new ones better. I should be able to just trade my current one for a new one."

Hyunashi

At the end of the day, ANET should have left it as is, soul bound and untradable, as they initially were. There was no indication that it would ever end up like this. It would have saved alot of tears.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
At the end of the day, trying to look at this as pragmatically as possible, in "videogames are for fun" terms I always thought it particularly sad that many people due to RNG luck had obtained without conscious effort tickets for a set or sets of skins that they had no interest in whatsoever, while others tried hundreds of random attempts and obtained nothing, with no way for the two groups to benefit mutually.

The way I see it now some more people have the opportunity to get rare skins they may have strongly desired from those people who didn't care enough about said skins to even select a particular one. I see that as a good thing and perhaps it's a highly unpopular opinion but I actually don't consider who does or does not get the opportunity to profit monetarily (in Monopoly terms) all that important.

Arcteryx

It makes perfect sense because there was a policy change going forward. They would only have a legitimate complaint if Anet had always planned to make those skins available for sale on the TP but that absolutely isn't the case.

And at the end of the day, those players bought the Black Lion Chests attempting to get tickets because they wanted the skins. The only reason they want to be able to sell skins they haven't applied is because due to the change, now they deem the gold more valuable than the aesthetic. That's what makes it like BoE. They wanted the look but changed their mind after the fact and now they want to sell it because of the relative value in selling it. Sorry but buyers remorse isn't a legitimate reason to allow such a thing. And I say that as a player who has multiple skins that are account bound that I've never used.

I have no doubt we'll see similar silly complaints when the new legendaries come out. "Well I got my legendary before the new ones but I like the new ones better. I should be able to just trade my current one for a new one."

eh that isn't "similar" at all. They should have just left it as is.

At the end of the day, trying to look at this as pragmatically as possible, in "videogames are for fun" terms I always thought it particularly sad that many people due to RNG luck had obtained without conscious effort tickets for a set or sets of skins that they had no interest in whatsoever, while others tried hundreds of random attempts and obtained nothing, with no way for the two groups to benefit mutually.

The way I see it now some more people have the opportunity to get rare skins they may have strongly desired from those people who didn't care enough about said skins to even select a particular one. I see that as a good thing and perhaps it's a highly unpopular opinion but I actually don't consider who does or does not get the opportunity to profit monetarily (in Monopoly terms) all that important.

The issue I see with the Fused Skins is that they aren't exactly in line with the original "prices". I think I paid maybe ~70g total for keys and got 2 skins; most of the skins are well over 2-300g. I'd much rather see things like that be timed, and if needed they could be brought back at different points during the year(basically like a BL sale, but instead it would allow for different ticket drops).

I don't really see people benefitting from it aside from those who are just going to snatch them up and manipulate the prices on them.

Lunar15

So I made an account and downloaded the game in preparation for the free weekend. I figured I'll make a Norn character, since to me all the races kind of suck. Should I just pick whatever class I think looks most interesting? I'm probably going to pick guardian.

Any tips for a new player?

As someone who hates most fantasy races, this is one of the few games where I absolutely love every single race, even Humans!

Also, you're correct to make a Norn, they're the best, Although, keep in mind that they have a slower run animation due to the fact that they're bigger. I think it looks good though.

I can't speak for classes, since I've basically only played a Guardian since launch. But, on the flipside, I can tell you that I've been playing a Guardian since launch because they're amazing. They have the least ranged abilities of all the classes though, so keep that in mind.

As far as Tips go, you can't beat Retro's Tips for Beginners. My main tip is that you honestly get more experience from exploring than you do from killing monsters. Run around, look at places, find jumping puzzles and vistas. If you get bored with one area, hop a gate to Lion's Arch (the main city) and then go to all the other racial cities from there. This isn't a standard MMO where you go to an area and grind out quest after quest. You may go to an area that looks uneventful, but then all of a sudden a big event could pop right in front of you.

Also, if you have a 360 controller hooked up to your PC, I heartily recommend using it for this game. Hawkian has made a great guide for this here

Honestly, all you have to do is say the words "how do I..." in this thread and someone will drop out of the sky with an insanely thorough megapost detailing everything you could possibly need to know. It's a dangerous power.

Levyne

Banned
Guardian is a nice class. If you get bored of things being too easy and face tanking everything and never breaking a sweat, you can always roll Ranger.

Lunar15

I rolled a mesmer last night. They're interesting. They definitely seem like a class that only really opens up late game. Any tips for the leveling phase?

Also, it feels weird being a human. This game looks really big now.

If you actually want to master the game you need to play an Engineer. If you want easy-mode-baby-version of the game than play any of the professions listed above.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I tried popping the game and holy shit a lot of stuff has changed!

Man character slots are expensive :/

Levyne

Banned
Ranger is actually really easy in open pve since the pet does so much to keep pressure off of the player. It's just dungeon instances or fighting other players where you have to work a little harder.

I rolled a mesmer last night. They're interesting. They definitely seem like a class that only really opens up late game. Any tips for the leveling phase?

Also, it feels weird being a human. This game looks really big now.

Until you hit about level 30, your best friends will be sword/focus and greatsword. This will give you a good feel for how to handle yourself at any range.

Abandond

I'm back on this addiction, and I've been playing for a few days but my achievement "Portal Invasion Closer" under "Emissary Vorrp's Field Assistant" is not going up. It's been at 1/5 since yesterday and I've done at least 6 invasions. Any ideas?

Edit: Also, is this a requirement to get into the Playhouse?

Levyne

Banned
It seems to be very wonky. Some people have had luck jumping in at the end of an invasion and getting credit, others present the whole time and not getting credit.

Failure seems to not be an issue for those counters, but again different people seem to experience different things.

All I think I know is that completing at least one of the individual event seems to be required (The one invasion I didn't get credit on, the only thing I did was kill scarlet at the end. Got the event reward but no counter progress.)

It also seems like moving from one overflow to another is a bad idea though some people have reported getting credit while doing that. I imagine it's okay to ferry as long as you haven't participated in yoir initial version, but things seem more hazy if you particpate in ome but then switch partway through. But again, seems like it's different for everyone....

Edit: You can party with someone who has unlocked the playhouse similar to an exp dungeon. But yeah, getting that counter to five and then another invasion to gather doodads is the personal requirement to unlock.

Edit 2: Did you do all 6 of yoir invasions after the closing ceremony instance and the dialogues in Gendarren? Those need to be done first.

Oh god, I want to get this and devote some real time to it. WTB 6-day weekends...

Do it, it's awesome. The most heartfelt love letter to Shadow over Mystara you'll ever play (fitting, considering Kamitani's involvement with the Mystara games and his lifelong obsession about making a worthy sequel).

Another reason I'm playing this rather than GW2 is that we don't have a second GW2-capable PC for Gema anymore, but we can play DC together.

Retro

I'm back on this addiction, and I've been playing for a few days but my achievement "Portal Invasion Closer" under "Emissary Vorrp's Field Assistant" is not going up. It's been at 1/5 since yesterday and I've done at least 6 invasions. Any ideas?

Edit: Also, is this a requirement to get into the Playhouse?

The only thing I can think of is that you didn't do any of the Living Story stuff first. Have you done the bit where you go to Gandaren Fields and such?

As to getting in the Playhouse, you can join a group with someone who's already done the Living Story missions and piggyback their instance.

I bought this game at launch but quickly lost interest and moved on. I saw a post linking to Hawkian's controller mod in the One Year Later thread and it intrigued me enough that I reinstalled the game and gave it a shot. After messing around with a couple classes I've come to find that Engineer is pretty fun and makes for an enjoyable break between Dota 2 sessions. I plan on just taking my time and exploring the world, if I could get an invite to the GAF guild that would be great. My little guys name is Gearwave.

Also, what's the easiest way to use AoE abilities with the controller? I shy away from grenades and things like that because having to hold the back button, move the cursor and hit RB isn't the most intuitive thing to pull off in middle of combat.

Not entirely sure it's the entire solution, but turning on Fast-cast ground targeting (check box in the main options menu opened by hitting F11) is extremely important to playing a good grenade engineer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, never read the comments on that forum. Some of the most overly-privileged, over-demanding trolls I've read.
This thread is one of the worst I've seen. I keep coming back to the question of where the sense of entitlement comes from. As if players of this game as consumers of a product are not only particularly owed what they desire most, but that they have also earned the privilege of being roughly as disrespectful as possible while demanding them.
No one expects WvW to be all about hard core PvP, but no one also expects it to be carebear, hello kitty island adventure either. This game has taken ‘lowering the bar’ to an epic new level.
I will never play a free to play mmo again. Ill take the 15$ fee all day if it holds the company accountable for growth and expansion. This model doesnt work clearly.
If they charge me $15/month rather then me spending the equiv in the gemstore all the apologists that think its ok to treat us like garbage because we are not paying a sub will have to find another excuse..
You get what you pay for…
Or in GW2 case you get nothing that you paid for and instead are consistently ignored, treated as a second class player, and expected to accept being lied to by a band of PvE casual pandering developers who don’t refine the competitive and challenging components of their game not because of lack of effort but rather due to a surplus of incompetence.
Pathetic. There's nothing wrong with a desire for hypercompetitive pvp and god knows WvW needs plenty of work. But this is what a dev gets in response to saying "heads up, watch two days from now." I don't envy their team the task of just trying to objectively make the game better. I don't know if I'd have it in me to not just do the exact opposite of what these "hardcore" want in the hopes of driving them away.

I find myself desperate to believe that these people are not members of my generation. It's an odd sensation. Though considering I am just, just barely outside of gaming's golden demographic, it's probably wishful thinking.

On a lighter note, I can't possibly be the only one to have gotten a kick out of this analogy:
Once ESO comes out, I’m assuming about half the player base will leave. Same thing happened to swtor when gw2 came out.

Abandond

Yeah, I did the prerequisites for it two days ago, it's at 2/5 now, guess it's just going up randomly, heh.

But yeah, I avoid the GW2 forums and subreddit like the fucking plague.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I bought this game at launch but quickly lost interest and moved on. I saw a post linking to Hawkian's controller mod in the One Year Later thread and it intrigued me enough that I reinstalled the game and gave it a shot. After messing around with a couple classes I've come to find that Engineer is pretty fun and makes for an enjoyable break between Dota 2 sessions. I plan on just taking my time and exploring the world, if I could get an invite to the GAF guild that would be great. My little guys name is Gearwave.

Also, what's the easiest way to use AoE abilities with the controller? I shy away from grenades and things like that because having to hold the back button, move the cursor and hit RB isn't the most intuitive thing to pull off in middle of combat.
AOE abilities in general and engi grenades in particular work really, really well with the intended camera/"crosshair" aiming. The script is very likely not functioning properly for you. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot it. First off, are you using Windows 8?
He's probably right, actually. I know I'm gonna unsub once ESO comes out, I'm sure many others will do the same.
Better man than me... I never even subscribed :X
Yeah, I did the prerequisites for it two days ago, it's at 2/5 now, guess it's just going up randomly, heh.
For me, overflow hopping is the only aspect I've noticed has prevented me from getting the completion. That is, starting out and making any progress/clearing events on one, then transferring to another through to completion = no advancement. Don't know if that applies to you, but the 2 in which I did this I didn't get credit, all the rest I did.
But yeah, I avoid the GW2 forums and subreddit like the fucking plague.
Truthfully, fun as it is to give reddit a hard time in general, I don't have all that much ill to say about the subreddit. The community seems generally pretty constructive.
I've been wrong before.

I like the hype in that thread about Unchained. How quickly people forget that Marc Jacobs helmed Warhammer Online which heavily focused on RvR... where people actually DID focus on trading towers and where he listened to the QQ so intently that balanced classes were nerfed so badly people quit the game. WAR was destroyed by Jacobs decisions well before he left. But he made DAoC so everyone is rocking those rose tinted glasses with the WAR blinders on super hard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That reddit thread gave me a hearty set of laughs:
This thread we are speaking in at this very moment might be an easy target to describe as a circlejerk. But I can nonetheless recognize delusion when I see it.
Do we really need to link everything that shows that people dislike aspects the game and give snarky commentary?
Hmn. You really think that's what's going on?

Dec

Is there some use in quoting assholes on other sites that I am not getting?

"This forum is shit, don't go there."

"Hey guys, I went there and brought quotes back! Look how dumb they are!"

Abandond

AOE abilities in general and engi grenades in particular work really, really well with the intended camera/"crosshair" aiming. The script is very likely not functioning properly for you. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot it. First off, are you using Windows 8?

Better man than me... I never even subscribed :X

For me, overflow hopping is the only aspect I've noticed has prevented me from getting the completion. That is, starting out and making any progress/clearing events on one, then transferring to another through to completion = no advancement. Don't know if that applies to you, but the 2 in which I did this I didn't get credit, all the rest I did.
Truthfully, fun as it is to give reddit a hard time in general, I don't have all that much ill to say about the subreddit. The community seems generally pretty constructive.

I've been wrong before.

I'll try not to hop at all then, I can usually get into the non overflow if I pay attention.

Maybe I've just gone on at the wrong times, :p.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I don't give a crap about them being dumb, if in fact they are. Lacking intelligence is not a vice. The thread nataku posted having a relevant announcement from a dev is the only reason it caught my attention, and sometimes I find it fascinating to dissect the level of unwarranted vitriol that afflicts MMO communities, especially when I can't really nail down where it comes from. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's inexplicable.

Nonetheless I apologize for discussing my personal fascination instead of more relevant things.
Enlighten me.
I feel that you have misinterpreted why I posted particular quotes and I specifically don't think any of them showcase people disliking aspects of the game... I considered them examples of ambiguous dissatisfaction and frustration, expressed pretty disrespectfully in response to something as innocuous as a dev saying to watch Friday's livestream. I am sorry for derailing the thread.

Do we really need to link everything that shows that people dislike aspects the game and give snarky commentary?

It's another form of discussion about the game and when brought up in this thread, it often leads to our own discussion of the same topics that otherwise wouldn't have been discussed at all.

The vast majority of GAF GW2 players hardly post in here so we don't get the same variety of topics of discussion and we don't have nearly the full gamut of opinions in this thread either. Personal insults against those that can't defend themselves may be a bit out of line but expressing a viewpoint that counters those posted on the Official Forum isn't in poor taste at all.

It's not derailing or suffocating other topics either. So I don't get what the issue is.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it must be. The last thing I want this thread to do is have the topic of discussion become a questioning of why we are discussing what we're discussing and it's already happened twice. So best to just drop it in favor of other topics, and I know I was the catalyst so I'll try to help that along.

If you're trying to sell somebody on this game remember it's $49.99 base now and at the moment $36.99 at gmg.

Levyne

Banned
I don't buy those justifications but I will be quiet. Just feels like this thread can appear really insular to dissenting opinions about this game, whether it's a misinterpretation or not. And I say that as someone who enjoys this game a lot. If I am misinterpreting you, I wonder what people who are less invested in or more critical of the game come away with. Or maybe I am just a fucking dumbshit and it's just me. It may lead to discussion, sure, but the general "how pathetic" tonality is starting to annoy me I guess.

Dec

It's another form of discussion about the game and when brought up in this thread, it often leads to our own discussion of the same topics that otherwise wouldn't have been discussed at all.

The vast majority of GAF GW2 players hardly post in here so we don't get the same variety of topics of discussion and we don't have nearly the full gamut of opinions in this thread either. Personal insults against those that can't defend themselves may be a bit out of line but expressing a viewpoint that counters those posted on the Official Forum isn't in poor taste at all.

It's not derailing or suffocating other topics either. So I don't get what the issue is.

Seems like a 90/10% ratio of calling them entitled/discussing the merits of their arguments.

Ashodin

I don't buy those justifications but I will be quiet. Just feels like this thread can appear really insular to dissenting opinions about this game, whether it's a misinterpretation or not. And I say that as someone who enjoys this game a lot. If I am misinterpreting you, I wonder what people who are less invested in or more critical of the game come away with. Or maybe I am just a fucking dumbshit and it's just me. It may lead to discussion, sure, but the general "how pathetic" tonality is starting to annoy me I guess.

Whoa no need to self-deprecate. We all have issues with the game, but part of the fun of enjoying the game (at least for me) is seeing how much others absolutely hate it seemingly with no reason other than that it's different from what they expect. And that's never a good reason.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In reference to the Vorpp's Emissary achievement quirkiness with overflows, bear in mind that the only reward (outside of achievement points of course) for completing that quest is to regain access to the pavilion, which you can easily accomplish by running the funhouse instance with someone who has it as an alternative. Then you can get your remaining invasions done more leisurely.

There are two other little quirks with the new achievements: for those that don't have the "funhouse instance without dying" achievement yet (which includes me!), note that being downed counts as dying so best to just restart the instance even if you rally. The other is that the "jump into a hay bale Ezio-style" achievement needs to be done in the true, non-instanced Pavilion rather than the funhouse, where you won't see the bale at all.

I need to redo instance for perfection achievement aswell.

I think it looks more like an Altair-style pile of hay.

Is it me or it seems like QA really dropped the ball this update?

Ashodin

Castlevania-Dracula.gif

For Retro
May you find another game worthy of your playing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom