• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complistic

I am. Aomber sounds familiar as well. I haven't been there in a few years. The trolls trolling trolls got boring after a while.

Aomber

I am. Aomber sounds familiar as well. I haven't been there in a few years. The trolls trolling trolls got boring after a while.

I was the leader of their guild back when the game came out haha :p yeah I quit a couple months ago, I got tired of it too really, community is way too negative too lol

I ended up getting removed from the Guild due to inactivity (had some stuff come up), is there any chance I could be reninvited?
Sorry if inactivity is like, the worst thing ever. D;

xeris

I ended up getting removed from the Guild due to inactivity (had some stuff come up), is there any chance I could be reninvited?

From time to time people get removed for inactivity as we bump up against the max number of members. If someone is removed for that reason all they need to do is post their user name here and/or contact an officer in game. I am not one, nor do I play one on TV.

Proven

Inactivity is the second worst thing ever, but only the actual worst thing ever actually gets punished, so you're fine. You can also check the first post for a list of officers to message in game and (not) beg for forgiveness.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i don't know what you're talking about, inactive people are banned forever and reported to anet

your account name is also fine m'friend

Luigi87

Well damn, thought I took a really nice pic while doing the puzzle tonight, check my folder, and it didn't take apparently.
>_<

I think GW2 had all the servers "Full" at one time for two hours before upping the capacity. Even when the servers are all "Full" you can still play the game, just not transfer.

Jira

The big crippling issue for FFXIV is that the game revolves so much around progressing an instanced story that due to the current issues you pretty much can't do any content/features in the game outside of standard questing. Imagine for a moment that GW2 launched and Dynamic Events, WvW, sPvP, and Dungeons were all tied to the Personal Story that you had to progress through in order to do them but the Personal Story instancing was broken. That's essentially what is happening for XIV right now. There's also been extensive downtime, so much that I think they've already hit half of what GW2's total downtime has been for a year in a single day.

Initially, there was about an hour of latency issues for GW2 but then it was rock solid with zero server crashes at all or any lag. There were roughly a few bits of downtime spanning 20-40 min a couple times over the first week around midnight for server upgrade but past that I think they've seen a total of 20 hours of downtime in a year. Granted the initial Guild issues sucked but those were sorted out fast enough, some events in the higher level areas could bug out, and the biggest issue of them all was the Trading Post. It's another thing entirely for nearly the entire game to not simply not work because of a showstopping bug.

Proven

Parties being split into overflows and what not was a launch issue, too.

Sadly it's still an issue now. But it was better back then because you could always join into someone's smaller overflow, or just all leave the area and try again. You can't always do that with invasions...

Jira

Sadly it's still an issue now. But it was better back then because you could always join into someone's smaller overflow, or just all leave the area and try again. You can't always do that with invasions...

Well invasions will simmer down come the 3rd and be less frequent so it's not a long term issue.

Trey

What's currently the most active server? Also is GAF guild active?

They're all fairly active, but the "most active" servers are probably Tarnished Coast, Jade Quarry and Blackgate.

GAFguild is on Stormbluff Isle and is 350 members deep. There's usually ten or so people on at any given time, and 50+ daily at primetime.

Sophia

GAF Guild is active on Stormbluff Isle, very very active.

The most active servers are Tarnished Coast, Jade Quarry, and... something else. I forget.

They're all fairly active, but the "most active" servers are probably Tarnished Coast, Jade Quarry and Blackgate.

GAFguild is on Stormbluff Isle and is 350 members deep. There's usually ten or so people on at any given time, and 50+ daily at primetime.

Can attest to this. Tarnished Coast is the server that never sleeps. Even at like 3 AM you'll find people in mid level zones, and that's before invasions.

Retro

What's currently the most active server?

Keep in mind that you can Guest on any server within your region, so if you decide to roll on Stormbluff Isle, you can still guest to Tarnished Coast and vice versa. The only thing you're unable to do via Guesting is World vs. World, since that's server vs. server and being able to switch would defeat the purpose.

The only detriment I can think of to playing on a "Full"-rated server is that your friends may or may not be able to roll on that server later if it remains full. They increase the server caps pretty frequently, so I don't think that happens very often, however.

So I was playing this yesterday and having a good time but I guess I'm kind of confused about what to do. Should I keep following my story or something else?

Also, do I have to discover a certain part of the world before I can warp there? I wanted to play with my friend but we are REALLY far away from one another.

My guild is on a negativity parade. I hate logging in, having people complain about the game not being perfect.

I get that people want things to be as good as they should be inside their own heads, but shit is as good as it is? Can't we just be happy with what we got?

Shit like that spreads! I love this game every day! Nothing in this life will ever be perfect but this game is so much FUUUN:D

SirKhalid

So I was playing this yesterday and having a good time but I guess I'm kind of confused about what to do. Should I keep following my story or something else?

Also, do I have to discover a certain part of the world before I can warp there? I wanted to play with my friend but we are REALLY far away from one another.
You guys could meet up in Lion's Arch.

Sophia

Do what you like. There are no set goals, just ones you pick for yourself. Some people follow the personal story, others like to explore, most try to rush to 80 for no reason, and then others like to craft or find hidden world events. Then there's PvP, World vs World, and dungeons too.

And to warp to a waypoint you have to discover it first, yes. Your friend should come to you. They get scaled down to your level but still get XP and rewards relative to their level.

Can't we just be happy with what we got?

As long as Polearms are not in the game we can never be happy ever. :|

Retro

Your second question is easier to answer. You can't warp to a waypoint if you haven't visited it yet, but there's an alternative method of travel; Asura Gates. These are shown on your map as small, purple swirly icons and are found in all 5 major cities and Lion's Arch.

If you want to play with your friend, travel to Lion's Arch quickly by clicking the PVP icon (crossed swords) at the top of the screen and select "Travel to the Mists". There will be a brief tutorial that you can do pretty quickly, or just skip if you'd like (you can do it later). That will deliver you straight to LA, the unofficial center of the GW2 world.

Near the center of the city, near the Grand Plaza, there's a small rocky island with 5 Asura Gates on it; each will take you to a racial capitol. The NPCs standing out front are a good indicator of which portal leads where (you can also mouse over the icons). So, if your friend started a Charr, head to the Black Portal. If they started an Asura, Rata Sum, and so on.

I'm sure others will answer your first question in more detail, or I'll get it a little later.

Complistic

Had a good time showing Aomber back around the world of guild wars. Hit the maw, did a cof run and an invasion. I get the feeling the game doesn't do a good enough job of explaining all the ways you can play it lol.

Lunar15

Man, I'm so dumb: spent two days getting my alt up to 20, then got a "level to 20" scroll in the birthday letter last night.

Wah wah.

Retro

Okay, I have a bit more time to answer this now. Sophia really covered most of it, but just to elaborate, I'll throw out The List;

Achievements (Especially daily and monthly achievements)
Crafting (Maxing out one crafting profession to 400 will always equal 10 levels)
Dungeons
Dynamic Events
Exploration
(The following all count towards Map Completion, but all grant XP individually)
  • Renown Hearts
  • Points of Interest
  • Skill Challenges
  • Vistas
Gathering Ore, Herbs and Wood
(Seriously, gather everything)
Jumping Puzzles
Personal Story
Reviving Players, NPCs and Pets
World Events
WvW

Oh yeah, and just straight up killing enemies (with a bonus based on how long the creature has been alive). All of those things will level you up, none at a substantially lower pace than the others and most can be done simultaneously (gathering while exploring, for example). Likewise, because the game down-levels you to match the content, you can go to any zone you like, even the low starting ones; you'll still earn experience and loot comparable to what you'd get at a level-appropriate zone. If you're tired of one region, there are others to explore; if you're bored with the dense jungles of Maguuma, there's the rolling hills of Kryta, the perpetually-autumn ruins of Ascalon and the snowy mountain passes of the Shiverpeaks.

There's no magical end game at 80, so there's also no rush; higher levels in this game only opens doors to content, not entirely new forms. You can do everything on that list at low levels; higher levels just means you get more of it. Take your time, smell the roses. Don't feel like each map is a list of objectives, every renown heart a dot you have to connect. Wander off the beaten path, see what's over in that little corner of the world. Unlike most MMOs, there's usually something there.

The reason GW2 gets a lot of shit for 'not having an endgame' is that it wants you to have fun in the moment and enjoy the game you're playing now, not when your XP bar is full and you've 'unlocked' it. If you're just rushing past everything to get to the 'real game' as most MMOs would have yo do, you're basically ignoring the real game and all that waits at the end is, not surprisingly, disappointment.

The best way I've seen it put is from the Kill Ten Rats blog; play GW2 like you're Cain from "Kung-Fu": wander the world, kick some ass, solve problems for people. You'll be shocked at how fast you level.

My guild is on a negativity parade. I hate logging in, having people complain about the game not being perfect.

This is actually why I pushed for a "no excessive negativity" policy for GAFGuild. We want people to discuss the game (and they do, quite heatedly too I'd add), but people shouldn't have to log in and face a constant wall of bitching. It just brings the whole experience down and this is supposed to be a game people play for fun and relaxation.

I'm not sure how many people know about that policy, honestly, but it hasn't been a problem and to my knowledge we've only had to enforce it once, right after launch (and it was about a PUG group more than the game). GAFers behave so damn well I almost feel like all the officers do is run missions and send invites. So much more laid back than any other game I've played.

Had a good time showing Aomber back around the world of guild wars. Hit the maw, did a cof run and an invasion. I get the feeling the game doesn't do a good enough job of explaining all the ways you can play it lol.

They're working on a new tutorial, according to Colin's big blog post. It's for the Chinese release, but we'll be getting it too... so hopefully that's something they fix.

Sophia

Best feature in this game is collecting dyes. This is truthfact:

gw205nusky.jpg

Retro

That's insane. I have nowhere near to that many lmaooo

It's just one of those things you'll build over time. A lot of dyes are under a silver, if you want to splurge. I got to the point where I was getting so many duplicates on my warrior it was cheaper to just sell the Unidentified Dye and use the proceeds to fill in the gaps.

Fake edit: Turns out I have 202, which is about half of the dyes in the game. I thought it'd be higher. Of course, I've purposely not gotten some dyes like Pinks and Purples; those all go to my Mesmer. I bet I could scoop a bunch of those up on the cheap.

Mxrz

Yeah, we had a problem with negativitiy briefly. Some people are just wired to think that if they do not like something, or more commonly if they cannot do something then it means the game is broke or bad. Demon's and Dark Souls saw this a lot before they became all super popular, but I think it really reflects gaming as a whole.

Got Meatless Murder on my first attempt last night. Yeeeeeeeaahhh. Fuck that dog and his Norn. Liadri almost feels more manageable in comparison.

Abandond

So can anyone explain what this champion farm in frostgorge is about? I keep hearing about it and I have no idea what it's about.

Retro

So can anyone explain what this champion farm in frostgorge is about? I keep hearing about it and I have no idea what it's about.

There's a part of Frostgorge where a ton of Champions spawn relatively quickly and relatively close to one another. People figured out pretty quickly that you can just hang out there and farm them really easily without much running around or effort. So a lot of people do it.

It's boring, tedious loot farming, people creating a grind in a game that has none / very few. The only problem I've seen is somebody on Reddit saying the Farming Zerg bitched at them because they killed the Champion Ice Worm so they could do their Quaggan Rush. Otherwise, it's just a lot of dull people doing the same thing over and over again.

Abandond

There's a part of Frostgorge where a ton of Champions spawn relatively quickly and relatively close to one another. People figured out pretty quickly that you can just hang out there and farm them really easily without much running around or effort. So a lot of people do it.

It's boring, tedious loot farming, people creating a grind in a game that has none / very few. The only problem I've seen is somebody on Reddit saying the Farming Zerg bitched at them because they killed the Champion Ice Worm so they could do their Quaggan Rush. Otherwise, it's just a lot of dull people doing the same thing over and over again.

Oh, I asked because I really like farming loot and grinding, I already have over 400 of those gear boxes, heh. I might actually check this spot out, seems like something I'd enjoy..

Also, if I'm getting this right, the scarlet invasions will be a permanent thing? So the invasions won't stop on the 3rd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom