• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
im ready for, uh, druid

screenshot10927_cr2swdaty.png

Ashodin

Most likely the double whammy of challenging content (I'll eat a quaggan if they call it raids) and release date. You don't have MOB there for nothing.

I expect a live demonstration of the content as well.

nataku

I'm really curious what it will end up being. I know a lot of people are expecting raids, but judging by Wildstar that's not a very good path to go down. I can't seem them simply being hard 5 mans, either. That's dungeon and fractal territory.

Spyware

Massively OP! What a huge step up in quality that preview is <3
So happy it's shield like most thought. With them changing Tempest and the odd art I was scared we wouldn't get shield after all. Then I would have to re-shuffle a bunch of character looks again. But no worries now! My sylvari Rev can keep her amazing Jade shield <3

Zeroth

I'm really curious what it will end up being. I know a lot of people are expecting raids, but judging by Wildstar that's not a very good path to go down. I can't seem them simply being hard 5 mans, either. That's dungeon and fractal territory.

Raids were problematic in Wildstar due to the aspects and challenges to get to them, plus several other issues. GW2 can work fine with raid-like content.

As for the Herald, I'm looking forward go it. The facet mechanics sound close to what I originally expected, and the legend itself complements all others nicely. Now I just want to know what the traits are like.

Jira

So The Herald is somewhat what I expected with throwing out boons/support since that was all that's left. The mechanic of it is a surprise, will need to see how that works in action to understand it though.

Also, Mike and Colin being back on stage together means it's going to be big. I do think they'll announce a BWE2 date but not the release date since they said they won't release until they're happy with BWE feedback.

Ashodin

They really dropped the ball on Dragonhunter and tempest. Both are pretty lackluster in comparison to the Reaper and Chronomancer. Now even the Herald steps all over the guardian. :/

Proven

Hey guys, just want to mention two things. First, the ESL Go4 GW2 Monthly is today, and the EU tournament is happening right now. http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

Second, the Call Of The Mists buff is active right now. Anyone that has extra PvP Reward consumables from dailies should pop them now.

slash3584

Guys I want to buy some HoT pre order codes (Amazon EU) for some friends that are on Brazil.

Is there any limitation that could prevent them to use those codes on their accounts?

Jira

They really dropped the ball on Dragonhunter and tempest. Both are pretty lackluster in comparison to the Reaper and Chronomancer. Now even the Herald steps all over the guardian. :/

I disagree about Tempest, it's really fun playing support. I mean it's not insanely unique but it certainly serves a purpose out in the open world and even more so with new fractals/challenging content. Tempest aura spec with heals on auras is really fun IMO. As for Dragonhunter, it seems like the most flawed spec. I don't think it synergizes with the other traits well.

Zeroth

Guys I want to buy some HoT pre order codes (Amazon EU) for some friends that are on Brazil.

Is there any limitation that could prevent them to use those codes on their accounts?

As far as I know, no. GW2 codes at least arent regional locked, but I dunno if the same applies to HoT code upgrades.

Ashodin

I disagree about Tempest, it's really fun playing support. I mean it's not insanely unique but it certainly serves a purpose out in the open world and even more so with new fractals/challenging content. Tempest aura spec with heals on auras is really fun IMO. As for Dragonhunter, it seems like the most flawed spec. I don't think it synergies with the other traits well.

Which leads me to believe they knew they wanted the Longbow for ranged, but didn't think hard enough on how to execute.

Morokh

Still no news on Thief Elite Spec? Welp, back into hibernation.

Seeing how I want to make mine a Charr and how I disliked the staff animations on a Charr Revenant, I'm suddently way less looking forward to this one ..... which once-again puts all my plans for my remaining characters on hold xD

You can though? Other people use their tickets and sell the skins on the trading post. The Gallant skins were barely 70g there for a while.

Retro

I really wish you could just buy black lion weapons. The whole thing with the claim tickets is absolute BS.

If there's skins I want, I put in a buy order of 65-70g. That's pretty much the high end of what I'm willing to pay. The price usually drops that low after a few weeks if you're patient, though it depends on how popular stuff is. Dwayna doesn't seem THAT popular, at least least compared to stuff like the Aetherized or Balthazar sets.

Wanderer5

If there's skins I want, I put in a buy order of 65-70g. That's pretty much the high end of what I'm willing to pay. The price usually drops that low after a few weeks if you're patient, though it depends on how popular stuff is. Dwayna doesn't seem THAT popular, at least least compared to stuff like the Aetherized or Balthazar sets.

I started doing that with around 70g, but it seems like it has become harder now to get with recently, through maybe I was unlucky.:/ Don't the sets stay up for 1 ticket for only 2 weeks now too?

I would like to check out Dwayna rifle, but I don't really want to use my only ticket heh.

Retro

I started doing that with around 70g, but it seems like it has become harder now to get with recently, through maybe I was unlucky.:/ Don't the sets stay up for 1 ticket for only 2 weeks now too?

I would like to check out Dwayna rifle, but I don't really want to use my only ticket heh.

It's hard to say how long the sets stay up for; the Gallant ones were up quite a while which may have been why they're so cheap now. They tend to announce this stuff well in advance, and the dataminers usually find the new weapon sets well before that.

I know what you mean about tickets though, I've been saying for years that if they increased the number of scraps needed for a ticket but gave them a 100% drop rate, you'd see people buy keys a lot more often because they'd always be making progress towards a skin. Key farmers are a big problem there though.

It's hard to say how long the sets stay up for; the Gallant ones were up quite a while which may have been why they're so cheap now. They tend to announce this stuff well in advance, and the dataminers usually find the new weapon sets well before that.

I know what you mean about tickets though, I've been saying for years that if they increased the number of scraps needed for a ticket but gave them a 100% drop rate, you'd see people buy keys a lot more often because they'd always be making progress towards a skin. Key farmers are a big problem there though.

I say just drop the idea entirely. You can straight up buy armor and outfits, but not weapons for some reason. It's never made a lot of sense.

The way it works now, only key farmers really benefit. It's too expensive to buy with cash, and even gold is pretty difficult unless you farm a ton of gold.

Ashodin

They have to make money somehow. I think the abundance of weapon skins in the game (including legendaries which require no part of buying anything with real money to get) compared to armor skins (which people are often switching to suit their looks) allows for the weapon skins to be sold as the least offensive thing for money.

They have to make money somehow. I think the abundance of weapon skins in the game (including legendaries which require no part of buying anything with real money to get) compared to armor skins (which people are often switching to suit their looks) allows for the weapon skins to be sold as the least offensive thing for money.

Yeah, but they aren't sold, they are cash RNG. Just selling them would be most welcome.

Granted, i'm not exactly happy about having so much of the armor and weapons in game, as well as all outfits, solely cash shop. It seems like the vast majority of them added since release were all cash shop, iirc.

Zeroth

Yeah, but they aren't sold, they are cash RNG. Just selling them would be most welcome.

Granted, i'm not exactly happy about having so much of the armor and weapons in game, as well as all outfits, solely cash shop. It seems like the vast majority of them added since release were all cash shop, iirc.

Don't think they have added any new armor sets after April 15 (with the Lawless items+Incarnate+Strider+Rampart sets), because they wanted to make armor skins rewards (like the luminescent pieces are to SW). What we get are outfits, which is fine to me because they are pretty limited anyway.

Azzurri

Kinda want to jump back in, it's been 3 years (long time) but don't know if the end game can hold my short attention span, haha.

Retro

Kinda want to jump back in, it's been 3 years (long time) but don't know if the end game can hold my short attention span, haha.

Give it a few months, the Mastery system launching with Heart of Thorns is intended as an end-game progression system (just don't expect any stat boosts, it's all metroidvania-style unlocks for explocation, Precursor questing and lore).

If you missed Season 2 of the living story, you could always play through that (unlike Season 1, it was built to be replayed). If you didn't log in during each episode, you can pick them up for ~$16 worth of gems.

Otherwise it's running dungeons (none of them changed since launch except AC and one path in Twilight Arbor), hitting world bosses up and mucking around in the Silverwastes for PVE. WvW is still good and PVP has gotten a lot of upgrades.

You already own the game, might be worth checking out?

Mxrz

There is a set of weapons you can buy directly. They pop up from time time to time.

Off the top of my head, there has been Ascended, Silverwaste, PvP, and Super PvP armor in the last year. That's 12 sets (more if we count race variation, which we should since its a hell of a lot of work making even minor tweaks.) Last full armor set released on the gem store was the Rampart set in like Spring of 2014, I believe? Pretty good ratio imo.

We get tons of outfits cause they're considerably easier to make and seem to sell really well. At this point i personally prefer them too. Heavy armor looks awful on most of my characters, and outfits suit me better. GW2 tried to have 5 races with three different skeletons, and not take the fruity mismatched WoW route. It probably has only worked as well as it has cause the majority of the playerbase is hung up on playing human females.

Anyway. Not a whole lot to do in game without beta stuff. I do wish they would shed some light on map rewards, or at least say whether we should hold off on doing any more World Completion. Killing Teq and doing pvp dailies runs a bit dry after a few months.

Azzurri

Give it a few months, the Mastery system launching with Heart of Thorns is intended as an end-game progression system (just don't expect any stat boosts, it's all metroidvania-style unlocks for explocation, Precursor questing and lore).

If you missed Season 2 of the living story, you could always play through that (unlike Season 1, it was built to be replayed). If you didn't log in during each episode, you can pick them up for ~$16 worth of gems.

Otherwise it's running dungeons (none of them changed since launch except AC and one path in Twilight Arbor), hitting world bosses up and mucking around in the Silverwastes for PVE. WvW is still good and PVP has gotten a lot of upgrades.

You already own the game, might be worth checking out?

Thanks, yea I do but I can't remember the e-mail I used so I'm SoL. I do have my box at my parents house so i can get that and get the serial code and try that.

Retro

Last full armor set released on the gem store was the Rampart set in like Spring of 2014, I believe? Pretty good ratio imo.

I do wish they would shed some light on map rewards, or at least say whether we should hold off on doing any more World Completion. Killing Teq and doing pvp dailies runs a bit dry after a few months.

A minor addition: They've said that they will no longer be selling armor sets via the Gem Store, so all armor sets from here on out will be obtained via gameplay.

Also, Map rewards are only for events, so world completion doesn't make a difference (unless you want to avoid being in any zone so you can earn Map Rewards for any events you incidentally do while 100%'ing).

Thanks, yea I do but I can't remember the e-mail I used so I'm SoL. I do have my box at my parents house so i can get that and get the serial code and try that.

Ah, gotcha. Good luck getting it sorted out then, let us know if you want a guild invite whenever you're set up.

Zeroth

There is a set of weapons you can buy directly. They pop up from time time to time.

Off the top of my head, there has been Ascended, Silverwaste, PvP, and Super PvP armor in the last year. That's 12 sets (more if we count race variation, which we should since its a hell of a lot of work making even minor tweaks.) Last full armor set released on the gem store was the Rampart set in like Spring of 2014, I believe? Pretty good ratio imo.

We get tons of outfits cause they're considerably easier to make and seem to sell really well. At this point i personally prefer them too. Heavy armor looks awful on most of my characters, and outfits suit me better. GW2 tried to have 5 races with three different skeletons, and not take the fruity mismatched WoW route. It probably has only worked as well as it has cause the majority of the playerbase is hung up on playing human females.

Anyway. Not a whole lot to do in game without beta stuff. I do wish they would shed some light on map rewards, or at least say whether we should hold off on doing any more World Completion. Killing Teq and doing pvp dailies runs a bit dry after a few months.

Ascended is actually 2014, but yeah, I was talking about armor sets added to the store. I think last year was pretty much luminescent+PvP. I don't particularly mind it because I think the game has a nice variety as it is, and HoT will bring more sets for sure anyway.

Mxrz

Ahh. I thought of it cause I was snagging about every armor skin there for a while, and thats the last one I can remember.
Also, Map rewards are only for events, so world completion doesn't make a difference (unless you want to avoid being in any zone so you can earn Map Rewards for any events you incidentally do while 100%'ing)..
Blergh. Must've missed this. I had hoped earning general xp in a map would play a part too. I've never done an "Events!" daily but had friends rage about them. Hopefully they tinker with it some.

I disagree about Tempest, it's really fun playing support. I mean it's not insanely unique but it certainly serves a purpose out in the open world and even more so with new fractals/challenging content. Tempest aura spec with heals on auras is really fun IMO. As for Dragonhunter, it seems like the most flawed spec. I don't think it synergizes with the other traits well.
Fun to play last onlu a few days before most people stop caring and focus on effectiveness. Tempest does nothing better or equal to d/d in pve, d/f and staff in pve. Even the most supportive tempest defenders (not saying you are) changed tunes after playing it.

Elfstruck

Oh man, never knew the market was so easy to play with.

Made a profit of 8000+ gold in 7 days. Probably the time zone or something.

At this moment I bought all the sigils on the market of 1 kind and all skins of 1 weapon. I just own a small part of the markt and decide the price lol.

You gotta be kidding me? :(

Jira

Fun to play last onlu a few days before most people stop caring and focus on effectiveness. Tempest does nothing better or equal to d/d in pve, d/f and staff in pve. Even the most supportive tempest defenders (not saying you are) changed tunes after playing it.

Just out of curiosity, did you get to play the beta at all?

Take a Veteran Mushroom King for example. One of the mobs roaming the start of VB.

He will:

Charge
Pull you
Stomp on your head and stun you
Explodes on death (huge damage)

Accompanying him are typically:

Mushroom Charger which will:

Charge at you and knock you down
Explodes on death

Mushroom Stomper which will:

Slam on enemies (he takes reduced damage unless you avoid this attack)
Explodes on death

Mushroom Bomber which will:

Has nasty AoEs
Summons sporelings
Explodes on death

and finally a Mushroom Spike Thrower will:

Throws spikes
Explodes on death

So imagine all of this going on at once just in order to fight one vet who's roaming around. There's an event that has you go into a cave where these mushrooms are and its bad enough to imagine a vet + 3, but the event scales up and so you have 8-10 mobs of varying types and ranks and they are just mauling people. People going down left, front, and center. People need to stop looking at what XYZ elite spec can do in the dungeons we have now that are an absolute joke by comparison and start worrying about how they will fair just roaming the world. Colin did say the first stuff you see in VB is considered easy compared to the stuff deeper into the jungle. Roaming solo in HoT will not be a walk in the park, your safety is not guaranteed. Hence why I cannot stress how important support is and will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom