• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

It did change. Way more casual friendly now.

#1 reason to avoid WoW is the dated gameplay engine.
The combat, movement, etc. Seriously unplayable for me.

If you want an MMO in-between GW2 breaks, I seriously recommend FFXIV.
Play through the story and dungeons casually. Avoid the endgame grind and you should enjoy it.

It's somewhat a WoW clone, but at least it's current gen.

It was definitely headed that way with WotLK, I didn't stick around for more than the week it took to see everything new that was worth seeing in Cata but I've heard it continued the trend after a brief foray into being more challenging (which brought out the pitchforks, double time). It's good that they've softened up a bit on that kind of stuff because when I played any kind of raiding was more of a lifestyle you had to adopt instead of a game. It's just a shame that they didn't keep the good parts intact while they eased up on the crud, I talk to people who still play it and the response is basically "LFR is like Baby's First Raiding and nobody does the real versions anymore". Everything I read about Garrisons was also.... something.

And without starting a big fuss about FFXIV, what I played of it was not enjoyable for me and large parts of the game (especially unlocking new classes, which seemed very alt-unfriendly) were the exact opposite of the things I look for in MMOs. There's more I could say about the combat and questing and such, but I don't see the need to derail the thread for stuff like that. It was pretty in a few places though, I guess, though parts of it are very obviously still made for Playstation 3.

Hehehehe, don't let Retro tell you what he thinks about FFXIV.

Nah, I'm not gonna derail the thread. I think after three years anybody who's been around long enough to want to get into a discussion with me about MMOs knows what my tastes are already and why they just don't mesh with FFXIV. Different strokes for different folks, Meg seems to really enjoy it so it can't be all bad.

Meh the only MMO I would do if I did a break from GW2 would is Phantasy Star Online 2, through... *SOB*;.;

What's the story with PSO2? I read it was being ported to NA, and suddenly everyone thinks it's a disaster... what happened?

Retro

Wait, a WoW community manager committed suicide because of the community? That's messed up.

Nah, people asked about that in the thread I linked to since the post said "RIP", several folks clarified that he didn't. But it's definitely a soul-crushing job where you're the constant target of hate every second of every day over a video game and that's just... not right. If you can stomach it, a fun exercise / way to make yourself sad is to refresh any game's official forums and try to catch the really offensive posts before the moderators scrub them.

Wanderer5

What's the story with PSO2? I read it was being ported to NA, and suddenly everyone thinks it's a disaster... what happened?

Sega just hasn't done anything really regarding a oversea release, and there was a english patch that was made, but anyone from the western countries got IP block.

Quenk

Because Sunday is coming up:

☆ THIS WEEK'S EVENT - SUNDAY AUGUST 2 ☆

Event #2 - Caudecus's Manor

Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

Required Character Level: 45
Required Zone: Queensdale

All dungeon runs will take place after the completion of Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions (~4:30 PM EDT). Events should be expected to take no longer than two hours.

These events are intended to be rather casual, and they will be very new-player friendly. Players of every experience level are encouraged to participate, so please invite anyone who you think would like to join.

Retro

Sega just hasn't done anything really regarding a oversea release, and there was a english patch that was made, but anyone from the western countries got IP block.

Gotcha, I was under the impression it had been released in the west but I guess not. Just Sega being Sega, I guess. Kind of a shame because PSO was amazing and I think I'd jump right in if it was properly supported.

Ashodin

Apparently a lot of GAF didn't know about the strawberry patch

bwu4Scg.jpg

Glad to show you!

In the same night, I did CoE 2/3 before reset and then Fractals 38/50, Arah 4, HotW 1, CoE 1/2/3, SE 1/3, TA F/Up, CoF 1, and AC 1/2/3 after.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Taffer

In the same night, I did CoE 2/3 before reset and then Fractals 38/50, Arah 4, HotW 1, CoE 1/2/3, SE 1/3, TA F/Up, CoF 1, and AC 1/2/3 after.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I was basically asleep during that fotm run. Not out of boredom or anything, just standard barely awake-ness. Loads of mistakes but I don't recall any terrible fearing, you know I'm not paying attention when I don't mis-fear anything.

nataku

I don't know when, but at some point ANet improved the Ultra shadow render distance setting a ton. It's looks like it's nearly twice the render distance of High, when it was only a marginal improvement before. It looks so much better to not constantly see this line in front of your character where shadows switch from static to dynamic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looking forward to missions tonight, I missed you guys!
12% increase over the prior quarter for GW2 - nice!
That's pretty substantive. I wonder if they're banking on a Christmas release for HoT...

I think I'm the only one in this guild who has never played WoW, and that makes me the best member of this guild.
Never touched it. My roommate freshman year was really into it during the phase I was playing GW1 constantly. Every time I looked over at his screen from mine it seemed like he was just sitting there, not even touching the keyboard, while his flying horse or something took him somewhere...

Ashodin

We'll actually have Hawkian? I thought he didn't play any more

Never touched it. My roommate freshman year was really into it during the phase I was playing GW1 constantly. Every time I looked over at his screen from mine it seemed like he was just sitting there, not even touching the keyboard, while his flying horse or something took him somewhere...

Exact scenario. I Was the WoW guy however and not in college, but knew someone who played GW1 during.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm feeding my sister's dogs (half my family is still in europe), won't take long to get back but don't wait for me to get started. I promise I'll be there!

Retro

Guild Missions went very smoothly, thanks for coming out everyone!

Makeup Missions are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific. Makeup missions will be followed immediately by our second Dungeon Event in Caudecus Manor;
☆ THIS WEEK'S EVENT - SUNDAY AUGUST 2 ☆
Event #2 - Caudecus's Manor
Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

Required Character Level: 45
Required Zone: Queensdale
All dungeon runs will take place after the completion of Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions (~4:30 PM EDT). Events should be expected to take no longer than two hours.

These events are intended to be rather casual, and they will be very new-player friendly. Players of every experience level are encouraged to participate, so please invite anyone who you think would like to join.

For each full party that completes a given week's dungeon run, five gold will be added to a raffle from which one participant's name will be drawn. So if five parties complete the event, you have a chance at winning an extra twenty-five gold! The more people who show up, the more money you can win!
Thanks again to UltimateIke for getting everything organized.

Gamescom begins Wednesday, August 5th. ArenaNet will be on-hand to talk about Heart of Thorns as well as the World Tournament Series Player vs. Player championships. Daily panels will be shown live through the official Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel and the official Twitch channel

The Beta Weekend Event starts at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific on Friday! You must have pre-purchased Heart of Thorns to participate.

Busy week ahead!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Been wondering why Superior Sigil of Air is popular. I mean, the lightning strike has a bit of a long waiting time.

Been wondering why Superior Sigil of Air is popular. I mean, the lightning strike has a bit of a long waiting time.
Sigil of air has a higher damage coefficient than fire, so more spike damage. You can also use a major and a superior sigil since they have separate cooldowns.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sigil of air has a higher damage coefficient than fire, so more spike damage. You can also use a major and a superior sigil since they have separate cooldowns.

Ahh so if I put both major and superior in a weapon it has a chance to do 2 lightning strikes? sweet

Proven

So, bad news. I can't make today's dungeon run through Cadeus' Manor. I'm going to try and prioritize next week though; I really want to go through Twilight Harbor with you guys.

Quenk

Welp, I just put in my preorder for HoT, mainly cause I kinda want the character slot now. When do they give you the slot?

The "veteran player" free slot gets rolled out on a weekly basis. The free slot from the higher tiers of the pre-purchase should show up within a few hours.

My 6th Legendary done, Kudzu...this one was slow pace took 3 months to get Gift of Fortune, I really had no plans to make one, was prepping for HoT, but once i had the Gift of Fortune i decided to make Kudzu, Pre cost me 100g in the Forge, my the best Forge pre was 3 random exotic from SW with a mystic stone, got The Lover, sold it to make Sunrise..

One pic for now, gotta take some better pics so you can see the Sylvari holding the trident.

Wanderer5

So, bad news. I can't make today's dungeon run through Cadeus' Manor. I'm going to try and prioritize next week though; I really want to go through Twilight Harbor with you guys.

Won't be able to either =( , but I look into checking out with TA next week too.

If you ever get tired of Greatsword+Axe/Mace Warrior, Condition Warrior is pretty mean right now too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvtGM-zmk1s

I only had 10 Might at the end, so if I could have kept it higher longer, that bleed damage would have been huge.

It's not as useful in a party as the Phalanx Strength build, but if you have two Warriors, I'd recommend this as a great way to keep from stepping on each other's toes.

Rolled a necro last night, officially giving me one of every class. Dropped a book and scroll on it to get to lv 25.

Interesting class so far, though, I'm still getting the hang of playing it. The new leveling and stat system is kinda weird, but definitely better then the semi achivement unlocking skill tree.

Any ideas for pve builds?

Phazon

NCSoft Q2 '15 earnings

Lineage 1 73.2M
Blade & Soul 25M
Guild Wars 2 19M
Aion 17.2M
Lineage 2 13.8M
Wildstar 1.7M
Others 17.2M
Royalties 17.2M
TOTAL 184.4M

Goal is an official launch of HoT within this year.

The launch is a step by step process with different phases.

It is too early to talk about sales or trends in regard to pre-purchases.

12% increase over the prior quarter for GW2 - nice!

The company saw a 21% earnings increase over the prior quarter, every game except Wildstar saw gains.

Did the conference call state that or where did you read/hear it?

I feel bad that I don't have any pictures of either of my parties so far.

Thank you again to everyone who came this week! Next week should be easier than today, not that anyone really seemed to be having much trouble, so we'll have a nice break before taking on Aetherpath the week after.

Sonicbug

I want to officially thank those of you who dragged my butt back through Path 2 after I crashed the first time right at the cutscene at the end. (Yay, mac eternal beta client! My main source of fear about buying into the expansion!) I should have taken a screenshot of that crash error.

It's a good thing I had the mumble muted because the words flying out of my mouth after the "NO!" scream were... yeah.

You guys rock though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom