• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm *very* impressed with the encounter design, and monster AI, of what I've seen so far in the HoT beta. Things are a lot more responsive, and need creative approach, especially the enemies that dodge, blink, and evade. If the beta is just a taste of what the full expansion will have, I'm really, *really* excited for it.

Hey guys, what's the cheapest this game has gone on sale for? I miss GW1, and I think I wanna buy a copy.

Not right now though, cause I'm broke. Just wondering when would be best to buy it.

Levyne

Banned
Hey guys, what's the cheapest this game has gone on sale for? I miss GW1, and I think I wanna buy a copy.

Not right now though, cause I'm broke. Just wondering when would be best to buy it.

10 dollars, but now the expansion is going to be tied to the base game . As in purchasing Heart of Thorns will give the base game included. The expansion is 50 dollars.

I'm really wondering how they will handle rollbacks giving the beta characters are on live servers.

I mean, they give you like, three full sets of exotics. Which you can then throw into the forge to get stuff, or break down into mats, etc. How are they going to keep track of all this?

Jira

I'm really wondering how they will handle rollbacks giving the beta characters are on live servers.

I mean, they give you like, three full sets of exotics. Which you can then throw into the forge to get stuff, or break down into mats, etc. How are they going to keep track of all this?

Beta doesn't carry over in any form. It's a copy of your account.

Nothing from BETA carries over in any way.

Jira

I can clarify this a bit. If you waypoint away before something dies and it dropped loot, you won't immediately get it. If you return to the area, you will get the loot as soon as you can see it. It will basically pick up all loot you can see.

The exception is WvW, since loot bags always spawns at your feet. If you waypoint, the loot will spawn at your location and should get immediately picked up.

If your inventory is full when something drops, it will be left on the ground and you will have to pick it up manually after you clear out some space.

Edit: Unrelated note while I'm here, that purple star is placeholder (I reused the living story quest marker while I wait for the art request). It should have its own icon at some point.

Bummer, I linked my GW2 account to GW1 account on arenanet, and now I can't login to GW1 anymore. I sent in a ticket. I wanna play it again.

Jira

Colin just posted:

We said the jungle is made up of those layers, not that all maps have all three :) These maps are huge, but I don't want to give the impression it's more than it is.

There's an entire layer underneath Verdant Brink that isn't in yet too.

Quenk

Oh, interesting, didn't realize that.

Think i'd get banned from beta if I say, rolled 32 beta characters and forged all their exotics, to get a bunch of precursors for beta play?

You wouldn't get banned for that. You'd just be wasting your time. The skins won't get added to your account, you can't sell them or keep them after the beta.

Oh, interesting, didn't realize that.

Think i'd get banned from beta if I say, rolled 32 beta characters and forged all their exotics, to get a bunch of precursors for beta play?

Waste of time, you can throw 1000 weapons into the forge from the beta characters get 5 pre and can't do anything with them, you put the item in the bank and it doesn't show up for you other characters, only BETA..

You wouldn't get banned for that. You'd just be wasting your time. The skins won't get added to your account, you can't sell them or keep them after the beta.

I know, just wondering about the RNG, and if any new exotics show up that I hadn't previously seen.

It should be an identical log in

It's not working. The GW2 account was just for the free weekend awhile back. The email for the GW1 account isn't working anymore. The login info is correct because it's how they got linked, and the info for the GW2 account isn't being recognized at all.

No idea what to do. Waiting for a response.

So after playing some pvp, DH is alright. Traps are ok at best (excluding Dragon's Maw, that one is pretty good). It's hard to get a viable build with them. The bow I actually like. True Shot hits extremely hard (+5k crits on light targets), Hunter's Ward is also very powerful. Using the bow with a medi build works well enough. Overall I like the bow but I feel it needs some tweaks, however the traps and traits are lacking atm.

But this is early impressions, only around 20 games with it.

Ashodin

Yeah I feel like the DH traits are very lackluster. They do a serviceable job, but they don't feel like they synergize well with the other Guardian traits.

Wanderer5

Lol I was already aware, but man my char is chatty in story.XD The new area looks pretty cool, and yay Rev Charr made.:p I work on Rev more for wvw tonight, and tomorrow I'll check out the Chronomancer.

Also Attack of the Groots.

Proven

Did anyone link the german article about the Mastery System from yesterday? I know it's going to have the same details spelled out tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone else on GAF saw the early screenshots and translations.

Retro

OT is dead when everyone is playing instead of posting.

Reaver is a blast, not crazy about the shouts but so far it's fun.
Revenant with Shiro is fun too.

I have to hit Chronomancer and Dragonhunter up this weekend. Maybe Ele if I delete a character.

Did anyone link the german article about the Mastery System from yesterday? I know it's going to have the same details spelled out tomorrow, but I'm curious if anyone else on GAF saw the early screenshots and translations.

News to me, I didn't see it.

Jira

Could I get a show of hands how many people are in the beta and are going to be able to play tomorrow (Saturday)? I want to be able to push the night time meta event as far as possible. From what we can tell, as soon as nightfall happens, you have to be at the Pact camps prepared and ready to defend them. If they're destroyed when nightfall comes, as far as we can tell, you cannot repair them. It may be a bug and that they are repairable, but for the time being we only have one option. So I'd like to get as many people together to defend as many of these points as we can in order to push the night time meta forward. Obviously, this cannot be tested if no one puts forward the coordination to do so.

Wanderer5

Thank god they added weapon swap for Rev.Tested it out again for WvW with a guild rally tonight, and I continue to really dig the usage of the Drawf and Centuar stance for a group environment. Staff is feeling much nicer now with the damage buff, and I take liking to Mace/Sword with dat blast, fire field, and a defense skill. Overall I think this might end up being a new WvW main. I probably try it more with a DPS output and check out more of the new map with it.

Mxrz

The vinetender event is frustrating, random people just come along and wack low health ones out of synch. Managed one burn in about 25 minutes.

Reaper dmg seems a bit low. Ascended zerk, scholar runes. Other than Shroud #5 with its huge cool down, nothing hits hard or all that fast. Still far from optimized. Using all shouts (all traps) just to get used to them instead of an optimal setup with the new weapons.

I like the thought of challenging open world content. Finding a way to have the relative difficulty of a dungeon boss out in the open world without it being a zerg situation would be something.

Jira

The vintender meta is bugged. What people don't seem to understand is that you need to kill the giant vine up top with the mortars so that you can snipe the tenders below. There's a reason that the tenders are on a ledge that you really can't get to without doing awkward crap. So because the huge vine up top is bugged, it stops progress of the event below. Essentially every meta chain in the zone is broken right now and they're going to need to patch it today or there won't be much testing done for content.

Also, Reaper is SO damn good that I may make it my main holy shit.

Wallach

Had some time to check out Reaper for myself tonight.

I really like what they've done with Reaper Shroud. Good skillset, feels very powerful, wonderful animations. Definitely the most polished aspect about the spec. The RS 2 could use a little massaging I think; I'd rather either it stop forward movement on target connect or just be faster as a fixed-distance dash. Pretty much all of the other buttons are great, though.

Not really sure what to think of Greatsword. It seems like it has decent buttons, but I was surprised to find it does pretty bad damage. Base damage does not look proportional to the animation times at all. Gravedigger in particular for being some kind of supposed capstone skill in the weapon set is pretty unimpressive relative to its activation time. The damage per hit is solid but even if you're hitting a low health target the actual DPS is almost surely not advantageous to dagger 1 unless you're 3+ targets (especially due to how important attacks per second wind up being with traited Might stacks, nevermind LF considerations). It's... sort of decent at being a setup weapon for Reaper's Shroud swaps, but I don't know if in that context it would be better than doing something like D/F + S. GS 4 is probably the only button in the weapon set that felt in a good place. GS either needs to hit a hell of a lot harder, faster or be a significantly better LF generator or something. I'm not sure I would use it as it stands, which bums me out a lot.

Reaper traits are sort of a mixed bag. Chilling Nova (or whatever the chilling explosion trait is) seems to have been nerfed into booty sweat status as of this build, which in turn felt like it did a lot of damage to the chill-focused line concept. Opportunity cost of stacking chill uptime currently seems too high without that being more dependable. The GM traits almost feel like they are swapped with the Master traits (the last one doesn't seem to function period, but even if it were I don't think it sufficiently justifies the tier compared to something like the 2% crit per Vuln Master trait). The top-most GM trait is probably the only one I think deserves to be in that tier right now.

Shouts will probably get the most iteration between now and release; I quite like the heal, and the buff shouts will be solid if they come down slightly in case time. The one that summons Jagged Horrors needs help; it probably needs to create unique minions or something, Jagged Horrors are simply too wack for this to be enticing. Unblockable shout seems like some PvP stuff so I didn't pay much attention to it. Ult shout seems really neat, but I'd like to see either the activation time or CD change (or maybe both, as things stand). Shout trait seemed a little questionable to me; I'd like to see it also get a second affix or made to scale off a lower number of targets maybe. Needing 3 targets to get roughly the same reduction as a normal CDR trait without a second bonus didn't strike me as great value.

My short time with it so far definitely gave me pause. I don't really feel like doing this dance for another 3 years or whatever with Necromancer where they're a very fun class to look at and play but never really hit satisfying marks in either effectiveness or role.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Caved in and bought black lion because why not I have 2500 gems.

I put a lot of spare dyes in bank but some have been taken, so go get them while they're there!

Proven

WTS has been live since 4AM EDT (noon CEST) http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

They're up to the finals right now, TCG vs. Orange Logo. Second match on Temple of the Silent Storm. I'm rooting for TCG.

Edit: I'm not going to be able to play much until tomorrow, because of all this other time sensitive gaming stuff I want to touch on. But tomorrow, after the dungeon run...

Edit2: It wasn't the finals!?

Morokh

My short time with it so far definitely gave me pause. I don't really feel like doing this dance for another 3 years or whatever with Necromancer where they're a very fun class to look at and play but never really hit satisfying marks in either effectiveness or role.

I don't know about that, the spec definitely feels great to play, but all it really brings to the table is huge amounts of cleaving, and a bit of stability so far.
I don't know if that will completely shift the status of the class where it's viewed as lacking or weak.

As far as events are concerned, is it even possible to go past the sniping event with Laranthir, and past the Itzel village event with the larvaes ? cause they seem to bug there every time.

I really don't like Hammer for Rev, I feel like the auto attack should be at least 15-20% faster the start up is brutally slow, I love Staff and Sword Melee, still testing Mace and Axe, As for stance only tested Shiro and Dwarf, more testing today..

Quenk

Apparently the feature announcement is supposed to be before the WTS finals. I think loser's finals just finished.

http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Edit: Colin was the one that mentioned it in twitch chat.

Edit edit: The new feature is PvP leagues. The new legendary backpiece is going to require some league play?

Morokh

Edit edit: The new feature is PvP leagues. The new legendary backpiece is going to require some league play?

Seemed to be another one the way he said it.

But that surely was one of the worst announcements they did as they had nothing to show of it .....

Zeroth

This change is pretty big for the PvP scene. Those who didn't have much incentive to improve now have something to work towards and be paired with people with similar skills. I picture the rewards will be as good too

Wallach

Damn, The Abjured absolutely crushed Orange Logo from the loser's bracket. Must have felt good to give that back to them.

Anno

Messed around with DH and Reaper a bit. Both need some tweaks but otherwise seem like a nice change of pace. DH auto-attack projectile feels like it needs to be a bit faster, and I really hope they take the cast time off of Virtues. That'll be super weird to get used to. I like the feel of the Reaper and it seems incredible while in Shroud, but outside of that I feel greatsword needs a few small buffs either to damage or lifeforce accumulation. Maybe if Gravedigger gave a few % for every enemy it hit. Shouts seem pretty neat but are another thing I'll have to get used to having a cast time.

Retro

Reaper dmg seems a bit low. Ascended zerk, scholar runes. Other than Shroud #5 with its huge cool down, nothing hits hard or all that fast. Still far from optimized. Using all shouts (all traps) just to get used to them instead of an optimal setup with the new weapons.

I can second this; the various abilities feel great but they just aren't "there" yet in terms of damage and impact. I feel like as slow as their skills are they should be hitting a bit harder and I've seen some comments about Life Force generation that I agree with. The auto attack needs a little, I think. Someone on Reddit also mentioned that Gravedigger only hits once even though the animation looks like it's hitting twice.

GS#5's hit detection or pathfinding or something is really, really off though, most of the time it straight up didn't work. Seemed to be mostly on slanted surfaces.

Shouts are alright. "You are all Weaklings!" can throw out 20 might stacks on the spot if you hit 5 targets, but it only lasts 5 seconds.. still pretty scary-looking though which I guess is the theme. The elite shout is amazing but a bit of a long CD for my tastes. Maybe less targets or shorter duration, I feel like shouts should all be short CDs by default but... it is an elite and pretty damn impressive.

I learnt today that I'm not good with roller coasters.

I'm terrified of heights but I forced myself onto the best coasters at Cedar Point just so I could say I rode them. That was enough for the rest of my days, coaster wise, and most of the ones I went on were or still are considered some of the best.

The RS 2 could use a little massaging I think; I'd rather either it stop forward movement on target connect or just be faster as a fixed-distance dash.

Yeah, right now it's acting like a "Plow through groups" ability which might be their intent but the lack of a leap / gap closer on Necro is noticeable (especially when their pulls don't work).

Gravedigger in particular for being some kind of supposed capstone skill in the weapon set is pretty unimpressive relative to its activation time. The damage per hit is solid but even if you're hitting a low health target the actual DPS is almost surely not advantageous to dagger 1 unless you're 3+ targets (especially due to how important attacks per second wind up being with traited Might stacks, nevermind LF considerations).

Gravedigger doesn't cause more damage to low health targets, it just refreshes faster. I had to look at that too since I was wondering why it wasn't hitting harder on nearly dead enemies.

I think that article was more about the map rewards system. I can't find the link now though.
This one?
I really don't like Hammer for Rev, I feel like the auto attack should be at least 15-20% faster the start up is brutally slow.

I'm pretty sure they either increased the damage or the attack speed of Hammer since the last beta. I think they've said they want it to be slow but hit hard, so I imagine if it gets improved much it'll be damage-wise.

Rapid Laceration trait, with Relenting Assault, and Impossible Odds for Rev(Shiro Stance) is god like DPS..

Something we found in dungeons last night that may have been an overlooked benefit; popping Impossible Odds to revive a downed player is an amazing little trick.

I mean, was it too hard to put together a video showing the small bits of footage of the system to show during the tournament ....

ArenaNet purposely holds stuff back to throw to various gaming sites; we've seen them let IGN and Ten Ton Hammer drop news stories early (both with incorrect information) before their blog posts go live. They're obviously trying to reach a wider audience by getting news out there.

Hey guys! I'm going to try and get back in, MIGHT make a new character, not sure, but I'm going to get back into GW2. ^_^

As for Heart of Thorns, the only thing I really know about it is that it's going to take place in Maguuma. Is there like a big trailer video or anything that might convince me to think about getting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom