• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Good lord at those Reaper GS changes. I didn't think it was *that* bad.
GS was flat out bad. It wasn't strong enough to offset how slow it was, and wasn't fast enough to offset how weak it was.

Glad to see they are also looking at how chill stacks. Was nigh impossible to keep that shit up with the recent nerfs.

Still no hope for a Dragon Hunter revamp? They thing is still the soar eye to me. The name, the lore is what annoys me the most, but it just doesnt look like something that belongs with guardian. The longbow skills look fine, but the theme seems mixed up. Like they didn't know what they could have done!

Wouldn't Templar, Crusader, or something like that have been better. Hell, Herald sounds much more like a Guardian thing than the Rev Elite spec.

Jira

Still no hope for a Dragon Hunter revamp? They thing is still the soar eye to me. The name, the lore is what annoys me the most, but it just doesnt look like something that belongs with guardian. The longbow skills look fine, but the theme seems mixed up. Like they didn't know what they could have done!

Wouldn't Templar, Crusader, or something like that have been better. Hell, Herald sounds much more like a Guardian thing than the Rev Elite spec.

Class revamps are, IMO, out of the question 2-3 months from launch.

Retro

Templar and Crusader both also have religious connotations; Guardians are not Paladins, despite the similarities. They don't belong to any kind of holy order, they're just defense-oriented magic knights.

I am not crazy about "Dragonhunter" as a name personally, but I can see the angle; the best defense is a strong offense, and going out and hunting down your enemy is one way to do that.

The gw2 wiki describes it as thus:

The Dragonhunter name was inspired by medieval witch hunters. Guardians consider themselves protectors of the innocent, and the dragonhunter faction believes justice is the eradication of dragons and their minions

Makes sense honestly.

Wallach

Dude may as well have been responding to my post in this thread. Really glad to read that. Thanks for posting here, I definitely wouldn't have seen it.

Proven

I guess I'm weird because I like the idea and lore angle they were going for with Dragon Hunter and how it marks with an early step in the elite specialization process that Guardians are not simply Paladins. Even choosing to go with traps as the utility of choice is like a middle finger to the pigeonholing of Guardian idealization. My only worry is that there will be hardly anything to the in game lore and NPC activities that support Dragon Hunters. At the very least, there should be some type of small organization going around with the same loftily stated goals as the Vigil, but a little more vicious. They would exist as a group of Dragon Hunters in the same way that a Thieves Guild is a common fantasy trope. They could even be a group making their own way into the jungle, "to do what the Pact could not," that we could run into through various open world events.

Morokh

Good lord at those Reaper GS changes. I didn't think it was *that* bad.

Most people were too busy being blown away at how flashy and cool the new reaper shroud looked and felt compared to the base class, but yes there was more than a couple of issues, which seem to have been adressed, so that's a good sign.

Curious if the changes to chill will actually make it feel better, and if the change to LF generation will have sufficient impact, but for the rest, looking forward to test it again.

Retro

I guess I'm weird because I like the idea and lore angle they were going for with Dragon Hunter and how it marks with an early step in the elite specialization process that Guardians are not simply Paladins. Even choosing to go with traps as the utility of choice is like a middle finger to the pigeonholing of Guardian idealization. My only worry is that there will be hardly anything to the in game lore and NPC activities that support Dragon Hunters. At the very least, there should be some type of small organization going around with the same loftily stated goals as the Vigil, but a little more vicious. They would exist as a group of Dragon Hunters in the same way that a Thieves Guild is a common fantasy trope. They could even be a group making their own way into the jungle, "to do what the Pact could not," that we could run into through various open world events.

Yes to all of this; so far we've only seen the Pale Reavers as a group (which is Sylvari-exclusive) but the Pact is basically shattered so it makes a lot of sense for there to be a bunch of different factions in the jungle, maybe not fighting but not unified. We've seen 25% of one zone, of which there are at least four, some with multiple layers. My guess is, we'll see something like a Dragon Hunter organization show up (and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a bit of story tied to Braham).

Anno

Most people were too busy being blown away at how flashy and cool the new reaper shroud looked and felt compared to the base class, but yes there was more than a couple of issues, which seem to have been adressed, so that's a good sign.

Curious if the changes to chill will actually make it feel better, and if the change to LF generation will have sufficient impact, but for the rest, looking forward to test it again.

Yeah don't get it twisted, it needed plenty of changes. Just surprised as how many it got and how quickly. Gravedigger especially could be crazy now.

Ashodin

I seriously doubt any of this will happen. Anet doesn't care about adding profession specific content to the game, rather, they just incorporate the professions as if they were a trait of the characters that people in the world go "Oooh ok. (Talks about something else)". You see it with Rytlock in the story beta. Rox asks what Rytlock is doing and he just goes nevermind that keep fighting!

:/

Dead

well not really...yet
I seriously doubt any of this will happen. Anet doesn't care about adding profession specific content to the game, rather, they just incorporate the professions as if they were a trait of the characters that people in the world go "Oooh ok. (Talks about something else)". You see it with Rytlock in the story beta. Rox asks what Rytlock is doing and he just goes nevermind that keep fighting!

Yould could almost say that Rytlock doesn't have time to explain why he doesn't have time to explain

Ashodin

They just don't care honestly. There's tons of cool lore and profession identity they could reinforce, it's just not there.

I mean, we have three orders and they could have had like a daily quest system from them or something. Instead they just serve as backdrop for story.

Jira

I really think in that case it's a matter of it being time sensitive and he'll explain later when it's more appropriate.

Ashodin

I really think in that case it's a matter of it being time sensitive and he'll explain later when it's more appropriate.

In that sense, a lot of shit is time-sensitive in the story - there's no time for downtime at ALL because there's Elder Dragons. Can't explain how this mesmer shit works, I just use my mind and EHHHH TOO LONG HOLD ON THERE'S THIS PORTAL

Gets my lore spots all in nerves man.

Jira

I even liked the personality system too, and they ripped that out. :/

Let's be honest, the personality system was something they designed and never fleshed out. It had no purpose other than 3 dialog choices that all resulted in the same outcome. Was there any proof that NPCs reacted differently to you?

Ashodin

Oh I meant I liked it as a concept and I wished it was more fleshed out. These type of mechanics help a player endear themselves to the world in a way that they feel "lived in" rather that they just "play in".

Retro

Must have been a terrible guild mission event.

Heh, jumped right into another TA Aetherpath practice run with Ike, Jira, Levyne and Zeroth, then poked around in Starbound until it was time for bed. I didn't even check GAF before I went to sleep. =p

ded guild

Pre-Expansion lulls are the worst and can snuff out guilds pretty easily. I actually lost a good guild waiting for WotLK (and the people who were left quit after it launched with one revamped raid they had all done a couple years earlier when it was actually hard). Turnout for missions last night was pretty normal though, and the buy-to-play nature plus the guild being part of a larger community on GAF means people still follow the game even if they're not playing.

By the end of this year we're going to have to figure out where to put everyone, at least for a couple of months during the surge. We'll have GAFers sleeping on hangers in the closet.

Thorgal

Not to mention that it is now summer with lots of people on vacation or people who are just enjoying the warm weather outside .

I am pretty sure that once temps drop again and it freezes hard enough to turn your privates blue the numbers will rise again.

Damn, I blew all my gems on character slots and a bank expansion. Apparently there's going to be an anniversary sale? I would have bought those anyway, but I probably could have squeezed something else in.

spiritfox

Damn, I blew all my gems on character slots and a bank expansion. Apparently there's going to be an anniversary sale? I would have bought those anyway, but I probably could have squeezed something else in.

There's no confirmation, but they did it last year, do hopefully they'll do something this year.

Retro

Guild Mission Makeups in 1 hour.

Hopefully the anniversary gives us some sales. I want to get makeover kits and stuff.

Yeah, I could use one or two of those and a name change contract since I'm planning to poach my Guardian's name for my Revenant.

Not to mention that it is now summer with lots of people on vacation or people who are just enjoying the warm weather outside.

That too, after so many years of playing MMOs you kind of get used to summer being 'off' for a lot of people.

I only log in to GW2 for teq, karka and dailies sadly

You should come to Missions. /wink

Levyne

Banned
screenshot86961_crsgmbzx.png

Had a near perfect run of Aetherpath, only a tactical wipe at the clock so we could get a fresh go into it and the post dungeon stuff. Even got all of the achievements :D

(mostly :p)

Thanks to Yoscitsune, Cotuit, Tech, and Shizune (not pictured) for a really smooth run.

Retro

Crap, I forgot to grab a screenshot for my group. Ah well, thanks to Dragonfly, Hypnotoad Quenk and Tyliout for the smooth run. That's a tough path and we did really well on it.

Sonicbug

Had a near perfect run of Aetherpath, only a tactical wipe at the clock so we could get a fresh go into it and the post dungeon stuff. Even got all of the achievements :D
(mostly :p)
Thanks to Yoscitsune, Cotuit, Tech, and Shizune (not pictured) for a really smooth run.

I really wasn't expecting to hit all the achievements on a single run, especially on a dungeon I'd never been in before! Thanks again wonderful party people!

Thank you to everyone who came for Aetherpath! It's a very difficult path to coordinate, so having four parties beat it at the same time is pretty exciting.

Anyone who missed any of the achievements should try to find me on nights after reset. We can get people together to do the path a few more times.

Wanderer5

That was a awesome time! I sure I can find time to do another aether run in the next couple of days so I can get that last achievement heh.

Retro

I ended up snapping a quick picture while Ike was explaining things:

Oh nice, even got my ugly mug front and center! And I've never seen that Mini before with the scarf and panda hat... oh wait. =P

Anyone who missed any of the achievements should try to find me on nights after reset. We can get people together to do the path a few more times.

Count me in if these groups need to be filled. I'm not good enough to lead an achievement run, but I can certainly help out.

so you play the game ~90 minutes a day? not bad.

I do the same, when i am bored, my game time is 70mins total some days, 40mins spent AFK in Sparkfly, 12-15mins for Teq, I kill Maw since his chest gives rares, my daily instance, sign off, and come back at 6mins before Queen kill her and sign off.. my actual play time is less than my AFK time at Teq lol..

Spyware

That run was amazing! :D

Got a bit lightheaded at the end there and didn't really understand the final boss tactics until we were actually in the fight (and almost wiped, but we saved it!)

Lovely group, interesting dungeon and lots and lots of cheevos :D Thanks everyone <3

I completely forgot about Eetherblade path today, I bought an Xbox 360 from a friend for $40, since I am PC gamer bought a bunch of games ain't on PC, I am going to finish the fight(stole that tag) Got Halo 3, Reach, and Halo 4...plus Red Dead Redemption, and Star Ocean 4.. all 5 dollars each used, cheap gamer and proud.. :)

Wanderer5

That run was amazing! :D

Got a bit lightheaded at the end there and didn't really understand the final boss tactics until we were actually in the fight (and almost wiped, but we saved it!)

Lovely group, interesting dungeon and lots and lots of cheevos :D Thanks everyone <3

Ha ha yeah it was like falling apart big time at that last fight, but thankfully we were able to get through with it without restarting.:p

Spyware

Red Dead Redemption
Great choice! I need to replay that one soon.

Ha ha yeah it was like falling apart big time at that last fight, but thankfully we were able to get through with it without restarting.:p
Yeah I thought we had to start over multiple times during that fight (might have been faster actually xD) but someone always just barely survived and managed to res :D

Edit: Stayed in Aetherpath to take screenshots. I ended up with quite a bunch I liked!

Elfstruck

I completely forgot about Eetherblade path today, I bought an Xbox 360 from a friend for $40, since I am PC gamer bought a bunch of games ain't on PC, I am going to finish the fight(stole that tag) Got Halo 3, Reach, and Halo 4...plus Red Dead Redemption, and Star Ocean 4.. all 5 dollars each used, cheap gamer and proud.. :)

You are in for a treat. Halo 4 and Reach are pretty good, same with RDR.

Heading into the fifth week, there are currently seven people still eligible for the Dungeon Master prize. So you're all looking at about a 28.5 gold split.

Not an insignificant amount, but there's still a long way to go!

Going by what we've learned from the first four weeks, the original schedule has been altered so that each of the remaining dungeons will have paths divided between two week periods. These dungeons each contain a few paths that can be slightly more challenging or unforgiving than others, so we want to make sure everyone is given enough breathing room to keep from stressing out over getting finished quickly enough to move on to the next thing.

It might also give us more time to come up with special challenges again and do other explorations within the paths.

Morokh

Screenshots
Shoot ! I knew I forgot to do something !

That was fun although I had a bit of a hard time sometimes listening to someone explaining the next encounter we had not reached yet, while some NPC's were talking , while we were clearing mobs at the same time @_@!
But it all turned up alright in the end.

Zeroth finishing those last 3-5% of the final boss alone like a champ being my personal highlight :D

The dungeon itself wasn't half as bad as some made it out to be, and I'll gladly run it again.

Now I have to sort-out which dungeon paths I've done and which I haven't because the achievement panel + dungeon reward tracks don't seem to give me an accurate picture, wish there was a beter way to track that.
I'm usually missing one path which is Story but for some of them it's not story and I cant remember which paths I've done or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom