• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
3 pm buddy.

Also, I'm doing a GAF interview with Colin Johanson, asking him questions about Heart of Thorns. If you have any questions you'd like to ask (serious questions only) reply to this thread and I'll include the ones I think best likely to get a response. I've already for several questions lined up for him, and the answers I'll release here (which will inevitably end up on Reddit).

Who is Colin's favourite GAFer?

Ashodin

Could ask him a bit about post-release content for heart of thorns. Whether they intend to release further guildhall/specialization/weapon choices after the initial release.
Guild halls will most likely get extra stuff added at some point. Specializations I'd wager are expansion only things. Weapon choices too.

Reposting for new page:

Also, I'm doing a GAF interview with Colin Johanson, asking him questions about Heart of Thorns. If you have any questions you'd like to ask (serious questions only) reply to this thread and I'll include the ones I think best likely to get a response. I've already for several questions lined up for him, and the answers I'll release here (which will inevitably end up on Reddit).

Taffer

3 pm buddy.

Ask him if they have a solution for condition damage builds versus objects you can't put conditions on, it's the one thing that genuinely annoys me in-game and I haven't seen anything about it so far.

Ashodin

That is a very legitimate question!

Build templates will get a non answer. A better question is "is the fact WVW will have a separate build when entering signs of things to come?"

SourBear

Banned
On the GuildGab show they are saying that sPvP gets access to elite specializations even if they didn't buy the expansion. I guess that makes sense from a balancing perspective but... if all you do is sPvP then I guess there is no reason to get the expansion?

Guild halls will most likely get extra stuff added at some point. Specializations I'd wager are expansion only things. Weapon choices too.

Reposting for new page:

Does he want to go Engi 1vs1 against me?

Quenk

On the GuildGab show they are saying that sPvP gets access to elite specializations even if they didn't buy the expansion. I guess that makes sense from a balancing perspective but... if all you do is sPvP then I guess there is no reason to get the expansion?

You won't be able to play Revenant in sPvP.

Sonicbug

Pass along my request for dyeable accessories. My poor asura mesmer is stuck with color uncoordinated hair bows. (...and maybe sellable blade shards since I still have a thingy in my homebase dropping them on a regular basis.)

Also, build templates.

Retro

If you have any questions you'd like to ask (serious questions only) reply to this thread and I'll include the ones I think best likely to get a response.

Off the top of my head;

- Favorite piece of content from a development perspective, i.e. where the design just 'clicked' or it ended up working as anticipated or better. Something that players maybe didn't appreciate on the surface but was incredibly satisfying to see working, or the craziest idea you never thought would be implemented but somehow was.

- What are you most excited to see players get their hands on in relation to guild halls; craziest custom jumping puzzle, coolest structures, etc.

- Will reaching level 500 in cooking reward the Sandwichmancer title? (seriously)

- How are the tools used to customize guild halls; is moving and placing objects in the game space easy, with things like like precision placement, locking multiple objects into groups that can be moved as one, etc.?

- Is it possible those tools will be expanded to content outside of guild halls someday (probably going to get a non-answer on this one but I have to ask)?

We should predict hilarious bugs that will occur after Tuesday's update.

ANET: Fixed bug that would not allow mesmers to use thier own portals.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's doubtful Colin will venture anywhere near revealing exclusive info but I guess it can never hurt to ask.

Can we expect to see any changes to existing areas in the main game as a result of the storyline moving forward when HoT releases?
Are there plans for content that will make high-level fractal runners happy?
Can we expect to see Living Story Season 3 in the months following the HoT release?
Will future Living Story releases require Heart of Thorns to unlock or participate in?
Is any existing content being reworked to accommodate the removal of the condition cap and/or other gameplay tweaks?
We're very excited about Guild Halls and big changes to the Guild system overall- besides the missions to unlock each Guild Hall, can we expect to see new Guild Missions or Mission types on release?
Will there potentially be items in the gem store that are only purchasable by players who own HoT?

Retro

For anyone who's interested, here's the Ready Up episode that was ended early by twitch breaking; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbdl5WoAI90

Are there plans for content that will make high-level fractal runners happy?

Oh, that's a good one, maybe expand it to include other under-utilized content platforms?

Your post also reminded me of another one; Will players who haven't bought Heart of Thorns yet still be able to visit the Guild Hall?

Ashodin

I think glider skins will probably be for HoT owners only.

Yeah I think this one is a no-brainer. Gliders probably can't be bought if you don't have HoT.

Changing stats I think is a Legendary "status symbol". It's part of what makes it legendary.

Proven

3 pm buddy.

Could ask him a bit about post-release content for heart of thorns. Whether they intend to release further guildhall/specialization/weapon choices after the initial release.

Wait, whut? I'd like to get clarification on this. A more formalized question: What happens with PvP and WvW primary players who don't pick up the expansion?

Other questions:
For a PvP or WvW player, is there any chance there'll be a way to get maximum Hero Points without having to do PvE content?

Considering the summer will be spent bug fixing and balancing the specializations patch for the upcoming expansion and WTS tournament in Cologne, is there any leeway in the roadmap for the next several months for another WvW tournament?

What are the favorite elite specializations for you and some other members of the dev team. No need to be specific; it's fine to just say "Warrior Elite Specialization."

Any plans for new Amulets in PvP before the expansion?

Oddball: What do you think about making crafting slightly more valuable/profitable by adding more account bound currency usage to the earlier crafting levels? Like using Spirit Shards to buy vendor only materials (e.g. spools).

A mix of Heart of Thorns related and general questions. Also, where're the blog posts?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Ask Colin why his company has the audacity to ask me for an additional $50 after my initial $50 I gave them has only given me 2,269 hours of gameplay over the last 1,027 days.

leng jai

Ask Colin why his company has the audacity to ask me for an additional $50 after my initial $50 I gave them has only given me 2,269 hours of gameplay over the last 1,027 days.

I love how defense force likes to claim they already have thousands of hours of fun for their initial purchase when 90% of their play time is most likely afk-ing at world bosses and clicking essences of luck.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I love how defense force likes to claim they already have thousands of hours of fun for their initial purchase when they 90% of their play time is most likely afk-ing at world bosses and clicking essences of luck.

2/3rd of that time is spent looking for 3 more peeps for 10/10 dungeons.

leng jai

I don't do dungeons anymore since giving officer Toasty moral support for her ARAH runs once a month gives me too much gold already.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Your post also reminded me of another one; Will players who haven't bought Heart of Thorns yet still be able to visit the Guild Hall?
That's a very good one, I've seen it asked a few times before too.
I think glider skins will probably be for HoT owners only.
Oh, so we know glider skins are going to be a gem store thing? I guess that makes sense, another cosmetic touch. I don't think you get gliders at all without HoT either, so of course.

I'm more wondering if they have any plans to say release a weapon skin set that's an "HoT set," that won't be available to buy unless you have the expansion.

Right now, even with no release date, there doesn't seem to be any way to buy just the base game directly from ArenaNet anymore. Obviously there are plenty of keys out there still to be had for the time being. But going forward it looks as though they intend/desire to only sell one "box" (figuratively) at a time.
I love how defense force likes to claim they already have thousands of hours of fun for their initial purchase when they 90% of their play time is most likely afk-ing at world bosses and clicking essences of luck.
that's not the defense force, that's you!

For anyone who's interested, here's the Ready Up episode that was ended early by twitch breaking; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pbdl5WoAI90

Oh, that's a good one, maybe expand it to include other under-utilized content platforms?

Didn't WP said so, as long as the majority of the guild had HoT? I don't remember his exact wording but it sounded like that!

Retro

Using the fact that players create and belong to guilds as an actual story mechanic instead of just a social/gameplay one is pretty clever; the military of Tyria has basically fallen so they're recruiting the militia, basically.

Start writing dirty limericks now for use as our guild anthem, please.

Hey, if we overflow into GAFO they can just use cross-guild chat. Excellent.

Didn't WP said so, as long as the majority of the guild had HoT? I don't remember his exact wording but it sounded like that!

Ah ha, from the blog post; "While the Initiative Headquarters is not a full guild hall, it will provide access to existing features that we’re moving out of the guild panel for those guilds that do not upgrade to the expansion."

That's where non-expansion players can go for guild services.

Ashodin

Guild changes and the Halls are SUPER IN-DEPTH. They REALLY thought all this out.

Start writing dirty limericks now for use as our guild anthem, please.

What this guy is referring to:

First is the tavern, which is associated with socialization and effects. As a new proprietor, you’ll come here to rest until you’re ready to start constructing buildings. One of the upgrades you’ll be able to unlock through the tavern is the ability to choose an anthem for your guild. This will play for all to hear during moments of triumph, such as when you complete a guild mission or claim an objective in World vs. World.

Levyne

Banned
Digest version from my initial read.

The Guild Initiative Headquarters shared instance is kinda a pseudo guild hall for things being taken out of the 'G' panel. It will be accessible by people/guilds without the expansion.

6 proprietors from the Initiative that will act as merchants for some upgrades of the hall. You need

• Materials specific to each upgrade, go into the new Treasury.
  • Favor, something that is replacing Merits and you get via missions.
  • Aetherium, sounds like a time-gated mat retrieved from the Hall itself, lol.

The 6 components of the hall are

• Tavern - social stuff, guild anthem.
  • Mine - aetherum generation
  • Workshop - guild specific crafting to be discussed later.
  • War room - WvW claiming and stuff
  • Market - Guild weapons and armor (independant from guild crafting, i guess)
  • Arena - Combat sandbox and guild pvp teams

Many guild boosts becoming permanent unlocks. Example is reduced waypoint costs. Consumable upgrades will disappear. Others such as vault being grandfathered.

Resonance is mentioned as a reward for repping or small-party play within guild. Can use stockpiled influence to convert to favor or resonance.

Retro

Those attached to specific modes of play, such as the WXP or magic find boosters, are being replaced by a new guild-effects slot that functions like food and utility effects. Once your guild unlocks them, these effects will be available from a vendor in your tavern. Each guild member can only have one effect active at a time, but they’re free to swap and effectively never expire.

Saturday Night Missions (tentative schedule)
Step 1. Get to the Tavern.
Step 2. Get drunk.
Step 3. Get rowdy.
Step 4. Get Commendations.

Retro

We also want to celebrate your progress through the disciplines. It takes a lot of time and effort to unlock research levels, and if your guild managed to research all 24, that is seriously impressive! When Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns goes live and the Guild Initiative opens its doors in Lion’s Arch, we’ll have a welcoming NPC just outside the building. Upon one of your guild leaders speaking with that NPC, your guild will receive an exclusive guild hall decoration to commemorate your progress through the disciplines. If you’ve unlocked at least one, you’ll get a basic version, but there will be improved versions for those who were one-third and two-thirds through the total progression, as well as a special version for those guilds that managed to unlock all 24 research levels.

For those who are curious, GAFGuild has everything unlocked that we possibly can.

Wallach

For those who are curious, GAFGuild has everything unlocked that we possibly can.

Nice, we're in there.

How many commendations do you get nowadays from a full set of guild missions? The only ascended stuff I am missing on my Necro is an accessory and a couple off-hands. I'd rather not spend laurels on the accessory; I think it's like 2 weeks of missions to get one still?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow. This is all ArenaNet paying us back for blowing the shit out of our original tavern. Nice work guys. :)
Nice, we're in there.

How many commendations do you get nowadays from a full set of guild missions? The only ascended stuff I am missing on my Necro is an accessory and a couple off-hands. I'd rather not spend laurels on the accessory; I think it's like 2 weeks of missions to get one still?
Yeah, 6 per week. Exactly right, two weeks will get you an Ascended accessory from the Commendation vendor.

Proven

Basically, today was about the internal workings of guild halls, and tomorrow will be about all the ways guilds can take action in the world, from PvE (missions), PvP (league system), to WvW (buffs and siege weapons). Then there are the rewards (resonance and favor) you get from these activities. And finally there's the Scribe which interacts with materials from the world to (possibly) provide you with new ways to interact with the work, like the aforementioned siege weapons.

Edit: The stuff about resonance and resonance shards are the most intriguing and will likely be related to "challenging group content." So keep an eye out about that.

Ashodin

Basically, today was about the internal workings of guild halls, and tomorrow will be about all the ways guilds can take action in the world, from PvE (missions), PvP (league system), to WvW (buffs and siege weapons). Then there are the rewards (resonance and favor) you get from these activities. And finally there's the Scribe which interacts with materials from the world to (possibly) provide you with new ways to interact with the work, like the aforementioned siege weapons.

Edit: The stuff about resonance and resonance shards are the most intriguing and will likely be related to "challenging group content." So keep an eye out about that.

Definitely thinking Resonance is from dungeons and such.

Retro

Definitely thinking Resonance is from dungeons and such.

I can see Resonance appearing as an event reward (similar to gold, xp and karma) if a certain number of guild members were taking part in the event with you, as that would encourage players to head out into the world and do things together and integrate nicely with the attack / defend events in WvW. It might work with Adventures as well.

No idea what the Resonating Shards might be. Maybe something you find out in the world and activate / harvest to collect Resonance for your guild, but that seems like it'd be too much of a solo activity. Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Proven

It's specifically because of Resonance Shards that I don't think it's just a replacement to the bigger influence bonuses you get when you have guild members complete a dungeon or PvP match together. Based on previous posts by ANet, a shard in server technology lingo would be an instance.

Also, you know how on reddit the top bar of your subscribed subreddits is sorted based on the amount of activity each of those subreddits have? I just noticed that GW2 shot up above all my other subreddits, including Smash Bros and Heroes of the Storm (and Heroes has been making strides as one of the faster growing subreddits).

Retro

Good news, fellow engineers; perma-swiftness on kit use is back in.

It's specifically because of Resonance Shards that I don't think it's just a replacement to the bigger influence bonuses you get when you have guild members complete a dungeon or PvP match together. Based on previous posts by ANet, a shard in server technology lingo would be an instance.

I got the general impression it was more like a crystal shard (in the same way Skill points are becoming Spirit Shards). It says they're used for the new Scribe profession too. Total speculation here, but maybe they're a new crafting material used exclusively by Scribes to craft all sorts of guild-related things. The kicker would be that whenever someone in the guild crafts an item using Resonating Shards, the guild gains a small amount of Resonance. Crafting would literally benefit the guild.

Proven

I got the general impression it was more like a crystal shard (in the same way Skill points are becoming Spirit Shards). It says they're used for the new Scribe profession too. Total speculation here, but maybe they're a new crafting material used exclusively by Scribes to craft all sorts of guild-related things. The kicker would be that whenever someone in the guild crafts an item using Resonating Shards, the guild gains a small amount of Resonance. Crafting would literally benefit the guild.

Oh, that's a very good point. That would be cool, and comically relates to the question I posted about making crafting more profitable by using more specially acquired (although I said account bound) materials.

My transformation into Varix 2.0 continues.

tumblr_nq5x1lrCZC1uw05wlo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nq5x1lrCZC1uw05wlo6_1280.jpg

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom