• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mxrz

Nice changes. Seems like dropping it down to one fractal will ease the difficulty up considerably. Although I wonder if you can pick and choose which fractal for a given level, or if they're in a set order. There has to be something to keep people from doing Swamp till 100, I'd think. But then pugging Cliffside for another 50 levels isn't too attractive either.

Two+ years of hoarding Healing Power rings will pay off, woot. Always figured Fractal Skins would be made easier to get somehow, and I'll bet this will kill the epeen factor for some people. I'll certainly pick up the sword, even if I do have a chaos now days.

* Gah. Ascended Breather. Must have. Now. Begone filthy exotic.

Retro

Nice changes. Seems like dropping it down to one fractal will ease the difficulty up considerably.

I don't know about difficulty so much as the required time investment. One of the reasons I don't run Fractals very often is that the time to complete them can vary wildly depending on what you draw.

Although I wonder if you can pick and choose which fractal for a given level, or if they're in a set order. There has to be something to keep people from doing Swamp till 100, I'd think. But then pugging Cliffside for another 50 levels isn't too attractive either.

They said twice in the article that it would be a "static" list or schedule, but didn't elaborate too much beyond "The new static schedule will allow you to practice a given fractal and learn its challenges with your friends, removing the necessity of rerolling fractals in order to find the fractal of your choice." I'm guessing it will be a Fractal-per-day thing. That seems a little too static for my tastes, so maybe every fractal range will be a different fractal for a whole day?

Also suspiciously absent from the article; mention of new fractals.

Ashodin

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh this will increase GAFractal crews exponentially.

Also Ike must be in heaven right now, I think he died reading it

Retro: yeah I got a single fractal a-day. And also no new fractals suspiciously not there

Breaking down the news to make it simple:

* Fractals will now be a single fractal, not a set of 4 fractals.
* Scales go up to 100 now.
* Dailies are reworked so you are no longer rewarded by tier but by dailies (dailies being focused on doing stuff like specific fractals, etc)
* New Instabilities with the possibility of having multiple instabilities at the same time on higher scales.
* New rewards at the end of EACH FRACTAL (fractal incription). Those can be used toward rewards ("new Mini Professor Mew, new ascended aquatic-breather recipes, high-level crafting materials, or many other rewards") and traded between players.
* Fractal weapon skins now purchaseable after personal reward 50 with Pristine Relics. Collection achievement for having them all + a unique reward for completing it.
* NEW fractal weapon skins rewarded for completing high scale fractals. Those can be traded for different versions allowing you to change a undesirable skin into one you want.
* Legendary Backpacks tied to fractal content, including salvaging ascended gear for materials toward it.
* Fractal Leaderboards may be coming in the future.

I am completely floored.

Speechless. What in the fuck.

AND THIS IS NOT THE "CHALLENGING GROUP CONTENT"?

z2HXo8h.gif

Mxrz

Ah missed the word schedule. Swamp day is going to be really popular, but still think there'd be more to it. I'm down with limiting short fractals to the lower levels, but that will make 50+ slim pickings without new fractals. Yet making new Fractals for 50+ would basically be gated content.

Maybe getting to 100 shouldn't be a prestige thing, and swamp-a-day is fine. The epeeniness could come from the achievements. Given the hard-mode toggles in the LS boss fights, could see a few of those. Like the harder LS versions of Mai Trin and the Moltan duo.

Re - time, that is part of the difficulty with pugs, at least on a "I can't stand these people, let me out" level. Dealing with pugs for 20-30 minutes is a lot easier than dealing with them for an hour or two.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Once you’ve completed fractal scale 50, the golem BUY-2046 in the Mistlock Observatory will sell you a fractal weapon crate for pristine fractal relics, which will grant you a fractal weapon skin of your choice.
That's very clever, really. Still require a completion threshold to be reached (or, of course, retroactively award this completion to those who have already beaten 50, but also create a cosmetic sink for the existing currency that veteran players had piled up. Furthermore securing just one completion of 50 will give even casual players a route to their desired skins, with the only variable being time. That may well annoy some from an exclusivity sense but getting the fractal skin you actually want, via playing lots of fractals, seems just right to me.

Zeroth

A few details mentioned by an arena net developer on Reddit:

* Islands and their instabilities are tied to the scale. This means Scale 20 will always be, say, Swamp with Constant Agony + Exploding enemies.
* Rewards are balanced so that longer fractals (like Cliffside) offer better rewards than faster ones (like Swamp).

And in their own words:

The new daily achievements will require you complete different fractal scales. You won't be able to just do swamp X times to complete the achievements.
This might mean a group picks their favorite set of scales (3 to 9 or so islands) to clear each day, but repeatedly farming the same scale or same island will not be as beneficial.

Wanderer5

Color me interested in the new fractal changes. The one island setup sounds pretty neat and will probably have me check out fractals more often.

Also that backpack looks godly.

Ashodin

A few details mentioned by an arena net developer on Reddit:

* Islands and their instabilities are tied to the scale. This means Scale 20 will always be, say, Swamp with Constant Agony + Exploding enemies.
* Rewards are balanced so that longer fractals (like Cliffside) offer better rewards than faster ones (like Swamp).

And in their own words:

fucken awesome

ok I NEED that fractal backpiece now, it's been 2 years

Zeroth

It's worth pointing out that they are kinda adding a new system here. Fractal Encryption Boxes are rewarded at the end of each fractal run, but you need a fractal encryption key to open them. The only confirmed way to get the keys right now is by salvaging ascended rings. It's kinda like back lion chests but with keys being part of the system itself.

And besides that, there are still the rewards for finishing the daily fractal stuff, so Fractal content will get far more rewarding.

Jira

I feel like new fractals are a given at this point. Even if we see another set of say 8 + 1 boss, that would be awesome. They may be holding off on another blog for them, maybe show them off at Gamescom? Then again they're probably either going to have their challenging group content on display there or BWE announcement.

Zeroth

They already mentioned they aren't done talking about fractals. We still need details about Fractal Masteries after all, so I wouldn't say that there's no chance for new fractals

Jira

If they were adding new fractals they would have talked about it already

ANet doesn't like to make large posts for blogs. Also, they said they're not done talking about fractals.

However, we’ll come back to discuss how that component (Ad Infinitum) works—and how it ties into our next steps for the Fractals of the Mists within Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns

Proven

Didn't expect news today. I'll catch it later (prob tomorrow) but I wanted to remind people of the WvW stress test today. Blog post for a reminder, and links to the three streams in question: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/...sert-borderlands-invitational-live-on-twitch/

Head to the official stream for what I assume will be pass off streams between the three main streamers: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2/ (Note, this specific stream doesn't start until 3PM PDT)

Or check the guildwars 2 section on twitch for anyone who is in the test and see what's going on. I'm checking http://www.twitch.tv/reyana_atac right now. There's also http://www.twitch.tv/vaanss_ who I know is pretty good roamer on top of being counted on by his guild. And... I'm already done scrolling. On the off chance the main streamers are also allowed to use their personal twitch channels: http://www.twitch.tv/chemsorly (one of, if not the most overal popular WvW/GvG streamer), http://www.twitch.tv/shinryuku_ku (infamous plays all modes on his stream, and is usually a roamer in WvW), and http://www.twitch.tv/digitalprosports (Heurix, I don't actually know much about him other than he's likely the one that's been handling GvG attention in DPS).

Edit: Reading on the Fractal changes...

Damn, I realized awhile ago that they probably needed to make each fractal level a predetermined set to stop people from rolling for swamp all the time (which always felt dumb and made me want to do Fractals even less...) but now making Fractals into official mini-dungeons makes them so much more playable to even me. Also, isn't Lester Bloom one of the programmers behind the AI changes? I remember seeing his name in the last few months.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
new fractals with HoT would be good for its value proposition all around. but it would also be nice for them to be added for free.

Retro

We still need details about Fractal Masteries after all, so I wouldn't say that there's no chance for new fractals

That was something I noticed as well, and I wonder if it was intentional. ArenaNet has been pushing for more Account-wide (rather than character-specific) means of progression. Maybe they lead with all of the good news today so that at a later date they can drop the other shoe; Agony resist could become account-wide via Fractal Mastery, and everyone who's spent time and money getting agony resist on their gear is about to get another big reset.

If that's what they plan to do, they'd be smart to let your current Agony resist translate into Fractal Mastery automatically (for example, it might take your character with the highest AR and make that account wide). I would also announce it with some details on any new fractals so you're wedging the bad news between two tasty slices of good news.

Wallach

Fractals being "one at a time" sounds 1,000% more approachable. It is absolutely the right call.

Golden weapon reskins are wack, though. Some corny FPS-style stuff, please don't.

Zeroth

That was something I noticed as well, and I wonder if it was intentional. ArenaNet has been pushing for more Account-wide (rather than character-specific) means of progression. Maybe they lead with all of the good news today so that at a later date they can drop the other shoe; Agony resist could become account-wide via Fractal Mastery, and everyone who's spent time and money getting agony resist on their gear is about to get another big reset.

If that's what they plan to do, they'd be smart to let your current Agony resist translate into Fractal Mastery automatically (for example, it might take your character with the highest AR and make that account wide). I would also announce it with some details on any new fractals so you're wedging the bad news between two tasty slices of good news.

I don't think we'll see another reset. The outrage from people who spent money on stat infusions would be too big (plus they already confirmed new infusions in previous blog posts). I think AR will be rebalanced (noticed how it wasn't mentioned at all) and it will probably be like Scale 90-100 = 100 AR (that's the max you get full ascended and with +10 infusions on rings and ackpiece), Scale 80-90 = 90 AR and so on.

Retro

I don't think we'll see another reset. The outrage from people who spent money on stat infusions would be too big (plus they already confirmed new infusions in previous blog posts). I think AR will be rebalanced (noticed how it wasn't mentioned at all) and it will probably be like Scale 90-100 = 100 AR (that's the max you get full ascended and with +10 infusions on rings and ackpiece), Scale 80-90 = 90 AR and so on.

Yeah, that's why I don't think it'll happen that way because of the potential outrage. I'm just wondering what Fractal Mastery will entail, then.

Quenk

Yeah, that's why I don't think it'll happen that way because of the potential outrage. I'm just wondering what Fractal Mastery will entail, then.

Maybe Fractal Mastery could give some account wide AR but not enough to reach the amounts needed for the new high-level fractals.

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm looking at my desktop's utterly shit performance of this game again. Looking at HWMonitor, my GPU usage is at max while CPU usage hangs at around 15-35% everywhere at any setting, while the game tanks to teens or single digits looking at anything but the ground.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/support/Very-Low-FPS-at-All-Settings-100-GPU-Usage

I posted about the issue 2 months ago here and the official forums, tried the suggestions, and nothing works. Settings are as in the link. Hardware is better than that of my laptop, which runs the game fine. This exact setup with some exceptions has ran the game fine from 2012 to 2014, but now nothing. The only things I've changed since that period are my PSU (Corsair 550m Gold) and a new CPU fan. I'm due for an upgrade at this point, but I won't get it for a while, and I'd really rather play on this machine than on my laptop. Anyone here can help?

Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm looking at my desktop's utterly shit performance of this game again. Looking at HWMonitor, my GPU usage is at max while CPU usage hangs at around 15-35% everywhere at any setting, while the game tanks to teens or single digits looking at anything but the ground.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/support/Very-Low-FPS-at-All-Settings-100-GPU-Usage

I posted about the issue 2 months ago here and the official forums, tried the suggestions, and nothing works. Settings are as in the link. Hardware is better than that of my laptop, which runs the game fine. This exact setup with some exceptions has ran the game fine from 2012 to 2014, but now nothing. The only things I've changed since that period are my PSU (Corsair 550m Gold) and a new CPU fan. I'm due for an upgrade at this point, but I won't get it for a while, and I'd really rather play on this machine than on my laptop. Anyone here can help?

According to other benchmarks, your video card is roughly the same as the 7750 used in this test and definitely weaker than the 550 Ti.

Your CPU is also considerably weaker than the Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.25GHz they used. Any amount of stress from high player populations will tank the frames immediately.

30 FPS is about the best you're ever going to see, and that's on rare occasions.

Your laptop's 840M is somewhere between the 640M/650M here, so depending on the CPU and resolution, it probably could do as well as or better than your desktop.

4GB of RAM is also not a huge amount for Windows + Programs + Game. Standing in Divinity's Reach, my PC is using 3.5 GBs and all I have going are Chrome, Steam, and GW2. If you don't have enough space for it to cache things, the frame rate will die every time you have to load something new from the hard drive into RAM.

Thanks Hawkie. Makes sense! I'm awaiting the new Guild weps. Those are my jam.

But do you guys think there will be different types of Legendary backpacks besides that fractial-wing thing?

I'm gonna throw a crazy in that is unlikely but it happened to me; Sometimes when Windows registers a new OS format, or a new PSU or major component change it will reset the power management. You know, like when you're on your laptop and you set it to balanced performance or high performance to conserve battery?
Well, that is also an option on PC I guess for people who worry about Watt usage, and I've had friends who played on their desktop PCs with it set to balanced performance instead of high performance. Windows set itself back. I don't know if this is common but check it.

As the thread suggest your ram is quite low. I'm on 8 GB and it sucks. Chrome is sloughing. You could take a USB drive and do that thing.. were you use a 4 GB USB stick you got laying around and use it as virtual memory but I have never tested this myself. It was a big hyped feature when Win 7 came out. I forgot the name. It's build in to windows now. I also dont know if it will yield performance increase.

But I dont get it. Your CPU usage should be max. My CPU goes almost to 100% even when I just have the client open. We all know GW2 is a CPU bound game so its strange to me that yours is not using that much.

As for your settings, Render Sampling: Native < Turn this down. the performance hit is only worth it for high end machines.
Turn off shadows. and shaders. These are nice but the penalty in FPS high and multiplied by the amount of objects (characters). I find them to have the highest performance penalties with the least visual eyecandy.

Also, other characters don't matter that much and your ram will benefit a lot if you Character Model Limit and Character Model Quality down to the lowest settings.

GW2 doesn't use a lot of CPU cores, so on a quad core 15-35% sounds right. One of the cores will probably be at 100%, but the others won't see much use.

Honestly, as much as the CPU is holding you back, it's just as much or more the GPU, and probably RAM too.

It's time to build a new system.

Thanks for the replies!

I certainly don't expect to run the game at max settings, but I do expect it to run properly at the same settings it did about a year ago. I don't know what could have changed about the game to cause this. I'll give you the RAM, that is looong overdue, but everything else should be able to run the game. The performance I'm getting is certainly abnormal.

When I said I have the problem at any setting, I meant every single setting. Resolution, subsampling, everything as low quality as possible and the problem persists.

I will try the power settings thing, but other than that I guess I'll have to upgrade.

Edit: None of the cores are at 100%

Edit: Also to mention, if I'm looking at the ground or something like that, both FPS and CPU usage jump, whereas both tank if I look anywhere else.

Ashodin

Thanks for the replies!

I certainly don't expect to run the game at max settings, but I do expect it to run properly at the same settings it did about a year ago. I don't know what could have changed about the game to cause this. I'll give you the RAM, that is looong overdue, but everything else should be able to run the game. The performance I'm getting is certainly abnormal.

When I said I have the problem at any setting, I meant every single setting. Resolution, subsampling, everything as low quality as possible and the problem persists.

I will try the power settings thing, but other than that I guess I'll have to upgrade.

The game has had incremental graphics upgrades since then. Plus changes to the engine as a whole in preparation for HoT.

Thanks for the replies!

Edit: Also to mention, if I'm looking at the ground or something like that, both FPS and CPU usage jump, whereas both tank if I look anywhere else.

This is what it looked like while running the game on absolute max settings @ 2880x1620 resolution, doing a boss in the Silverwastes with ~15 people fighting in the area.

3770k @ 4.5GHz, 16GBs of RAM, and a GTX970 @ 1.5GHz.

~30% total usage sounds normal, however it decides to split it on threads/cores.

If CPU usage goes up when you look at the ground, you are being GPU bound when you look anywhere else. The CPU is being limited because the GPU can't keep up. Looking at the ground is removing whatever GPU bottleneck.

I'm hesitant to put the blame entirely on outdated hardware knowing what you've all told me, as even running the game in a tiny window, every setting as low as possible nets the same result with maybe 5-10 frames more. Nevertheless, as I was told months before, the hardware needs a change. It won't happen soon, but until then I'll stick with my laptop. Thanks anyway for all your efforts.

Retro

One of the devs has been answering questions about Fractal changes on Reddit;

Will we keep our fractal reward levels when these changes go live?
Yes. We won't be resetting your personal fractal scale :)

Just a small clarification on what word you can use to refer to each fractal map.
You could use the terms "single fractal", "single map", or "single island" to all mean the same thing. We usually call them islands, but every now and then I jumble up my dev terms and my live terms. Sorry for the confusion.

About fractal boss islands.
They are islands and will be mixed into the new 'static schedule'.

Clarification on the "static list" of fractals.
Each fractal scale is a pre-determined island and mistlock instability pairing. Fractal 20 will always be the same island and the same mistlock instability.

Clarification on whether Fractal 20 will have instabilities.
This is just a random example. Design will determine the best scale to introduce features at.

In response to the mention of a "static list" of fractals, someone asked if different fractals will be open at specific times, like world bosses.
The 'static schedule' is the pre-determined island/mistlock ibstability pairing I mentioned above. There is no time component like worldbosses have.

Rewards
The rewards you get from an island will scale based on the island type. So an island that is typically longer (cliffside) will give more rewards then one that is typically shorter (swamp). This will discourage you from just farming swamp forever.

The new daily achievements are similar to the daily fractal bouncy chests you get right now on live. There will be multiple reward systems in the new feature.

The new daily achievements will require you complete different fractal scales. You won't be able to just do swamp X times to complete the achievements.

This might mean a group picks their favorite set of scales (3 to 9 or so islands) to clear each day, but repeatedly farming the same scale or same island will not be as beneficial.

Pristines will come from the new daily achievements being added. We will be removing the current, daily-gated bouncy chests that you get per 10-level tier of fractal scale.

Clarification on fractal reward levels/personal scale and farming them.
Your fractal scale will increase with each island. Not the 4 it takes now. You still have to complete a high enough fractal to increase your personal scale.

We aren't changing the requirements for increasing your personal scale. "you still level up your personal fractal level by completing any Fractal level that is above yours"

Yes, you could could farm that, theoretical, level 92 swamp to get your personal scale up to 92. However, just because it's swamp doesn't mean it will be easy to grind from 1 to 92. Level 92 is no joke.

It's more likely that players will advance through chunks of scales. You could farm the next-highest swamp to advance your personal scale, however only the first run will advance your daily achievements. You would be doing yourself a disservice this way.

Someone on the forums mentioned that 50 fractal levels is the equivalent of 12 old fractals

The difficulty curves are being changed a lot. Lower level fractal scales might end up being easier then they are on Live right now, and 51+ is going to be much more challenging. You can't really just divide by 4 and consider them the same anymore. (source)

Most epic moment in my life as a PvPer...

3v1 at keep on Forest of Nifhel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYC-940F-kE
I knew that fight looked familiar. Dude, you posted that back on April 22nd 2015, the last time you posted in this thread.

The game has had incremental graphics upgrades since then. Plus changes to the engine as a whole in preparation for HoT.
Wait, what engine changes? This is news to me. If Heart of Thorns' system requirements dole out 3 configurations (minimum, recommended, and ultimate) with an i7 & GTX 970 in the ultimate category, instead of buying the standard upgrade like I am planning to do I will buy five ultimate editions and giveaway four out here to newcomers.
I dare you Anet, c'mon, do it

Hedge

Just to be clear, the fractal backpiece will be the only legendary back item at launch, or?
The way they wrote the paragraphs together sounds that way.

Also, I wonder - with the difficulty changes - if you can 2-man lower level fractals.

Proven

BIG NEWS! BETA WEEKEND STARTS AUGUST 7TH!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-first-beta-weekend-event-begins-august-7/

Edit: Basic details:

• Stronghold will be open for everyone. Everything else will be for Pre-purchasers only.
  • Beta Character slot. Gives you level 80 character. Progress (i.e. Masteries) for that character will continue into Beta Weekend 2.
  • Shiro will be available for Revenant.
  • The four currently Elite Specializations will be available.
  • Can play in any mode of the game.
  • Verdant Brink will be available, although only the area from the last stress test, which they say is 25% of the map's content. Less new content, and more of a pass of polish.
  • Beta characters only will get to try out the new map bonus system, as detailed previously here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/
  • I need to prepurchase the game by next week.

Jira

Really late blog post...damn heh. I thought they'd announce the BWE date, not do it DURING gamescom. I do think at this point they're going to not only put up a blog of the challenging content during gamescom, but show it off on stage.

Ashodin

Really late blog post...damn heh. I thought they'd announce the BWE date, not do it DURING gamescom. I do think at this point they're going to not only put up a blog of the challenging content during gamescom, but show it off on stage.
What makes me raise my eyebrow is the mention of only two BWEs.

Combined with the rush of getting these out...

You get the idea.

yukinon

*GOALS BEFORE GAME EXPANSION*

-Reach personal reward level 50 (FoTM)

Currently, my personal reward level is 24

I'm posting this here because I am hoping GAF will help me get there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom