• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Dead thread or the calm before the not that exciting Masteries news?

There's stuff we could talk about but nothing we can draw any conclusions from. The names of all the Fractal Masteries were seen in a blurry offscreen screenshot yesterday but it may as well be in Greek.

Robert Gee jumped into the Necro forums to calm the salty froth but the only real detail he posted was Reaper Shroud skill #2 may get a projectile block effect.

Rubi tweeted about a POI for new Legendaries being in development, but not for this week.

Waiting for news out of Gamescom where there are 3-4 hour queues to play the HoT demo. You can watch the stream but honestly we'll be playing it Friday so I'm okay waiting.

Otherwise the new screenshots were posted and the "new feature" announcement isn't until Saturday.

Edit: They said HoT absolutely will release in 2015, but I think we all kind of knew that, right?

Stuff is happening like crazy all week but I assume most people know where to look and don't need it reposted here.

Spreading my 2016 prediction on reddit can not continue anymore.

I never doubt it that it would come out this year.

When they say "revealing a new feature" does this mean something's completley new that was not covered in the reveal at PAX south or basically the last feature that they haven't talked about, "challenging group content"?

Also a big thing that no one is talking about is the interview on main twitch channel where they made it very clear that GW2 is "the living world game" and that Living World will definitely continue. My hope is that month after game comes out LW season 3 starts to come out. I also do not need LW season 3 to automatically move us towards the next dragon/expansion, I would love it if it had its own self contained story about a mystery in the expansion or a race that we didn't learn much about in expansion.

Retro

When they say "revealing a new feature" does this mean something's completley new that was not covered in the reveal at PAX south or basically the last feature that they haven't talked about, "challenging group content"?

Here's what their event site says;

Saturday, August 8, 18:00 CEST (UTC+2) - The Heart of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns
ArenaNet developers take the lid off the progression-system changes coming with the expansion, showcasing the depth and breadth of the system and revealing all-new features. This panel is intended for existing players, and the content will be in English.

There's also some PVP-related info coming too; https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3fmezm/guild_wars_2_at_gamescom_2015/ctqbo6o

Also a big thing that no one is talking about is the interview on main twitch channel where they made it very clear that GW2 is "the living world game" and that Living World will definitely continue. My hope is that month after game comes out LW season 3 starts to come out. I also do not need LW season 3 to automatically move us towards the next dragon/expansion, I would love it if it had its own self contained story about a mystery in the expansion or a race that we didn't learn much about in expansion.

I hadn't seen that one, got a link? It was the interview with Leah Hoyer, right? Either way, that's good news but, again, something I think we all knew (if only because they spent time getting the Story Journal set up, something Zeroth pointed out a while back).

As far as the actual story goes, Jira and I were just talking about that last night and we kind of came to the conclusion that the Personal Story (both in GW2 and HoT) should be the big, massive "Bash the Dragon" campaign, while the Living Story focuses on the smaller, character-driven stuff. In other words, you play through Heart of Thorns to fight Mordremoth, but you play through the Living Story to help Braham find his mother or whatever. The big expansion story can paint the big broad strokes while the Living Story can handle the tiny, intimate details that make the world feel... well, living. The big war effort doesn't feel like the right place for finding out who Caithe really is or Marjory and Kasmeer's relationship or Taimi growing up; those are small moments. The cool thing is that the Living Story can fill in the details of what's happened and drop clues about what's to come. For example, if Eir died at the end of Season 2 like everyone thinks (Braham has been shown with her bow, setting the stage for Dragonhunters), then there's an awesome story potentially waiting to be told with Braham going down a dark path to get revenge on the dragons (it fits the elite spec's name), maybe setting things up to head North for a kickass Norn / Kodan / Jormag expansion. And what's cool about that is, it helps to bridge the gap between expansions (assuming they do another one) in a way that no MMO has done before. All of WoW's expansions were basically "... and then another bad guy showed up!" for example.

I grew up on RPGs where you saved the world, and that stuff is cool, but I also know that just telling a good story about the game world without a lot of epic bombast can be a nice change of pace too. If the Living story is all about making the world of Guild Wars 2 feel alive, that's awesome.. and exactly what's on the label.

Zeroth

Late october early november is my launch window. Still have some BWE to go and I think that fits perfectly. I cant see december, or at least I sure hope not.

Jira

October 28th 2015.

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/2015/0...ry-system-takes-you-from-canopies-to-crafting

Masteries article, new info there probably.

Wow, does this mean they will use living world to complete the story of Heart of Thornes?

This was always my expectation. I didn't expect we would kill Mordremoth in the base HoT release. We may not even see him in full.

As for the Mastery stuff, people are already butthurt on the amount of Legendaries which for me, I don't have any at all so they'll add more before I will even finish the first 3. As for Mastery levels, I'm cool with it taking the same amount of time to level another character, good news is that it's account wide (I'm sure someone will complain about that). Very interesting about the Fractal challenge modes.

As long as they keep up with adding more Masteries and Legendaries reliably throughout the LS, then that's cool. As people said, it seems like Legendaries now are going to tie heavily into the Lore/Story versus Disco Ball mace.

Why the hell would you not expect to even see Mordremoth in the expansion. That is an absurd expectation even for you Jira.

Why even do an expansion about a Dragon if we aren't going to even see him.

We don't know exactly what will be in the expansion, I think it will be a lot more than people speculate, story wise. Especially with them hiring new Narrative Lead.

Just got the email about prepurchase gets access to beta weekend tomorrow

We’re excited to announce the first Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns™ Beta Weekend Event! This event will start at noon Pacific Time (UTC-7) on Friday, August 7 through noon Pacific Time (UTC-7) on Monday, August 10.

Pre-purchase Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns now, to get access to this event, as well as all future beta weekend events prior to the launch of the expansion. Check out our announcement blog post for more information on content available to play over the weekend!

Mxrz

I like how any news just makes some folks angry. Rawrgh. Not what I wanted. I want this. You dumb. Rawrgh.

Anyway. 1-80 wasn't exactly speedy without wvw k-trains, dungeon swaps, Living World events (Queen's Gauntlet farm, wee) Queensdale train, etc. was it? I'd rather XP grind not become a thing. During one of the first betas I managed about 3 points in 3-4 hours. That seemed okay to me. Content being behind these things is something they have to take into consideration. Verdant Brink without any Gliding or Mushroom jumping started wearing thin.

I'd probably favor any LS leading to the next retail release. Season 2 worked well. It built up a dragon we knew nothing about, and touched on a lot of older lore. Its also a lot longer then I realized when playing from start to finish. That's a huge chunk of content we got.

Proven

Colin replied to a post a couple hours ago saying that elite specs will have their own icons, but it's not hooked up for BWE1.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3g1gz2/dumb_thing_to_be_excited_about_from_the_bwe/
I was actually hoping for them to be in as seeing the newly designed icons would be a cool treat. They're the official shorthand representation of each new elite specialization. nstead, we still wait.

I like how any news just makes some folks angry. Rawrgh. Not what I wanted. I want this. You dumb. Rawrgh.

Anyway. 1-80 wasn't exactly speedy without wvw k-trains, dungeon swaps, Living World events (Queen's Gauntlet farm, wee) Queensdale train, etc. was it? I'd rather XP grind not become a thing. During one of the first betas I managed about 3 points in 3-4 hours. That seemed okay to me. Content being behind these things is something they have to take into consideration. Verdant Brink without any Gliding or Mushroom jumping started wearing thin.

Note that if it's anything like the last PvE event, then the deal is that each level in a particular Mastery will cost more and more. It still takes about an hour of gaining Mastery XP to get a Mastery Point, but each Mastery track requires a number of points to unlock the next level. So the first few levels in the major content related ones (mushrooms and gliding primarily) will only take one Mastery Point each. Some bonus vendor with exclusive armor to show your dedication to following a single mastery to the very end might cost something like 20 points total to max out a track of 4-7 different items.

Basically, if it's necessary, it'll be cheap. If it's content as a trophy or something high end, then it'll be expensive. If it's something like the ign article mentions, where you summon a miniboss fight for you and anybody nearby, that could be near the end of the track, and if there's one for each track everyone could specialize at the beginning, but unlock everything by the end. Of course, that scenario makes it more guild specific, but if it's something that's near impossible to solo then it's not inherently a bad thing, I feel.

Quenk

For beta people: don't forget to put your AR equipment in your bank before the beta starts if you're planning on trying out some fractals.

Elfstruck

Hmm after updating to win10, my computer now experiencing some weird problems. Just fixed the sound problem, now the computer is turning on by itself. Any idea how to fix it?

I did the upgrade to 10 from 7, and it was a disaster. Reformatted and did a clean install of 10, it's flawless except for farty sounds when loading GW2 or shutting down the PC.

Levyne

Banned
I had to reset my default audio devices in my various programs, in some cases I had to specify the specific device even if it was the same device as the default and should have made no difference.

No issues with my computer randomly turning on.

Only thing I can suggest with GW2 specifically if youre overclocking your GPU, you may have to turn down that. Even if my card runs stable with a specific overclock everywhere else, I have to turn it down for guild wars. I'm talking manual overclock not factory.

Ashodin

Don't seem to have the audio problems you guys are having either. Update those drivers and make sure that you have any "extra" audio devices disabled or turned off.

Spyware

I've used Win10 for over a week and I have no issues. I do have the "pop" or "spark" sound when I start a game that someone mentioned and have no idea how to fix that, but it's not a big deal at all.

Anyways, beta! Biggest surprise is necro greatsword being... not slow. It's not worse than some other normal weapons. Feels great, looks great. Chronomancer looks sooooooo good.

nataku

I ended up doing a complete reset on my PC and started installing things, then testing GW2. Come to find out it's EVGA Precision X doing it. Whenever it's running it crashes within minutes, when it's not things seem fine. I'm not really sure what to do, because I need that program to control my GPU fan and keep the thing cool.

I guess I'll just keep trying older versions of it. Maybe one will work.

Jira

Awww yeah

vNMZJex.jpg

nataku

Whew, at least I think I got that solved. Seems like the newest version of that program was the problem. Rolled back one version and all seems well.

Shiro is really good for Revenant. The new skills and traits, along with swords, do so much to improve the class since the last beta.

Also, I love Reaper. It may not actually be the greatest thing, but I am going to have a lot of fun with it now and when the expansion finally releases.

Mxrz

DH - longbow skills pretty good. Trueshot hits like a truck. Traps aren't terribly useful. Maybe better in WvW where you don't need 3 meditations to survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom