• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Somethoughts on the new boss HP:

Double HP on Shadow Behemoth made the fight extremely tedious tbh. This patch only serves to show even more clearly that the bosses need a substantial gameplay overhaul that makes the fights more involved. They're still just punching bags, which is what most of PvE feels like anyway I guess. Making the punching bags take even longer to beat is not the right way forward at all, as it only makes the fights (more) boring. This isn't a good design decision if it's anything but temporary. I'm sitting here contemplating skipping out on world bosses for the time being, as doing other dailies go so much quicker now. And I've only done one of the easiest bosses so far, waiting for Maw atm. Trying Claw or Golem mark 2 makes me shudder :)

One positive thing though is that the bosses do feel more like big events and "bossy" which I suspect was the plan all along. But the way they're trying to accomplish this isn't very attractive. Fixing condi damage was absolutely one step in the right direction for the game's gameplay, but this hotfix goes a few steps back if the goal is to create a more varied and involved game.

Fake edit: Maw was still quite easy, but all we ever do there is just stand there like morons and pressing some buttons, no need to even move except during the pre-events. SB is better that way because of the portal shields. I suppose it's a resource question, it takes money to completely change such an integral part of the system, but still.

While they retooling the fights they should also retool the reward system, RNG is just a shitty way of rewards, rather dungeon token reward system, bosses give out coins like Teq gives out 15, Maw 2, etc, no more daily rare chest, instead you get coins and choose what rare you want from the reward NPC, in general i am tired of RNG reward system...

Mxrz

Yeah, I'd probably start skipping Teq if it becomes unpuggable, and the rest of the bosses too. I only do them (teq maw, sometimes karka/golem) now for a bit of easy gold. In the 35-40 minute (afk) time it takes to do Teq, I could run a few dungeon paths and come out with a lot more.

With HoT coming, quick (old) world bosses shouldn't be negative. Making the fights tedious is just going to lead to less people doing them, especially when the new content hits.

Yeah, I'd probably start skipping Teq if it becomes unpuggable, and the rest of the bosses too. I only do them (teq maw, sometimes karka/golem) now for a bit of easy gold. In the 35-40 minute (afk) time it takes to do Teq, I could run a few dungeon paths and come out with a lot more.

With HoT coming, quick (old) world bosses shouldn't be negative. Making the fights tedious is just going to lead to less people doing them, especially when the new content hits.

I run boss train because it doesn't require much, a bunch of people pressing 1, but if they want longer fights then they need to up the rewards, because fighting one boss for 15mins and coming out with ONE FUCKING RARE I can make more money running CoF1 in faster time..

Trey

Bosses have needed an overhaul for a while. Taco and Triple Wurm are the only interesting ones, which makes sense considering they were individually addressed.

Levyne

Banned
I don't know why I find it kinda funny that Anet released this pretty large patch without much issue or drama, not a ton of bugs, and then this surprised change to world bosses kinda feels like they were making up for that, lol.

Morokh

Tequatl needs to stay that way, I've done it twice and the map failed twice, but we only missed the mark from a tiny bit.

It's perfectly doable, people just need to up their game a little and actually learn the mechanics of the fight and what changed.

I mean usually half the turrets don't cleanse or buff, some defense groups can spare one or two people and I could go on ....

Retro

I don't know why I find it kinda funny that Anet released this pretty large patch without much issue or drama, not a ton of bugs, and then this surprised change to world bosses kinda feels like they were making up for that, lol.

They front-loaded all the drama before the update when everyone was crying doom and gloom for their various professions. Once people got their hands on stuff it quieted down and it seems like most people are happy with what they got.

Have the boss changes really created that much drama? I haven't done Teq since the chance and I usually just poke a world boss if it's up, so maybe I just haven't been exposed to it. Surely people don't think bosses being vaporized (again, remember before they overhauled them in September 2013?) is a good thing?

I can understand the reaction though if they've brought all the bosses up to the same level of tedious as Jormag.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Traited my Mesmer to apply my boons to my party every time I cast a Phantasm. I proceed to join a CoF pug with 3 warriors and an Ele and not a single player was giving might or fury.

...It just hit me that I still haven't been in Lions Arch since the update.

Tequatl needs to stay that way, I've done it twice and the map failed twice, but we only missed the mark from a tiny bit.

It's perfectly doable, people just need to up their game a little and actually learn the mechanics of the fight and what changed.

I mean usually half the turrets don't cleanse or buff, some defense groups can spare one or two people and I could go on ....
I disagree.
It's old content. Should all be on easy mode "on rails" stuff not to annoy new/old people.

Then you up the ante with expansion endgame, and add in appropriate rewards.

Old content should never be made "easy mode." If you don't want to be engaged playing the game, go idle in Lion's Arch.

All of the World Bosses need a lot of work to make them acceptable. There's no damage or health values you can double to fix the fundamental flaws in having something like the Svanir Shaman just stand there and get pounded on for a few minutes by 100 players.

You want longer world boss battles then we need better rewards, otherwise this is absolutely the fucking stupid..harder content with the same shit reward is just wasting my fucking time, not going through all that for shit rewards, i rather play another game, did one dungeon run and been playing CS;GO, need to play more FF13 gotta beat one of my games i got on steam sale lol..

Levyne

Banned
Just getting this on this page, sorry to be obnoxious.

I feel like the Guild hasn't had many chances to do anything together in a large-ish group in a while. Luckliy with the update there seems to be a little bit more energy in the game recently. I can't think of a better time for something like this:

GAF Jumping Puzzle Event: Troll's Revenge
Sunday, June 28th after make-up missions (~5:00pm ET)

The new jumping puzzle in LA is quite cool and while it is an extensive trip around a good chunk of New LA, I feel like it doesn't meander as much as the silverwaste puzzle and would make a good group event. I had a lot of fun completing it with a couple of GAF and figuring out all the little details of how the puzzle leads the player through visual cues and the like.

Anyone is welcome to participate. I hope to see a lot of people there, whether you had already done the puzzle by then or not. Bring Mesmers! Because there are no real checkpoints to retry from what I could tell. I hope that we can get a lot of people through without them having to resort to following a dulfy guide by themselves or something boring like that (I see people selling ports to the portions of the puzzle, pretty lame imo).

And of course, I'm sure there will be a picture opportunity at the end, the most important part.

I hope the time works for most of you! We can shift it around if another time seems more appropriate.

I never said I wanted longer battles. I want battles where you actually do something. Longer doesn't equal harder, unless you've got a serious case of ADD.

It doesn't matter if it takes one minute or fifteen, if all you did was stand there and watch your autoattack go off, you don't deserve a better reward.

I'm not sure why anyone would waste time doing the World Bosses for rewards when you can do a single Silverwastes Breach and Vinewrath and get more for it. And guess what? Not everyone can stand and press 1 to win at those events. It rewards effort more than time.

Minamu

Old content should never be made "easy mode." If you don't want to be engaged playing the game, go idle in Lion's Arch.

All of the World Bosses need a lot of work to make them acceptable. There's no damage or health values you can double to fix the fundamental flaws in having something like the Svanir Shaman just stand there and get pounded on for a few minutes by 100 players.
It's not like the Shaman would be terribly difficult to fix either. From the top of my head, possibly make him invincible at times and make him run or teleport to one of four other positions on the ice nearby, get him to cast fear for 2 seconds on everyone or some other screwy condition so everyone have to react and reposition themselves. That alone would make the fight more interesting. Or have him respawn some elite Sons of Svanir like at the start, they already have the code for this obviously. Maybe bring back the portals every now and then to change things up a little? It's basically scripted events they already use. Either of them would change the fight into something different.

Difficulty is the wrong word to use. They can still be varying degrees of easy (especially in starter zones), they just need to be engaging. A boss like the Shaman could have an instant-kill AoE with an obvious cast animation, and while it would be really easy to walk out of it, you couldn't just go AFK and expect to be alive when you got back. At least you could say you paid attention and reacted to something.

Shadow Behemoth should go fucking HAM on the people who just stand there and don't attack the portals.

Trey

Shadow Behemoth should go fucking HAM on the people who just stand there and don't attack the portals.

Correct.This is fun.

Jormag phases shouldn't take so long.

FE should attack the top platform with knockdowns more.

Maw should give up with those tornadoes, or make them more active and centered on himself. Maybe give him an anti melee wall spike when he hits half health and transforms into a berserker.

Taida should have some goons/bodyguards and be more active within her own ship, which could be booby trapped or something.

After the patch update everyone's DPS increased by +- 20 % and the condi cap removed which is awesome , but it caused World bosses ( which are already dead easy ) to become glorified punching bags .

A boss like teq should not be beaten by a full pug map before the 10 minutes mark is reached .

Pug maps were killing teq at about the 10 minute mark for 2 days not only because of the DPS increase but mostly because there was a bug with boon sharing, there was no cap (it's usually 5) so everyone had 25 might all the time, everyone had infinite quickness, etc. Yesterday was more like the pre-patch tequatl, and tonight will be interesting to see.

Adding to Trey's examples above, Golem Mark II needs to have the safe spots removed and the electric fields better telegraphed, and the fight needs to be made drastically shorter. People using melee would help with that on its own.

Minamu

We should apply for job positions at Anet, that's for sure ;)
I asked an employee in-game awhile back, but the lack of a green card makes it a bit of a hassle for all involved unfortunately :/

Anno

Unfortunately I think it's hard to make the bosses difficult without imposing a time limit, which just makes it a DPS race unless some penalty is imposed on people going down or dying. I'd love to see something like powerful adds being summoned if someone dies, or maybe just give it the dungeon treatment and disallow respawns in the same zone while the event continues.

Ashodin

Adding to Trey's examples above, Golem Mark II needs to have the safe spots removed and the electric fields better telegraphed, and the fight needs to be made drastically shorter. People using melee would help with that on its own.

Yeah I want the electric fields better telegraphed for sure. A quick glowing red spot before it shows up would be helpful. Currently they're just "OH HERES SOME ELECTRICITY"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND you're dead

Unfortunately I think it's hard to make the bosses difficult without imposing a time limit, which just makes it a DPS race unless some penalty is imposed on people going down or dying. I'd love to see something like powerful adds being summoned if someone dies, or maybe just give it the dungeon treatment and disallow respawns in the same zone while the event continues.

GW2's frequent lack of roles (beyond DPS) in large group content is what the conversation has been working towards all along. The game's mechanics work best when the event isn't just focused on hitting a stationary target.

There needs to be multiple varieties of objectives for people to spread out to before it feels like anything other than a DPS race. Tequatl and Triple Wurm do it, and I would love to see it more elsewhere.

Look even at the Silverwastes bosses. Things like building the honeycombs at the Beekeeper Troll and popping the poison bubbles on the Gold and Silver Teragriffs. Small mechanics that keep you invested in the action.

ANet has made it very clear this is how things will be going forward, I just don't want to see the old World Bosses left behind. There is a chance with them to greatly enrich the game.

Anno

GW2's frequent lack of roles (beyond DPS) in large group content is what the conversation has been working towards all along. The game's mechanics work best when the event isn't just focused on hitting a stationary target.

There needs to be multiple varieties of objectives for people to spread out to before it feels like anything other than a DPS race. Tequatl and Triple Wurm do it, and I would love to see it more elsewhere.

Look even at the Silverwastes bosses. Things like building the honeycombs at the Beekeeper Troll and popping the poison bubbles on the Gold and Silver Teragriffs. Small mechanics that keep you invested in the action.

Yeah definitely, I don't disagree. I just wish there was more of an incentive on staying alive. The Silverwaste bosses actually do this well. Waypoints are decently far away (and really far away if someone doesn't take the extra step of opening the skritt tunnels) and a few people going down can quickly snowball into you failing a fight.

I'm not sure why anyone would waste time doing the World Bosses for rewards when you can do a single Silverwastes Breach and Vinewrath and get more for it. And guess what? Not everyone can stand and press 1 to win at those events. It rewards effort more than time.

SW is map coordination, and it takes forever to get it done if you not in a good map, and even good maps usually break up after 2-3 rounds, bosses stay on a rotations all day long finding a good map in SW is like RNG, SW is Champ bag farm and that is 50times more boring that WBT..

Yeah definitely, I don't disagree. I just wish there was more of an incentive on staying alive. The Silverwaste bosses actually do this well. Waypoints are decently far away (and really far away if someone doesn't take the extra step of opening the skritt tunnels) and a few people going down can quickly snowball into you failing a fight.

Right, in my mind the incentive to stay alive should be that you are doing something important that becomes much more difficult on other players when you aren't there to do it. Currently no one cares if you are there or not for most World Bosses. I like ideas for extra penalties on death too though, or maybe even extra rewards if you managed to stay alive for an entire event.

SW is map coordination, and it takes forever to get it done if you not in a good map, and even good maps usually break up after 2-3 rounds, bosses stay on a rotations all day long finding a good map in SW is like RNG, SW is Champ bag farm and that is 50times more boring that WBT..

SW does an exceptionally good job these days of being full of like-minded individuals who want to see the map succeed. I've not had any issues using LFG to join an event map in several months. All four forts stay under control, the Breach bosses die with minutes to spare, and not a single lane fails the Vinewrath assault. Afterwards we chase down the Champions that patrol the map, run the maze for Nightmare keys, and get ready to do it all over again. Except you don't have to do it over again, because you've already made more money than you would have during multiple hours of standing AFK at World Bosses.

When the map does dissolve, it's because everyone is sitting on a fat stack of shovels, and all they want to do is run around making bank opening Bandit Chests. Which is boring too, but that's not what I am advocating doing.

Ashodin

"Colin, you are going to do more elite specializations next week, right?"

sFF0i1R.gif

Proven

Ike already said it more or less, but your answer is LFG. If any Silverwastes instance has an LFG going, then it's going to succeed. Then you just jump back into LFG.

Shiokazu

quick question:

would having a bigger capture ring, say, towers having the capture ring being centered around the entire building(starting from inside the walls), make it easier to defend? i think the garrison is very nice the way it is, the castles is a " i dont know " because when i go in a invasion, normally the fight is not as fierce as to have a real contest going on in the area.

camps are fine, they can be get and taken quickly and i find it cool the way it is.

i just find that the towers could use a change like this, because a attacking force simply ignores anything that is defending the tower, rushes to the lord, kills it and spams fields inside the lord room making it impossible to any kind of resistance. For tower keepers, having the gate breached means you lose.

Retro

Reminder: Guild Missions begin in one hour!
We should meet at the new Captain's Council tavern in LA. There's even a stage for the more musically-inclined individuals (or, you know, the scantily-clad ones, I guess).

Mxrz

Yeah, failed Teq again. 30 mins early, organized map. full melee zerk warrior, only death at the end of a failed burned, etc. Think I saw maybe 2-3 crits total. People claimed it was only the head that could be crit, but I was all over looking for it.

I figure it gets patched in some fashion.

Still less annoying than Jormag.

Ashodin

This is what I got so far for the GAF Logo:

7eW4GiL.png

OK so maybe not so subtle, but it's a phoenix bursting from the ashes.

(I love phoenixes)

Been workin' on it all day

th3dude

Long time no see (in Tyria at least!). Jumped in for a portion of the guild missions tonight. Love it!

All of the changes in the last year or so since I've played leave me feeling quite lost. Will take some time to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Wanderer5

Not sure if I shown him here before, but the brief talk about cosplaying characters had me bring my Link to check out the new LA.

First is a old picture, which I will later get the guild shield, and dye the base of the hat into yellow/gold ish to kind of reflect his hair.

Now that I have gotten HoT and be getting two additional character slots, I probably try out another cosplaying.

nataku

I hope they fix the draw distance in new LA. All the buildings disappear when your at the lighthouse, which really ruins the view. It just looks like a flat plain. I went to take some screens of about where I took a panorama of old LA and I can't see anything in the distance.

Ashodin

I hope they fix the draw distance in new LA. All the buildings disappear when your at the lighthouse, which really ruins the view. It just looks like a flat plain. I went to take some screens of about where I took a panorama of old LA and I can't see anything in the distance.

Are you at the top? Are you talking about the layer of clouds/fog up there?

Wanderer5

samus and link

Man would probably have to dig out a pic, but a while back, me and a couple other guildies from Fort Engineer made a nintendo guild and had Peach, Toad, Mario, Samus, and Link (mine).:p Was amusing getting together and even role playing a bit.

Not a bad looking samus there, through gas mask all the way.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom