• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

KmISguF.png

The last day has seen more *fixed a server crash* than I think the game has had since launch. I'm not sure what the heck they did, but this is very out of the ordinary for GW2. It has been (and in many respects still is) the most stable, reliable, MMO out there, with the least downtime and almost zero rollbacks, ever.

It sucks that you had to start playing right now as all this happens, but trust me, this is not the norm for the game.

Yeah I've been playing for about a month now off and on, and these issues are clearly new in the last few days. The rollback aspect really is the bizarre part to me, I've dealt with crashing before, I played WoW during some of the worst times in Vanilla in terms of lag and crashing, but to have a crash wipe out stuff that already happened just goes against everything MMOs stand for and should definitely be a rare occurrence. I enjoy the game and obviously with no monthly fee it's easy to come and go (and I've certainly already gotten my $10 worth out of it), but I hope this major new content patch that is coming is worth all the heartache. Granted, it's been a few years since I've played any MMO, so it may just be my tolerance for these sorts of things isn't what it once was.

When we get guild summons like the marionette, doing events will be trivial. That said, we could do the Orr sphere puzzle, it seems like a fun group activity.

I would get annoyed if too many people were in there trying to do it all at once. It takes away the accopmlishment of finding them all by yourself, and jumping through 20 people onto a small platform is a nightmare (see: guild puzzles)

Double account confirmed.

We have to take turns with the internet up here, there's not enough to go around between us and all the polar bears

I played WoW during some of the worst times in Vanilla in terms of lag and crashing, but to have a crash wipe out stuff that already happened just goes against everything MMOs stand for and should definitely be a rare occurrence.

Be glad you didn't play Ultima Online during its heyday. Two-week rollbacks were not uncommon (where entire servers worth of players would lose *two weeks* of progress). Day-long rollbacks would happen quite often.

When I played WoW, two-hour or four-hour rollbacks were rare, but did happen at least once or twice every few months, moreso right after an xpac launch.

Spyware

Honestly it's the type of thing that if this game had a monthly fee, I'd be screaming to high hell about as being totally unacceptable. With the b2p model though, I feel like I basically just have to suck it up and deal with it, which sucks. I don't know what they've fucked up with these recent patches, but I hope they unfuck it asap because it's really making me not want to play any more.
Of course it's still unacceptable that it happens and I think ANet is doing everything they can to quickly fix it. I don't really know what else we could do than live with it tho? It's obvious that this patch did more than the notes say. Something big is happening behind the scenes. I've only seen a handful update weeks with this many problems and hotfixes.
I have also played for over 3000 hours since headstart and never experienced a rollback. It's (and I can't stress this enough) extremely uncommon. My advice would be to let them stabilize the game before you continue playing if you have this much problem. It must be very frustrating.

Retro

The WvW thing is probably related to the Beta Test they're going to be doing; they obviously can't pit players against each other by server in the test so whatever they're doing to get around it obviously screwed up.

Who knows about the PVE side of stuff though.

The WvW thing is probably related to the Beta Test they're going to be doing; they obviously can't pit players against each other by server in the test so whatever they're doing to get around it obviously screwed up.

Who knows about the PVE side of stuff though.

That is not true because when they announced the WvW beta/stress test they said it would not be like the pve stress test and pvp beta, and that it would require a seperate client.

Finally, stress tests like our WvW Borderlands stress tests are limited in nature and will run on an entirely separate client. More information on how you can get an invite to participate will be released at a later time.
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-wvw-desert-borderlands-stress-tests/

Thorgal

about the rollbacks:

I am pretty sure that if said roll back causes you to lose something valuable ( let's day you are really unlucky and had a precursor drop)

Support will very likely return it to your account if you told them.

Proven

That is not true because when they announced the WvW beta/stress test they said it would not be like the pve stress test and pvp beta, and that it would require a seperate client.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-wvw-desert-borderlands-stress-tests/

Good point. But I'm going to continue with my theory and say that it's related to any public beta tests they do in the future.

Well, even if I'm wrong about it being related to some beta test announcement this week, it still is likely data related to the "feature pack" before Heart of Thorns.

Proven

For those interested: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/upgrading-world-vs-world-upgrades/

And live stream information: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/...automatic-upgrades-and-dragonhunter-pvp-demo/

New system for WvW upgrades that I really like. The next logical conclusion is to have a defense event every X minutes after the location has reached max upgrades and every time that looping defense event completes you get a point bonus added to your score. Sadly, that wouldn't help against 24 hr coverage by itself (servers that are behind would need bigger bonuses for each defense completion to catch up), so it didn't make it.

I was exploring Fireheart Rise when I met a kindly merchant selling something called a Triple-Luck Tonic. I of course bought and consumed one immediately.

It didn't perform as advertised, so I brought my concerns to the shopkeep. She didn't take it well, which led to a rather unique fight with attacks I didn't remember seeing anywhere else.

When I came back later, she was disguised as a quaggan. I decided to investigate the cart beside her (and found it to be stolen), so rather than broach the faulty tonic argument again, I called her out on the cart that time, leading to the same fight as before.

It turns out there is quite a bit more going on here than I expected. She was a member of the Modus Sceleris guild.

I've never seen any of these events or NPCs before, so I am super excited to delve into it. I'll need help starting the last one - "This event triggers only if there are enough players present at the successful completion of the previous event, Win three rounds of Modus Sceleris's tournament" - so hopefully some guildies will be up for exploring all of these quests soon.

I was exploring Fireheart Rise when I met a kindly merchant selling something called a Triple-Luck Tonic. I of course bought and consumed one immediately.

It didn't perform as advertised, so I brought my concerns to the shopkeep. She didn't take it well, which led to a rather unique fight with attacks I didn't remember seeing anywhere else.

When I came back later, she was disguised as a quaggan. I decided to investigate the cart beside her (and found it to be stolen), so rather than broach the faulty tonic argument again, I called her out on the cart that time, leading to the same fight as before.

It turns out there is quite a bit more going on here than I expected. She was a member of the Modus Sceleris guild.

I've never seen any of these events or NPCs before, so I am super excited to delve into it. I'll need help starting the last one - "This event triggers only if there are enough players present at the successful completion of the previous event, Win three rounds of Modus Sceleris's tournament" - so hopefully some guildies will be up for exploring all of these quests soon.

I saw the same thing a while back, I took the tonic and was confused when nothing happened and forgot about it. I wanna see the rest of the event chain

Thorgal

You have my Axe .

hAFRRcs.png

Emitan

Ooh! Ooh! Me! Pick me!

Taffer

She hangs around the by the bridge next to the Durmand Priory as well, at the opposite end of it from the raging norn event, just off the guild rush course. Some of Modus Scleris hang around in the east(?) of Lornar's Pass as well.

Just guessing, but I doubt we will have a release date, but could see a price, beta information, deluxe/collectors editions, maybe a game+expansion bundle for new people. Things like that. But who knows.
Even if it is only 1 of the thugs you listed. I'd be happy.

Gives me more time to play the Witcher 3.

tiijj

One of the data mined message from last patch enables you to pre-purchase the expansion and it even gives you a title. I realize that data mining is hit or miss thing but at least it's an indicator or hint that we might see a price and release date during E3 (hoping).

One of the data mined message from last patch enables you to pre-purchase the expansion and it even gives you a title. I realize that data mining is hit or miss thing but at least it's an indicator or hint that we might see a price and release date during E3 (hoping).

Data-mining has been 95% hit actually but seeing him something in a data mine means nothing about when it might actually come out.

Anyone remember if pre-purchase for GW2 was available before the release date?

hythloday

Data-mining has been 95% hit actually but seeing him something in a data mine means nothing about when it might actually come out.

Yes, it was. It was some time before they announced the release date.

Moondrop

Banned
Those are two huges changes for WvW that should have considerable positive effects.

- Simplified upgrades will make defending easier and should thus make it more worthwhile, as well as reduce intra-server squabbling.

- Removing the Applied Strength and Fortitude buffs should mean squishy classes will be squishy again. Hopefully in time this will improve the pirate ship meta- if you can break through the enemy frontline, the backline should crumble.

Proven

Those are two huges changes for WvW that should have considerable positive effects.

- Simplified upgrades will make defending easier and should thus make it more worthwhile, as well as reduce intra-server squabbling.

- Removing the Applied Strength and Fortitude buffs should mean squishy classes will be squishy again. Hopefully in time this will improve the pirate ship meta- if you can break through the enemy frontline, the backline should crumble.
The more I think about the upgrade changes, and therefore the Yak changes, the more I get annoyed by the fact that we don't even have a release date for all these features. I don't even need the expansion if theres still all this other stuff to get before it arrives.

Ashodin

Yes it was available and people were MAD. I AINT PAYIN FOR SHIT IF I DONT HAVE RELEAZ DAT

On the Modus Sceleris stuff: It was put into the game at a time when ArenaNet thought "hey maybe we should put in more secret hidden events and objectives to promote exploring the game". Sounds awesome on paper, but their metrics came back with something like only 5% of the population actively seeks out hidden objects and events in the game.

Yes it was available and people were MAD. I AINT PAYIN FOR SHIT IF I DONT HAVE RELEAZ DAT

On the Modus Sceleris stuff: It was put into the game at a time when ArenaNet thought "hey maybe we should put in more secret hidden events and objectives to promote exploring the game". Sounds awesome on paper, but their metrics came back with something like only 5% of the population actively seeks out hidden objects and events in the game.
When they added those things game was still pretty new and a lot of people were still just rushing to 80.

I think these types oh events will be much more appreciated if they add them now. More players would go out to seek them. Also they need to just say on updates added new events/secrets in these maps and people would be out there looking to discover all of them.

I think Anets weakness is that they give up on ideas too quickly. Thier iteration process seem to leave a lot of things behind.

Ashodin

When they added those things game was still pretty new and a lot of people were still just rushing to 80.

I think these types oh events will be much more appreciated if they add them now. More players would go out to seek them. Also they need to just say on updates added new events/secrets in these maps and people would be out there looking to discover all of them.

I think Anets weakness is that they give up on ideas too quickly. Thier iteration process seem to leave a lot of things behind.

They did that with the Modus Sceleris stuff. I remember talking to Colin and he said that that type of content just wasn't "played" enough, meaning, that players didn't actively seek it, and it was passive in terms in getting players excited over it.

Zeroth

I'm curious as to why they add stuff like Fractals only to not explore them. I say fractals because its the kind of content that has so much potential, yet only received one major update since its inception. I would like to think they were too focused on future content (which evolved into HoT development) to work on it, and I'm sure the fractal content of HoT will prove so, but it's still such a glaring issue.

Ashodin

I'm curious as to why they add stuff like Fractals only to not explore them. I say fractals because its the kind of content that has so much potential, yet only received one major update since its inception. I would like to think they were too focused on future content (which evolved into HoT development) to work on it, and I'm sure the fractal content of HoT will prove so, but it's still such a glaring issue.

Anet has a rrrrrrrrrrrreally bad habit of coming up with cool ideas and systems to implement into the game, and then not expanding on the idea because they move on to the "next interesting system".

Fractals are one of those, and updating it is not on their priority list because

• It's a mode of play that is only for the hardcore
  • Those hardcore enough to play it up into the high fractals are a very small subset of the population
  • The development time would be better served on content that everyone can play (Vinewrath, Marionette, etc)
  • It's not very interesting in design space, as you only create something that may not even get seen as the number of fractals increase

Levyne

Banned
I feel like Guild Missions and Wallet are other examples of "we could build on this periodically, but either won't or only very little."

Quenk

I feel like Fractals are in an odd spot because ANet isn't expanding on them but they are encouraging people to play them with the occasional daily.

Ashodin

I feel like Guild Missions and Wallet are other examples of "we could build on this periodically, but either won't or only very little."

I fully expect all the guild content to get touched upon with Guild Halls. It would seem wrong not to. Also check how all the guild NPCs are in front of it in LA - seems like an awesome opportunity to refresh things.

My big pet peeve is they have this stringent deal now where the updates have to tie into the content, so updates pretty much can only come when the story serves the purpose.

It's why Twilight Arbor got Aetherpath instead of back when Robert was on the team and just updating the dungeons because he could.

I feel like Fractals are in an odd spot because ANet isn't expanding on them but they are encouraging people to play them with the occasional daily.

I'm sure the goal is to try to get less hardcore people into it and see "oh hey, this is kind of easy". At first.

Levyne

Banned
A lot of people didn't like Roberts dungeon ideas but he was a cool guy and it was awesome to do AC with him after it was revamped. I feel like he was one of the only devs that played primary Ranger too.

Ashodin

A lot of people didn't like Roberts dungeon ideas but he was a cool guy and it was awesome to do AC with him after it was revamped. I feel like he was one of the only devs that played primary Ranger too.

Truefax, he was the guy who really pushed for the initial Ranger changes, which included faster F2 functionality, and increased Longbow projectile speed.

Zeroth

Anet has a rrrrrrrrrrrreally bad habit of coming up with cool ideas and systems to implement into the game, and then not expanding on the idea because they move on to the "next interesting system".

Fractals are one of those, and updating it is not on their priority list because

• It's a mode of play that is only for the hardcore
  • Those hardcore enough to play it up into the high fractals are a very small subset of the population
  • The development time would be better served on content that everyone can play (Vinewrath, Marionette, etc)

All these arguments fall into the same category, which is that "hardcore" are a small subset of players and thus it's not worth investing content in this userbase. The problem with this idea is that no one is asking for constant fractal updates that could cripple the amount of work toward other updates severely, the issue is the lack of ANY updates. Rather than arguing that fractals are a content directed at a small number of players, you should wonder why they can't be more inclusive so they can be enjoyed by more players.

The idea that a "hardcore content" is not worth developing is extremely toxic to a game that offers a bit to everyone like GW2, and this doesn't apply solely to fractal content. You could argue that fractals do not contribute towards ArenaNet's income like buyable LS updates are, but I would like to point out it is a tool of player retention, and that these tools are extremely important to a game as much as the weekly gem store sales.

• It's not very interesting in design space, as you only create something that may not even get seen as the number of fractals increase

That's your personal opinion though. It depends too much on you having an infinite number of fractals, which is not what people ask or wish for when it comes to fractal content nowadays.

Ashodin

All these arguments fall into the same category, which is that "hardcore" are a small subset of players and thus it's not worth investing content in this userbase. The problem with this idea is that no one is asking for constant fractal updates that could cripple the amount of work toward other updates severely, the issue is the lack of ANY updates. Rather than arguing that fractals are a content directed at a small number of players, you should wonder why they can't be more inclusive so they can be enjoyed by more players.

The idea that a "hardcore content" is not worth developing is extremely toxic to a game that offers a bit to everyone like GW2, and this doesn't apply solely to fractal content. You could argue that fractals do not contribute towards ArenaNet's income like buyable LS updates are, but I would like to point out it is a tool of player retention, and that these tools are extremely important to a game as much as the weekly gem store sales.

That's your personal opinion though. It depends too much on you having an infinite number of fractals, which is not what people ask or wish for when it comes to fractal content nowadays.

But you see what I'm getting at. It's all about the numbers (cue Moondrop). You are a part of an extremely small segment of players wanting more from a mode of gameplay that was built specifically as a sort of "end-game" progression. They realized that this type of progression was extremely limiting; the playerbase is much more interested in doing things a-la carte, instead of investing time into Fractals (which can take hours). This is why they built Masteries - they're "endgame" in terms of servicing the greater community at large, and allows players to specialize their character (at first, I am assuming all masteries will be obtainable at some point) doing it bit by bit, allowing them to take their time. Fractals are under masteries, yes, but they're only adding "buffs" that will make it easier for players to get into Fractals at large, and I highly doubt they'll be adding any new fractals or ANYTHING new to the mode beyond perhaps new skins in Heart of Thorns.

I don't think they'll be building Fractals as the "hardcore element", but rather an accessible, reachable hard content like the Wyvern in every zone of the Maguuma Jungle, so that way players who want challenge can attempt it. Think a Vinewrath for every zone, basically. The only change between zones will be skins and/or reward currencies, like Dry Top's Geodes to Silverwastes' Bandit Keys. This makes the content easier to play and be played by the majority of the playerbase, while retaining hard difficulty that can be mastered by a group of say, five people working together in the open world.

I would also like to point out that my opinion on Fractals being infinite is valid; unless they offer a way to somehow "prefer" various types of Fractals (which would just let people evaluate the options and come up with the optimal path), they will be continued to be added into a ever-larger rotation, and the time consumed to make content that possibly would not ever get seen or seen very rarely is NOT something game development (or their management) want to have happen.

Zeroth

But you see what I'm getting at. It's all about the numbers (cue Moondrop). You are a part of an extremely small segment of players wanting more from a mode of gameplay that was built specifically as a sort of "end-game" progression. They realized that this type of progression was extremely limiting; the playerbase is much more interested in doing things a-la carte, instead of investing time into Fractals (which can take hours). This is why they built Masteries - they're "endgame" in terms of servicing the greater community at large, and allows players to specialize their character (at first, I am assuming all masteries will be obtainable at some point) doing it bit by bit, allowing them to take their time. Fractals are under masteries, yes, but they're only adding "buffs" that will make it easier for players to get into Fractals at large, and I highly doubt they'll be adding any new fractals or ANYTHING new to the mode beyond perhaps new skins in Heart of Thorns.

I think it's tricky to assume Masteries are the end of all hardcore content because they are more "open". If anything, they are a way to expand on existing content, not to replace it. I understand your point, masteries appease to both slices of the pie, casual players and more active players alike, but I do not think they are a way to phase out existing content (specially when masteries are locked behind a paywall). Matter of fact, the addition of fractal masteries tells me Fractal content will be expanded in itself, and I've said as much when it showed up.

I don't think they'll be building Fractals as the "hardcore element", but rather an accessible, reachable hard content like the Wyvern in every zone of the Maguuma Jungle, so that way players who want challenge can attempt it. Think a Vinewrath for every zone, basically. The only change between zones will be skins and/or reward currencies, like Dry Top's Geodes to Silverwastes' Bandit Keys. This makes the content easier to play and be played by the majority of the playerbase, while retaining hard difficulty that can be mastered by a group of say, five people working together in the open world.

I assume you mean Masteries here? That's fine, I know as much.

I would also like to point out that my opinion on Fractals being infinite is valid; unless they offer a way to somehow "prefer" various types of Fractals (which would just let people evaluate the options and come up with the optimal path), they will be continued to be added into a ever-larger rotation, and the time consumed to make content that possibly would not ever get seen or seen very rarely is NOT something game development (or their management) want to have happen.

I understand what you meant. My point was that, in order to get to such point, you would need to so many fractals that at this point we are no longer talking about fractals being updated, but fractals being bloated with content. Which, sincerely, is a far reality from now to even consider.

Ashodin

I think it's tricky to assume Masteries are the end of all hardcore content
Never intended to be interpreted that way - masteries are a clear baseline for their vision of what "endgame" means to GW2. They are constantly derided and barraged with comments of "but what is endgame tho" and "GW2 has no endgame". It's like Sony in the PS3 era - they kept getting slammed with "but PS3 has no games!" and it just stuck. Anet wants to avoid that repetitive hate.

I assume you mean Masteries here? That's fine, I know as much.

No I'm referring to the bulletpoint for Heart of Thorns called "difficult challenging content" that players are assuming are dungeons or something like raids. The content will come, but it will likely be so different from what is expected that some players will be turned off.

And yes, getting Fractals updated with new ones for now is fine.

My point is that even at this stage, with how many there are and how random it is, it might not be feasible for ANet to work on them when the fraction of fractals being seen gets smaller and smaller.

On the game itself, just updated for another client crash problem.

People are getting mad now that the game is crashing and bugs etc, but I see it as a plus - they are implementing things behind the scenes for Heart of Thorns, and fixing them as they go along. I expect the launch of the game to be absolutely crazy smooth.

Zeroth

Never intended to be interpreted that way - masteries are a clear baseline for their vision of what "endgame" means to GW2. They are constantly derided and barraged with comments of "but what is endgame tho" and "GW2 has no endgame". It's like Sony in the PS3 era - they kept getting slammed with "but PS3 has no games!" and it just stuck. Anet wants to avoid that repetitive hate.

Yes, I know.

No I'm referring to the bulletpoint for Heart of Thorns called "difficult challenging content" that players are assuming are dungeons or something like raids. The content will come, but it will likely be so different from what is expected that some players will be turned off.

And yes, getting Fractals updated with new ones for now is fine.

Ok, but I never stated otherwise.

My point is that even at this stage, with how many there are and how random it is, it might not be feasible for ANet to work on them when the fraction of fractals being seen gets smaller and smaller.

But now it's a different issue: You are arguing that they shouldn't do anything with X content because if it gets TOO much it will be a problem. And again, my original question was not "why not develop any content towards fractals?", not "why we can't have weekly fractal updates?"

I would like to point out too that arguing that "X people don't amount to much, no reason to invest on it" is not a good position to hold, specially when some people may consider X important. If we argue by numbers, we could open a LA chat simulator since most people like to do it because... well, there's not much compelling content out there. Which circles back to the issue of making "hardcore" content to hold and entertain players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom