• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Top of the page, quoting for visibility;
ASCALONIAN CATACOMBS: STORY PATH AND EXPLORABLE PATHS 1/2/3

SUNDAY JULY 26, DIRECTLY FOLLOWING GUILD MAKE-UP MISSIONS (~4:30 PM EDT)

We will do another dungeon (mini-)event next weekend, with multiple parties, the same way we did Arah. Not anything difficult this time, just something to get our GAFGuild friends playing together in dungeons. Most people know these paths really well, so we may try to come up with something interesting (like a special theme to the runs) to liven things up, and I'll hopefully come up with some kind of rewards or hold a raffle for people who participate to sweeten the deal.

If people keep coming, we'll keep trying to organize these, and we'll work our way through all of the paths eventually, week by week. If you've never done dungeons for whatever reason, we encourage you to use these opportunities to join in! If you know anyone who hasn't done dungeons, please invite them to come too! We will more than gladly show everyone around and teach them everything we know. (And even if you've done these paths a hundred times, you should come too! Your guild will be happy to see you.)

*I know a few people mentioned needing Twilight Arbor's Aetherpath, so we'll save that one for a few weeks from now, and we'll make a bigger deal out of it, much like the Arah 4 run was. It will definitely need a day dedicated to itself.
The Reaper looks visually amazing (Reaper form), so for Tirzah Bauer to say that her in her tweet. I hope for some really cool animations. It will be exciting.

Not just animations, but seeing something in action is a lot better than trying to understand it through a sloppy second-hand retelling of what was probably pre-recorded video at best. I'm honestly not sure of anything until I play it, but getting to see it played is a much better indicator.

Also @ Am I the only that enjoys shouts? I don't think I will be a tempest, but I can see myself running with the shouts D/D. I almost never play my ele though!

I've been running a shout warrior for ages now and I don't think I'll ever give it up. I have a second warrior anyways if I want to do something different.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
requiring 80gb minimum for a 32gb patch is too much

speaking of which I forgot but how did GW2 handle memory space and patching? do they warn users?

Tempest blog post is up https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-tempest/

Meet the Tempest: Elementalist’s Elite Specialization
by Karl McLain on July 23, 2015

11bccWarhorn-Skill-Electric-590x331.jpg

Welcome back, friends, for the next reveal! I’m Karl McLain, and this week we’re here to talk about the new elite specialization for the elementalist. With the coming of fierce enemies and Elder Dragons, you’ll reach deep into the elements in order to harness some of the most pure and dangerous aspects of natural magic and even infuse them into sound. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ will see the dawn of the tempest, a close-range specialization capable of blasting out damage and support as they charge into the fight against evil.

Pushing the Limit
While the elementalist has mastered the elements of fire, water, air, and earth, the tempest looks to extend the boundaries. With the design of this elite specialization, we’re aiming to add a more direct frontline support option that rewards precise positioning and the ability to turn a fight with sound decision making and deft blows.
Remaining attuned to an element for a period of time will now allow you the option to overload that attunement for a short while. Once you’ve attained a singularity with the attunement, you can reactivate it to perform a special channeled ability. These abilities are so chaotic and draining that they exhaust your current attunement, locking you out of it for a period of time should you move to another element. Before you ask, yes, the Fresh Air trait will refresh your exhausted air attunement and allow you to overload it much sooner.

dd6f5Utility-Eye-of-the-Storm-590x331.jpg

Harness the Elements!
Each attunement will obtain its own overload ability, and here’s how they’ll work:

• Overload Fire: Allow flames to leak out from your essence, building an infernal tornado over time that continuously damages and burns enemies while granting allies might. Successfully completing the ability leaves the tornado at your current location for a period of time.
  • Overload Water: Pull water into an aquatic bubble around you as you regenerate and cleanse conditions from yourself and nearby allies. At the end of the ability, your water bubble pops to give a larger heal to nearby allies.
  • Overload Air: Become a conduit of electricity, creating a nimbus cloud above you that repeatedly strikes nearby enemies, rending their armor. Successfully completing this ability leaves a lightning field at your location that strikes enemies in its vicinity.
  • Overload Earth: Rend the earth, bend it to your will, and take a ride on it, granting protection to nearby allies and crippling enemies. When you return to earth, deliver a tremendous immobilizing blast.

The Sound of Power
Specializing as a tempest will allow you to use eight new abilities as you wield their newest weapon—the warhorn. These abilities will assist in helping you both support your allies and create disruptive areas for enemies. While in water attunement, you’ll be able to unleash a moving water field that heals allies. Air attunement’s cyclone will pull enemies to a point, while its lightning orb will fire projectiles at all enemies within its path. Along with these and other skills, using a warhorn will also unlock the elementalist’s latent potential to share boons and extend their durations among allies.

ed178Glamour-Warhorn-590x331.jpg

Let Your Voice Be Heard!
With newfound abilities in audio mastery, you’ll gain the ability to use shout skills as utilities. Here’s the list of healing, utility, and elite skills you’ll have access to as a tempest:

Healing:
  • “Wash the Pain Away!”: Heal allies, and cleanse conditions from them. This healing skill is a bit more unique, as it heals allies for the same amount that you are healed for outside of the initial healing when activating the skill.
Utility:
  • “Feel the Burn!”: Sear your voice into the ground and cause continually growing flames to emit from that location.
  • “Eye of the Storm!”: Call the storm down on yourself and nearby allies, breaking stun on anyone affected and granting them superspeed for a time.
  • “Aftershock!”: Emanate a powerful earthen force around yourself, crippling enemies. After a short delay, an aftershock ripples forth, immobilizing enemies in its wake.
  • “Flash Freeze!”: Command the air around your foes to cool and harden, damaging and chilling your foes for a period of time.
Elite:
  • “Rebound!”: This is the only arcane aspect available to the tempest. Using this arcane shout will affect allies in the area around you, causing the next ability they use to have a 25% reduced recharge.
e5421Glamour-Shoulder-590x331.jpg

Bolstering the Tempest
The elite specialization’s traits will have multiple options to promote defense, support, and overloading your attunements. Let’s delve a little into the tempest’s minor traits and a couple of major traits you’ll see.
  • Minor Trait One—Singularity: This minor trait unlocks the ability to overload your attunements. You’ll see multiple traits that beef up your overload abilities, such as Unstable Conduit, which grants an aura specific to your attunement when you successfully complete an overload ability.
  • Minor Trait Two—Speedy Conduit: You’ll gain swiftness while overloading an attunement, allowing you to move more easily around the battlefield. You can enhance this movement by equipping the Lucid Singularity trait, which cleanses and then reduces the duration of incoming inhibiting conditions by 100%.
  • Minor Trait Three—Hardy Conduit: Gain protection when beginning an overload ability. In order to use these channeling skills for damage and support, you’ll occasionally need to soak up a little extra damage yourself. If you so choose, this trait can be bolstered by a specific major trait in the line called Earthen Proxy. The effects of protection on you will be increased from 33% to 40% damage reduction.

Elementalists, you are called upon to unleash the inferno, drive the uncontrollable torrents, rain hell and lightning upon your foes, and harness the earth and ride it into victory. The tempest cannot be stopped; your enemies cannot endure. Press forward!

Elfstruck

Do em whenever you want, dungeons are always a fun time.

Should start with AC, also next week the guild is having an AC event, good time to learn it, CM not TM is rough dungeon for low levels mobs hit you like you owe them money even for level 80's, but it's a very easy dungeon with a Thief who knows what they are doing...TA is easier than CM IMO...also Pugs are a-holes gonna see a lot of 80's only, might want to ask in guild chat..

Really great to hear you're having so much fun :3 We're doing a dungeon event on Sunday after guild missions, you should come out if you're able to. No experience required, but you should install Mumble even if you don't have a mic so you can listen while we go through it together.

Finding decent dungeon groups on LFG if you're inexperienced and less than level 80 can be tough. For now, I would stick with guildies willing to teach to avoid spoiling the experience. CM is probably the hardest out of the 3 that you listed (basically requires a competent thief for a run that isn't way longer than it needs to be - so many trash mobs) but they're all pretty easy if you have a group that knows what they're doing.

Thanks guys!

Did tequatl last night and it was hilarious lol. Anyway, whats the best way to gain achievement point? I want that zenith avenger skin :p

Did tequatl last night and it was hilarious lol. Anyway, whats the best way to gain achievement point? I want that zenith avenger skin :p

Doing the daily every day is a good place to start. You could do some jumping puzzles too, those are worth 10 AP each the first time you do each one.

Don't farm AP like a crazy person though, the first skin you get is kinda neat and exciting but after that it will feel like a chore

Proven

Two things I forgot to mention yesterday:

1. The overload mechanic is reminiscent of the GW1 Ele's ability to exhaust themselves by using too powerful magic.

2. The overload abilities give you an effect while they're channeling, so you get something even if you're interrupted part way through. The cooldown looks to be the same whether or not you get Power Blocked too. The channel skills take a few seconds but generally 3-5. If Necros can still exist in PvP I think it'll be fine. And even if you don't use those skills you still have new weapon and utility skills.

☆ THIS WEEK'S EVENT - SUNDAY JULY 26 ☆

Event #1 - Ascalonian Catacombs
Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

Required Character Level: 35
Required Zone: Plains of Ashford

Bonus Challenge Hints:
  • Possible Event During Explorable Path 1 (1g reward for a single player)
  • Possible Event During Explorable Path 3 (1g reward for a single player in each party)
  • Possible Event During All Explorable Paths (1g reward for all party members of a single party)

All dungeon runs will take place after the completion of Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions (~4:30 PM EDT). Events should be expected to take no longer than two hours.

These events are intended to be rather casual, and they will be very new-player friendly. Players of every experience level are encouraged to participate, so please invite anyone who you think would like to join.

For each full party that completes a given week's dungeon run, five gold will be added to a raffle from which one participant's name will be drawn. So if five parties complete the event, you have a chance at winning an extra twenty-five gold! The more people who show up, the more money you can win!

We will be thinking of small bonus challenges each week to announce randomly during the events, which will award more prizes, so be ready for those too!

☆ CURRENT EVENT SCHEDULE ☆

#1 - July 26 - Ascalonian Catacombs

#2 - August 2 - Caudecus's Manor

#3 - August 9 - Twilight Arbor
Story Path and Forward/Up Explorable Paths

#4 - August 16 - Twilight Arbor
Aetherblade Explorable Path

#5 - August 23 - Sorrow's Embrace

August 30 - PAX Prime
*BYE WEEK*

#6 - September 6 - Citadel of Flame

#7 - September 13 - Honor of the Waves

#8 - September 20 - Crucible of Eternity

#9 - September 27 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 1/2

#10 - October 4 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 3/4​

*DATES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL THE WEEK OF THE EVENT AND MAY BE RESCHEDULED IN CASES OF UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES*

☆ DUNGEON MASTER CHALLENGE ☆

Any guild members able to provide screenshots of themselves each week, standing beside me outside of the dungeon's entrance, will be eligible for an even split of an extra two hundred gold prize! You must attend all paths to be eligible! The fewer people who complete this challenge the more valuable your dedication and hard work becomes, so don't give up!

Anyone wishing to attempt this challenge must post here before Sunday, July 26, so I will know to keep an eye on you each week going forward.

In the potential case that no one was able to show up for all of the paths, a reduced reward will be given to the guild member(s) who managed to attend the most weeks. So it's still worth giving it a try, even if you know you'll miss some weeks!​

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi all o/

Tempest seems like perhaps the least inventive/unique of the Elites so far (it's just "superelementalist," right?) but it seems like it'll be a crazy blast to actually play.

Edit: Ike, this dungeoneering you've undertaken sounds awwwwesome. Way to go. I'd love to participate when I'm around (might be August 2!)

Callunah

Neo Member
I really want to do this! Just need to decide which account!

All dungeon runs will take place after Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions. (~4:30 PM EDT)

Anyone wishing to attempt this challenge must post here before Sunday so I will know to keep an eye on you each week going forward.

I'll try to do this but I'm pretty sure work or other stuff will come up for me.

In the case that no one was able to show up for all of the paths, a reduced reward will be given to the guild member(s) who managed to complete the most paths. So it's still worth trying even if you miss a week!

Ashodin

So that just leaves the abysmal and unresponsive combat and the tell don't show story and lore. Yay?
Huh? I don't have problems murdering NPCs in the game. The story is serviceable. Actually turned on its head for usual fantasy in the faction I'm in; the elves want to be inclusive of all races instead of racist and isolationist. You fight against a faction trying to uphold those values.

xeris

Huh? I don't have problems murdering NPCs in the game. The story is serviceable. Actually turned on its head for usual fantasy in the faction I'm in; the elves want to be inclusive of all races instead of racist and isolationist. You fight against a faction trying to uphold those values.

Didn't say it was hard. It's just deadly dull with no sense that you're doing anything other than waving your weapon around vaguely in the direction of the mob. Beta was much worse, but even after some fixes it's still probably the worst feeling MMO combat out there.

Quenk

In the case that no one was able to show up for all of the paths, a reduced reward will be given to the guild member(s) who managed to complete the most paths. So it's still worth trying even if you miss a week!

Cool. I'll definitely try for it. I'm sure the extra themes people come up with for some of the easier paths will be fun.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
So that just leaves the abysmal and unresponsive combat and the tell don't show story and lore. Yay?

I dunno, maybe I'm easily impressed but I really enjoy the combat, but only with the Nightblade. I find teleporting around a group of enemies wacking away to be stupid fun.

Although I find the main story pretty dull, some of the side quests are done really well, pretty much any that involve a player decision to be made. My favorite being an early one in the Daggerfall area where the sea captain who rescues you at the start of the game asks for your help in pulling off a heist. The clincher for me was the morally ambiguous decision at the end of the hours long quest line and I was surprised that when all was said and done I disappointed all the NPCs except the one I really liked. Even more surprising was when he showed up later in a completely different quest line. I just don't expect that in an MMO. Again, I'm easily impressed.

Only save food items for the recipes you have. Done!

I rather pump all my finances into expanding my inventory space! #hoarder

DUNGEON MASTER CHALLENGE
Any guild members able to provide screenshots of themselves each week, standing beside me outside of the dungeon's entrance, will be eligible for an even split of an extra two hundred gold prize! You must attend all paths to be eligible! The fewer people who complete this challenge the more valuable your hard work becomes! Don't give up!

I wonder if I can use this as a valid reason to cancel a brunch date.

Retro

ANET should have videos of all these skills as they did for the professions when they were announced.

Yeah, for some reason there wasn't a video accompanying this blog post. Probably because the stream is tomorrow where we get to see it in action.

Do the TenTonHammer guys just copy paste?

Yep. What I thought was sloppiness turned out to just be laziness.

All dungeon runs

There is nothing I don't love about all of this.

Quenk

Speaking of dungeons, here's a fun fact: doing every path will award you at least 47g59s

Also, vC just posted a new record for CoF p3. It's now faster than p1

Spyware

All dungeon runs will take place after Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions. (~4:30 PM EDT)
Oh gawd this sounds so awesome. I've never done anything other than 2 story dungeons and one AC path and it's bothering me so much to have missed out on all this content.
I'm wanna try and say that we'll show up, Cresc and I, even tho my health is wonky. If we suddenly don't you know the reason. Is that okay?

Oh gawd this sounds so awesome. I've never done anything other than 2 story dungeons and one AC path and it's bothering me so much to have missed out on all this content.
I'm wanna try and say that we'll show up, Cresc and I, even tho my health is wonky. If we suddenly don't you know the reason. Is that okay?

Of course! If there are any paths you two end up missing and still want to do later, let me know and I will assemble a team posthaste to make sure you get a chance to see them.

Zeroth

Of course it is :) We would love to have you guys with us!

Edit: necro'd

Proven

I'm going to be out Sunday afternoon, but if I get back home in time I'll definitely be in. I need to do a bunch of story paths eventually for their PvP reward tracks to boot.

Sonicbug

I'm going to try to get in on this dungeon run thing. I've never bothered with any of them. I'd like to at least do a few of them. Which is better or worse to run with, my necro or my ranger?

Quenk

I'm going to try to get in on this dungeon run thing. I've never bothered with any of them. I'd like to at least do a few of them. Which is better or worse to run with, my necro or my ranger?

Which is better to run with? Whichever you're more comfortable with. These runs are for fun :D

Ashodin

Tomorrow is the FLASHBANG GRENADE known as the TEMPEST STREAM BABEH

You better be there, they said the class was flashy, and I want us there to call 'em out on it.

Thorgal

Hmm if the rumors are to be believed. Then yb is getting a large influx of T1 guilds trying to get YB up to T1.

Still I highly doubt they will manage to break the impasse.

Wanderer5

Hmm if the rumors are to be believed. Then yb is getting a large influx of T1 guilds trying to get YB up to T1.

Still I highly doubt they will manage to break the impasse.

It not rumors anymore, it really happening. This is going to be rough for tier 2. I just worry that Blackgate will still be a massive tier 1 server even with the guilds moving on to YB, when it dips into tier 2, unless the plan is to reach out to FA and SoS too afterward to help balance things out a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom