• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Is it COZ luftar?

if COZ we can replace him with WOZ

woz.gif

Trey

earth overload looks so goofy, lol

on the whole, meh. I'll mess around with Tempest a bit but it's not doing anything for me.

The Tempest Overloads are really going to be shutdown in PVP, a single interrupt can stop everything
I mean why would you give up /d for the warhorn? The overload mechanic like you said makes you an easy target to interrupt. d/d is just so good. you give up damage modifiers or give up arcane or water (that isn't going to happen).

Tempest screams WwW spec to me :eek:

... and seems to be too much for twitch ... :p

What part of WvW does it scream to you? The part where you give up damage modifiers? The part where it is useless in the backlines? The part where the overload has only a small radius?

Retro

I mean why would you give up /d for the warhorn? The overload mechanic like you said makes you an easy target to interrupt. d/d is just so good. you give up damage modifiers or give up arcane or water (that isn't going to happen).

You can use d/d with the Overload mechanic though. Elite specs don't force your weapon choices. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see d/d Tempests being much more popular than Warhorn ones considering the cooldowns are a bit long for the range required and how unsexy the community thinks warhorn is.

Spyware

I mean why would you give up /d for the warhorn?
Maybe someone... thinks it's more fun to play?
I don't care about damage numbers, I don't care about how effective I am. I care about fun. For me fun is sometimes not the same as being amazing at something. Sometimes I just want to be flashy :)

But as I said before, I personally don't have to "give up" anything to play a warhorn tempest. I have a different character for other weapon sets like D/D. Those who prefer to be as effective as possible probably won't change to warhorn if it's so bad. This is something I'm unable to see from these kinds of videos. Or maybe... ever. I guess I'm not a good enough player to recognize a good or bad weapon :D I just know what I like the "feel" of.

Jira

I wouldn't worry about Tempest, they said they're still tweaking stuff and they want our feedback on them soon.

Also,

Fellow Warriors of the Mists,

World population is visible on the labels on the World Selection and Transfer screen. It determines whether you can transfer to a world and, if you can, how much the transfer will cost. These measures historically have been set based on aggregate population levels around all game modes. But because World versus World is the only game mode to which worlds apply these days, we have developed a better model that exclusively uses WvW data to determine population levels and transfer costs.

We will be rolling out the new model soon and some shifts in the population levels should be expected. We’ll continue to monitor the situation, and we’ll make all adjustments we deem necessary to improve the WvW experience. As always, your feedback is very welcome.

See you in the Mists,
— Samuel

Zeroth

The problem with Tempest, speaking in a PvE dungeon/fractals sense, is that its options seem pretty limitating compared to Dagger or Focus. It offers two fields (fire field at 40 CD and water field at 50 CD) bu lacks any blasts (surprising given it's a warhorn) compared to the short CD fire field of Dagger and Focus and the 2 blasts they come with. The shouts are also very lackluster, having big CDs and not having much synergy with the fields that ele can cast and the elite fails to be significant (I was expecting more stuff on top of the 25% CD reduction, not just that).

I think Tempest will still find its uses, but it's not something that really entices me to replace my Focus for PvE or Dagger for PvP, sadly.

TrounceX

Fellow Warriors of the Mists,

World population is visible on the labels on the World Selection and Transfer screen. It determines whether you can transfer to a world and, if you can, how much the transfer will cost. These measures historically have been set based on aggregate population levels around all game modes. But because World versus World is the only game mode to which worlds apply these days, we have developed a better model that exclusively uses WvW data to determine population levels and transfer costs.

We will be rolling out the new model soon and some shifts in the population levels should be expected. We’ll continue to monitor the situation, and we’ll make all adjustments we deem necessary to improve the WvW experience. As always, your feedback is very welcome.

See you in the Mists,
— Samuel

Interesting. Hopefully this will help address the T1 servers becoming locked "full" after the $10 sale, which caused everyone to buy an alt and put it on a different server. Cross-server guilds were a mistake, all it did was put a strangle on transfers from lower tier servers who were actually going to log in and play. T2 has been queuing harder than T1 for months because of this. If glicko were a competent rating system the server order would be totally different.

Should also help servers like Sea of Sorrows, Dragonbrand, and Darkhaven who have massive PvE populations holding their servers back.

Good news for once.

Retro

I feel like the issue with Tempest is that Elementalist is already a really well-built profession. They could certainly add all sorts of mechanics to make it play differently, but it feels like they have solid options in pretty much every play mode already. Tempest feels like "more Elementalist," and while I'm sure there will be lots of cool new builds and such, I'm kind of... underwhelmed?

Maybe it's because Ele just isn't high up on my list of favorites (though certainly no where near the bottom, that'd be Necro) but all of the elite specs so far make me want to play them (even Necro), whereas Tempest feels like something I will consider while making a build but doesn't really inspire me in any way. It's just, again, "more Elementalist." That's not a bad thing, but personally it doesn't make me go "Awww man, I can't wait to try that."

Ele is just such a solid profession that I don't know what else they could have done here that wouldn't be even more redundant or a more niche gameplay type.

Ashodin

I think for both you and I retro, the spec that is the MOST interesting to me in terms of "oh I want to play this underplayed profession" is Reaper. The shouts, the greatsword, the interesting way they've made the profession feel powerful appeals to me in a way that I haven't felt it before. And to be able to get into it and really learn something new (as I know barely fuck all about Necros). That is exciting to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Tempest just really seems like it'll be fun to play, to me. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I do (like Spyware) hope they are keeping this sort of partly mechanical, partly logistical, partly unquantifiable sense of "but how does it feel" in mind when working out these professions, and especially when asking themselves why players might prefer an elite specialization to the respective core.

One of my favorite things (indeed perhaps my favorite) about GW2 is that following the basic finalization of my gamepad setup to be able to play it even on the proverbial comfy couch, it became a game that is simply fun to play in terms of its literal moment-to-moment gameplay. It's a quality shared by wildly disparate favorites of mine from Bayonetta to Bloodborne, Portal to Power Stone, Jet Set Radio to Jumping Flash. Ultimately it's the defining aspect of any game's long-term value to me, regardless of the caliber of all other elements.

On a related matter... I still haven't zeroed in on where to stick F5 on my control scheme. F1-F4 was so elegant ;_;

Retro

I think for both you and I retro, the spec that is the MOST interesting to me in terms of "oh I want to play this underplayed profession" is Reaper. The shouts, the greatsword, the interesting way they've made the profession feel powerful appeals to me in a way that I haven't felt it before. And to be able to get into it and really learn something new (as I know barely fuck all about Necros). That is exciting to me.

I'm honestly more interested in Chronomancer, just because it looks like there will be tons of interesting ways to fuck around with Continuum Split / Shift. Everyone is looking at it as a 'rewind' button kind of thing, but I can't wait to goof off with it for stuff like, say, creating a portal in one place, dropping the exit, rewinding time and dropping the exit somewhere else.

Reaper looks cool in that it's fundamentally different from anything Necro has, and stands out because none of their existing options really appeals to me. I don't like Minions, Conditions, wells... I basically leveled mine with a power build using dagger to melee stuff.

Dragonhunter, I'm still on the fence about. It'll be good and I'm sure I'll really enjoy Longbow Guardian, but it feels like an obvious direction to take the class rather than an exciting new one.

A big part of it is that they haven't revealed the Elite Spec for my top three yet (Engineer, Warrior and Thief, in that order).

One of my favorite things (indeed perhaps my favorite) about GW2 is that following the basic finalization of my gamepad setup to be able to play it even on the proverbial comfy couch, it became a game that is simply fun to play in terms of its literal moment-to-moment gameplay. It's a quality shared by wildly disparate favorites of mine from Bayonetta to Bloodborne, Portal to Power Stone, Jet Set Radio to Jumping Flash. Ultimately it's the defining aspect of any game's long-term value to me, regardless of the caliber of all other elements.

On a related matter... I still haven't zeroed in on where to stick F5 on my control scheme. F1-F4 was so elegant ;_;

That's kind of how I feel too; I haven't been playing much because I don't want to burn myself on the leveling process since I want to manually bring up a Revenant. Last night I just jumped on my Ranger for shits and giggles and before I knew it I had almost cleared Caledon Forest and gained like 5 levels. It's a very fun game to just pick up and play and sometimes being goal-oriented can be a determent to my enjoyment.

As to your F5... can you configure it to recognize double taps (for example, Down is F1, but Down Down quickly is F5?). Maybe some kind of activation button you have to hold down?

Trey

Chronomancer gonna get that work. Leveling a mesmer just for the occasion.

If I didn't already main an ele I wouldn't bother with tempest. That earth overload skill, lol.

Retro

That earth overload skill, lol.

I guess in my mind when they talked about channeling the elements, I pictured something like the non-charr animation for Empower, but you sort of stay suspended in mid-air while a storm of elemental power whirls around you. Instead of... curling up into a bubble or surfing on an awkwardly animated pillar of stone. It's very odd.

I also know that making the shout names kind of... punny.. seems right up my alley, but I don't particularly want "Feel the burn!" coming out of my character's mouth. I dunno if that makes sense.

Ashodin

Dragonhunter, I'm still on the fence about. It'll be good and I'm sure I'll really enjoy Longbow Guardian, but it feels like an obvious direction to take the class rather than an exciting new one.

Already I'm way more interested in the Tome spec they alluded to for the future. I want to see that! Have Tomes be kits :)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I guess in my mind when they talked about channeling the elements, I pictured something like the non-charr animation for Empower, but you sort of stay suspended in mid-air while a storm of elemental power whirls around you. Instead of... curling up into a bubble or surfing on an awkwardly animated pillar of stone. It's very odd.

But now people can pretend to be Toph from Avatar!
g9vFO8v.png

I really really hate channeled abilities so there's a good chance I will try Tempest for like 5 minutes then never used it again.

spiritfox

Am I the only one who likes Tempest? The support it brings to the table is pretty great. Horn is a bit weak, but the shouts are nice.

Proven

Am I the only one who likes Tempest? The support it brings to the table is pretty great. Horn is a bit weak, but the shouts are nice.

I need to make time so I can watch the livestream VOD. Just looking at the traits means that I'll take the Tempest just for the aura share and bonuses. Don't know which offhand I'll use though.

Retro

But now people can pretend to be Toph from Avatar!

miyazaki.gif

I don't dislike it so much as I don't see a need for it. Elementalist is a really solid profession that, as far as I can tell, performs well in PVE, PVP and WvW. Dragonhunter and Reaper fill 'gaps' in their profession (Range for the former, melee for the latter) and Chronomancer feels like a new play angle for Mesmer.

Looking over the Tempest skills, I guess a lot of it just feels redundant. More fields, more AOEs. Fire stuff burns, water stuff heals, air stuff grants swiftness, earth stuff cripples and immobilizes. I guess when we first heard the name was going to be "Tempest" I pictured something much more specialized, but watching the livestream it just looks like.. new ways to do the things Eles already do really well?

I dunno, I don't "click" with the existing Necro builds either but people really seem to enjoy it, so maybe this is just another case where something doesn't "click" with me. I don't mean to say that it's bad, just... not for me.

traveler

Not Wario
Tempest just really seems like it'll be fun to play, to me. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I do (like Spyware) hope they are keeping this sort of partly mechanical, partly logistical, partly unquantifiable sense of "but how does it feel" in mind when working out these professions, and especially when asking themselves why players might prefer an elite specialization to the respective core.

Is xpadder (and, by extension, your controller setup) still incompatible with any windows 8/10?

Ashodin

Thinking about doing a Belcher's Bluff Tournament. Main prize would be some high number of gold, (perhaps from entry fee of 5g per person), plus I would encourage battling as your various characters to encourage achievements (especially the "Win from every race" one).

What do you guys think?

You can use d/d with the Overload mechanic though. Elite specs don't force your weapon choices. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see d/d Tempests being much more popular than Warhorn ones considering the cooldowns are a bit long for the range required and how unsexy the community thinks warhorn is.
What you are saying is only tangentially related to what I am saying. Of course you can use d/d with overload mechanic, it will be a shitty d/d build though. The value for D/d comes from a combination of traits that the meshes well with d/d, not simply from the weapons itself.

The overload actually hurts your viability, since d/d requires attunement dancing. It takes a while for overcharge to appear then when it does appear it takes 2.75 to 5 second during that time you can easily be interrupted, then if you switch out of the attunement you are locked out for at least 10 to 20 seconds. to make matters worse tempest has no damage modifiers so you are doing even less damage.

There is a reason why a lot of people affect the initial excitement of fancy skill effects are beginning to resent the tempest.

Maybe someone... thinks it's more fun to play?
I don't care about damage numbers, I don't care about how effective I am. I care about fun. For me fun is sometimes not the same as being amazing at something. Sometimes I just want to be flashy :)

But as I said before, I personally don't have to "give up" anything to play a warhorn tempest. I have a different character for other weapon sets like D/D. Those who prefer to be as effective as possible probably won't change to warhorn if it's so bad. This is something I'm unable to see from these kinds of videos. Or maybe... ever. I guess I'm not a good enough player to recognize a good or bad weapon :D I just know what I like the "feel" of.

I was talking about PvP. You are free to do whatever you want in PvE, not my business but in PvP you are going to be a free kill which is all that matters to me in this case.

Hey guys if you have an android phone can you check out my friends first game https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dragosoft.shapedrop&hl=en he made this game over this year after learning to program a year ago.

He is also in our guild, SDKnight is his character name but doesn't play as much since he has been busy working on this. Will probably be back after expansion comes out.

You guys know if there are any threads to promote games like this or is something like that not allowed on GAF?

Welp , looks like BG WVW has gone mental .

they are holding a 75 hour long WVW raid train .

BG hasn't gone mental, this is the real BG, you can't beat them unless it's a 2v1, they have more WvW numbers than TC and JG, I have seen megablobs on all 4 maps at 3am est, while TC has 1 and half and JG has 2, when BG has a reason to play their WvW population shows up..

Wanderer5

Even with the guilds coming over, it going to take quite a while for YB to be able to have some ground in tier 1 if no one in tier 1 is being pushed down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom