• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi87

So still need Gendarren (which I did but it didn't count =/) and Dredgehaunt, then I'll be done all the Clockwork achievements.

Lunar15

So, I managed to do two paths of SE, one invasion, and the final Scarlet instance tonight and got a lot of great rewards without ever really grinding any one thing. That's why I like this game, despite the flaws of individual portions.

Whooter

I tried to log in for shits and giggles a few hours ago and to my surprise, it appears to already be active! Noodled around with a Thief character for a bit. Fun stuff, so far!

Abandond

So what exactly did Anet nerf? The chance of champions appearing during the invasion? People were farming that or is it something else?

Jira

Man the trial players are causing huge skill lag. Do note that this is insanely abnormal and is due to a huge influx of players on top of the regular players.

Levyne

Banned
I read it as: in general, scaling effects have been dampened. Accomplished by including more lieutenants into the scaling instead of going straight to champs.

Rafterman

Banned
I'll say one thing about these events, they are like power leveling for alts. My Warrior was 41 when the invasions started...I just dinged 76.

Rafterman

Banned
Ok, so overflow sucks. I just spent 40 minutes in an overflow doing the event, got disconnected, and upon log in was in a different overflow that had no event. That's just stupid. You'd think if ANet can figure out how to let people play on their home server, they'd at least keep you tied to a zone long enough for you to log back in to it after a 30 second disconnect.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm. I remember when they finally implemented sone like that for gw1 when you could get back to your instance after short dieconnects. Now fully populated zones might be significantly different though...I can see hiw that could be exceedingly annoying especially if you were working on the 13 unique zones thing. Unfortunate :(

jersoc

Do you have a high level? Because when I tried doing this (granted I didn't spend any time with gear and stuff), spamming path 3 on CoF for gold and trading that in for gems -> keys was faster. Then again that was a long time ago, wouldn't be surprised if they nerfed path 3.

Any reason to open the gear boxes early? I'm keeping them til I get at least a stack.

gold to gems is shit now. its like 1g for 20. if was still like 1g for 40 i would be trading more in. i made bank from deadeye

also of course i have a high level lol.

Partner: I'll update Windows on BootCamp and install the free trial.
Me: Here's the money, buy the full game

The number of MMOs I've bought for people over the years *sigh*

And by partner I mean the glass Quaggan lady. XD

Mxrz

I started working on the Queen's gauntlet this morning since I have completed everything else for this month. I made it up to Liadri without much issue. Figuring I should get the other achievements first, I started with the 5 gambit thing.

50-75 gauntlet passes, 15 gold, 24 commendations, 30 laurels, 300 cof tokens, some ruby orbs and hour or two later. . .I got it. Fucking hell. I came close a number of times, but even following the pattern in various videos I could never finish it off. When I started running low passes, I said screw it and fully zerked out my warrior.

Annoyed 7 am rant; - I like ANet. I've been a fan since 2005. But GW2 is starting to feel like one big dps check in pve. What's the point of defensive stats if most special attacks ignore it, or bosses have instant-death attacks, or in the case of the gauntlet the timer is so fast that you need to kill stuff immediately. Meh. Anyway. Going to take a while to build up the laurels and commendations again after gearing out two characters. So hold off on the ascended gear update, plox, ANet.

Are the arena and gauntlet at the pavilion staying long term? I like them but, I'm not too into the process required to be allowed back into it. If it's just temporary I won't worry about it.

Retro

Edit: Apparently ArenaNet mailed out a free WvW Booster to everyone this morning... or maybe I'm just special.

So Hythloday had a good idea, I think we'll spend the weekend in the lowbie zones helping Free Trial members learn the ropes. Having a nice, warm community to greet you when you first start playing an MMO is really nice and seeing everything through their eyes can make the game feel new again.

Are the arena and gauntlet at the pavilion staying long term? I like them but, I'm not too into the process required to be allowed back into it. If it's just temporary I won't worry about it.

They're semi-permanent. They will be going away on the 3rd, but will be back at some point in the future in the same way we'll see Halloween, Wintersday, SAB, Dragon Bash, etc. return next year. Everything above ground should remain, of course.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Arken said:
You guys are taking this pve thing too seriously. Enjoy some of the finest pvpers in all their glory. Muahaha
He means this!
Ok, so overflow sucks. I just spent 40 minutes in an overflow doing the event, got disconnected, and upon log in was in a different overflow that had no event. That's just stupid. You'd think if ANet can figure out how to let people play on their home server, they'd at least keep you tied to a zone long enough for you to log back in to it after a 30 second disconnect.
I hate the current situation with overflows even when it functions properly, outside of issues with disconnects and everything. Being able to stay with your party even if you can't all get to the main map should be simple and seamless. It will improve over time for sure, just frustrating right now.
Too bad hardcore guilds are starting to get bored.
I'm sure legitimately hardcore WvW guilds have been bored for quite some time now. Just appears that soon they can look forward to getting bored again from scratch :D
You can just run the instance with someone that has it unlocked to regain access (rather than following the whole quest). It's quite quick.

Lunar15

Edit: Apparently ArenaNet mailed out a free WvW Booster to everyone this morning... or maybe I'm just special.

So Hythloday had a good idea, I think we'll spend the weekend in the lowbie zones helping Free Trial members learn the ropes. Having a nice, warm community to greet you when you first start playing an MMO is really nice and seeing everything through their eyes can make the game feel new again.

Hey, I just made an alt so this is perfect.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone interested in helping me out with this tonight?

:)
Sure! I still haven't earned the "don't get downed" achivement :x

I was thinking we'd do our Southsun Cove event on Sunday, but I think you guys are right. Outside of our regularly scheduled missions, in terms of guild events this weekend let's focus on helping Free trial newbies get into the game and showing them some cool stuff. No need to form an organized guild mob, but if you're interested maybe ask in guild chat about forming a party and then pick a starter zone to go run around. Showing them SB and the jumping puzzle in Metrica are always fun things.

We can visit the Karka Queen on Monday night if that works for people.

hythloday

I may even give out some free bags again. Newbies love bags.

But I won't make the mistake of buying 100 bags off the tp. I did that before. It was silly.

nataku

Annoyed 7 am rant; - I like ANet. I've been a fan since 2005. But GW2 is starting to feel like one big dps check in pve. What's the point of defensive stats if most special attacks ignore it, or bosses have instant-death attacks, or in the case of the gauntlet the timer is so fast that you need to kill stuff immediately. Meh. Anyway. Going to take a while to build up the laurels and commendations again after gearing out two characters. So hold off on the ascended gear update, plox, ANet.

It is one big DPS check in PvE. I'm not sure they'll ever change that in fear of putting off casuals, either. I don't think they've ever really commented on the fact that control and support suck in their PvE game and no one uses them. Killing stuff faster is the better choice in PvE, every time.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Get rid of the trinity, give bosses nutty resistance to crowd control, allows players to dodge and negate all damage...welcome your DPS overlord.

Get rid of the trinity, give bosses nutty resistance to crowd control, allows players to dodge and negate all damage...welcome your DPS overlord.

What's the point with me bringing along a character to an event that's all about controlling the battlefield when it doesn't work? What's the point of bringing buffs/support if it's not rewarded loot-wise? I do think this is an issue. It's notable how much better off I am bringing my Zerker equipped thief to events than my other characters. If the reward is based on damage done, damage dealers are king.

Moondrop

Banned
Crowd control skills are effective in pvp at least.

Nevetheless I will continue to bring my wvw build (cc skills/cleric gear) to all pve events.

It's disappointing that both Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online are going to be subscription-based. I was hoping GW2's success would make other MMO devs rethink their strategies but guess that WoW money is just too good to ignore.

Levyne

Banned
I really don't know how to play anything but berserker. I tell myself I would experiment more (conditions, bunker, etv) if I could swap back to status quo at a press of a button (for when I'm called aside to do a dungeon or a world event or something) but it's also just a comfort thing, going with the familiar. Plus it's still plenty effective in most cases for me with tiny tweaks to major slots or utilities (for wvw for instance) that the driving force to want to switch it up is incredibly small. The less time in menus the better.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What's the point with me bringing along a character to an event that's all about controlling the battlefield when it doesn't work? What's the point of bringing buffs/support if it's not rewarded loot-wise? I do think this is an issue. It's notable how much better off I am bringing my Zerker equipped thief to events than my other characters. If the reward is based on damage done, damage dealers are king.

I realized I needed to focus on DPS second day playing the game. Huge WvW battle, back when people didn't know what they were doing and fought head on like a Civil War-era battle. Sloppy, uneffective, but fun.

Using my Guardian I helped defend a keep by deflecting assaults with barriers, pulling people up and healing/buffing. Then the event for defending the keep ended and I didn't get credit. Because I didn't do enough damage.

Levyne

Banned
My first exotic set was Nika's (berserker). I tried out ele and guard in soldiers and knights for awhile when I started them but now both sit in zerker. I still run the guard in knights sometimes if I feel like I want to be god for a day.

Obligatory: spvp more. Specifically, try a shaman amulet with your ranger.

Actually, I tend to do fine in pvp with berserker most of the time. For what I want out of it anyway. Though that's not to say I shouldn't try something else.

Moondrop

Banned
Fair enough, but the point is spvp is the place to learn new playstyles for free. Shaman/spirit rangers have become effective bunkers.

I've become a much stronger offensive player with my recent spvp experience and build honing. It will be interesting to see if I can still tolerate my cleric gear when I return to wvw.

I realized I needed to focus on DPS second day playing the game. Huge WvW battle, back when people didn't know what they were doing and fought head on like a Civil War-era battle. Sloppy, uneffective, but fun.

Using my Guardian I helped defend a keep by deflecting assaults with barriers, pulling people up and healing/buffing. Then the event for defending the keep ended and I didn't get credit. Because I didn't do enough damage.

Basically that's why I have some characters geared that way so that I can get money when I need it. But I have support + control characters to play for fun. One nice thing about this game is that it's pretty easy to hit the gear cap, so playing for fun doesn't really hurt progression in any meaningful way.

Retro

As the on-going epic struggle between people doing the Invasion Events and the people who want to just farm, the latest maneuver seems to be the farmers feigning expertise by being time nazis in map chat. After about 5-10 minutes they will begin shouting "Oh darn, we are 30 seconds off schedule, we have zero chance of doing this guys. Just make the most of it and farm!"

Of course, this leads to a lot of people believing it, and so it actually starts to happen; people start farming and the ones trying to fight back the Invasion see their numbers drop and things really do fall apart.

Anyways, don't forget to watch the Livestream at Noon PDT (3pm EDT), supposed to be some good, WvW-related news: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

It's disappointing that both Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online are going to be subscription-based. I was hoping GW2's success would make other MMO devs rethink their strategies but guess that WoW money is just too good to ignore.

Don't let those announcements fool you. The subscription is merely a way to milk their most loyal fans by getting them to pay for the box and a subscription for as long as possible before their profits drop and they have to switch to F2P. TESO already has a cash shop planned, so they're 100% ready to flip the switch when the time comes. Wildstar seems less prepared.

I really don't know how to play anything but berserker.

I miss my healing, condition removing shouts when I'm not on my warrior. My damage is good enough I don't mind sacrificing some from my traits to help people around me.

Levyne

Banned
I have a Apoth. ascended amulet sitting in back I accidentally bought. Since I don't need zerker ascended for any of my other 80s anymore maybe i'll grab settler's or shaman's (or apoth?) gear for my Ranger and try some of those shenanigans in wvw. yeah, I know pvp would be a free way to do it but I enjoy wvw significantly more.

I have a Apoth. ascended amulet sitting in back I accidentally bought. Since I don't need zerker ascended for any of my other 80s anymore maybe i'll grab settler's or shaman's (or apoth?) gear for my Ranger and try some of those shenanigans in wvw. yeah, I know pvp would be a free way to do it but I enjoy wvw significantly more.

Bunker ranger is pretty fun, if that helps your decision. Mine is in Settlers because I geared her up when the Karka thing was happening.

Edit - this is what I went with: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/Faux-s-RRR-Build-Conditions-Variation

Levyne

Banned
Thanks. Hopefully we get that Karka event going Monday or w/e. I'm now itching to try this.

Edit: Going to need a third 18 slot safe box for gear now, lol.

As the on-going epic struggle between people doing the Invasion Events and the people who want to just farm, the latest maneuver seems to be the farmers feigning expertise by being time nazis in map chat. After about 5-10 minutes they will begin shouting "Oh darn, we are 30 seconds off schedule, we have zero chance of doing this guys. Just make the most of it and farm!"

Of course, this leads to a lot of people believing it, and so it actually starts to happen; people start farming and the ones trying to fight back the Invasion see their numbers drop and things really do

Something along these lines happened in an overflow I was in last night. People just saying farm it, people getting mad at the farmers, and portals taking forever to close. 100 people following the 4 commander tags who never split up. We beat Scarlet with less than minute to go.

I haven't had much chance to do the new stuff this week, so I am going to try to run with GAF tonight on the invasions.

On a side note, does anyone know if turning off player tags helps the framerate much?

Levyne

Banned
Not really. It just makes everything cleaner to look at.

Some upgrades and tweaking (and the general performance boosts that people have experienced?) helps my framerates stay stable now except the beatdown on Scarlet at the end is still highly taxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom