• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I don't buy those justifications but I will be quiet. Just feels like this thread can appear really insular to dissenting opinions about this game, whether it's a misinterpretation or not. And I say that as someone who enjoys this game a lot. If I am misinterpreting you, I wonder what people who are less invested in or more critical of the game come away with. Or maybe I am just a fucking dumbshit and it's just me. It may lead to discussion, sure, but the general "how pathetic" tonality is starting to annoy me I guess.

The meta discussion around that Official Forum thread in particular is happening because no critical thought is applied to many of those posts and they are filled with content more in line with disparaging the devs' ability than anything else.

One liners saying there is no endgame and that B2P is not a viable model are easily dismissed.

Retro

I thought we were poking fun at the level of absurd hate spewing out of peoples' mouths, not the comments that they are making. Take this post for example,

Devon, someone should ask you what your business plan via your job of “updating wvw as LEAD designer” is for when other games come out and gw2 blows up. Answer that question with some straight to the point facts brother.

This is so unbelievably disrespectful and unwarranted after the developer in question merely said "watch the livestream Friday." I get that this guy has problems with the game; lots of people (including myself) do. But it's the tone that's worth dissecting rather than the fact that someone somewhere doesn't like the game.

I seriously though were were just discussing the depth to which Official Forums sink, not standing around calling people who don't like the game 'stupid'. If we were just doing that, then we should definitely stop, but I didn't get that impression at all.

AOE abilities in general and engi grenades in particular work really, really well with the intended camera/"crosshair" aiming. The script is very likely not functioning properly for you. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot it. First off, are you using Windows 8?

Vista 64-bit. The cursor almost always appears right on top of my character.

Lunar15

I thought it was a legitimate complaint (referring to the skins). But it is often hard to tell because too many people on the forum react with such vitriol that you'd think Anet shot their dog or something.

I guess just chill out on calling out official forum hate. We know it exists, no need to call it out just for the sake of calling it out. I dunno.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's accurate, Retro. My intent was to talk about the level of disrespect, not to dismiss the criticisms coated by it. More specifically, I was looking for insight as to where it originated in this particular case because Devon wasn't... I mean he ostensibly was just throwing them a bone in a thread intended just to criticize.I did make fun of the guy saying that swtor->GW2 and GW2->ESO are equivalent scenarios, so I am guilty of being glib there. We should just move on though. :/
I thought it was a legitimate complaint (referring to the skins).
I guess just chill out on calling out official forum hate.
Just for clarification, the thread about the skins is about the median for the forum and nothing particularly out of the ordinary for community behavior; the WvW thread with Devon was in my opinion a completely different story.
A Serious Man said:
Vista 64-bit. The cursor almost always appears right on top of my character.
Okay good, should be no OS conflict.

Right on top of... that sound right. Er. I mean. On top of, like... over... wait, how do I express this. Above, or covering your character? Basically it should be always centered a couple of in-game "feet" above the top of your character's head.

Wait I made a detailed mockup:
jBmWSMmI5dRLh.png

Is that where it seems like the cursor is fixed?

Trey

We always reference the problems that we have with the game but I think I'm gonna take the time out to type them out. Later.

Okay good, should be no OS conflict.

Right on top of... that sound right. Er. I mean. On top of, like... over... wait, how do I express this. Above, or covering your character? Basically it should be always centered a couple of in-game "feet" above the top of your character's head.

Wait I made a detailed mockup:
http://i.minus.com/jBmWSMmI5dRLh.png[IMG]

Is that where it seems like the cursor is fixed?[/QUOTE]

After messing with it for a little bit, I realized that it just appears wherever I left the cursor when I was in pointer mode. I gather the cursor is supposed to reset to the center of the screen, ahead of my character?

jersoc

alright, im determined to get a zodiac skin. making a new char and running to lvl 10 quest once a day til victory or defeat in 2 weeks!

only takes like 25 mins with a guardian and twinked out armor and weapon. so no biggie.

Trey

alright, im determined to get a zodiac skin. making a new char and running to lvl 10 quest once a day til victory or defeat in 2 weeks!

only takes like 25 mins with a guardian and twinked out armor and weapon. so no biggie.

I'm guessing a BL key is a personal story reward?

Retro

We always reference the problems that we have with the game but I think I'm gonna take the time out to type them out. Later.

You know, I had this thought earlier, I think I might actually enjoy it a little. Plus, if it's done in a civil, respectful manner and there's some actual thought put into the comments rather than the usual "I HAT X, FIX IT YOU MORANS!!!!!111" that gets posted on the Official Forums, there's a chance it might just be taken seriously.

I'm guessing a BL key is a personal story reward?

Yes, for your personal Story you get a BLKey at 10, 30/31 and 50.

Abandond

Do you have a high level? Because when I tried doing this (granted I didn't spend any time with gear and stuff), spamming path 3 on CoF for gold and trading that in for gems -> keys was faster. Then again that was a long time ago, wouldn't be surprised if they nerfed path 3.

Any reason to open the gear boxes early? I'm keeping them til I get at least a stack.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After messing with it for a little bit, I realized that it just appears wherever I left the cursor when I was in pointer mode. I gather the cursor is supposed to reset to the center of the screen, ahead of my character?
Yes, it constantly resets to that location, making "crosshair" (I keep putting it in quotes because unless you're playing in windowed mode, you can't actually see a crosshair- but you can pretend it's there) targeting possible and AOE aiming a breeze.

Since that's not happening for you, a function of the AHK script is not working right. What I would try is turning off Windows User Account Control and rebooting, and seeing if there's a difference. Let me know if you need instruction on that.
Do you have a high level? Because when I tried doing this (granted I didn't spend any time with gear and stuff), spamming path 3 on CoF for gold and trading that in for gems -> keys was faster. Then again that was a long time ago, wouldn't be surprised if they nerfed path 3.

Any reason to open the gear boxes early? I'm keeping them til I get at least a stack.
WOW you quit early ;) COF3 hasn't been a hotspot since before 2013! COF1 was the hotness for ages after that, but recently the dungeon gold reward structure was completely overhauled (now running multiple paths per day is the way to go versus repeating).

edit: Sorry didn't finish the thought- and while there are more efficient sources of rapid gold acquisition than dungeons now, the gold to gem rate has also suffered.

Retro

None that I know of, they don't appear to drop any limited-time skins or even Gauntlet Tickets. The only reason I can think of not to is that you'd have to constantly stop the orgy of loot to clean out your inventory.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
One reason would be, on a character being leveled, they might happen to contain a relevant gear upgrade (armor/weapon)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, remember that the Clockwork Chaos dailies also contribute to the meta achievement. Just as you didn't have to do the Pavilion for the Jubilee meta you don't have to complete invasions for the current one.

Abandond

WOW you quit early ;) COF3 hasn't been a hotspot since before 2013! COF1 was the hotness for ages after that, but recently the dungeon gold reward structure was completely overhauled (now running multiple paths per day is the way to go versus repeating).

edit: Sorry didn't finish the thought- and while there are more efficient sources of rapid gold acquisition than dungeons now, the gold to gem rate has also suffered.

Yeaaaah. I got my legendary and was so burnt out at that point because it was so frustrating making all of the gold. (seriously fuck the whole 100 gold at an NPC)

What are these new methods? I like money.

None that I know of, they don't appear to drop any limited-time skins or even Gauntlet Tickets. The only reason I can think of not to is that you'd have to constantly stop the orgy of loot to clean out your inventory.

That's fine, I have four guild banks I can use.

Katoki

I only have 10 of 13 so I think I'm doing really good. Those events are really draining but it gets worse the more you do.

Yes, it constantly resets to that location, making "crosshair" (I keep putting it in quotes because unless you're playing in windowed mode, you can't actually see a crosshair- but you can pretend it's there) targeting possible and AOE aiming a breeze.

Since that's not happening for you, a function of the AHK script is not working right. What I would try is turning off Windows User Account Control and rebooting, and seeing if there's a difference. Let me know if you need instruction on that.

This worked, thank you. You are a gentleman and a scholar.

nataku

I just want to say the new sound for achievements is terrible. It's really out of place and way too loud. Sounds like something you'd hear in an IM client. The old slot machine / chime and tinkle sound was so much better. Simple, but satisfying to hear.

Complistic

I just want to say the new sound for achievements is terrible. It's really out of place and way too loud. Sounds like something you'd hear in an IM client. The old slot machine / chime and tinkle sound was so much better. Simple, but satisfying to hear.

I really don't like it either. It's super jarring.

Anerf strikes again...

Updated the advanced event scaling system to slightly reduce the rate of champions created by events scaling up in difficulty. Some of these events can now have lieutenant mobs appear as the event scales up.

Luigi87

Now, since Lieutenants seemed to have first appeared in the world during invasions, does this scaling count only for invasions do you think, or all world champ scaling spawn?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just realize I'm not around to do makeups if any were requested tonight; sorry about that. I won't be on til a bit later.

Re: champions, my overflow specifically failed the Lornar's Pass invasion yesterday because two commanders convinced their groups in map chat to ignore Aetherblade captains so that champs would keep spawning. I was told to "go to PvP if I want to win things" and that I was "disillusioned" for wanting to succeed at the challenge at the expense of a handful more bags. We weren't even close, with barely under 50% of the final wave done on failure. I thought it might have been an isolated problem and had no idea that it was widespread enough to provoke a response; the other invasion I took part in yesterday was awesome and I didn't run into it at all on tuesday, but obviously my experience was not as unique as I thought. I approve of this change and am glad they didn't wait longer to take action.

edit: What are lieutenants?
Awesome. I think you'll really dig grenades with it. Truth be told, I found all the clicking necessary to do grenades with M+K totally intolerable (which is why many turn fast-cast on).

Luigi87

No joke, this almost made us fail the Scarlet attacks over on Tarnished Coast. We won by like 45 seconds. People (myself included) were hunting champions over her mobs. :p

At least you can get to TC main. I get into overflow 10 seconds after the update <_<

Guess this will fully kill ember farm even post-Clockwork Chaos?

Describing a normal person, that might sound like a gross exaggeration. For Hawkian, it feels like an understatement. :)

Also, I'm quite excited for newer MMOs to be released. Can't wait for GW2 to stop being the "new kid in town" bash target. There is stuff to be criticised, and I for one welcome reasonable, constructive criticism of the game (including all of what I've seen from folks in this one thread), but the kind of stuff one usually encounters in the official forums leads nowhere; it's just the background droning of madmen. Once the MMO hoppers (actually an annoyingly vocal minority, if the people I've encountered in-game are an indication) find a new game to play and criticise, we should see a lot less of this ungrateful dev harassing (and perhaps some of the legitimate criticisms will find more receptive ears).

To be fair, the WoW official forums were positively noxious when I was playing the game circa mid-late aughts. No amount of verbal abuse for the game and its devs resulted in any moderation (to say nothing of bans), short of death threats (and perhaps even those!), resulting in a ridiculous ratio of hateful trolls.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aw damn, thanks man. by the way Serious Man, Weltall is the one that implemented all of the cursor-repositioning magic that makes the controller solution such a joy to use :)

Well you guys are awesome. I don't know if I've ever seen a mod improve the gameplay experience of a game as much as this one. It went from being a game I had no interest in to one I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Rafterman

Banned
Re: champions, my overflow specifically failed the Lornar's Pass invasion yesterday because two commanders convinced their groups in map chat to ignore Aetherblade captains so that champs would keep spawning. I was told to "go to PvP if I want to win things" and that I was "disillusioned" for wanting to succeed at the challenge at the expense of a handful more bags. We weren't even close, with barely under 50% of the final wave done on failure. I thought it might have been an isolated problem and had no idea that it was widespread enough to provoke a response; the other invasion I took part in yesterday was awesome and I didn't run into it at all on tuesday, but obviously my experience was not as unique as I thought. I approve of this change and am glad they didn't wait longer to take action.

It's a knee jerk short term "fix" that will hurt the event in the long term. Once people have their achievements they aren't going to keep running 45 minute events that don't spawn Champs. And if they do it's going to cause more failures, not less, because people will just make bigger zergs in order to get Champs to spawn.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get their achievements in the next week or so, it's going to be a bitch to get them later. Between the farming, the afk'ers, and just plain burn out you are going to see a lot more failures going forward. Considering the difference in loot between winning and losing many don't even care if they win at this point.

Rafterman

Banned
We'll see.

They still spawn champs by the way.

Yeah, they still spawn, but the amount of people needed to make them spawn was raised, which means bigger zergs. I'd bet money the percentage of event successes goes down, not up, because of this.

Like you said, we'll see.

Wallach

It's a knee jerk short term "fix" that will hurt the event in the long term. Once people have their achievements they aren't going to keep running 45 minute events that don't spawn Champs. And if they do it's going to cause more failures, not less, because people will just make bigger zergs in order to get Champs to spawn.

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't get their achievements in the next week or so, it's going to be a bitch to get them later. Between the farming, the afk'ers, and just plain burn out you are going to see a lot more failures going forward. Considering the difference in loot between winning and losing many don't even care if they win at this point.

These events are way easier with less players, so if there's not as many people in the zone farming champs, I can't see how it is going to cause more failures. The only thing causing failures in the first place is when zergs get to the point that the scaling keeps them at portals for too long.

Jira

These events are way easier with less players, so if there's not as many people in the zone farming champs, I can't see how it is going to cause more failures. The only thing causing failures in the first place is when zergs get to the point that the scaling keeps them at portals for too long.

Yep.

Complistic

zerg size really doesn't seem to be influencing champion spawn rate for the invasions. I actually got more champs to spawn when I was in groups of about 10 to 15 than when I was in the mega 40+ groups.

Katoki

This helps the smaller groups pushing the events popping everywhere though. I can't tell you how many times we had a group of 8-10 or so and a champion show up so we had to decide whether to call for help or try to not wipe with the additional things spawning around us. Stuff like the Aetherblade events really mess people up.

I can't say for the overall response from the population since the farm is "being taken away" ...in short.

hythloday

I just want to say this to anyone who is starting GW2 for the first time this weekend during the free trial:

Welcome! And I hope you have a fun weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom