• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a relatively unused set of Sinister gear sitting in my bank, so I decided to try it out on Arah's resident temple guard.

GW2 - Giganticus Lupicus (Sinister S/S Warrior)

I should be swapping to longbow for the longer duration stack of bleeds and the burns, but that would have put me without an Energy Sigil, so in this case, living is more important than doing extra damage.

Retro

I just wish they would take a look at the gem-store weapon sets and realize that some of them would have been way better suited as playable content.
Once again I don't mind the sets like the Dragon ones, or the Zodiac or Tempest ones, but if you take something like the Pact-Fleet ones they would have made for an awesome set to be crafted in any way (crafting/collection/MF upgrade), similar to the Ambrite weapons.

Pact weapons would have been excellent as a secondary tier of loot for the Silverwastes, but I can see why they didn't. Dry Top got the weapon set, SW got the armor. I'm okay with them alternating between the two for Living Story-based zones.

Here's hoping there's a bunch of new skins waiting in HoT.

spiritfox

Scary%2BBear.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
did the mists burn his eyes or something

I mean, going to the mists doesn't seem to have an adverse effect, you have a bunch of people going in and out there

Trey

Looks like I'm buying a new character slot. Unless the expansion comes with a couple.

edit: oh shit, they're bringing energy back as a mechanic. I also don't know how I feel about the taunt condition.

Levyne

Banned
Hammer is a ranged weapon, lol creative.

Intwresting way to involve the utilities.

Interesting new boon and also another no weapon swap class. I guess now there's one for each armor tier.

Wallach

Not sure about Taunt. It's bringing a pure Tank into the game.. but perhaps it won't be so bad. I just don't want to see LFG Revenant Only shit.

Well, all of those new effects at the end of the article are in all the specializations, not just Revenant and theirs. Still, that one will have pretty profound implications on both PvE and PvP.

Anno

I wonder if taunt is affected by stability or not. I kinda hope it isn't so there's some midway point to partially control stabilized targets while not totally ruining them. Interesting concept which I like but hope is kept relatively rare and short.

Zeroth

Glad to see Colin is expanding the mechanic he added to my account when I do duo runs to everyone.

Said experience also showed me that it's pretty unlikely taunt will be as effective as people are afraid of.

GW2 becoming WoW, thanks taunt.
Never played WoW so this will be my first exposure to a Taunt mechanic.

I doubt it'll work exactly like WoW/FFXIV's threat/hate systems. In those, every skill someone might use has a value that raises an invisible bar on nearby enemies, once that bar fills, the monster's aggro snaps to the person who filled it. So big heals, big damage, etc, all usually have big threat/hate generation. The tanks then, have skills to generate even more threat/hate, to try and snap the enemy's aggro back on them.

I see people are already negatively reacting to taunt and even going as far as to compare it to WOW. Taunt is not what defines WOW's combat, also guild war 1 had taunt as well. What defined WOW combat system was fixed roles. The lack of a classes that can stand and trade blows while being healed by another class means, guild wars 2 cannot be like WOW. And unlike in other MMORPG, it will actually work on players.

Taunt in the way it has been describe is nothing more than a reverse fear, which I say the game needed.

Moondrop

Banned
Wow, the new Resistance boon will be just as much of a meta changer as Taunting. And the Slow condition could be a big deal too. We'll have to see how these are distributed amongst the pre-existing classes. Wow.

Also I called revenants having a medium health pool. I don't think I posted my prediction that they would have no weapon swap. Then again both were relatively easy inferences.

Anno

They could have probably saved some grief by calling it something other than taunt since it's not what taunt is commonly thought of in MMOs.

Hope they don't add new runes and Sigils for the new boons/conditions.

They should update runes/sigils that no one uses to cover new boon/condition.

I feel Sigil/Rune of Taunting is going to come and will be required for optimal dungeon runs by Zeroth/Ike dungeon runs.

Anno

They specifically said the new stuff will be added to "profession specializations," so I assume it'll be relatively less common than the current condis and boons.

Levyne

Banned
resistance could be pretty broken with current bunker builds, so yea maybe just specializations not traits/utilities

I'm sure as with any large amount of added tools, someone will find a handful of gimmicky wtf-effective builds wrt the specializations that the team will have to balance after the fact. Maybe it will work differently in pvp.

I wonder if taunt is affected by stability or not. I kinda hope it isn't so there's some midway point to partially control stabilized targets while not totally ruining them. Interesting concept which I like but hope is kept relatively rare and short.
It says stun breaks counter it, so stability is probably still effective.

Jira

GW2 becoming WoW, thanks taunt.
Never played WoW so this will be my first exposure to a Taunt mechanic.

Then why would you say that if you have no exposure to how taunting works? The way Taunt will work here is a very short CC, it's not a perma stick to you and only you system.

I'm sure as with any large amount of added tools, someone will find a handful of gimmicky wtf-effective builds wrt the specializations that the team will have to balance after the fact. Maybe it will work differently in pvp.

yea I assume they'll learn from their last mistake. Didn't they nerf that wvw build that used the reduced condition duration food/runes that used to be super op on warriors or engis. I forget

They could have probably saved some grief by calling it something other than taunt since it's not what taunt is commonly thought of in MMOs.

Or the people overreacting (not surprising guild wars 2 fans are experts at that), could have read it and try to understand how it works. But I suppose creating a new word is easier than expecting people to read stuff.

They finally released some more info on Revenants, woooooooooooo! Although they were sneaky and got around having to show us their full skill set before the convention by having just a couple legends ready to play. I don't know why I didn't think of that haha I disagree, it WOULD be fun to learn it all at once, Anet! ;P I guess I'll have to wait for the crumb trail but I'm glad they've started talking about it and hopefully they'll divulge more soon. I dig the change of color/appearance based on the legend you're wielding. I was initially bummed you couldn't have all the legends (or just 4 if there's more than that) on standby since Ele's get four attunements ready to swap between but it seems as though the legends will be too powerful to allow you to freely swap between all of them on the fly.

Glad to see Colin is expanding the mechanic he added to my account when I do duo runs to everyone.

Said experience also showed me that it's pretty unlikely taunt will be as effective as people are afraid of.

Levyne takes 100% of the aggro during our Lupi duos too, so I'm pretty sure bosses must think I'm too pretty to hit.

And yes, taunting certain enemies will be your own death sentence. There are a lot of enemy autoattacks you don't want to be on the receiving end of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom