• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

For anyone who is worried Elementalist Elite is gonna blow (lol, sorry);
k3aCiYo.jpg
Two more days. Exciting times we live in.

More like Pungeon Master

I deserve that.

Ashodin

THat's the tweet that basically have people thinking about Symbols being confirmed as an Ele thing

Being the Symbol Guardian master in the guild, I can tell you that Symbols are the bomb diggity and I'm glad another profession is seeing the light

Trey

Question to people who play that weird profession, what exactly do symbols do? What are their gameplay implication?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I finally played my ranger in specialization era...

Holy fuck it's bugged and weak! Healing Spring is now a trap that doesn't really heal your pet and doesn't give instant water fields, spirits don't walk with you anymore, and certain shouts aren't even instant!

Feels like signet + shout is much viable now than with pokemons (spirits).

Ashodin

They're wells in a different name.

Basically. Guardian Symbols do beneficial effects, whereas Wells are condition founts.

Ah, and Wells are targeted utilities, whereas Guardian Symbols are a result of Weapon skills.

So I wonder if they'll be Wells or Symbols then?

spiritfox

Basically. Guardian Symbols do beneficial effects, whereas Wells are condition founts.

Ah, and Wells are targeted utilities, whereas Guardian Symbols are a result of Weapon skills.

So I wonder if they'll be Wells or Symbols then?

There are weapon-based wells too so it's not that different, but yeah symbols are more buff focused and wells are condi focused. I expect them to be utilities on Tempest, and non combo-based aoe buffs are something Eles are lacking (unless you're running auramancer, but that is not popular).

Morokh

Is there anything I can try to do to improve my ping with the game ? I'm closer to 250-300 these days which isn't very fun.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Lag-March-2015/page/13#post5306897

I put together a fix for a pretty nasty performance issue on our game servers. This should make it into our next release so I’d be curious to see if it makes a noticeable improvement. The bug looks like it was introduced around when this thread popped up.

I also got a couple client improvements that should help reduce framerate hitching with lower-mid range video cards and/or higher shader settings. Coming next release, too.

-Bill

We might be getting noticeable game performance improvements? This is exciting.

JYVtROj.jpg

Thanks to Apple, Ike, Levyne and Zeroth for taking the time to do Arah1 and CoF3, the last two paths I needed.

You're welcome! I kind of wish people would ask us to run uncommon paths like that more often.

Retro

Guild Wars 2: The Tempest Revealed
Today ArenaNet have allowed us to reveal the next elite specialization for Guild Wars 2: The Tempest. Elementalists should prepare themselves to harness the sound of power.

If there was ever a live stream that you would want to watch, it would undoubtedly be this week's Guild Wars 2 elite specialization reveal for the elementalist. The tempest is ArenaNet's fourth reveal and arguably, the most visually spectacular so far. Utilising a warhorn, the tempest will harness the elements and infuse them in order to deal damage as well as support allies. Although the principals of the elementalist's play will remain largly intact, the tempest pushes the boundaries of attunement to their furthest reaches and as such, the elite specialization is not only attempting to add front-line support (as opposed to staff) but a gameplay style that rewards positioning.

The core mechanic for the tempest allows the specialization to overload their attunements. After a period of time remaining in one attunement, players will be able to reactivate it to perform a special channeled ability. Karl McLain, who previously detailed the dragonhunter, states that "these abilities are so chaotic and draining that they exhaust your current attunement, locking you out of it for a period of time should you move to another element. Before you ask, yes, the Fresh Air trait will refresh your exhausted air attunement and allow you to overload it much sooner."

Warhorn%20Skill%20%28Fire%29.jpg

In total there are four overload abilities with all of them offering a variety of utility and damage.

Overload Fire: The tempest builds an infernal tornado over time that continuously damages and burns enemies while granting allies might. Completing the ability leaves the tornado at the tempest's current location for a period of time.

Overload Water: The tempest pulls water into an aquatic bubble that allows them to regenerate and cleanse conditions from yourself and nearby allies. At the end of the ability, the water bubble will pop and provide a large heal to allies in the area.

F%20Ability%20%28Fire%29.jpg

Fire Attunement Overload

Overload Air: The tempest creates a nimbus cloud above themselves that repeatedly strikes nearby enemies. Successfully completing the ability leaves a lightning field at their location that strikes enemies in its vicinity.

Overload Earth: The tempest will rend the earth and bend it to their will, taking a ride on it and granting protection to nearby allies and crippling enemies. When they return to earth they'll deliver a tremendous immobilizing blast.

Besides the overload skills and as previously mentioned, the tempest also gains access to a warhorn. Although it's perhaps not what some were expecting, the warhorn is thematically fitting and has allowed ArenaNet to design a set of eight skills that are visually striking. Perhaps some of the community reaction to the prospect of a warhorn is based solely on the typical "wail" that emits from them. Fortunately, that's not going to be the case here as the tempest will have access to boon sharing and will be able to unleash a variety of skills (see images below). One particular skill when using air attunement allows the tempest to create a cyclone that will pull enemies to a point, while its lightning orb will fire projectiles at enemies in its path.

F1%20Fire%20Overload.jpg

Tempest Shouts
Alongside the warhorn the tempest will also gain access to a full set of shouts. In total there are six, including one heal, four utility and one elite.

Healing
  • Wash the Pain Away! - Heals allies and cleanses conditions from them. Unlike traditional healing skills, Wash the Pain Away! heals allies for the same amount that you are healed for, outside of the initial healing when activating the skill.

Utility
  • Feel the Burn! - The tempest sears their voice into the ground and causes growing flames to emit from that location.
  • Eye of the Storm! - The tempest will call the storm down on nearby allies and himself, breaking stun on anyone affected while granting superspeed.
  • Aftershock! - Creates a powerful earthen force around the tempest, crippling those effected. After a short delay, an aftershock immobilizes enemies.
  • Freeze! - Causes the air around enemies to cool and harden, damaging and chilling them for a period of time.
Elite
  • Rebound! - As the only arcane skill available to the tempest, this shout affects all allies around you and causes their next ability to have a 25% reduced recharge.
Utility%20%28Eye%20of%20the%20Storm%29.jpg

Eye of the Storm! (Utility)

Tempest Traits
Finally, when it comes to traits, there's no surprise that the tempest offers defence, support and a focus on overloading your attunements. Here are three minor traits that we know of:

• Singularity - Similarly to all elite specializations, this minor trait provides the unique mechanic for the tempest and unlocks the ability to overload your attunements.
  • Hardy Conduit - Grants protection when the tempest begins to overload their attunement. This trait can also be bolstered by a specific major trait icalled Earthen Proxy. The effects of protection on you will be increased from 33% to 40% damage reduction.
  • Speedy Conduit - You gain 33% bonus movement speed when overloading an attunement. Similarly to Earthen Proxy, you can also enhance this trait by equipping the Lucid Singularity trait, which heals you every second and reduces the duration of incoming inhibiting conditions by 100%

Now that you've digested some of the above, I suspect you're probably eager to see and learn more about the tempest. I managed to steal a few minutes of Karl's time below to ask him some questions on the tempest, found below. Please note that fans will be able to watch ArenaNet demonstrate the sound and fury of the elementalist’s elite specialization, the tempest, on the livestream show Points of Interest this Friday at 12 p.m. PT on the Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2. Host Rubi Bayer will be joined by ArenaNet Game Designer Karl McLain as he demos new skills and abilities associated with the warhorn for the elementalist’s elite specialization. Some of the skills Karl will show off include Eye of the Storm and the Overload Fire ability.

Ten Ton Hammer: How long does it typically take to overload an attunement and is each attunement overload time the same?

Karl: Currently, it takes anywhere from 2.75 seconds to 5 seconds to fully complete an overload ability. Each overload has a specific thing that they do while channeling (damage, control, support), and an additional effect at the end of the ability. An example of this is that you’ll overload your water attunement to rapidly heal and cleanse conditions from your allies for 2.75 seconds, then burst water outward for a large heal and area-effect regeneration.

Utility%20%28Feel%20the%20Burn%29.jpg

Feel the Burn (Utility)

Ten Ton Hammer: Once you’ve used an overload skill, how long is the cooldown before you can use it again and is there an interruptible cast time when overloading an attunement?

Karl: Being as these abilities are so powerful and exhausting, overloading an attunement has a 20-second recharge and will set that attunement on the same recharge, 15 seconds if you have the trait “Harmonious Conduit” equipped. Being interrupted will set everything on full cooldown, so make sure you’re in an opportunistic position when using them! An exception to this is Earth attunement, in which you’re given a break-bar that will eat a few control-skills before you’re interrupted.

Ten Ton Hammer: The use of the warhorn is likely a surprise to many. Why do you think people should be excited about this weapon set over others?

Karl: Warhorn’s going to give elementalists eight new abilities (based on attunement) and provide a much more control-oriented option for them. Where daggers are offensive and focus is more defensive, you’ll see the warhorn gain more area control and group support via fields and wide-range skills, while being less self-defensive or single-target offensive.

Elite%20Skill_0.jpg

Ten Ton Hammer: Could you provide us with a greater example of one of the Warhorns skills?

Karl: Visually, Wildfire is probably one of the more iconic abilities for the warhorn. While in fire attunement, you’ll spread flames forward, providing allies with a constantly growing fire field that applies continuous damage and burning to enemies for a long period of time. While in Water, you’ll fire out a regenerative moving water field that you can follow up and blast on top of to heal allies even further.

Ten Ton Hammer: How do you envisage the Tempest will be played and what role is it fulfilling? Is it similar to Dagger/Dagger or a mix of Dagger/Staff playstyles?

Karl: The tempest is envisioned as a close-to-mid range combat style. You’re encouraged to be up with your front-line with area denial abilities, controlling enemies and healing allies, while overloading attunements to maintain pressure against enemies who dare venture near. The tempest synergizes well with dagger main-hand and has a variety of support to some builds already available to the elementalist, while being open enough to assist in its own unique playstyle. With shouts coming into play, you’ll be offered a fairly unique ability to break stun for allies as well.

Glamour%20-%20Shoulder.jpg

Ten Ton Hammer: Finally, can you provide us with an example of a skill combination that the Tempest uses that’s particularly effective?

Karl: With a dagger/warhorn setup, you can lay down either Wildfire or Water Orb, then blast it for beneficial effects. Afterward, use Tidal Surge and switch to Earth. If Tidal Surge hits, immediately use Shock and Aftershock to immobilize while immediately using Magnetic Grasp, to extend immobilize duration on a single enemy. From there, use Dust Storm to begin constantly blinding enemies in the area (and your immobilized target). I’d follow up with a Ring of Earth for good measure, look to Wash the Pain Away for allies that might be injured, then begin overloading your earth attunement, as it will apply constant protection to allies while crippling then immobilizing nearby enemies. Blast out your Sand Squall to extend the duration of protection you just applied and then switch over to offensive mode in Air or Fire and look to overload those attunements if the opportunity arises, to continue your unrelenting pressure.

JYVtROj.jpg

Thanks to Apple, Ike, Levyne and Zeroth for taking the time to do Arah1 and CoF3, the last two paths I needed.

Yaaaay congrats!

I've been really laggy too lately, randomly spiking up to 2000 ping before dropping back to normal a few seconds later. Yesterday my ping was hovering around 300-400 for most of the night when it's between 80 and 120 usually. Wasn't sure if it was my ISP or the GW2 servers.

toot

Spyware

Yessss. Dagger/Warhorn confirmed to be a good combo. So happy! What also helps is that Tempest sounds generally amazing. Happyhappy.

But the person writing that article... ehm...
Ten Ton Hammer said:
Elementalists should prepare themselves to harness the sound of power.
The tempest creates a nimbus cloud above themselves that repeatedly strikes nearby enemies.
The tempest pulls water into an aquatic bubble that allows them to regenerate and cleanse conditions from yourself and nearby allies.
The tempest will call the storm down on nearby allies and himself
Yeah, no.

5il3nc3r

Nice. Even without any gameplay videos the Tempest already sounds more interesting to me than the Dragonhunter. My personal rankings of the elite specialization so far:

1. Chronomancer
  2. Reaper
  3. Tempest
  4. Dragonhunter
Most likely going to change my main from Guardian for HoT.

Retro

But the person writing that article... ehm...

Yeah, no.

That's nothing, his article on Mist Champions was so poorly written ArenaNet made him change it. He used the word "purchase" to describe the unlocking process for them and ArenaNet was putting out "Pay 2 Win!" fires almost immediately.

The impression I get, especially from the way he bookends his articles with unrelated petty criticism and snark and seems to have no working knowledge of the game at all, is that he doesn't like having to cover GW2 and doesn't play the game at all.

Dunno why they keep throwing TenTon articles when MassivelyOP has always been better and could use the coverage since joystiq axed em. Another disconnect between the devs and the PR department, I guess.

Nice. Even without any gameplay videos the Tempest already sounds more interesting to me than the Dragonhunter. My personal rankings of the elite specialization so far:

1. Chronomancer
  2. Reaper
  3. Tempest
  4. Dragonhunter

Honestly, that's the order I'd put them in too. I don't play my Necro at all, but Reaper has me really interested. Tempest sounds neat, but a little... predictable? Maybe I just need to see it in action.

Spyware

That's nothing, his article on Mist Champions was so poorly written ArenaNet made him change it. He used the word "purchase" to describe the unlocking process for them and ArenaNet was putting out "Pay 2 Win!" fires almost immediately.

The impression I get, especially from the way he bookends his articles with unrelated petty criticism and snark and seems to have no working knowledge of the game at all, is that he doesn't like having to cover GW2 and doesn't play the game at all.

Dunno why they keep throwing TenTon articles when MassivelyOP has always been better and could use the coverage since joystiq axed em. Another disconnect between the devs and the PR department, I guess.
Ugh. Had no idea since I very rarely read these. Normally I just check the official stuff.
I have not read anything from Massively lately (like, for years :p) but I do connect the name to enjoyable content. Mostly from Rubi.

1. Chronomancer
  2. Reaper
  3. Tempest
  4. Dragonhunter

Huh. For me Tempest sounds the most fun out of the four. I like the idea of Guardian longbow but I'm not really a fan of traps. Reaper got a lot less interesting when I read this part:
Reaper Announcement said:
One of the most immediate things you’ll notice when you take charge of the reaper in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ is that the greatsword attacks are slow. In fact, most of the reaper’s attacks have a fairly sizeable cast time.
because I can't really stand being slow :/ Mesmer is not a fav class to begin with and I rarely play them well. Can't see that changing anytime soon so while I love the idea of Chrono I won't be able to play it properly.

Sooo... maybe something like this for me:
1. Tempest (clear "winner" so far)
2. Dragonhunter (due to longbow)
3. Reaper
4. Chronomancer

Ashodin

that's cute.

sword ele when
Never

Seriously tho I don't expect elite specs will be added until another expansion. So another three years from now.

Which they might as well do GW3 by then. Which would be hilarious because they only ever got to add one elite spec.

5il3nc3r

This may sound silly but the main reason i rank the Dragonhunter last is not really because of the specialization's mechanics but more because thematically it feels odd in my mind that a Guardian transitions into a Dragonhunter.

To me it makes sense for a Mesmer to specialize into class that focuses on time manipulations since they have already dabbled a bit with time based skills. Similarly it feels natural that an Elementalist will transform into a Tempest through mastering their elements and eventually gaining the ability to overload them. Necromancer's raise the dead so it's natural they will become a personification of death by becoming a Reaper.

Anet's description of Dragonhunter - "Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent, and the dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions". I guess that makes sense but I still have a harder time imagining the protector, supporter persona of the Guardian transitioning into a trap laying hunter.

I see a lot of people are easily impress or only play PvE. Does the skills look cool, hell ya, but that's it.

So let's really examine the tempest.
War horn sounds like a great weapon, too bad, the elementalist main hand suck. The focus and dagger off hands make the dagger main hand less terrible. The warhorn seems to continue the tradition, I suppose.

I love how Karl completely forgot about the Scepter when talking about main hand. It also seems like the singularity will be better off with staff unless it is PvE, where anything works including scepter.

Based on what we know the effectiveness of singularity depends entirely on your team mate providing your stability or your opponents being completely stupid or bad. Unfortunately for the tempest guild war 2 has A LOT of ways to interrupt a skill, , which is easy, you get locked out of that attunement for 15 to 20 second If you switch out. The problem is for every content except PvE, elementalist relies heavily on attunement dancing. The worst part is, the skills doesn't even do anything special compared to the current elementalist skill set.

Dead

well not really...yet
Kinda disappointed Ele ends up not getting sword. Reaper still my favorite spec revealed so far.

Bring on the Engi reveal.

This may sound silly but the main reason i rank the Dragonhunter last is not really because of the specialization's mechanics but more because thematically it feels odd in my mind that a Guardian transitions into a Dragonhunter.

To me it makes sense for a Mesmer to specialize into class that focuses on time manipulations since they have already dabbled a bit with time based skills. Similarly it feels natural that an Elementalist will transform into a Tempest through mastering their elements and eventually gaining the ability to overload them. Necromancer's raise the dead so it's natural they will become a personification of death by becoming a Reaper.

Anet's description of Dragonhunter - "Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent, and the dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions". I guess that makes sense but I still have a harder time imagining the protector, supporter persona of the Guardian transitioning into a trap laying hunter.

I agree. I'm really sour on DRAGON HUNTER.

Tempest looks cool, but does it really bring anything new? The shouts seem cool, but locking out people for 20 seconds with the overload. I don't know. To make it worthwhile it would have to be a really powerful ability, and those are never good in PvP. We need to get away from one-shotting and a vertical hierarchy of how good skills are. All skills should be equal, but situational.

Aquila

The vast majority of warhorn skins are just plain boring too.

Some of the new Tempest skills sound really good, but the overcharge mechanic just sounds like it's trying to pigeon-hole how to play the elementalist. Short of Fresh Air trait, Tempest just shuts down fast pace attunement dancing.

I'll wait for more impressions but I had such high hopes for sword skills instead. Time to main engineer for now.

hythloday

Tempest sounds neat but I need to play it to really get a feel for what they can do. Playing a bard in FFXIV has really made me enjoy the "Kill stuff but also do nice things for team mates" role. I plan to try Chronomancer (of course) but part of me is really hoping the Tempest clicks, too.

Also, mostly unrelated, but following some ANet people on Twitter made me realize one big thing today: I really wish I worked someplace where food trucks go.

Proven

Yeah, my Ele is going to be a Tempest. Although that means two classes with Dagger/Warhorn...

Considering the number of fields that the Tempest can produce, I can't see Scepter not being a decent combo with a number of its finishers, especially with two blast finishers and AoE vigor in fire to help with the specialization's close to mid range focus.

I guess it makes sense to me because Dragonhunters are basically long range smiters. The Guardian has bits of the Monk and Paragon, and since they didn't want to add Spears, Longbows cover the same role. Maybe I'm just weird being the only one that thinks the Dragonhunter is cool at all, but that may be because I've been wanting another long range weapon to swap to from Scepter and I don't really want to use Meditations all that much (although I've been learning how to use them, and Dragonhunter may work well with the defensive ones anyway). I will admit that traps only make sense once you already take the Longbow using magically constructed arrows as a given, as then you figure out how to make other magic constructs that combo well with your decidedly mid to long range playstyle.

Spyware

I guess I react differently to the elite specs than some since I have 5 of each class and only one of each will be elite specced. I don't have to choose between Elementalist and Tempest for example, I'll just keep playing everything :)

...and no I don't PvP and some might consider me "easily impressed" due to my generally positive attitude towards most things GW2.
My positive reaction to the Tempest wasn't that the skills "look cool" (do they? huh...) at all. It was from dagger being confirmed as a good main hand and for the new type of skills being shouts. Shouts are easy to use and I like playing characters that run around and yell at everything ^^

Mxrz

PvP every day. Tempest looks like an all around upgrade. The main-hand weakness argument doesn't carry much weight imo. Ele Scepter is far from the weakest main hands among the classes.

Its a broken record at this point, but the Tempest/Ele does cast some doubts on the Reaper now. And I'm of the mind that Necro isn't nearly as bad off as some take on. There isn't a 1:1 comparison of classes thats fair, but do have to wonder about the cool down & self affliction used to curb the power of one, while another seemingly has no limits.

All that aside. DragonHunter still looks like the best pvp-flavored upgrade should the knockback trait survive to launch.

Doesn't sound particularly interesting from the article, but as always its best to wait for the stream. Still hyped about the Engineer spec, I neeeeed that hammer.

I guess I react differently to the elite specs than some since I have 5 of each class and only one of each will be elite specced. I don't have to choose between Elementalist and Tempest for example, I'll just keep playing everything :)

...and no I don't PvP and some might consider me "easily impressed" due to my generally positive attitude towards most things GW2.
My positive reaction to the Tempest wasn't that the skills "look cool" (do they? huh...) at all. It was from dagger being confirmed as a good main hand and for the new type of skills being shouts. Shouts are easy to use and I like playing characters that run around and yell at everything ^^
If you don't pvp the class mechanics will work. Ironically it will work best with staff.

PvP every day. Tempest looks like an all around upgrade. The main-hand weakness argument doesn't carry much weight imo. Ele Scepter is far from the weakest main hands among the classes.

Its a broken record at this point, but the Tempest/Ele does cast some doubts on the Reaper now. And I'm of the mind that Necro isn't nearly as bad off as some take on. There isn't a 1:1 comparison of classes thats fair, but do have to wonder about the cool down & self affliction used to curb the power of one, while another seemingly has no limits.

All that aside. DragonHunter still looks like the best pvp-flavored upgrade should the knockback trait survive to launch.
Having a skill with a long channel time that locks you out of your attunement for 15 to 20 sec isnt an upgrade, it makes you a sitting duck. I mean it is like karl forgot about interrupt, which puts the skill and attunement the on full cd. The warhorn skills provide nothing to compliment the d/ and scepter is so bad karl "forgot" to reference it.

Warhorn sounds and looks cool, but after the initial excitement, all you have is an average weapon.

Retro

I'm hold back judgement on Tempest / Ele Warhorn until we have something more than a badly-written sneak preview. An actual blog post that covers the mechanics more accurately should be up tomorrow and Friday will have actual gameplay footage.

I'm hold back judgement on Tempest / Ele Warhorn until we have something more than a badly-written sneak preview. An actual blog post that covers the mechanics more accurately should be up tomorrow and Friday will have actual gameplay footage.

The Reaper looks visually amazing (Reaper form), so for Tirzah Bauer to say that her in her tweet. I hope for some really cool animations. It will be exciting.

Also @ Am I the only that enjoys shouts? I don't think I will be a tempest, but I can see myself running with the shouts D/D. I almost never play my ele though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom