• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ranger dungeon meta build being proposed now has already fallen back to Longbow.

RIP Greatsword and Remorseless. You barely had a chance.

Ashodin

I guess the three most important things to PvP are

2. Know when and how to resurrect a teammate or stomp an enemy. Knowing about when it's better to cleave, remembering to apply poison, etc.
This one. Thisssssssssssssssss oneeeeeeeeeeee

That close ass game with Dragon rank players.

Quenk

The Ranger dungeon meta build being proposed now has already fallen back to Longbow.

RIP Greatsword and Remorseless. You barely had a chance.

I saw that. Brazil posted the spreadsheets from the calculations for lb+sw/a and gs+s/a (both predator's onslaught):

qrdQ0hM.png

S5uv9oP.png

Ashodin

Eugh GW2 spreadsheets? I'm gonna be sick.

I'm glad I don't subscribe to that philosophy in this game. Min/maxing is boring as hell.

Levyne

Banned
I wasn't sure why they were bringing resounding timbre until I remembered the Elite is a shout now. And I guess Sic Em is still being taken over QZ.

Quenk

I wasn't sure why they were bringing resounding timbre until I remembered the Elite is a shout now. And I guess Sic Em is still being taken over QZ.

I haven't watched the video yet but Pernix said that it's situational. Sic Em is better in short fights where the Guardian provides enough quickness.

Eugh GW2 spreadsheets? I'm gonna be sick.

I'm glad I don't subscribe to that philosophy in this game. Min/maxing is boring as hell.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GW2 combat is action based. All the spreadsheets in the world won't make you a better player or protect you in a fight. First and foremost, knowing what to do and how things work is always more important than what backpiece you are wearing.

Conversely, once you've conquered a boss and learned all there is to know, the only thing left to do is master the numbers game.

I think it's boring as hell to not try to find ways to improve in both cases.

Ashodin

¯_(ツ)_/¯

GW2 combat is action based. All the spreadsheets in the world won't make you a better player or protect you in a fight. First and foremost, knowing what to do and how things work is always more important than what backpiece you are wearing.

Conversely, once you've conquered a boss and learned all there is to know, the only thing left to do is master the numbers game.

I think it's boring as hell to not try to find ways to improve in both cases.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think finding new ways to use what you've got more fun and interesting. Mastering the numbers game is just plain awful. Math is Meeeeh!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think finding new ways to use what you've got more fun and interesting. Mastering the numbers game is just plain awful. Math is Meeeeh!

There's room for all of it. There's no need to be exclusionary.

Doing dungeons solo/duo is a great chance to find new ways to use what you've got. Your personal abilities and knowledge, along with every character skill, trait, and piece of equipment you've selected, contribute hugely to your success or failure. You're also talking to the guy who runs stuff like "No HUD, Rifle-only" Dungeons and "Naked" Fractals. I'm no stranger to fun and interesting.

But in an organized party of five, it's a lot more fun to me for everyone to use what they're best at rather than try to do a bunch of things that don't contribute as much to the effort. I like knowing that people have the skills needed not only to ensure our success, but to also demonstrate complete and total mastery of the content. It's part of being a team. You don't just want to scrape by, you want to dominate.

It's perfectly fine to just play around and have fun, but don't ever come into a run where people are seriously putting in their best effort and purposely take the attitude that you'll just do whatever, even when you know better, and convince yourself you earned your spot to be there.

I don't say this to sound elitist at all. On the contrary, I am willing to adapt to every playstyle imaginable in the game and help players from the moment they purchase the game to the day they are speedrunning Arah P4. Whatever they are most comfortable with. But the anti-meta attitude that "people doing things together a certain way in their attempt to be as strong as possible" somehow needs to be mocked is laughable. You've taken plenty of digs at us before, and this conversation has reminded me that the one with Colin in Guild Chat Saturday night wasn't appreciated at all.

Ashodin

Oh Ike you know I love your posts about the crazy reflects and duo/solo dungeon stuff you guys do. It's a testament to GAF Guild's ingenuity!

I apologize if you're getting defensive; I wasn't writing my post to be either exclusionary or demeaning toward your playstyle - rather that I think different playstyles can mesh in the game quite well regardless of intent (short of deliberately not trying to play with the dungeon group).

And it's not about being "anti-meta", it's about being "pro-fun"
highfive.gif

And what's fun to everyone is subjective, and should be encouraged!

As to your last comment, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

As an addendum, I've been meaning to start some articles on reddit championing "fun" builds that are in no way meta builds (or could be close to meta) that offer unique and interesting ways to play. I feel like there's not enough content for my playstyle being written.

That ranger video is the reason why PvE need to be like PvP when it comes to gear, PvP allows you to switch stats without having to get new armor, i think the entire system should be like that for weapons and armor runes/sigil all of it, make it when you have to have it unlocked to use it..they have made some decent progress with allowing us to change our Ascended gear, but the entire game needs a make over, we should all have 1 armor set and 1 of each weapon per class, and switch on the fly for the situation...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
"Ugh, math people, I'm gonna be sick" first and foremost just adds nothing of value to the conversation, and I'm sure you know that. Beyond that, it's easy to perceive the comment as though your point is that your way is better and other ways are worse.

Before you say something try to imagine first what benefit it will bring to the discourse under the best circumstances, and second if there's any chance that anyone at all on the other side might remotely perceive it as dismissive, tasteless, or a knock against their behavior or attitudes. If you can't quickly identify a clear-cut answer about the first, think long and hard about the second. I know for a fact that you don't say these things out of malice, which means the part that you need to work on is a lack of consideration for how other people might react.

I make this point as someone who, like you, has no interest at all in making spreadsheets of GW2 builds.

This is the only shot I could get of a few of us at Roland's chest before I had to run, and a quick cool one of me and lil' holoscarlet.
Thanks again so much for hosting and leading the way Levyne, Apple, Ike and anyone else who saved me with many a portal

Ashodin

Certainly! My comments are always made not in any sort of personal attack or superior view held - rather that I enjoy conversation and want to express my opinion. I shall endeavor to hold back the extra bits I include in my posts so I do not offend those around me.

Thanks Hawkian! Let's all continue to be awesome GAFfers!

Cels

Logged back in cause I heard there were new changes, and there definitely were, and for the better! Having fun exploring the new LA.

So, I'm trying to figure out the specializations. I set my three traits for Zeal but then I switch Zeal to some other specialization. When I switch back, why doesn't the game remember the traits I chose for Zeal? Do I have to set traits every time? I probably won't switch that often being a super casual player but this is kind of an annoyance.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Logged back in cause I heard there were new changes, and there definitely were, and for the better! Having fun exploring the new LA.

So, I'm trying to figure out the specializations. I set my three traits for Zeal but then I switch Zeal to some other specialization. When I switch back, why doesn't the game remember the traits I chose for Zeal? Do I have to set traits every time? I probably won't switch that often being a super casual player but this is kind of an annoyance.
You have to pick 3 specializations for your build; if you switch to one of the 3 you aren't using, yeah, it starts out blank.

We really really need build templates more than ever now.

Ashodin

I remember they said they wanted it to remember but it could be a coding issue. That the line is basically overwritten and can't be "stored" as a value when swapping specializations in.

I've been playing since the patch - switching is a little issue as I've gotten used to the layout of the traits - possibly more time with it might allow you to get used to where each trait is for quick selection.

You have to pick 3 specializations for your build; if you switch to one of the 3 you aren't using, yeah, it starts out blank.

We really really need build templates more than ever now.

might just happen

Proven

It's likely due to one of two possibilities. Either they're afraid of the memory footprint per account per character per elite+regular specialization (which is currently doubled between PvE and PvP/WvW already; in fact, they may have spent the memory footprint on that little feature instead), or it's because they want to do build templates relatively soon and they don't want to spend coding time on a problem that will eventually be moot (even if in ANet time we'll be waiting 8 momths) while they still have to get HoT out the door.

Or there's the third option that it was supposed to happen but it bugged out instead.

Emitan

I don't think FT is a bad weapon but I think it's weird that a freaking flamethrower isn't the best burning damage weapon in the game.

nataku

It's likely due to one of two possibilities. Either they're afraid of the memory footprint per account per character per elite+regular specialization (which is currently doubled between PvE and PvP/WvW already; in fact, they may have spent the memory footprint on that little feature instead), or it's because they want to do build templates relatively soon and they don't want to spend coding time on a problem that will eventually be moot (even if in ANet time we'll be waiting 8 momths) while they still have to get HoT out the door.

Or there's the third option that it was supposed to happen but it bugged out instead.

Honestly, I hope they copy what they did in GW1. The game generated codes based on your build and then just saved the code in a simple text file on your computer with whatever you named it. When you copied that code and pasted it in game it gave you a preview of what skills were in it before you saved or used it. It was a really nice, simple system. Really easy to share with others, too.

Ashodin

remember when we feared alpha back in 2012

One of my favorite feelings and what I imagine is that the player characters have grown in power and become stronger over time, thus making previous challenges easier. With this new patch, we've risen to a new level of power that just destroys old challenges and things that used to be difficult (traveling through the Silverwastes is much easier than it used to be, I find).

hehe, you guys can probably take him apart blindfolded at this point.

Yeah, most of the time we just melee on top of him. The only reason we pull him down there for that one fight is because the front door behind him still works despite not being lit up or whatever. If we scoot a little too close to the door we meander out of the dungeon, happened to us exactly twice and we said never again

Spyware

Why is it that whenever I apply dye to a single slot on a single piece of armor, the entire armor on my character turns that colour?
There is a recent bug in the dye panel where all slots appear to be the color you have selected when you press apply. It's only visible in the hero panel and not on the actual character. The only way I've found to fix it (to be able to change dyes again for example) is to log out that character and then log back in.

Levyne

Banned
Some of the dye previewing is likely still bugged. I don't know exactly what causes it. If that's what your referring to.

Proven

Heroes of the Storm has a major update tonight and Splatoon has a new mode tomorrow night, not to mention Independence Day weekend is coming quick.

I will be away a few days, GW2 GAF.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, most of the time we just melee on top of him. The only reason we pull him down there for that one fight is because the front door behind him still works despite not being lit up or whatever. If we scoot a little too close to the door we meander out of the dungeon, happened to us exactly twice and we said never again
That's hilarious. I've done that path dozens of times and never experienced it, I feel sort of disappointed honestly.

We should use our Guild Bounty Training Missions for some kind of event before they get replaced with the new guild mission system. Maybe get several parties together to compete. First one to find and capture the target gets a reward.

I kind of wish we had more than two of them built.

Mxrz

Blah. Today I learned what happens when you finish a reward track but have every other path already complete - it resets the current one. Feh. No way I'm doing silverwaste again. Derp. Looks like Silverwaste is once only, so it reset the dry top track. I can live with that.

PvP feels a mess, but not sure how much is by design and how much is just goofy bugs. Surprised things haven't been patched yet. Feels like some minor stuff got fixed quicker than this. Oh well.

Peak Performance doesn't seem to increase rampage dmg? Tried matches with, matches without. Most hits in the 3k crit range, usually with 15+ might, both ways. Maybe Im missing something. - Nerf to shout healing hurts lots.

Ashodin

Blah. Today I learned what happens when you finish a reward track but have every other path already complete - it resets the current one. Feh. No way I'm doing silverwaste again. Derp. Looks like Silverwaste is once only, so it reset the dry top track. I can live with that.

PvP feels a mess, but not sure how much is by design and how much is just goofy bugs. Surprised things haven't been patched yet. Feels like some minor stuff got fixed quicker than this. Oh well.

Peak Performance doesn't seem to increase rampage dmg? Tried matches with, matches without. Most hits in the 3k crit range, usually with 15+ might, both ways. Maybe Im missing something. - Nerf to shout healing hurts lots.

PVP feels really bursty at the moment. All dem Engis and Guards.

You know, I think Thief spec is coming this week. Monk's Outfit, no teaser at all, consider the Thief is in stealth usually (so the teaser is "invisible").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom