• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishious

Out of curiosity, does anyone here have learned the recipes for the Superior Sigil of Malice and the Superior Sigil of Bursting? The recipes were account bound and could only be acquired on the first queen's jubilee release, and I was wondering if I could request to make some for me. I'll pay the mats, of course.

I've got Bursting. I'd be glad to make you one once I get off work.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I wish GW2 had the kind of stories in Elder Scrolls Online. In that game I'm finding myself caring about characters or questioning decisions at a level where I actually sit and think about it. In GW2 I only ever cared about Apatia and she vanished for about half a year thanks to the devs. Other than that, and Tybalt, I find the GW2 cast and stories a bit meh. I suppose this is mostly due to the nature of dynamic events / living story vs story chains with dialogue. There's so much of the latter in ESO that while a lot is meh, every once in a while something sticks and works really well.

Retro

So it seems that heart of thorns is coming with new weapons then?

Yep, each profession is getting one new weapon type via their Elite Specializations (which also grant entirely new skills, a new trait line and change the profession's core mechanic);

Mesmer: "Chronomancer", gains shield, wells and a new "Continuum Split" Shatter ability that allows them to travel back in time (yes, really.).

Necromancer: "Reaper", gains greatsword, shouts and a new "Reaper Knight" version of Death Shroud.

Guardian: "Dragonhunter", gains longbow, traps and their Virtues become more active effects.

Elementalist: "Tempest", gains warhorn (confirmed today), not sure what else, check back Thursday.

Ranger: "Druid", gains staff (confirmed at PAX South), no other details.

Engineer: No name revealed yet, but the HoT reveal trailer showed an engineer using Hammer.

Warrior: Nothing revealed yet, no name, weapons, mechanics, nada.

Thief: Some art shows a thief wielding a staff and there's one in the data files, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Revenant: Nothing revealed yet, but datamining has revealed that it will use Glint as it's Legend and will likely use a shield.

I wish GW2 had the kind of stories in Elder Scrolls Online. In that game I'm finding myself caring about characters or questioning decisions at a level where I actually sit and think about it. In GW2 I only ever cared about Apatia and she vanished for about half a year thanks to the devs. Other than that, and Tybalt, I find the GW2 cast and stories a bit meh. I suppose this is mostly due to the nature of dynamic events / living story vs story chains with dialogue. There's so much of the latter in ESO that while a lot is meh, every once in a while something sticks and works really well.

Season 2 Spoilers: (I know we're well past the point where it should count, but we have lots of new players coming in who may want to play the story);
I wonder if a large part of that is related to the way the Living Story is told. Some things, like
Marjory and Kasmeer's relationship
, came across very well because there was a slow build up over a whole season. Other things, like
Belinda's death
, kind of didn't land right because they literally introduced a character, only for them to disappear until they needed to show up to fulfill their role. The episodic nature of the Living Story calls for the story to be written almost like a TV show, and I think the writing hasn't really reflected that yet (too many cliffhangers, too many cliffhangers that don't pay off in the next episode, etc.). There's a certain pace that needs to happen that I don't think they've found yet.

Likewise, I think the big reveal of the
Sylvari being dragon minions
was gutted because it had been speculated for so long with so many hints that I think the community embraced it as fact before the game made it so and it just didn't hit like it should have. That was their "I am your father" moment but it took so long to get there and had so many hints that everyone knew what was going to happen well in advance.

It seems likely that in HoT, with your character now speaking in the open world instead of via "Talking Torso" cutscenes and the emphasis on characters reappearing through the zones to tell a story (Laranthir, for example), I think things will get better.

Shanlei91

I'm hoping in HoT they find their story telling groove.

I just looked at Dulfy's site and the only weapon gallery missing is Warhorns.

Thief: Some art shows a thief wielding a staff and there's one in the data files, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

Staff on Thief just sounds really weird, plus I can't imagine a Thief running around with Bifrost! Personally, I'm going to say rifle.

Spyware

Sooo, the Tumblr speculation train is saying that "there is no other weapon in the Ele pic" (am I the only one seeing the "pommel" of whatever she's holding in her right hand behind her back?) and that Warhorn is a main hand weapon... when she's clearly holding it in the left hand ...which is the off-hand.

I don't know why it would be so strange for it to be just another off-hand weapon? Especially a currently rarely used one. I think they wanna make it more popular by making it something completely different from a swiftness buff.
I mean, Mesmers already got shield and the amount of skills will still be lots more than any other class anyway due to how Ele works. Bwuh. People are strange.

I just hope it will work well with dagger because I want this combo for Yri
tumblr_nrspieV9Kg1qg7wmro2_540.png
tumblr_nrspieV9Kg1qg7wmro1_540.png

Staff on Thief just sounds really weird, plus I can't imagine a Thief running around with Bifrost! Personally, I'm going to say rifle.
Sooo... what about all the Revs with Bifrost? :p I really want a melee staff for thieves. It doesn't sound that weird when you look at the bō and japanese martial arts. That would suit the thief perfectly!

Fishious

I'm hoping in HoT they find their story telling groove.

I just looked at Dulfy's site and the only weapon gallery missing is Warhorns.

Maybe Dulfy will add it eventually if Tempest Warhorn turns out to be good.

Meanwhile torch will cry in the corner because no one even noticed it was missing too.

Sooo... what about all the Revs with Bifrost? :p I really want a melee staff for thieves. It doesn't sound that weird when you look at the bō and japanese martial arts. That would suit the thief perfectly!

Personally, I think that would go better for Warrior, but it's Anet so who knows. Inb4 shield Thief.

Retro

Honestly, I'd like rifle too, I think Thief + Rifle + Gadgets as a sort of "Spy" specialization would be badass. Having said that, Thief already has a good long-range single target choice with Pistol, but doesn't have a solid two-hand melee weapon, so I can see why they'd go in that direction. Anyway, we have this bit of datamined art so I think it's likely to be staff;

Meanwhile torch will cry in the corner because no one even noticed it was missing too.

Torch seems like the best option for Warrior, though I wouldn't say no to Pistol.

EDIT:
I'm still hoping Warrior gets Kits. It would be sick. SICK!

Kit: Morning Star - Support kit with medium ranged ball-on-a-spike-chain, gives stability and vigor.
Kit: Throwing spear - Ranged dps kit - Takes inspiration from Paragon
Kit: Two-Handed Axe - tanky? I dont know how they could make this feel different from hammer and GS!
Kit: Polearm - Like Battle standard but crazy spins and medium melee range AOE. If GS is about mobility, Polearm is about the off-hand axe but with more range.
Healing Kit: some sort of gong- with skills that gives boons and heals. Like a Drum-of-war gong. Bard like!
Elite Kit: Let's revamp Battle Standard. Battle Standard is not very fun. It could be more fun, but I am willing to settle for a fun and fast and satisfying polearm weapon.

Warriors are the experts of weapons, they should have access to these novel types of weapons. I realize that these kits would give Warriors 30 new skills. That's a lot, but Warriors is great.

You a fan of Dolphins?

Sorry, I had to do it, I love you.

Basically the main reason why I'm holding off on pre-purchasing the expansion. My main gripe in the game atm is the lack of meaningful PvE content and/or endgame content. Dungeon running is a joke, Fractals are painfully easy once you've ran it for the 100th+ time, and world bosses are zerg fests.

:p Yeah I know what you mean. Lets hope for the best! Ganbare!

There is some shockingly good stories in SWTOR. It's a very gratifying experience to play those. Particularly if you enjoyed the old KOTOR games.

But I wonder if maybe what ArenaNet should try, is just to go with the illustration method? By doing cut scenes with a narrated voice and showing "living illustrated art slides" you can remove that pool of the resources that goes on rigging, planning, using a 3d cinematics team full of scripted and animated sequences. Really time consuming - And the end product never ends up looking that good. Because they dont have the tools, resources or time. Why not take those money - And hire a class A writer like this guy ( http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp ) and let the art team do their magic?

Max Payne 1 and 2 told some of the best stories in gaming that way. I think this approach would lead itself much better to phasing out a lot more detailed and impressive story. And it will help invoke that D&D thing they where going for.

In fact I would say, that this is the best way to do it. A great script, a great story, and a great set of writers who can do the dialogue. They can take it further.

And some people might say; "narration is a fu**ing cop-out", but you know what - If it works. We could have cinematic book-type description and character development like based like this.
And finally, ArenaNet more than anything is known for their art.

I would suggest them to remove player-voiced character. It takes me out of it, when the game tries to decide how my character is sounding. I would do it "a silent band of heroes type thing". It would also be easier to do. And the easier it is, the better are the odds of making more compelling story, and more story that actually branches.

We even saw some really promising art-trailer using some new tech they developed for this trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDuywIXgQm8 < Which is already over kill for what I am thinking about.

They could do a whole new personal story, and retire the old one. Make a new non-instanced personal story, that doesn't take you into instances. Write a new more non-conventional progression. Would be cool. A post-Destiny's Edge story.

Ashodin

Yeah Warrior is literally the only class we have no idea what their weapon is. Considering we don't have any datamines for it, I'm actually thinking it might be kits.

The only thing we have to go on is the torch skin that was datamined.

Shanlei91

There is some shockingly good stories in SWTOR. It's a very gratifying experience to play those. Particularly if you enjoyed the old KOTOR games.

I heard that the quality of the story depends on the class and faction. Imperial Agent has the best I recall? I've been meaning to play the game - I've actually been dragged to a few of the game's Cantina Events where they serve free booze and food, yet never played.

I like the idea of the artwork cutscenes instead of floating torsos and in-game cinematics. But I kind of think the writing has never really been a strong point of the Guild Wars franchise where as ESO and SWTOR probably had writers who worked on the single player franchises chip in to help.

toot :(

all i asked was a main weapon.

they gave me a fucking vuvuzela.

Anet hates elementalists /cry

We still have Frost Bow! Remember when we all thought it would be nerfed? What a scare.

it's crazy to think though. its still 8 skills. I wonder what the mechanic of tempest will be. It would be really nice if it would use the new tech with being able to zip-zap to different enemies without the camera moving. that could have a lot of synergy with dagger-dagger for example!

Proven

toot :(

all i asked was a main weapon.

they gave me a fucking vuvuzela.

Anet hates elementalists /cry

ANet aimed this at me. Warhorn is my most used weapon across all professions; Everyone that can use one currently uses one with the exception of Ranger, but then I use the trait that casts a warhorn skill on pet swap.

Today is the first time there has ever been a Daily Scale 31-40 Fractal achievement.

How about some regular dungeon dailies? How many people really even bother to get enough agony resistance to do fractals that high? I would think it is a smaller portion of the population than those who do almost anything else in the game.

Zeroth

Today is the first time there has ever been a Daily Scale 31-40 Fractal achievement.

How about some regular dungeon dailies? How many people really even bother to get enough agony resistance to do fractals that high? I would think it is a smaller portion of the population than those who do almost anything else in the game.

Should just scrap the concept of rewarding tiers and reward doing a full fractal run (removing the current daily fractal) and push some "do 2 dungeon paths" dailies.

Elfstruck

Finally hit 52! So much fun exploring and leveling up :D. But I seriously hate finding vistas. Anyway, should I do dungeons such as AC, TM, TA now or later?

Finally hit 52! So much fun exploring and leveling up :D. But I seriously hate finding vistas. Anyway, should I do dungeons such as AC, TM, TA now or later?

Should start with AC, also next week the guild is having an AC event, good time to learn it, CM not TM is rough dungeon for low levels mobs hit you like you owe them money even for level 80's, but it's a very easy dungeon with a Thief who knows what they are doing...TA is easier than CM IMO...also Pugs are a-holes gonna see a lot of 80's only, might want to ask in guild chat..

Really great to hear you're having so much fun :3 We're doing a dungeon event on Sunday after guild missions, you should come out if you're able to. No experience required, but you should install Mumble even if you don't have a mic so you can listen while we go through it together.

Finding decent dungeon groups on LFG if you're inexperienced and less than level 80 can be tough. For now, I would stick with guildies willing to teach to avoid spoiling the experience. CM is probably the hardest out of the 3 that you listed (basically requires a competent thief for a run that isn't way longer than it needs to be - so many trash mobs) but they're all pretty easy if you have a group that knows what they're doing.

Should just scrap the concept of rewarding tiers and reward doing a full fractal run (removing the current daily fractal) and push some "do 2 dungeon paths" dailies.

daily arah pls

So I kinda clicked on this thread on a whim last night and I didn't expect to come away from the OP wanting to play the game, but I did. My question to you guys is should I jump in now or wait for the influx of new players with the release of the expansion?

Retro

So I kinda clicked on this thread on a whim last night and I didn't expect to come away from the OP wanting to play the game, but I did. My question to you guys is should I jump in now or wait for the influx of new players with the release of the expansion?

Honestly, with the Megaserver system, it doesn't really matter that much because the game is putting you in the most populated version of each map it can; a bunch of new players just means a bunch of copies of each map will be populated, that's all. When I take my alts to various maps I still see plenty of people and the guild itself is only slightly quieter than usual (which is to be expected, pre-expansion is always quiet).

If you pick up the game now, that's a month or two (at least, no release date on the expansion yet) to get your bearings, try a few different professions, build up a little money and materials, etc. before the expansion craziness happens and there's a dozen new things to learn.

A third week with no new gem store items or sales? Is something going on at Anet? I've played the game a long while and never saw a gap in gem store new items / sales like this before.

It will never be too early/late to start, so if you're interested in it now you might as well give it a try. There's an expansion coming out at some point (no release date announced yet) and prepurchase is already available, so if you buy a copy from guildwars2.com you get the base game "for free" and the expansion whenever it comes out.

Ashodin

A third week with no new gem store items or sales? Is something going on at Anet? I've played the game a long while and never saw a gap in gem store new items / sales like this before.

I for one am flabbergasted I can keep saving my money this week rather than spend it haphazardly

Honestly, with the Megaserver system, it doesn't really matter that much because the game is putting you in the most populated version of each map it can; a bunch of new players just means a bunch of copies of each map will be populated, that's all. When I take my alts to various maps I still see plenty of people and the guild itself is only slightly quieter than usual (which is to be expected, pre-expansion is always quiet).

If you pick up the game now, that's a month or two (at least, no release date on the expansion yet) to get your bearings, try a few different professions, build up a little money and materials, etc. before the expansion craziness happens and there's a dozen new things to learn.

It will never be too early/late to start, so if you're interested in it now you might as well give it a try. There's an expansion coming out at some point (no release date announced yet) and prepurchase is already available, so if you buy a copy from guildwars2.com you get the base game "for free" and the expansion whenever it comes out.

Thanks for the input guys. Is prepurchasing the expansion the only way to get the core game? Not really seeing where to buy it on the site. I'll probably give a little more thought to it this week before buying, but maybe I'll see you guys soon!

Fishious

Thanks for the input guys. Is prepurchasing the expansion the only way to get the core game? Not really seeing where to buy it on the site. I'll probably give a little more thought to it this week before buying, but maybe I'll see you guys soon!

You can still get boxed copies of the core game off amazon and it's available digitally on sites like Greenman gaming, but I don't think the price difference is enough. Better to just get the expansion. Previously Arenanet had sales on their site at $10 for the core game, but I doubt we'll be seeing that come back with the expansion on the way. I believe they're trying to phase out the core version and their plan is to include the core + previous expansions for free with each new expansion going forward.

Yeah, the only way to purchase the game (directly from Arenanet, not through a third party) is by prepurchasing the expansion. You're paying for the expansion but you get the core game included. They don't give an option for just the core game anymore :<

Levyne

Banned
For some reason I saw the bone wall during the whole teq fight today

pretty sure I'm just going crazy. Retro couldn't see it

Proven

It's likely that the Utility skills will do something that compliments the Warhorn

I guess they chose symbols as each symbol could correspond with an element, with the elite being Symbol of the Tempest. It would likely mean that the Symbols are radically different (of course) and probably each have their own elemental field while also having their own odd effect, similar to how the Revenant has a lightning field that gives stability. There's also the possibility that they all share a single field type and are only differentiated by their effects, but as there's no one elemental field that corresponds to the elementalist, that would be unlikely. Also, I would like more lightning fields that are not Static Field. Wait a second... since it's the Tempest, what if every symbol is a lightning field!?

Info on lightning fields: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Lightning_field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom