• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Oh jeez, I just realized something about my Mesmer build from last night. There's a Chaos trait called Chaotic Transference. It gives 10% of your toughness as condition damage. Apparently I was sleep enough last night that I misread it and thought it just gave you a flat 10% condition duration for free. And I've been considering running the Mesmer build with Rampager gear instead of Rabid so I wouldn't have any toughness besides the base 1k. Dammit.

So now, I'm pretty much just sitting in Chaos for Chaotic Interruption. But with the Vulnerability changes I'm considering going into Domination. Considering Rampager is hybrid by nature, I'd get double benefit from the Vulnerability stacking that Domination provides. Domination also provides Blurred Inscriptions, which will help me with condi clear as well as let me get more use out of the new Signet of Midnight which passively increases condition duration by 20%. The only question left then is which Domination Adept to use. They all have some use, although I'm leaning on Empowered Illusions so that my Pistol Phantasms do more damage. http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgMC2AGsBbQ~

Alternate Inspirations option: http://dulfy.net/gw2traits#build=AgMC2ASUBbQ~
Sadly, the primary gain I get from Inspiration is Focus mastery, but it may pay off when I have a bit of extra survivability from mantras. At the very least the daze mantra is one of the best mantras, along with the condi cleanse one. Actually, I forgot how good mantras can be. Edit: My bar with this setup will probably be Mantra of Recovery (Heal), Mantra of Distraction (Daze), Mantra of Resolve (Condi Cleanse), Signet of Midnight (Condi Duration/Blind), and then whatever elite suits the situation. One of them (probably Resolve since I'll have the trait) will likely end up getting swapped out for Blink...

Another Edit: I could just stick with Chaos and use Chaotic Dampening to try and get more use out of Chaos Storm instead of depending on the Focus. But the Focus provides me with a fast hitting phantasm and traited it gives me a reflect that could save lives, plus it's a light field. I'd also have it with Sword which gives me another evade. Decisions, decisions, although I'm leaning on Inspiration the most at this point.

Morokh

Too bad the article about taking your guild-hall is so vague, it's the one thing in all this you'll basically get to do once ( per guild hall I would guess ) and I'm afraid that it'll only end up being a formality despite the PR focus they seem to do on it.

Everything else so far sounds great.

Retro

Too bad the article about taking your guild-hall is so vague, it's the one thing in all this you'll basically get to do once ( per guild hall I would guess ) and I'm afraid that it'll only end up being a formality despite the PR focus they seem to do on it.

I would expect there to be a guild mission (probably a challenge) that requires you to defend your Guild Hall at the very least.

Boogdud

I decided to load up the game last night to try to get things in order for the patch/expansion etc. I typically do this every 6months or so and never end up playing more than a day or so. The reason being one of the most petty, lame, finicky reasons possible. From closed beta until sometime recently, I was prevented from enjoying the game because (and you long time members have heard me whine about this) Charr footprints were always backwards. Well... last night was groundbreaking for me. They have been corrected!

I think honestly all they did was remove the 2nd pair of backwards prints, but I don't care. They're fixed as far as I'm concerned. I literally could not believe my eyes.

It's so stupid but that bugged me more than anything.

After the joy of the prints being fixed subsided, I realized I have absolutely NO clue what to do in this game. I pretty much duo with the wife and we both quit when they introduced ascended gear because we hate gear creep in mmos. But now with ascended gear being pretty much buffed I'm not sure how to even go about getting it.

My wife has never really recovered from the absence of heroes/ai partners from the original guild wars and still has a bad taste in her mouth for gw2 but she loves Anet's design eye so much she might just jump back in. Within 5 minutes of seeing the new skins, etc. she said out loud "you got me, arenanet, you got me".

I'm thinking about starting a new character and just playing through it again (necro maybe, I have a thief and engi with exotics but don't know where they stand anymore).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I decided to load up the game last night to try to get things in order for the patch/expansion etc. I typically do this every 6months or so and never end up playing more than a day or so. The reason being one of the most petty, lame, finicky reasons possible. From closed beta until sometime recently, I was prevented from enjoying the game because (and you long time members have heard me whine about this) Charr footprints were always backwards. Well... last night was groundbreaking for me. They have been corrected!

I think honestly all they did was remove the 2nd pair of backwards prints, but I don't care. They're fixed as far as I'm concerned. I literally could not believe my eyes.

It's so stupid but that bugged me more than anything.

After the joy of the prints being fixed subsided, I realized I have absolutely NO clue what to do in this game. I pretty much duo with the wife and we both quit when they introduced ascended gear because we hate gear creep in mmos. But now with ascended gear being pretty much buffed I'm not sure how to even go about getting it.

My wife has never really recovered from the absence of heroes/ai partners from the original guild wars and still has a bad taste in her mouth for gw2 but she loves Anet's design eye so much she might just jump back in. Within 5 minutes of seeing the new skins, etc. she said out loud "you got me, arenanet, you got me".

I'm thinking about starting a new character and just playing through it again (necro maybe, I have a thief and engi with exotics but don't know where they stand anymore).

ah man, I forgot they fixed charr footprints. it's a whole new world.

Ascended weapons and armor are really not anything you ought to prioritize. Frankly, having optimum gear stats just isn't really emphasized anywhere in the game's design. It's probably most relevant to those that participate in hardcore WvW. I really just wouldn't worry about it.

Ascended amulets, rings, and accessories on the other hand are all very simple and direct to get, especially if you guys roll with the guild.

Quenk

Colin on Ascended stuff coming on Tuesday

Just want to clarify since I saw this come up a couple of times in this thread and we haven’t actually released our full official patch notes for 6/23 yet….

Ascended Gear will be staying 5% better than Exotic Gear. Gear beyond the tiers we already have are not going to be added and our existing tiers won’t change, they won’t be our main end-game form of progression for your characters/account for all the reasons we’ve covered before – it isn’t what we think Gw2 is about.

Masteries is being added to PvE to help provide this system as our form of progression for PvE moving forward, and the WvW ability system exists for WvW and will be what we use to expand WvW in the future.

To more directly answer some of your point….We are adding a system that lets you change the stats for your ascended gear next Tuesday – which will cost a combination of 10 spirit shards, piece you don’t want anymore, 5 ectos, and an exotic insignia of the stats you want to convert to. Legendary Gear will remain the gear that can freely change stats any time.

-CJ

Sucks for all the people who panicked and rushed to buy silk a few days ago at the jacked up price.

Not only is ascended armor NOT getting bumped up to 10%, they're making it easier to get ascended gear without requiring boat loads of silk. Ahahaaahahaha.

Ascended Sinister Armor is super hard to get.

I wonder if I'll be able to change my typically unused Soldier set into that stat combo too. This is huge. :O

Proven

I might actually care about Ascended weapons and trinkets now.

He said "Legendary Gear", does that mean Legendary Armor's coming!!! LOL

We always knew Legendary armor was "on the table" for the longest time, lol.
Sucks for all the people who panicked and rushed to buy silk a few days ago at the jacked up price.

Not only is ascended armor NOT getting bumped up to 10%, they're making it easier to get ascended gear without requiring boat loads of silk. Ahahaaahahaha.

And now I'm extra glad I unloaded all that silk.

I wonder what T6 mat prices other than Powerful Blood are about to do.

You can make one of the sets that uses a cheaper material and convert it into Berserker.

Mxrz

Guhh. Have a bank tab of just ascended boxes. I was holding out for some sort of salvage system, this is even better. If they ever add this system to weapons and trinkets, I'm set for life.

Going over the changes coming Tuesday. I don't get most of them. First glance, seems like someone dislikes rangers and necros about as much as they love eles and engineers. If I had the time, would like to watch the video and see the reasoning for some of this.

Uh. Now ascended isn't going to be doing the 10% thing? Waiting for things to actually appear in game before getting invested might just be the better idea.

Quenk

I wonder what T6 mat prices other than Powerful Blood are about to do.

You can make one of the sets that uses a cheaper material and convert it into Berserker.

You still need the berserker insignia though so is there really a reason to craft with a different one?

Quenk

Oh, that's right. I was thinking the Ascended Insignia needed multiples of the Exotic Insignia for some reason.

Luckily they don't. Also, I'm glad the conversion is using exotic insignias instead of ascended because it's not going to require extra damask.

Edit: Slotted upgrades will probably be destroyed during the conversion, right? I'm guessing so if it's a mystic forge recipe for the conversion.

Edit edit: Yup. Colin confirmed it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

exquisite

I wonder can you do this with ascended gear that you got from boxes/drops or just crafted stuff?
If they ever add this system to weapons
What in the language he used implies that it can't be done to weapons?

Quenk

exquisite

I wonder can you do this with ascended gear that you got from boxes/drops or just crafted stuff?

What in the language he used implies that it can't be done to weapons?

The extra post he made that I linked to in the edit of my last post confirms that it's for armor and weapons (inscription instead of insignia)

Mxrz

Insignia are a component of armors alone. He later clarified it'll be for both armor and weapons, so hooray.

There's no difference between crafted and boxed items. Can't see it not working with either.

Moondrop

Banned
So I watched the entire 5 hour balance batch stream
while playing Splatoon
. My overall impression is being impressed by how much thought went into the trait revamp. Deliberate care was given such that how a profession achieves a specific role feels true to that class. And they really went back and strengthened the conceptual consistency of each trait line, not merely basing them around the 1-5:power-crit-toughness-vitality-profession paradigm as before. Plus there were so many subtle changes that we overlooked at first glance.

Some specific thoughts:
- Elementalist will have strong aura play via traits; I'm definitely putting some in my S/F build. And the condi changes may enable condi ele builds via burn stacking. I don't think ele will be nerfed, but I think overall they received the least significant changes.
- Mortar kit looks to be the truth; I'm definitely building around that. But then there's also the potential for double AoE moas. Suddenly the crate elite, which itself received great buffs, is the weakest choice.
- Still nonplussed about the warrior traits. Even my old cleric build gets nothing great out of lines 1,2, & 5. I have high hopes that the elite specialization line can be used with my shout healer (even though I don't play it any more QQ).
- Mesmer can do some really interesting support just by speccing into Inspiration via the minors- AoE condi cleanse when you heal (Mirror has 15s CD) plus spread your distortion to allies. Plus mesmer's scepter and pistol got huge buffs made baseline. With scepter, the auto-attack is smoother for clone generation and the #3 is much faster.
- Necromancer vampiric traits may actually be a good reason to bring necros for harder content- they attack as additional dps and heals that don't detract from you or your party's basic rotations. I kind of want to make a support necro; it looks really interesting. Also, they relayed an amusing anecdote in which initially the fall damage trait was classified as a corruption, putting conditions on you every time.
- The ranger shortbow trait is really nice. I'll probably remake my PvP build as condi survival. The taunt via pet will be the only taunt in the game as of Tuesday.
- Instead of the boon strip on steal trait, thieves can trait down the CD of withdraw and have it remove a condition. Between this the perks in Acrobatics, maybe I'll learn to play sword.
- Another amusing anecdote was with guardian in which they initially had no ICD on a burn foes you block trait, leading to 5k burn ticks on those who used multi-hit attacks.

In one fell swoop, a lot of the noise will go down. Well played Arena net. Well played.

This also means that all my ascended chest are actually useful.

Retro

What greatsword is that? (the one link is using)

It's one of the new Guild Weapon skins. They're wearing the new armor too.

Edit: Wow, so there are unique skins for both Guild Hall locations. So we'll have to unlock both. The shimmering stuff is amazing looking though.

In one fell swoop, a lot of the noise will go down. Well played Arena net. Well played.

Nothing stops a temper tantrum like a shiny new toy.

Retro

You know what's really impressive? The way these buildings are "melting" in, in real-time. It's a very cool effect, much better than the existing ripple-y cloud thing they currently use. It looks amazing.

Retro

Charr Cars are gained from Supply Depots, which means Havoc squads can claim a camp and then roll out as steampunk Motorcycle tanks. Crazy.

Edit: Wow, WvW towers can be upgraded to watch towers that show enemy movement nearby... that's... insane.

Edit 2: Blog posts will go up in an hour or two, according to the stream.

Man that was awesome. ArenaNet<3 You are the best!

Like with Valve, it can be really distracting to be a fan and kept in the dark sometimes, but they often hit it out of the mark even if there are a few misses!

Jessica said the technology for these WvW and guild claim systems was way too big to be a update scheduled release. It sounds like future improvements will go under this new system.

The Arena looks amazing. I hope we can place chairs (and maybe even a throne with a little stool next to it, for guild leader and guild joke mascot(Kos) in the outer ring who spectators.

We should make a game mode with Free For All hunger games style only with those FEAR inducing turrets. Last man not to get feared off the edge of the arena and falling off wins. It's like cliff hanger mixed with battle royale. "Cliff-Royale".

The CHAR CARRS. CHARRCARS. CHACRAS. CHARS. CHAS. CC! AMAZING.

Morokh

Bunch of really interesting stuff in the Livestream :eek:

Lots of potential around the arena for some fun guild events, from free-form arena building live, to having a different person build the arena each week for an event and so on ...

The animation for upgrading buildings is so awesome, worth a guild event everytime imo :p

John Peters is way more practical when he talks about stuff, the others always seem like they're just reciting the blog posts all over again it's always refreshing.

I was right about the datamined armor, not a fan about the shapes of the new weapns but the effects look real nice.

Bunch of really interesting stuff in the Livestream :eek:

Lots of potential around the arena for some fun guild events, from free-form arena building live, to having a different person build the arena each week for an event and so on ...

The animation for upgrading buildings is so awesome, worth a guild event everytime imo :p

John Peters is way more practical when he talks about stuff, the others always seem like they're just reciting the blog posts all over again it's always refreshing.

I was right about the datamined armor, not a fan about the shapes of the new weapns but the effects look real nice.

That usually ends with him revealing more than he is suppose to, which is good for us, but I doubt they (arena net) are happy about that.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
GMG has a 25% off coupon off coupon sitewide that expires June 22nd. All retailers get HoT preorder pages starting June 23rd. Conspiracy? I like to think so.

Morokh

Guild missions blog post not clearly answering the biggest question : will there be new guild missions ? ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Trey

Guild missions blog post not clearly answering the biggest question : will there be new guild missions ? ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

you would think, with this push to make guilds a focus of the game, they would further flesh out existing guild content. It only makes sense.

Retro

Since nobody linked them:
Guild Halls: From Pen to Production to Placement
Guild Objective Claiming in World vs. World
Introducing PvP Guild Teams

Edit: Since we were just talking about it, here's what Resonance / Resonating Crystals are;

The main source of resonance is a new item called a resonating shard, which is discovered while grouping with other guild members. When you find one, bring it to the assembly device attendant at your guild workshop. They&#8217;ll reward you with some loot and harvest the resonance from the shard, adding it to your guild&#8217;s pool of resonance.

So it's an item that drops when you're grouped with guildies. Wonder what the drop rate is going to be or if there are ways you can specifically 'farm' them.

Edit 2:
Basic decorations can be purchased from a vendor in your guild hall, but catalyst materials found throughout the world can be used to transform one of the basic decorations into a special, finer version. For example, you&#8217;ll be able to obtain a Basic Stone Pool from the decorations vendor, but it&#8217;s a bit plain. High atop the Hidden Garden jumping puzzle in Mount Maelstrom, however, are a trio of air elementals that can drop an Essence of Illumination. Finding one of these essences will unlock a recipe that uses that essence to refine your Basic Stone Pool into an Illuminated Fountain&#8212;a much larger, lovelier tiled fountain ringed by softly glowing lanterns.

Fuck. Anything that drops catalysts are going to get farmed to shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom