• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
☆ THIS WEEK'S EVENT - SUNDAY AUGUST 23 ☆

Event #5 - Sorrow's Embrace
Story Path and Explorable Path 1

Required Character Level: 65
Required Zone: Dredgehaunt Cliffs

All dungeon runs will take place after the completion of Sunday Guild Make-Up Missions (~4:30 PM EDT). Events should be expected to take no longer than two hours.

These events are intended to be rather casual, and they will be very new-player friendly. Players of every experience level are encouraged to participate, so please invite anyone who you think would like to join.

For each full party that completes a given week's dungeon run, five gold will be added to a raffle from which one participant's name will be drawn. So if five parties complete the event, you have a chance at winning an extra twenty-five gold! The more people who show up, the more money you can win!

We will be thinking of small bonus challenges each week to announce randomly during the events, which will award more prizes, so be ready for those too!

☆ CURRENT EVENT SCHEDULE ☆

#1 - July 26 - Ascalonian Catacombs
Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

#2 - August 2 - Caudecus's Manor
Story Path and Explorable Paths 1/2/3

#3 - August 9 - Twilight Arbor
Story Path and Explorable Forward/Up Paths

#4 - August 16 - Twilight Arbor
Explorable Aetherpath

#5 - August 23 - Sorrow's Embrace

August 30 - PAX Prime
*BYE WEEK*

#6 - September 6 - Sorrow's Embrace
Explorable Paths 2/3

#7 - September 13 - Citadel of Flame

#8 - September 20 - Citadel of Flame
Explorable Paths 2/3

#9 - September 27 - Honor of the Waves

#10 - October 4 - Honor of the Waves
Explorable Paths 2/3

#11 - October 11 - Crucible of Eternity

#12 - October 18 - Crucible of Eternity
Explorable Paths 2/3

#13 - October 25 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 1/2

#14 - November 1 - The Ruined City of Arah
Explorable Paths 3/4​

*DATES ARE NOT FINAL UNTIL THE WEEK OF THE EVENT AND MAY BE RESCHEDULED IN CASES OF UNFORESEEN CIRCUMSTANCES*

☆ DUNGEON MASTER CHALLENGE ☆

Any guild members able to attend all dungeon paths will be eligible for an even split of an extra two hundred gold prize! The fewer people who complete this challenge the more valuable your dedication and hard work becomes, so don't give up!

In the potential case that no one was able to show up for all of the paths, a reduced reward will be given to the guild member(s) who managed to attend the most weeks. So it's still worth giving it a try, even if you know you'll miss some weeks!​

Zeroth

One thing I realized about revenant is that, despite Corruption being a condi trait line associated with Mallyx, Mallyx itself is not a condi output legend, but a condi management one. Shiro works much better with condi builds because Impossible Odds doubles your condi output (at some points I had 2k ticks of torment on still targets), while Mallyx is a legend you'll take when you are suffering conditions.

Funny enough, I see Corruption+Mallyx being used in PvP because condi play is more predominant, but in PvE condi builds will probably use Shiro.

Looking forward to see how Glint plays out and its traits. It might be the best legend to go along with a DPS rev.

I took the survey and responded with my thoughts about Dragonhunter.

Revenant is in a great place right now imo.

I'm actually very interested in Rev. In my view, it's a very high skill ceiling profession, one of the highest, if not the highest. I find it extremely intriguing, I wish more classes were like this. Also I really like the general design and concept of the class. Guard will probably always be my main just because it was my first class and holds a special place in my heart. However, I found DH to be somewhat underwhelming. So, I see myself playing Rev mostly when HoT launches. Plus it's nice that it's heavy, so all my gear from my Guard can just be used on it.

Ashodin

Despite the issues with Dragonhunter, I think I've come up with a fairly decent build that combines Retributive Armor for toughness with the damage I need to be able to kill stuff.

Comes out to 50% crit, 200% crit dmg, 3k toughness, 2400 power... it's pretty good I'd say.

Add to that 20% extra damage from unscathed when staying ranged (or blind blocking in close) should be pretttttty interesting.

Despite the issues with Dragonhunter, I think I've come up with a fairly decent build that combines Retributive Armor for toughness with the damage I need to be able to kill stuff.

Comes out to 50% crit, 200% crit dmg, 3k toughness, 2400 power... it's pretty good I'd say.

Add to that 20% extra damage from unscathed when staying ranged (or blind blocking in close) should be pretttttty interesting.

I'm sure there are good builds when it comes to DH, but I'm still really underwhelmed by it. Keep in mind this is mainly coming from a pvp and wvw point of view, since that what I play a majority of the time. The bow is decent, I like it a lot actually. It needs some tweaks, but overall I'm pleased with it. Guardian really did need another range weapon, scepter doesn't cut it all the time, and staff isn't really a weapon more of a tool. I also like the new virtues.

So it's comes down to the traps, which are a huge problem. If you run traps you're not going to have condi clear (you could trait AR in virtues, but that's about it). Guardian already have the lowest health, so this is extremely problematic. Next you won't have sustain, Guards usually will take either MF or AH for sustain. Obviously MF doesn't work because you're not using medi. Furthermore traps really don't have anything to do with boons so AH will be limited to the weapons and virtues. I'm sure I could make a viable build, however this build wouldn't accomplish anything a meta build wouldn't do. As for traits, there are some decent ones, however the synergy is horrible.

Personally it seems like when they were making the class they completely forgot about pvp/wvw and just made it pve focused. But enough of my ranting!

Mxrz

I thought the traps made it more wvw than anything. Roam, setup ambushes at camps, that sort of thing. Can't see giving up stability/reflects on in pve. The dmg made it a bit of a dud in pvp, but not having 3 meditations is a death sentence anyway. Although the elite wasn't too shabby.

Retro

Big thanks to Apple, Ike, Shiz and Zeroth for wrapping up the last of my Aetherpath achievements and showing me what to watch for when we go in there as a guild on Sunday. Hopefully we'll get a few more people their Mini Clockhearts.

Ashodin

So looks like a q&a with Crystal Cox came out and she basically said no new fractals with hot. That's a shame.

Edit: it was said that after release the fall of abaddon fractal might happen :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's really a shame. As much work as fractals must be they have a huge replay value for pretty bite-sized content in comparison to something like a living story mission.

Zeroth

I assume no new fractal due to all the current ones being tweaked for the new format.

Thats fine by me, just hope we'll see future fractals (in november we'll complete two years since the last new fractals were added).

Rawk Hawk

No new emotes, no new fractals. Game is dead

"Challenging group content" better be $#%&ing good

I was going to make a joke about Captain Mai Trin here, but when looking it up on the wiki I learned: "Dancing during the fight heals the player by about 3.2% of their total HP."

What?! That's interesting, and likely old news.. but I didn't know that.

I'm particularly looking forward to today's PoI as I need clarification on the Herald's build. I think I more or less understand it but seeing it in action and within context will really help. I need to figure out if this or Jalis is better for defense. Right now I'm assuming I'd go Shiro/Jalis when running solo and then swap Jalis for Glint when doing a dungeon or fractal but that second shield skill sounds pretty awesome for solo protection so it might still beat Jalis. I have to see this stream and then revisit the Jalis skills. Also looking forward to seeing the new trait line!

Man, I need to figure out the best way to get good weapons for my Rev and probably for my Mes for Chrono build. I'm assuming the best method is to just craft, right? If so, when I'm ready to go for Ascended level, I need to figure out if I'm going to get Weaponsmith or Armorsmith to 500...

Proven

I'm sure there are good builds when it comes to DH, but I'm still really underwhelmed by it. Keep in mind this is mainly coming from a pvp and wvw point of view, since that what I play a majority of the time. The bow is decent, I like it a lot actually. It needs some tweaks, but overall I'm pleased with it. Guardian really did need another range weapon, scepter doesn't cut it all the time, and staff isn't really a weapon more of a tool. I also like the new virtues.

So it's comes down to the traps, which are a huge problem. If you run traps you're not going to have condi clear (you could trait AR in virtues, but that's about it). Guardian already have the lowest health, so this is extremely problematic. Next you won't have sustain, Guards usually will take either MF or AH for sustain. Obviously MF doesn't work because you're not using medi. Furthermore traps really don't have anything to do with boons so AH will be limited to the weapons and virtues. I'm sure I could make a viable build, however this build wouldn't accomplish anything a meta build wouldn't do. As for traits, there are some decent ones, however the synergy is horrible.

Personally it seems like when they were making the class they completely forgot about pvp/wvw and just made it pve focused. But enough of my ranting!

Out of five skill slots, it's not fine to slot in just one or two traps? I dunno, I just see it as playing a ranger, where your damage mitigation comes from blocks and gap enhancers. F2 can be used to jump away and if you're running meditations you can take every meditation but the one that brings you to an enemy, two of which are focused on condi clear. Combined with knockback/cripple traits and with, say, the immobilize from Scepter or something you should be able to at least kite decently 1v1. Traps are there just to be another kiting tool, especially the elite. And then you're not forced to run traps anyhow...

I was going to make a joke about Captain Mai Trin here, but when looking it up on the wiki I learned: "Dancing during the fight heals the player by about 3.2% of their total HP."

What?! That's interesting, and likely old news.. but I didn't know that.

We actually tested this last week, it's a lie :(

Zeroth

Glint is very good, it has some awesome group support. A really solid legend and the shield skills are NEAT (5 is meh but 4 is pretty nice). I'll be very happy with Shiro/Glint

Ashodin

Glint is very good, it has some awesome group support. A really solid legend and the shield skills are NEAT (5 is meh but 4 is pretty nice). I'll be very happy with Shiro/Glint

Guardian looks at his shield with shame,
facepalm.gif
Revenant runs away happy with it
yolo.gif

Jira

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...anges-Based-on-BWE-Feedback/first#post5382354
Legendary Centaur Stance
The outgoing healing traits were not working with many of the skills in this stance which led to it being much less impactful than intended since you can get an incredible amount of outgoing healing in the Salvation trait line.

Fixed an issue where the skills for this stance were not working with the outgoing healing bonuses.

By the way that new shield/sword skin and armor set was sick.

Zeroth

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/revenant/Revenant-Changes-Based-on-BWE-Feedback

These buffs are insane. All of them are great but I'll highlight the ones I like the most:

Staff:

Debilitating Slam: This skill will no longer apply weakness, instead it will daze foes it hits for 0.5 seconds. Decreased number of targets from 5 to 3 and increased the cost from 10 energy to 15.
Renewing Wave: This skill is now a blast finisher.

Awesome buff to staff. The Daze is a great CC control and the blast finisher on Staff allows a revenant to blast finish on melee while using swords.

Sword

Unrelenting Assault: Increased the damage by 30%. This skill will now evade while your character is preforming this attack.
Duelist’s Preparation: Fixed an issue causing this skill to not block for the intended duration. Decreased the recharge from 15 seconds to 12 seconds.

Unrelenting Assault still keeping the 450 range is a bummer, but the evade more than makes it worth it and balances it. Sword block on a 12 second CD is pretty good too.

Shiro

Enchanted Daggers: Reduced the time interval between the time an enchanted dagger is trigger and the next one from 1 second to 0.5 second.
Riposting Shadows: Reduced the cost from 35 energy to 30 energy.
Phase Traversal: This skill can now be used on a target out of range to close the distance similar to how Infiltrator’s Signet on thief works.

All these buffs are great, Phase Traversal in particular really needed that buff and now it's insane.

There are many more buffs, but all of them please me greatly. Revenant is in a really good spot now.

Tell me bros, tell me! I can't watch at work :( What are the highlights that look awesome to you?

The synergy of Glint with other Legends is great, and the effects will make Revenant really good on group content.

Ashodin

Yeah fucking Staff is buffed to high heaven now, I LOVE IT

edit: I wanna see the receipts of the other elite spec changes anet, do it

oh shit, they made the heal on staff have an evade tied to it? fuck yeah

Zeroth

Yeah fucking Staff is buffed to high heaven now, I LOVE IT

edit: I wanna see the receipts of the other elite spec changes anet, do it

oh shit, they made the heal on staff have an evade tied to it? fuck yeah

No, the dodge is on the 5 skill. The heal is now a blast finisher

usea

I did my first BL key run today. I did renown hearts all the way to 10 to see what it was like. I bought blue power gear ahead of time (level 6, a few 10), with runes and sigils. I didn't know where all the hearts were, but I gave it a shot anyway. It took an hour and a half lol. I'll try again later, maybe with crafting to speed it up depending on how expensive that is.

Ashodin

No, the dodge is on the 5 skill. The heal is now a blast finisher

EVEN BETTER

So awesome.

I did my first BL key run today. I did renown hearts all the way to 10 to see what it was like. I bought blue power gear ahead of time (level 6, a few 10), with runes and sigils. I didn't know where all the hearts were, but I gave it a shot anyway. It took an hour and a half lol. I'll try again later, maybe with crafting to speed it up depending on how expensive that is.
key farming will be easier when the new pact commander mastery comes out. Account-wide crafting booster (plus town movement speed)

Herald sounds great! Definitely gonna need a ninth character slot now, but not before I finish The Juggernaut.

Thinking of the Revenant, and the recent balance changes reducing the cooldowns of some elites, I've been wondering about the implications of being able to use your elite slot as a fourth utility instead. It seems Anet wants every character to have an elite skill, but would an extra utility instead really be too powerful? I think it would create some diversity, but I'm not really thinking of any specific examples.

Zeroth

Herald sounds great! Definitely gonna need a ninth character slot now, but not before I finish The Juggernaut.

Thinking of the Revenant, and the recent balance changes reducing the cooldowns of some elites, I've been wondering about the implications of being able to use your elite slot as a fourth utility instead. It seems Anet wants every character to have an elite skill, but would an extra utility instead really be too powerful? I think it would create some diversity, but I'm not really thinking of any specific examples.

Classes with not so useful elites would become pretty strong, so I don't see a reason to do so. All classes are balanced keeping the 3 utility aspect in mind, and allowing 4 utilities could break some classes.

Classes with not so useful elites would become pretty strong, so I don't see a reason to do so. All classes are balanced keeping the 3 utility aspect in mind, and allowing 4 utilities could break some classes.

Thinking of Elementalist, who has underwhelming elites but great utilities, I see your point, but are these 'weak' elites really intended to be so by Anet? I suppose that running all four utility cantrips as Ele would be extremely powerful, though.

Ashodin

Posting these for Wallach:

Thanks to everyone who posted feedback on the reaper from this last BWE. I spent a lot of time during the weekend reading over as many posts as I could both here and on reddit and taking notes. I noticed a few trends show up that I’d like to try and address before the next BWE and I wanted to let you know about some of the changes that I’m working on.

Greatsword cost/payoff ratio was undertuned

The original intent here was to make GS feel like more of an AoE weapon while dagger felt like more of a single target weapon. We tuned the damage ratios accordingly so that Greatsword would have higher dps vs 3 or more targets as we didn’t want to devalue dagger as a melee weapon. However this didn’t account for the difficulty of actually hitting with Greatsword skills, and when we took that into account it made sense to increase the damage multipliers on the core damage skills. There are some other QoL changes made for Greatsword as well which I hope will improve your experience with it in the next beta test.

• Greatsword Auto Attacks – Fixed incorrect range facts. These attacks have the same range as normal Greatsword Attacks. Added Lifeforce gain to all hits 1/1/3. Increased damage of all attacks by approximately 20%.
  • Fading Twilight – Adjusted animation speed to smooth out attack sequence for non-human rigs.
  • Chilling Scythe – Increased chill duration from 1.5s to 2s.
  • Gravedigger: This attack now has 100% recharge when it hits a foe below 50% health. Increased damage by 50%. Increased recharge from 5s to 8s.
  • Death Spiral: Increased range from 170 to 220. Increased width of cone by 33%.
  • Nightfall: Changed animation. This skill no longer roots you to cast. Removed camera shake.
  • Grasping Darkness: No longer poisons and instead inflicts chill for 4 seconds on hit. This skill now fires at your target instead of using your facing direction. This skill will no longer fire if your target is behind you.
Grasping Darkness is a very complex skill under the hood and integrates programming and art in a very specific way to work the way it does. As a result, changes that would be simple for another skill (like giving it increased range) are very difficult and require coordination from multiple disciplines. I’ve made a few changes that I believe are safe for this BWE that changes the skill to be enemy targeted instead of using your facing direction. We’ll be keeping an eye on this one to see if it needs further tuning in subsequent beta events.

Shouts are weak and feel clunky to use in combat

We were concerned about the possibility of instant damage spikes and trying to emphasize the slow thematics of the specialization when we made these skills. After seeing how things worked out on Tempest we think it’s safe to lower the cast time of these skills as the “slow” theme can be expressed through other methods like Greatsword and reaper’s shroud. As a result, many shouts have had their cast times significantly reduced. Additionally I’ve moved some of the reward for hitting multiple targets with these shouts to be baseline, so they should feel a little better when there are less foes around. Also, new minion type for “Rise!”

• “Chilled to the bone!”: Reduced cast time from 2s to 1.25s.
  • “Rise!”: This skill is now unblockable and instant cast. Damage increased. Now creates a shambling horror for each foe hit which lose health every second. These minions place Dark Bond on their master when they hit with attacks which causes 50% of the damage from attacks on the master to be redirected to the minion.
  • “Suffer!”: This skill is now instant cast. Lowered damage. Increased chill from 2s to 3s
  • “You are all weaklings!”: Now grants 5 stacks of might baseline plus 3 per target hit.
  • “Your soul is mine!” Increased healing power attribute multiplier to 0.5. Now grants 5% Lifeforce baseline plus 3% per target hit
Reaper Shroud 2 has targeting/control issues

Sounds like a lot of you guys accidentally ran off of cliffs with Death’s Charge :p so we’re changing this to be more like the Warrior Sword skill Savage Leap. It will no longer go through targets you have selected, but will go its full distance if you have no target. Because it does very little damage while dashing I’ve allowed it to continue hitting even when you hit walls, we’ll be watching this next BWE to make sure it doesn’t turn into another Fiery Greatsword Rush though. Reaper Shroud has also has a few other general usability and bug fixes.

• Reaper’s Shroud Auto Attack – Fixed skill facts interaction with Unyielding Blast and Reaper’s Might traits.
  • Life Reap (Shroud 1c) – Increased Lifeforce gain to 1.5%. Fixed bug with number of targets not being listed.
  • Death’s Charge – Now dashes to a target, rather than in a direction. No longer passes through your target. No longer stops hitting if the player hits a wall.
  • Infusing Terror – Fixed a bug which caused this skill to begin recharging while it was still giving stability.
  • Soul Spiral: Reduced recharge from 40s to 30s. Fixed number hits skill fact to show 12 hits. Fixed duration skill fact to list 3s duration.
  • Executioner’s Scythe – Made adjustments to hitbox to make the initial attack more reliable. The hitbox for the primary attack is now the entire area of the ice field (still only hits 1 target).
  • Reaper’s Onslaught: Fixed a bug which prevented the attack speed modifier on this trait from working properly. This trait no longer recharges Death’s Charge on kill, but instead recharges all shroud skills by 5s on kill.
Chill uptime is difficult to maintain

It seems like we went overboard with how much we limited chill in the last update and you guys are having a hard time applying this reliably. We’re going to tune this up for the next BWE primarily through traits as well as some small increases to baseline chill on skills.

• Chilling Nova – Reduced ICD from 15s to 10s.
  • Shivers of Dread – Fixed a bug which caused this trait not function while downed. Increased chill duration from 2s to 3s.
  • Cold Shoulder – Fixed a bug which caused this trait not function while downed. Increased chill duration modifier from 10% to 20%.
  • Deathly Chill: Doubled damage values.
Finally here are some things that won’t be changing and why:

• Augury of Death – I heard a few good suggestions to make some of the recharge bonus on this trait baseline, however due to the way this trait is set up it’s a little complicated to do this and have the skill facts match up. Along with the other changes made to shouts I’d like to leave this alone for now and see how the other changes affect its value.
  • Soul Eater – Similarly to Augury, this trait is heavily influenced by the current power of Greatsword. It sounds like it’s a little weak right now, but I’d like to see how the other changes to Greatsword affect the weapon before modifying this one.
These changes are all in iterative development so it’s possible that there will be more changes, less changes, or different changes from the ones listed here when the next BWE rolls around. This is just a snapshot of the changes I’m working on now.

Jira

I hope we see the same posts for the other elite specs. Do we know if there's a dev like Roy and Robert for Chrono/Temp/DH?

Dead

well not really...yet
Glad they listened to feedback on Reaper. Can't wait to try it again.

edit: Fuuuuuuuuuu, they nerfed Illusionary Reversion on Chronomancer

nataku

Interesting snippet from further down that thread:

We have a tech solution in the works CC effects like slow, chill, cripple, etc on defiant creatures. I don’t want to say too much about it since I’m not sure when it will ship or how much it will change before then but we do want your traits to work on bosses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom