• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it has been pretty laggy lately.
I noticed some worse perfromance as well. My not-that-great Internet connection is not helping either.

On more positive news, I'm enjoying my thief quite a bit. I made this alt some months ago but then left it alone. I think I'll try to level it up together with my Ele.

Anno

So I finally found a site that does the investment tracking that I've been looking for. Turns out it also does like everything else! And it's nice and lightweight and looks good. The proprietor also seems super interactive. Highly recommended if people are looking for a one-stop solution for their GW2 needs.

Wp9IYh2.png

Retro

Guild Mission Make-ups in about an hour and 10 minutes!

To be immediately followed by...

I feel like the Guild hasn't had many chances to do anything together in a large-ish group in a while. Luckliy with the update there seems to be a little bit more energy in the game recently. I can't think of a better time for something like this:

GAF Jumping Puzzle Event: Troll's Revenge
Sunday, June 28th after make-up missions (~5:00pm ET)

The new jumping puzzle in LA is quite cool and while it is an extensive trip around a good chunk of New LA, I feel like it doesn't meander as much as the silverwaste puzzle and would make a good group event. I had a lot of fun completing it with a couple of GAF and figuring out all the little details of how the puzzle leads the player through visual cues and the like.

Anyone is welcome to participate. I hope to see a lot of people there, whether you had already done the puzzle by then or not. Bring Mesmers! Because there are no real checkpoints to retry from what I could tell. I hope that we can get a lot of people through without them having to resort to following a dulfy guide by themselves or something boring like that (I see people selling ports to the portions of the puzzle, pretty lame imo).

And of course, I'm sure there will be a picture opportunity at the end, the most important part.

I hope the time works for most of you! We can shift it around if another time seems more appropriate.

Thorgal

Euro getting some US summer weather...I know a lot of people don't have AC, because you really don't need it since it usually cooler over there, Drink a ton of water and stay cool :)

already have the swimming pool installed for such an occasion. :p

work is still gonna be brutal though although my suffering will be nothing compared to those who are fastening this month.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks everyone for coming out. I had as much fun leading people through as I did learning it the first time. I hope everyone who went through with us had a good time too.

Wanderer5

Great time that was!:D Quite a annoying JP through. Too long without a checkpoint system, could get confusing near the end especially, and so many small ledges and all.

But whatever, cheers!

Ashodin

Why not just submit the old GAFguild logo from the website? I always liked that and was disappointed we couldn't wear it in-game.

Well I have more work to do and make it non-GAF looking so people can use it, but basically, the logo needs to be something other guilds would want to use.

And it can't be Guild Wars 2 related, or look like GW2 style.

that_shaman has found what the new Warrior F1 (F2?) skill does (for the elite spec)

qyA8UCE.jpg

Looks like Berserkers get the break bar!

Then someone on Reddit mentioned "What if Focus was the Warrior weapon and it was like a Brass Knuckle type deal"

It would make more sense if you were Dazed when broken. If it is just a Stun, you can Shake It Off! and there's nothing lost. But I wouldn't complain. (Or do Stun Breaks work on Daze too? I never remember the difference between the two...)

Also, Zeroth pointed out Warrior would get a Break Bar months ago.

Retro

Thanks everyone for coming out. I had as much fun leading people through as I did learning it the first time. I hope everyone who went through with us had a good time too.

That was an absolute blast, thanks for getting it organized. That may be one of my favorite JPs so far.

Levyne

Banned
That was an absolute blast, thanks for getting it organized. That may be one of my favorite JPs so far.

it was Ike's idea intially, and without his and Zeroths and apples help, it wouldn't have taken off at all. Adding in your help today despite not having done the puzzle, and it ended up going way smoother than I feared it could have. So thanks to everyone

Got my Princess! That was so much fun, hunting down all the Karkalings with friends. Took us about two hours, the hints in the Achievement panel helped a lot.

Retro

Folks in Guild Chat were asking about this, so here's my theoretical Thief Staff skills. I repeat; these are not leaked, data-mined or anything of the sort, just my personal idea;

Staff
1. Sweep / Kick / Overhead Strike - (Autoattack Chain)
> Sweep - Swing your staff (cleave).
>> Kick - Deliver a roundhouse kick (cleave).
>>> Overhead Strike - Strike your target, inflicting Vulnerability.

2. Agile Defense - Block the next incoming attack, gain quickness if you are not attacked. Can be cancelled to make an evasive leap backwards that grants Vigor to five nearby allies.

3. Spinning Strike - Spin your staff, striking up to 5 nearby enemies. If more than two enemies are struck, each additional enemy hit grants x seconds of regeneration to 5 nearby allies.

4. Vault - Use your staff to pole vault into the enemy, knocking them down. Confused enemies are also knocked backwards.

5. Concussive Blow - A violent strike to the head, dazing the target briefly and causing confusion.

1. Unsheathe - (Stealth skill)
Reveal a hidden, spring-loaded blade to hamstring your victim (Immobilize). Your next three attacks also inflict bleeding.

Again: Not real, personal speculation. Also not sure how it would fit into the new trait system since this is pretty damn old.

Ashodin

Folks in Guild Chat were asking about this, so here's my theoretical Thief Staff skills. I repeat; these are not leaked, data-mined or anything of the sort, just my personal idea;

Again: Not real, personal speculation. Also not sure how it would fit into the new trait system since this is pretty damn old.

#2 - hay you copy mace 3. the evade backwards is whoa

#3 can be done with the new staff twirlywhirl skill animation!

#4 is pole vault, yes!

nataku

If anyone is going to try the troll's revenge solo, there's a shortcut you can use to skip some things if you fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FEzvTw36Ac&ab_channel=Guildnews

Apparently you can also use a mini to skip to near key 3. If you log to character select with a mini out like in the video and then log in you'll pop in at the top of the building. I guess this glitch has been in there since feature pack 2 based on my quick googling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ylhTGyhT18&ab_channel=Guildnews

The first video still helps you skip a good chunk of stuff, lobster included, without using the glitch if you feel like it's risky or something.

Tried sPvP for the first time last evening I had a lot of fun. How do you get good though? I was overwhelmed because of the multiple targets and how they dodge and jump around all over the place. Does anyone in the GAF clan do PvP regularly? Just wondering if I can get some tips and maybe some help if and when I rejoin the clan?

Quenk

Some datamining seems to have led to discussion about The Fissure of Woe potentially being added to GW2. Can a GW veteran explain what it is and why people are excited for it?

Proven

I guess the three most important things to PvP are:

1. Know when to rotate. The basic version of this is know which of the three points you should assault or defend when you respond. Later it becomes knowing when to retreat. Final level is doing the above with coordinated teammates.

2. Know when and how to resurrect a teammate or stomp an enemy. Knowing about when it's better to cleave, remembering to apply poison, etc.

3. Know how to win a fight. This is straightforward when it comes to a 1v1, but a lot more difficult when it's a 3v3 and you've got an Elementalist constantly dropping fire fields everywhere before kiting away in water attunement, a Mesmer constantly throwing clones at you while getting ready for a huge shatter burst, and a Thief constantly jumping in to backstab before stealthing out every 4-6 seconds.

There are probably some great YouTube videos out there but I haven't watched enough How to PvP videos to recommend one. Sorry. You can do a quick search anyway (even with patches, a lot of the strategy and overall tactics they'll give will still be applicable) or ask more specific questions about the above points, or even go for some class/build specific or map specific tips.

For basic pvp tips, I would add "fight on points." Don't get caught in a skirmish in some back alley of the map.

Unless you're the guy trying to get the other team to fight in some back alley (interruption/interception). I love it when I get three or four people stuck somewhere between points.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Welp, that's it.

Today will be my last day doing taco boss. Until they find a better way to "balance" him rather than just doing the lazy "LOL DOUBLE AYCH PEES" I'm gonna skip him out.

Moondrop

Banned
Unless you're the guy trying to get the other team to fight in some back alley (interruption/interception). I love it when I get three or four people stuck somewhere between points.
I reject the premise that this strategy is better than properly rotating to and from points. Play as you like, but the original question was about how to become good at GW2's pvp.

Proven

Some datamining seems to have led to discussion about The Fissure of Woe potentially being added to GW2. Can a GW veteran explain what it is and why people are excited for it?
I just want to clarify quick that it isn't a to be released map, but an unreleased/abandoned map. It's unlikely to be released any time soon, if at all.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm sorry for having insulted you; it wasn't my intention. You directly refuted my original point about basic pvp tips with a strategy that I feel doesn't help the original question. I suppose I could've responded with a more formal explanation on why I feel that's a bad strategy but I didn't want to seem harsh- clearly I failed.

I didn't refute your point. I added a scenario in which disruption of the enemy team getting on point might be advantageous (having done it hundreds of times myself, with great success, which directly contributed to victory).

You yourself advised to not fight in the gutters, you want to fight on point. So if one person manages to get half the enemy team to fight in the gutters, not on point, that DIRECTLY supports your assertion that fighting on point is the point.

I never once claimed it superseded your point, or was a "better" strategy. Just that it exists as guerrilla tactics.

Your response: "don't listen to Miktar if you want to git good".

You're not the sole PvP'er in this guild or on this forum. Don't just instantly shoot someone down because you think you're better than them.

Levyne

Banned

It was an 8 man instance. Eventually it got to the point where a specific Hero (customizable npc allies) party set up meant that anyone could solo the place on any class, but initially it was one of the most difficult set of enemies and quests in the game. It was pretty open though, so more like a GW2 zone rather than a dungeon. Imagine something the size of, I dunno, Fireheart, only filled with way more Elite and way fewer squishy enemies. There were a handful of quest chains, doing a couple meant you could unlock things like other areas of the zone, or the forge to make the most gaudy expensive armor in the game. Completing them all successfully meant you got to open the final chest, which was kinda like a Fractal chest with a chance at unique rewards. FoW was also the only reliable place certain things dropped, like Obsidian Shards and Shadow Weapons. Failing any one of them meant you had to start over the whole place. Of course, depending on what you wanted to accomplish you didn't have to "complete the place". If you just wanted to make your armor, go in and unlock the Forge by doing those quests and nothing else. Or find the area of the zone with the easiest enemies to kill with your build and just clear that to gather Obby or whatever. Of course, being able to finish the whole place was rewarding too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom