• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

swnny

My goal is to save 50Euro to buy the retail/physical copy of the expansion. Kinda steep price for me at the moment. :(

Retro

Really late blog post...damn heh. I thought they'd announce the BWE date, not do it DURING gamescom. I do think at this point they're going to not only put up a blog of the challenging content during gamescom, but show it off on stage.

Content Panels Every Day
You want to know more about Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, and we know it. We’ll be running daily panels shown live through our official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel and the official Twitch channel. We’ll cover topics such as the expansion, community discussion, and the World Tournament Series, and fear not—we’ll be recording these and making them available for viewing afterward in case you can’t make it to the live event. (source)

Not sure if it'll be about new stuff, but they'll be talking about it.

The DnT Condi Ranger build sounds pretty interesting. Supposed to be DPS as good as or better than Berserker.

I also didn't know you could split mainhand and offhand weapons like he does in the video and still swap them for Sigil bonuses, but I don't guess I've ever tried or had a reason to use it.

Quenk

The DnT Condi Ranger build sounds pretty interesting. Supposed to be DPS as good as or better than Berserker.

I also didn't know you could split mainhand and offhand weapons like he does in the video and still swap them for Sigil bonuses, but I don't guess I've ever tried or had a reason to use it.

Neat. I might check this out at some point. I first saw the mainhand/offhand split like that for thieves with the new specializations. They have that trait that triggers on weapon swap (gives them some initiative I think).

Edit: Pernix posted the spreadsheets on reddit: Zerker and Condi

Also, the next beta weekend is on a weekend I have to work :< I may be able to play a bit but not as much as I would have liked.

nataku

BIG NEWS! BETA WEEKEND STARTS AUGUST 7TH!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/the-first-beta-weekend-event-begins-august-7/

Edit: Basic details:

• Stronghold will be open for everyone. Everything else will be for Pre-purchasers only.
  • Beta Character slot. Gives you level 80 character. Progress (i.e. Masteries) for that character will continue into Beta Weekend 2.
  • Shiro will be available for Revenant.
  • The four currently Elite Specializations will be available.
  • Can play in any mode of the game.
  • Verdant Brink will be available, although only the area from the last stress test, which they say is 25% of the map's content. Less new content, and more of a pass of polish.
  • Beta characters only will get to try out the new map bonus system, as detailed previously here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-legendary-journey/
  • I need to prepurchase the game by next week.

Haha, I'm so glad I took the week off.

Proven

What makes me raise my eyebrow is the mention of only two BWEs.

Combined with the rush of getting these out...

You get the idea.

Well, they just said that progress will carry over to BWE 2. That leaves them open for other possiblities.

1. BWE 3 gets announced, and they keep carrying progress over. Basically, they haven't committed to having or not having further BWEs.

2. BWE 3 gets announced, and they don't carry progress over. This would be more similar to what happened near the launch of the game, where they wanted one last stress test-ish play, with everyone starting from level 1 together with a polished beginner zone experience, and gather data on what they do immediately after.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/First-Beta-Weekend/first#post5337539

tpsMqYn.jpg

Spyware

What the what!? Four slots! :D

...but why four? There are four new Elite specs + Rev to try out. And five races. This still makes it extremely hard for me to choose what to try our more of! ;D

I hope we will figure out how much it will require to unlock the elite specs so we can prepare. Is it a thing that takes a long time in the mastery system or are they just unlocked at lvl 80? or do you get them at the same time as the other specializations?
Im conflicted on what I think is the best way. On one hand, giving elite specs after putting in a lot time as a lvl 80 is a nice incentive to want to get to lvl 80.

On the other hand, wanting to be a reaper but not finding the rest of necromancer very fun, would make a player have to spend a lot of time playing a character style they don't enjoy.
I was in a FFXIV beta (checking it out) and it was a very nice game, but wanting to be a Dark Knight you had to reach a very high level just to be able to use that class, and that turned me off as I was not enjoying the visuals or aesthetics of the others.

It's a dilemma and I am not sure what the best solution is. I see pros and cons no matter which way they go.
The same thing with Revernant - Will they allow people to Tome of knowledge-themselves to lvl 80 instantly, thus making the entire levelling process more redundant than it already is?
New players coming in might benefit from veterans going through the motions with the vets and they will benefit from a lot of the existing playerbase not taking their revernants to lvl 80 instantly.
On the other hand, it sucks asking the veterans who might have many, real many lvl 80 characters already and who have explored the world many times to the brim, - should they be punished by this, when they have these Tome of Knwoledge?
An advice I heard was that they could not let Revs use Tome of Knowledge to boost themselves (or birthday booster) in the first two weeks of HoT release.
I think that isn't an ideal solution, to something that will make people angry no matter what Anet does. This one feels like a compromise and not a super satisfying on for either, but still a softer blow than either of the extremes.
Another I heard was that they could make the "change your class" as a way to take an existing high level character and change it into something else (like a Rev).

It's come up a lot over the last 3 years. Whats the point of levelling? what is the point of gating? Many level love levelling, and I personally think the new levelling experience is a lot nicer now. Nice rewards and stuff. Not sure about the gating of features skills/traits/whatever. Lvl 14 to weapon swap still feels weird to me to this day, since it's such an integral part of the system.
Furthermore though it seems that a lot of people never gave GW2 a chance because of the "what was the point of levelling?" so I can see why Anet did what they did, even if I don't agree on all of it.

*ponders*

Jira

NCSoft Q2 '15 earnings

Lineage 1 73.2M
Blade & Soul 25M
Guild Wars 2 19M
Aion 17.2M
Lineage 2 13.8M
Wildstar 1.7M
Others 17.2M
Royalties 17.2M
TOTAL 184.4M

Goal is an official launch of HoT within this year.

The launch is a step by step process with different phases.

It is too early to talk about sales or trends in regard to pre-purchases.

12% increase over the prior quarter for GW2 - nice!

The company saw a 21% earnings increase over the prior quarter, every game except Wildstar saw gains.

Proven

They've already detailed on Elite Specializations. As long as your character is level 80 and you have the expansion related to that Elite Specialization, you get access to the Elite Specialization track through the current Specialization Reward tracks. You drop in your hero points and can unlock the full track instantly if you have enough. That's it.

And yes, you're allowed to boost your character to 80. The whole point of Tomes of Knowledge is to allow boosting for players with alts. There is a chunk of the population that enjoys the leveling experience, however, and I've already heard many plan to level the Revenant through the open world instead of boosting it to 80. I probably will too.

Jira

They've already detailed on Elite Specializations. As long as your character is level 80 and you have the expansion related to that Elite Specialization, you get access to the Elite Specialization track through the current Specialization Reward tracks. You drop in your hero points and can unlock the full track instantly if you have enough. That's it.

And yes, you're allowed to boost your character to 80. The whole point of Tomes of Knowledge is to allow boosting for players with alts. There is a chunk of the population that enjoys the leveling experience, however, and I've already heard many plan to level the Revenant through the open world instead of boosting it to 80. I probably will too.

I'd thought about it and I'm going to level it normally too. My reasoning is I don't want to use Tomes to 80 then have no idea how to play my class in a completely new area of the game.

Are they talking about releasing parts of the expansion in bits and pieces? Or is that referring to them announcing the features of the expansion slowly over time?

If it's the first, maybe something like give Revenant, revamped Fractals, Pact Tyria Masteries, and new Guild stuff first? Stonghold and the WvW map too I guess. Add Verdant Brink and the elite specializations a week or two later. The first challenging group content a little after that. Start Living Story Season 3 a few weeks after that, with more new maps. (I would be okay with not having everything dumped on us all at once if that is what they mean.)

Wanderer5

Lol Siliconera posted a article about the beta weekend, which is weird cause they hardly posted anything about GW2, and never posted anything with HoT till now.XD

Retro

I'd thought about it and I'm going to level it normally too. My reasoning is I don't want to use Tomes to 80 then have no idea how to play my class in a completely new area of the game.

Count me in as part of Team Leveling-like-Turtles-Fuck™, I really enjoy the leveling process in this game and there's no way I'm going to pass up an opportunity to do it with an entirely new class too. I'll probably use a scroll to boost to 20 just so I can save a few hours and get the QoL stuff unlocked, but beyond that I'll just... keep stockpiling tomes for... um... whatever.

Level with Retro and me then

We'll have to see if we can resist the allure of the new high-level stuff at the same time. I have a feeling launch day is going to be "Create a Revenant > Play a little bit > Oh god, guild chat is all excited about the new stuff, I need to go seeeeeeeeeeeee"

Lol Siliconera posted a article about the beta weekend, which is weird cause they hardly posted anything about GW2, and never posted anything with HoT till now.XD

Good that it's getting coverage, shame that it had to take an expansion to get it. The Living Story was much more interesting from a "Can you believe they're pulling this shit off?!" perspective, something no one else in gaming has done before, but I guess it's not a big sexy news story to report.

I also saw this linked on twitter, never heard of Paste before but their write up is really nice; http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/07/tyria-is-a-placeazeroth-is-a-game.html

NCSoft Q2 '15 earnings

Lineage 1 73.2M
Blade & Soul 25M
Guild Wars 2 19M
Aion 17.2M
Lineage 2 13.8M
Wildstar 1.7M
Others 17.2M
Royalties 17.2M
TOTAL 184.4M

Goal is an official launch of HoT within this year.

It is too early to talk about sales or trends in regard to pre-purchases.

12% increase over the prior quarter for GW2 - nice!

The company saw a 21% earnings increase over the prior quarter, every game except Wildstar saw gains.

It's a shame because I really liked Wildstar. I played it for around two months when it was released, but ultimately I went back gw2. It was a great game; challenging pve, great art style, and sense of humor. However, it did have some issue. Their appeal to only the "hardcore" crowd and just serious changes that took too long to fix.

Ashodin

Yeah boosting to 20 is pretty much required.

I took WoW's 7 day free playtime to see how things were now that the last patch is out (and the expac announce is coming)

Took it upon myself to apply a GW2 themed UI because ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

VXm7ow8h.jpg

Wanderer5

Never played WoW either, despite being close to trying out the trial. Would like to play a worgen heh, but otherwise I really have no interests of getting into that game now.

Good that it's getting coverage, shame that it had to take an expansion to get it. The Living Story was much more interesting from a "Can you believe they're pulling this shit off?!" perspective, something no one else in gaming has done before, but I guess it's not a big sexy news story to report.

Eh Siliconera is more so japanese gaming through. They only made three articles for this game, one was a sale from last year, one was about the freaking drum lol, and now this. It just feels out of place there still heh.

It's a shame because I really liked Wildstar. I played it for around two months when it was released, but ultimately I went back gw2. It was a great game; challenging pve, great art style, and sense of humor. However, it did have some issue. Their appeal to only the "hardcore" crowd and just serious changes that took too long to fix.

I never tried Wildstar but it bums me out. If you're a developer and you spend so many years working on something like that, it must really suck that people won't keep taking to it.

Quality of games matter a lot, but at the end of the day, what I remember most fondly about past MMOs (Planetside, GW1 and SWG stand out for me) it was the people I played with. I don't remember that particular mechanic or this or that. I just have good memories of people who were nice to play with.
I think that is what sets MMOs apart. A Co-operative experience build around solving problems in a unique setting... And sometimes that co-operative experience means destroying your opponents in PvP and hear the lamentation of their guild leaders!

Zeroth

I posted this on the Revenant forums, but since it failed to get any discussion, I thought it would be nice to talk about it here, maybe you folks have some input on it. I was thinking in some improvements for the Corruption trait line on Revenant and I came with this following scenario, which seems pretty interesting to me :)

Hey all,

Given the Revenant is in a constant flux of changes and balances, I thought it would be a good opportunity to deal with some aspects related to the Corruption trait line. I noticed that there are some problems on the traits right now that prevent a Mallyx Revenant from branching into different forms of damage and utilization of their traits, given right now there is a very clear, optimal &#8220;route&#8221; for a Mallyx trait build. Rather than nerf trait lines, I thought about making changes on how the lines are organized and balanced to offer more options to condition-based revenants without making it overly powerful. Basically, make you be able to pick different builds for different focuses within the Condition Revenant theme.

First off, let&#8217;s open with the biggest problem with Mallyx: Demoniac Defiance is too important. By important, I mean that there is a no-brainer in the Adept trait line because it is crucial to a Mallyx-focused Revenant by allowing them more breathing room and rewarding playing efficiently with their utilities. So, rather than make it become a Grandmaster or what else, I suggest turning Demoniac Defiance the Minor Grandmaster trait, and add the bonus to Torment duration from Yearning Empowerment (the current Grandmaster minor) to Rampant Vex, the Adept minor. This will allow all Mallyx-focused Revenants to benefit out of it and give more room for Adept traits to show up.

Changes to the Adept Trait line:

Replenishing Despair (Incoming conditions heal you for a small amount, no ICD) is fine, it&#8217;s a much weaker and opposite version of a Guardian GM, Altruistic Healing, which is natural given this is an Adept trait. Some builds like Ventari/Mallyx which have sources of healing can use this healing on top of the active ones to offer additional support.

Venom Enhancement (Poison lasts longer; 50% increase to Poison duration) is what should be looked at. The problem with Venom Enhancement is that although it greatly boosts Poison duration (a 50% increase, bigger than a Thief&#8217;s 33% increase from a GM trait, although said GM also increases poison damage by 10%), the only source of poison in a Revenant skill set comes from the final hit of the auto-attack chain of Mace, Manifest Toxin (a 3 second poison). So, a Revenant that does not gear up for Poison (quite natural, given the only source in Revenant skills is from the final hit of the AA chain and you are better off investing in stuff like Burn or Torment, far more prevalent) is hindered by this particular Adept trait, and a Poison revenant, although greatly boosted by its effect, is incapable of making use of this trait without crippling themselves to specialize on Poison sources. So, a positive change to enable all Revenants to make use of this Adept line is making Venom Enhancement give a lower increase to Poison Duration but also give another source, critical hits. This in particular combos well with Manifest Toxin because if the hits connect to enemies and they critically hit, the enemies will receive both the Manifest Toxin poison AND the Venom Enhancement bonus poison plus their duration. This allows Poison to play a much more active role in a revenant rotation and reward building around it without affecting other possible sources like sigils. Now, I am no mathematician so I will not attempt to come up with numbers to change this, nor will I suggest a trait to replace Demoniac Defiance because I think Roy and his team can come up with far better stuff :)

Changes to the Master Trait Line:

* Bolstered Anguis (Increased damage for every condition currently on you; +3% per condition) is fine where it is, because it provides a +% Damage boost for DPS Revenants and Condi Revenant alike, and the % is big enough to take in consideration that Conditions wear off more quickly than boons (when compared to traits that offer +X% Damage boosts with X Boons).

* Frigid Precision (Chance to chill your foe when you land a critical hit ; 50% chance; 10 ICD, 2½s chill duration) is the more problematic trait, because although it offers a condition that Mallyx by itself can&#8217;t give (Chill, which is more active in Sword main-hand), the duration is far too small to offer significant condition pressure. A change which I feel comfortable in doing is reducing the ICD to 5 seconds, but also reducing the Chill duration to 11&#8260;4s. This change may sound weird because on the long term, it doesn&#8217;t make any difference, but it&#8217;s important because it gives Chill a more active role in Revenant condition rotation and offers more Condition pressure, which seems fitting for the trait line.

* Spontaneous Destruction (Use Banish Enchantment when striking a foe that has boons equal to or greater than the threshold ; 25 ICD) seems ok as it is. I can&#8217;t really comment on it without seeing it being used more, but I think that given Banish Enchantment in this case also provides bonuses from stuff like Demoniac Defiance, I would say it&#8217;s in a good place.

Changes to the Grandmaster Trait Line:

* Diabolic Inferno (Burn nearby foes when using an elite skill ; 10 ICD ; 2 stacks of burn with 4s of duration) was recently buffed so I can&#8217;t offer any feedback on it without playing Revenant again.

* Maniac Persistence (Increase your critical-hit chance every few seconds. This bonus is reset when you land a critically hit ; 2% CC increase with a 1s interval) is pretty much ignored by all because it represents a minimal DPS increase to Condi/Prec builds and the builds with no Prec (Dire and Carrion) tend to not depend on on critical hit effects anyway. This is the only trait where I suggest a full rework to make it more interesting, even though I find the concept pretty unique. So, why not make it offer something all Condition Revenants could use? What if it worked this way: For every 1s interval, if you have a condition, you get 1 stack of Maniac Persistence (+1% Condition Damage boost, 10s duration, stacks up to 10 times, 1 second interval). This is a unique buff because there are no traits at all that offer a flat % increase to condi duration, and this incentives the Mallyx play of putting conditions on you while rewarding you for doing so. It also enables you to not worry about losing conditions (like some people fear about how condi clearing is predominant in organized play and your teammates affect your DPS) because the effect is applied whenever you have a condi, be it 1 condi or 5 condis, every 1 second. A revenant that was cleansed will not immediately lose DPS due to losing their condis (thanks to the 10 second duration on each stack) and can get it back thanks to the Mallyx playstyle of self-imposed conditions, rewarding strategic play. It&#8217;s also worth pointing out this trait greatly benefits all Mallyx builds but does not become a must pick for any other build (like, say, a DPS Shiro that picks Mallyx for condi management and ends up being extra buffed), so although the trait is powerful it rewards playing into condition damage, instead of merely damage.

* Pulsating Pestilence (Chance when struck to copy all conditions currently on you to nearby foes for a few seconds ; 15% trigger chance ; 3s duration ; 15s ICD) is basically the Mallyx Elite, Embrace the Darkness, on a 15s cooldown and a 15% trigger change upon being hit and that can happen while out of the Legendary Demon Stance. I can&#8217;t really comment on its concept, but I think it would be better to rework this trait so that it won&#8217;t resemble the elite skill so much (and on such a low chance to happen in most cases, 15% when hit on a really long ICD). An interesting idea is making this work on a 10s ICD, and happen any time you swap Legends/Weapons. This gives a greater degree of control over this trait and enable strategic play, by punishing a condi bomb when your opponent believes they are safe from it due to you not being in the Legendary Demon Stance.

So, what do you all think?

Mxrz

I don't see tome'ing straight to 80 as not being able to learn the class slowly. Its a way to make levels irrelevant. Being able to start straight off with all the skills and traits is more interesting. Can still start in metric, trying different setups and stuff.

Ideally I'd like to leave the Rev tutorial in full Ascended, but the air breather is going to be a problem.

I am going straight to 80, I can learn the class from there, all my traits will be unlocked after playing for a few weeks I will get a understanding of the class..not wasting my time on leveling Rev..

Mxrz

Dungeon forums are funny.

"We want harder content. Yay! 2 e. z. "
"ANet, you better not do this, that, or anything that means I have to change how I play!"

Good grief.

Retro

You guys are honestly kind of lucky you didn't play WoW. It requires (well, required, I dunno if it still does since everyone just does the watered-down Looking for Raid version of everything) such a time investment that you pick up lots of bad habits, not just for MMOs but gaming in general. Farming is a way you get something specific you want in GW2, in WoW it was basically Tuesday. Maybe mop and wod changed it a bit but pre-WotLK it was grind dailies, grind rep, grind harvesting to craft consumables to raid for a chance for something to drop so you can fight your guildmates for it so you can be ready for when the next raid comes and reboots everything in 5 months.

When people make cracks about getting stuck on the gear hamster wheel, they're not actually joking. Maybe it's different now but that's how it was back in the day everyone seems to pine for.

Eh Siliconera is more so japanese gaming through. They only made three articles for this game, one was a sale from last year, one was about the freaking drum lol, and now this. It just feels out of place there still heh.

Ah, I wasn't aware they were Japanese, that's kinda cool then considering there was never an official launch for non-China parts of Asia (which stands out since it didn't have a launch in Korea where NCSoft is based... though I think they kinda know GW2 wouldn't do well there).

I posted this on the Revenant forums, but since it failed to get any discussion, I thought it would be nice to talk about it here, maybe you folks have some input on it. I was thinking in some improvements for the Corruption trait line on Revenant and I came with this following scenario, which seems pretty interesting to me :)

I read through it and I like your suggestions in so far as the case you make for them, but I didn't spend enough time in Legendary Demon stance to really contribute to the conversation.

I don't see tome'ing straight to 80 as not being able to learn the class slowly. Its a way to make levels irrelevant. Being able to start straight off with all the skills and traits is more interesting. Can still start in metric, trying different setups and stuff.

I'm not doing it so much to learn the class so much as it's an excuse to enjoy the leveling process and see the new Map Bonus reward thing in action. I've been avoiding leveling alts and yet somehow I got my second Ranger to 71 last night.

I've been through MMO expansions before, including ones with new classes. There's no expiration date on new content and the locust swarm will be chewing things up and making things unpleasant for everyone around them. I'm going in with the same Kung-Fu attitude I had at launch; wander the world and do good deeds. The added benefit this time around is the glut of new / returning players to benefit from the last three years of experience.

Dungeon forums are funny.

"We want harder content. Yay! 2 e. z. "
"ANet, you better not do this, that, or anything that means I have to change how I play!"

Good grief.

And people wonder why community managers blow a fuse and post stuff like this on the way out. I'm honestly surprised there isn't a suicide epidemic amongst gaming community managers, never mind that some of them still manage to stay (or at least appear) positive. I can't imagine too many jobs on the planet that are more thankless than herding nerds.

Jira

Poor Tseric, I remember him posting when I played WoW, I had no idea that happened. He's absolutely right though, people don't care because they're anonymous and they think that gives them the right to be assholes and forget that everyone has feelings.

You guys are honestly kind of lucky you didn't play WoW. It requires (well, required, I dunno if it still does since everyone just does the watered-down Looking for Raid version of everything) such a time investment that you pick up lots of bad habits, not just for MMOs but gaming in general. Farming is a way you get something specific you want in GW2, in WoW it was basically Tuesday. Maybe Mop and Wod changed it a bit but pre-WotLK it was grind dailies, grind rep, grind harvesting to craft consumables to raid for a chance for something to drop so you can fight your guildmates for it so you can be ready for when the next raid comes and reboots everything.
It did change. Way more casual friendly now.

#1 reason to avoid WoW is the dated gameplay engine.
The combat, movement, etc. Seriously unplayable for me.

If you want an MMO in-between GW2 breaks, I seriously recommend FFXIV.
Play through the story and dungeons casually. Avoid the endgame grind and you should enjoy it.

It's somewhat a WoW clone, but at least it's current gen.

Jira

It did change. Way more casual friendly now.

#1 reason to avoid WoW is the dated gameplay engine.
The combat, movement, etc. Seriously unplayable for me.

If you want an MMO in-between GW2 breaks, I seriously recommend FFXIV.
Play through the story and dungeons casually. Avoid the endgame grind and you should enjoy it.

It's somewhat a WoW clone, but at least it's current gen.

Hehehehe, don't let Retro tell you what he thinks about FFXIV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom