• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Yes, I know.

Ok, but I never stated otherwise.

But now it's a different issue: You are arguing that they shouldn't do anything with X content because if it gets TOO much it will be a problem. And again, my original question was not "why not developed any content towards fractals?", not "why we can't have weekly updates?"

I would like to point out too that arguing that "X people don't amount to much, no reason to invest on it" is not a good position to hold, specially when some people may consider X important. If we argue by numbers, we could open a LA chat simulator since most people like to do it because... well, there's not much compelling content out there. Which circles back to the issue of making "hardcore" content to hold and entertain players.

I didn't say there's no reason to invest on them, rather that you would want to steer those players into your "new hotness" to enrich the community as a whole. GW2 fosters interpersonal relationships, even if slightly antisocial. The community is widely regarded as the best in the MMO biz, and having hardcore experienced players show up to open world hard content to help other less experienced, casual players beat it and get content too is probably preferred than building content for a specific section of the game known to cater to a specific type of player.

In the first case, you get both groups playing and learning together. In the second case, only one group gets to play.

Granted, not touching on ANY of the previous content in favor of the shiny new content is a bad idea imo. I would rather they add and sprinkle content everywhere in all modes.

Adventures are going to be one of my favorite repetitive content in the game. It's open world, it has leaderboards, and has unique skins tied to them.

GIVE ME MY GODDAMN SHOOTING GALLERY ANET

hythloday

My point is that even at this stage, with how many there are and how random it is, it might not be feasible for ANet to work on them when the fraction of fractals being seen gets smaller and smaller.

There are things they could do to work with it. Just off the top of my head, they could adjust the rotation so some fractals only appear in the rotation if you choose a certain difficulty range (like 1-20, 21-40, 41+, etc). For people working their way up, it throws some variety in the mix and it might keep people doing different difficulty levels (just like the dailies do).

Also, I was thinking about one of my favorite expansions from EverQuest, Lost Dungeons of Norrath. Fractals are better than LDoN was, but the concepts were similar.

LDoN added a dungeon/reward system very much like Fractals except that the dungeon was not random (you'd pick which hub to go to). At the time, it added a lot to the game because you could get your party together and jump in and have a slightly different experience each time, while working towards a reward goal. If they ever added enough Fractals to warrant it, they could break it into themes like Maguuma, Ascalon, Shiverpeaks, etc, and maybe still keeping a "Surprise me!" mode for a completely mixed bag. The fractals players get would be random (within the theme), but the difficulty/rewards could be the same. Some people would pick the assumed easiest/optimal path, but there have always been folks who do that and probably always will. If would maybe help the exposure for fractals so they don't get buried in the rotation.

Ashodin

As it is, LFG helps go a long way toward organizing Fractal runs. And GAF Guild <3

9kLjDrI.png

Finally got Balthazar's Backpiece. Goes great with the new Greatsword skin (and of course, the outfit). Oh shit, it's a light source too!

I've posted the GIF of it before, but I still love this fight every time I do it.

Prototype T-IV Golem

The first time I soloed it was actually on my Guardian, while doing a duo with Zeroth. He had to go take care of something, and while he was gone I practiced learning the patterns.

I tank and pewpew the other two golems the entire time to kill them, but I always take the extra steps on Mr. Rapid Fire to make sure he eats almost everything he throws at me.

Moondrop

Banned
Everyone's hyped to see some dragonhunter PvP, right? I hope bearbows around the world become filled with jealousy.

I previously said I was going to make a norn dragonhunter, but I recently created a norn with my placeholder character slot that looks so awesome he may be too good for guardian :p. Depending on what we see today, he might be my future revenant.

Proven

I'm more interested in seeing what details we can ring out about the WvW changes that haven't already been mentioned. Like if they're changing what any of the upgrades are and what exactly happens with camp upgrades.

Also, there's likely to be some type of announcement at the end of the show.

AlStrong

hm... so I've never done any of the dungeons (personal story), but it looks like the end of the story is a dungeon?

Oops.

I still kept the mail that shows me where those dungeons are at least. hm...

hythloday

hm... so I've never done any of the dungeons (personal story), but it looks like the end of the story is a dungeon?

Oops.

I still kept the mail that shows me where those dungeons are at least. hm...

Not to worry, you don't have to do any of them first in order to do the final dungeon.

hythloday

Last story is a dungeon yeah, but they're changing it "soon" to be soloable

That too!

So this morning I was playing my Ele (learning to use scepter/focus effectively since all the way to 80 I did dagger/dagger because that's the shit), I wandered down into Straits of Devastation and found a lone commander trying to get the Temple of Balthazar events going. Retro joined me and we only had a small group for the pre-events, but by the time we got to Rally Waypoint there was a boatload of people. I think besides missions that's the first real gameplay I've done in months. I liked it.

Also, happy 1000th day of GW2 to those who started at the first day of Head Start access!

Xanathus

I'm up for doing ARAH explorables if people are willing to carry someone who hasn't done it before, but I guess we need to set a time for it. What about after guild missions?

Quenk

I think Ike suggested a guild Arah thing a few weeks ago. Getting on mumble and going through it could be fun. And I still need to do Arah4 one day >.>;

AlStrong

Not to worry, you don't have to do any of them first in order to do the final dungeon.

:) Ah, good to know. hm... so are folks willing to go back and do the dungeons? How does that work? I only tried getting into one once (before joining the gaf guild), but I didn't really look into it after I realized it was for groups.

Last story is a dungeon yeah, but they're changing it "soon" to be soloable

Nice. Maybe I'll just spend the rest of the time to 100% the maps. Only 60% more to go. >_>

Or... start a new character?

Moondrop

Banned
They're announcing gigantic WvW waypoint changes in the stream. Basically it will be like EotM where you have just your spawn plus that of the keep nearest your spawn if you own that.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
:) Ah, good to know. hm... so are folks willing to go back and do the dungeons? How does that work? I only tried getting into one once (before joining the gaf guild), but I didn't really look into it after I realized it was for groups.

If someone in the guild asks for help doing story mode for a dungeon, and I'm not already in a dungeon, I'll usually join. I'm sure there are others with a similar mindset.

I think Adriaaa will do it with you

If I'm lucky.

Moondrop

Banned
Dragonhunter has some amazing animations. Deflecting Shot is a ground-targeted AoE. True Shot looks fun but will likely require mindgames to land on good players. I'm still hyped for dragonhunter but I might make mine a charr nevertheless.

Proven

Stream thoughts:

Big waypoint changes.

Camps take an hour to max upgrade and can't be sped up. All other buildings take two hours and can be sped up.

No word on when this will get on live, meaning it will likely be part of the big pre-expansion feature pack. Will be part of the Desert Borderlands beta test. I'm disappointed this isn't going live soon, but at least it'll get tested first.

Overall, like the changes from a strategic point of view. Can't tell how I'll feel about it when playing it.

Only comment I have on the duels is that people will complain about the lack of an official duel mode even more now.

yukinon

noooooo you /just/ got a mic ;0;

yea... tell me about it lol :\

i did manage to get it running again last night
but i'm still trying to gauge the stability of my computer w/ it running on the new os lol

buuuut, i should be able to make it to guild missions tomorrow

Mxrz

woo beta. glad I didn't farm.

Warrior longbow is just stupidly good. winning 1v1s without bothering to swap. Time to spring for a Kudzu, get all flowery.

Ashodin

Dragonhunter has some amazing animations. Deflecting Shot is a ground-targeted AoE. True Shot looks fun but will likely require mindgames to land on good players. I'm still hyped for dragonhunter but I might make mine a charr nevertheless.

I'm going straight Dragonhunter after the expac. Yep.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/closed-beta-testing-on-may-26/

Closed PvE Beta next Tuesday, May 26th for beta portal stoners and lucky newsletter subscribers.

NEVER LUCKY

From the article:

An early, partially completed version of the day/night cycle meta-event experience from Verdant Brink will also be available.

AWW YISS

AlStrong

RIP
niHrcBt.jpg

:O

Oh well, guess I'll try later.

edit: spoke too soon. Guess my router flaked for a second.

If someone in the guild asks for help doing story mode for a dungeon, and I'm not already in a dungeon, I'll usually join. I'm sure there are others with a similar mindset.

:) Cool.

Quenk

People on reddit are saying it seems mostly isolated to LA. Waypointing there or logging onto a character that's in LA seems to give that error.

Retro

New Build in 10 minutes;
Bug Fixes:
  • PvP: Fixed a bug that caused extreme lag for some players when opening the PvP scoreboard.
  • WvW: Fixed an issue in which guards would sometimes spawn for the wrong team.

Dead

well not really...yet
Whats the right level to enter WvW?

Im currently at 34, you get boosted to 80, but really you still are more likely to get wrecked by anyone who is actually level 80. So really all you can do is scout around, repair some stuff and maybe and take over some of the land and stuff.

Its kind of overwhelming to be honest. I get the system, but not sure if I should just hold off until my chara is level 80?

Retro

You can go into WvW and as long as you don't expect to be on the front edge of the zerg, contribute nicely. They ALWAYS need supply for siege, so as long as you're carrying some you're contributing. Just don't get right into the thick of things or someone will dump on you for being a rally-bot (i.e. the other team can kill you quickly to rally their downed teammates).

Join a havoc squad, flipping camps and maybe the occasional tower. Good times, I love running havoc.

Levyne

Banned
http://a.pomf.se/uhrpia.webm

(Made it small so that it would just behave like a GIF)

We used to struggle to 5 man the CoE 3 Destroyer dead in one round, now we did it with 4. Guess we gotta kick someone now to attempt 3.

Probably not the banners, or the thief, or the might and ice bow generator.

Damnit.

(Also PSA the webm for Neogaf Chrome extension if you don't have it. )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom