• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

You can have up to 12 bank tabs? Seriously? Okay, now I'll buy the Ultimate Edition and use the gems, lol.

Edit: I just tried to buy it in-game and keep getting an error.

Morokh

Bought the damn thing, I was a bit short of bank-space anyway.
It's nice that the bag slots come as consumable items cause I don't know on which character I'll use them :p

Dumped some duplicate dyes in the guild bank, so help yourselves if you don't have them.
There is a slot in the guild bank that seems to be bugged, can't put anything in it.

Got a raven mail carrier, and enough BL tickets for a weapon too 10/10 would buy again (or not ... :p )

Hubb

That account Jump-Start thingy looks very tempting at 45% off :eek:

How do the bag slots work? Do they only work for one character, or is it account wide? Sorry for the dumb question, played a lot during release and haven't played much since.

Speaking of which, could I get an invite to the guild? Hubb.2637 Thank you.

Edit: Never mind, that is what I get for quoting before refreshing the page. They only work on one character.

Wanderer5

Should probably get that last achievement in aetherpath over with by tomorrow if possible. If anyone can help me either later tonight, or early afternoon PST/around reset tomorrow that would be grand, cause I not sure if I want to get pugs for this path...

Should probably get that last achievement in aetherpath over with by tomorrow if possible. If anyone can help me either later tonight, or early afternoon PST/around reset tomorrow that would be grand, cause I not sure if I want to get pugs for this path...

Which achievement?

Dead

well not really...yet
I finally tried PVP, rank 21 now. Sucked pretty bad but am steadily getting better. Doing best with Necro. Wasn't aware how generous the rewards are though.

Zeroth

I finally tried PVP, rank 21 now. Sucked pretty bad but am steadily getting better. Doing best with Necro. Wasn't aware how generous the rewards are though.

It's pretty good. Have had my fair share of matches by now, I really like how the dynamics change for each class. From bunker guardian to d/d ele, there are a multitude of roles I got to play and they were all very interesting

Levyne

Banned
Congrats to Ryuu for reaching Rank 80! Another Dragon in the club :eek:

screenshot232774_crsjvojo.png

screenshot240451_crscoqj1.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
All these pandering to human and norn mythos. What about muh asura and charr crap, like Eternal Alchemy blessing or FOR SMODUUUR shit

Arcayne

Logged in tonight for the first time in half a year? The new trait(?) system took me by surprise, still need to figure that out. Did they take out the Engie's 100% swiftness buff? Also, is there any confirmation that warriors + torch will play like WoW's druid? Or just speculation so far?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Logged in tonight for the first time in half a year? The new trait(?) system took me by surprise, still need to figure that out. Did they take out the Engie's 100% swiftness buff? Also, is there any confirmation that warriors + torch will play like WoW's druid? Or just speculation so far?

Yeah sadly no more unlimited swiftness for us :(

spiritfox

Nope, Speedy Kits are still there as Streamlined Kits. The Swiftness buff has been extended to 20s and there are additional spells as part of the trait.

We don't know anything much about War's elite yet. It'll be shown later in the week.

usea

You can still get unlimited swiftness on engi between streamlined kits and elixir b right? Pretty sure I was doing that last week before I switched back to mecha legs. It keeps stacking up higher. If you get swiftness from throw elixir b, even better. Maybe being alchemy spec helped?

I gave in and bought the expansion. I'm excited to learn more about the elite specs, especially engineer's and druid.

I bought the deluxe edition. It says that gems might take a few days to show up, but what about the character slot, mini, etc? Do I have to wait for release, or do I get those after a few days, too?

Heh, this is the exact opposite of what Tumblr is saying atm. I follow a huge bunch of people and have not seen a single positive post about thief staff. They are just reblogging these two mega negative posts about how staff is the most boring and overused weapon, "it will be too close to Revenant" and "Ranger already got staff". And that's not even mentioning the hate that the idea of some staff-based acrobatic martial arts looking skills is generating.
I do get that people want more rifle users (only 2 profs atm). I would also like rifle as a really long range option, but thief would be even more horrible to meet in any sort of PvP then. Stealth, mobility and the ability to shoot you from max range? Ugh :D
Melee staff would be less of a balance nightmare.

I love staff. Lots of those underwater spears needs to be retrofitted as staff weapons. It's hard for me to get excited about pistols/rifles because the animations are often very subtle and hard to spot. When I play Engineer with either, I always get very bored very quickly of the skills, and it's been like that in every hotkey based MMO I have played with guns. A lot of the fun with guns come from the satisfaction of aiming yourself. the visual of executing an animation with that taken out.. is not as exciting to me.

When a visceral melee weapon you can animate all sorts of things, like crazy movement, parkour, and body movements that affect the entire character, not just their finger pulling a trigger.
In the middle ages, spears was by far the mostly used weapon due to affordability and their low skill curve. Using a sword was expensive and hard. you could easily hurt yourself bad. with a spear it was just a wooden staff with a sharp object on the end. could easily be thrown. even peasants knew how to stabby-stabby. And good for taken down horse cavalry. Was supposedly the featured weapon of everything from the vikings to the romans to the egyptians.

So I am all for Anet purposely using staff as any type of polearm. I suspect Druid will use it like a traditional casting staff to help it with its nature/shapeshifting capabillities?, while thief will use it as a melee weapon.
Neither of those things sound derivative compared to what another rifle or pistol would bring to the table:p

PS. I really hope we are going to get some sexy quaggan staff pole dancing in the expansion. down in mexico, style quaggan striptease. OOOOooooooOOOoo nice tip

Morokh

ZAM has the Berserker preview up :
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=36349

“One of these skills is Wild Blow, a powerful attack that launches any foe it hits back a large distance with such force that your foe's own body becomes a projectile that can hit other enemies, knocking them back in turn.”

Whaaaaaat ???

The helm doesn't look all that great in the end, and on top of that, the human on the screens looks kind of stupid, but the skills sound interesting.

ZAM has the Berserker preview up :
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=36349

Whaaaaaat ???

The helm doesn't look all that great in the end, and on top of that, the human on the screens looks kind of stupid, but the skills sound interesting.

You are right. They chose one of the ugliest armors in the game, and paired it with a helmet that looks like the cousin of this abomination ( https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Horns_of_the_Dragon_Skin ). The article is poorly written, and the writer doesn't sound like he is playing GW2 at all. All these things might have something to do with this sounding, really stupid.

Wild Blow,
Sundering Leap,
Shattering Blow,
Headbutt (Elite)

So it sounds like that all these are like physical skills, but not?

The current Physical Skills:

Bulls Charge ( Gap Closer, Knockdown)
Kick (Interrupt, Knockback)
Stomp (Interrupt, Launch)
Throw Bolars (Interrupt, Gap Closer)

So what exactly are these Rage skills to offer? Wild Blow and Shattering Blow, will use whatever weapon you are using? That would be interesting, particularly if the skill would change depending on what weapon you are using!
Headbutt sounds like a Knockdown, and Sundering Leap, is that going to be different from what is currently available with Sword #2, Greatsword #5, or Bulls Charge as a means increase mobility? I am not sure, if these Rage Skills are going to offer a substantial difference.

And then, basically mechanically, you fill up your adrenaline bar - Press a Button to go to Berserk (can't be cancelled, on a cooldown, with a certain duration) and then depending on weapon you will be able to use a Primal Burst Skill (F2) depending on your weapon. So we saw the Bear art. So they might be riding on "primal animals" as representative of those skills.
And I take that Means a new F1 skill for all weaponsets? Primal Weapon Burst for Greatsword, Hammer, LB, Rifle, Sword, Mace, Axe?
I hope these are cool.

Also I like the idea of rewarding people for going full adrenaline. Many of my builds have always been specced for wanting to keep a full adrenaline bar, so for the last year and a half I have been conditioned to never use my burst skill. I always try to keep my adrenaline up at 100%. for more damage(trait), and more healing.

Overall, it sounds mixed, I am not impressed with the rage skill, and I don't know if I think Berserk mode sounds like a gimmick.
The problem fundamentally with Warrior is that you need to get that adrenaline up, or spec to get it up that much quicker, so engagement is sometimes weird.
I sort of hope that Berserk mode would be like reaper form for Necro- A form you could drop in and out off, and be in for a considerable amount of time.
I totally agree with Gee, that it was the right call not to make it only condi based, and I think it speaks of good design to make sure Berserkers have synergy with all weapons of the class.
So hopefully Berserker looks really cool. We will see this friday. The Reaper form for Necro looks incredible with all its visual effects. I was hoping Berserker mode would be like this:

Viking Berserkers were all about vulnerability;

Berserkers (or berserks) were Norse warriors who are primarily reported in the Old Norse literature to have fought in a nearly uncontrollable, trance-like fury, a characteristic which later gave rise to the English word berserk. Berserkers are attested to in numerous Old Norse sources.

The Úlfhéðnar (singular Úlfheðinn), another term associated with berserkers, mentioned in the Vatnsdæla saga, Haraldskvæði and the Völsunga saga, were said to wear the pelt of a wolf when they entered battle.[1] Úlfhéðnar are sometimes described as Odin's special warriors: "[Odin’s] men went without their mailcoats and were mad as hounds or wolves, bit their shields...they slew men, but neither fire nor iron had effect upon them. This is called 'going berserk.'"[2] In addition, the helm-plate press from Torslunda depicts (below) a scene of Odin with a berserker—"a wolf skinned warrior with the apparently one-eyed dancer in the bird-horned helm, which is generally interpreted as showing a scene indicative of a relationship between berserkgang... and the god Odin[3]"—with a wolf pelt and a spear as distinguishing features.

Scholar Hilda Ellis-Davidson draws a parallel between berserkers and the mention by the Byzantine emperor Constantine VII (AD 905–959) in his book De cerimoniis aulae byzantinae ("Book of Ceremonies of the Byzantine court") of a "Gothic Dance" performed by members of his Varangian Guard (Norse warriors working in the service of the Byzantine Empire), who took part wearing animal skins and masks: she believes this may have been connected with berserker rites.[13]

The actual fit of madness the berserker experienced was referred to as berserkergang ("going berserk"). This condition has been described as follows:

This fury, which was called berserkergang, occurred not only in the heat of battle, but also during laborious work. Men who were thus seized performed things which otherwise seemed impossible for human power. This condition is said to have begun with shivering, chattering of the teeth, and chill in the body, and then the face swelled and changed its colour. With this was connected a great hot-headedness, which at last gave over into a great rage, under which they howled as wild animals, bit the edge of their shields, and cut down everything they met without discriminating between friend or foe. When this condition ceased, a great dulling of the mind and feebleness followed, which could last for one or several days.[14]

Theories about what caused berserker behaviour include ingestion of materials with psychoactive properties, psychological processes, and medical conditions.

However, it is commonly known in the Scandinavian towns that still stand since the Viking ages, that "bersærk" is a genetic condition passed on, and still seen in some ancestors of the Vikings, displaying extreme strength and anger in life threatening situations, or when loved ones are in danger. When Viking villages went to war in unison, the berserkers often wore special clothing, for instance furs of a wolf or bear, to indicate that this person was a berserker, and would not be able to tell friend from foe when in rage “bersærkergang”. In this way, other allied would know to keep their distance.[15][16]

Some scholars believe certain examples of berserker rage to have been induced voluntarily by the consumption of drugs such as the hallucinogenic mushroom Amanita muscaria[14][17][18] or massive amounts of alcohol.[19] While such practices would fit in with ritual usages, other explanations for the berserker's madness have been put forward, including self-induced hysteria, epilepsy, mental illness, or genetics.[20]

Jonathan Shay makes an explicit connection between the berserker rage of soldiers and the hyperarousal of post-traumatic stress disorder.[21] In Achilles in Vietnam, he writes:

If a soldier survives the berserk state, it imparts emotional deadness and vulnerability to explosive rage to his psychology and permanent hyperarousal to his physiology — hallmarks of post-traumatic stress disorder in combat veterans. My clinical experience with Vietnam combat veterans prompts me to place the berserk state at the heart of their most severe psychological and psychophysiological injuries.[22
( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker )

Proven

Walrus... it sounds like you didn't really read the article from your post.

Also, instead of combining Physical skills and Tricks together, they're making a new category. Interesting, especially in the sense that Warriors will be seen as the children of god who get their own set of skills instead of taking from another class. Warriors became more... Warrior. They still do lose something; like the other classes it looks like it replaces your F1, aka, you lose complete access to Burst Skills for Berserker Mode. But in Berserker Mode, you get Primal Burst Skills more often than old Burst Skills.

My condi Warrior will use Torch if I can figure out some other way to get high/perma swiftness.

Edit:
Okay, quick notes:

• Berserker loses access to Burst Skills and F1 becomes Berserker Mode once you get 30 Adrenaline. There's a chance I'm slightly wrong about this and you keep level 1 and 2 Burst Skills, but I doubt it.
    Edit: Pure conjecture on my part.
  • Berserker mode replaces your Adrenaline Bar with a new bar that maxes out at 10 Adrenaline.
  • We don't know how long Berserker Mode lasts, but you can't cancel it.
  • While in Berserker Mode, any time you get to 10 Adrenaline you can use a Primal Burst Skill. These do slightly less damage than old Burst Skills, have lower cooldowns, but have cooler/more powerful effects than the old Burst Skill.
  • Primal Burst Skills, like old Burst Skills, are based only on your main hand weapon. Primal Burst Skills also count as Level 3 Burst Skills for the purposes of trait synergy.
  • New utility skills are a completely new skill type, called Rage Skills, which are basically amped versions of Physical Skills but with the bonus of also granting Adrenaline (while Physical Skills relate to your Endurance, no?).
  • Torch Skills are discussed.
  • Berserker Trait Line three aspects: Brawling and going Berserk, Condition Damage, and Healing/Stun Breaks.

Proven

What specifically?

I interpreted pretty much all your notes the same!

Reading it again, I misunderstood a little where you were going and then disagreed too strongly about where your conjecture was going. The skills you were comparing to were the datamined skills, and I thought they were just misread versions of the skills in the article. But the rage skills aren't likely to change with what weapon you're using, and they spell out some of the mechanics that you ended up having to reason out, like F1 for primal burst skills and new skills for each of the main hands.

Reading it again, I misunderstood a little where you were going and then disagreed too strongly about where your conjecture was going. The skills you were comparing to were the datamined skills, and I thought they were just misread versions of the skills in the article. But the rage skills aren't likely to change with what weapon you're using, and they spell out some of the mechanics that you ended up having to reason out, like F1 for primal burst skills and new skills for each of the main hands.

Ahh right!
I guess for me, I want to see the Berserk mode in action. At this point I don't think Torch is for me, or that the rage skills are for me, though Sundering Leap, sounds like a good gap closer / fuck-you-I'm-outta-here-card (and you can never have to many of those). Reaper Mode sold me on the Necromancer because it looks freaking cool. I'm really hoping the effects of Berserk mode is cool.
And I really like the name Berserk.
EDIT: But it is a bit hard to get excited about the Burst skills, because (and maybe this is just me) I don't use Burst skill. Besides Longbow F1 and Skill #3, I never burst on Warrior, and Adrenaline is just a means to fill a bar, so I am not sure if Berserker is going to make this rewarding.
But a new Burst skill for each main hand (LB, GS, Hammer, Axe, Mace, Sword, Rifle) is 7 new skills, and on top of the 2 new torch skills, and 4 new utility, one new elite (but do we know about a healing skill?) it is hard to be too greedy. There is substantial stuff here.
I guess what I am trying to say is; This new stuff does look like it will be for me, but Berserk-Mode itself could be really cool if it has synergy with the other facets of Warrior, which it seems! So I just hope it looks cool!

*queues Susumu Hirasawa*

Berserker loses access to Burst Skills and F1 becomes Berserker Mode once you get 30 Adrenaline. There's a chance I'm slightly wrong about this and you keep level 1 and 2 Burst Skills, but I doubt it.

I didn't read it that way. It seems more like F2 would be Berserk Mode. Out of Berserk Mode you would still have access to regular Burst Skills.

EDIT: But it is a bit hard to get excited about the Burst skills, because (and maybe this is just me) I don't use Burst skill. Besides Longbow F1 and Skill #3, I never burst on Warrior, and Adrenaline is just a means to fill a bar, so I am not sure if Berserker is going to make this rewarding.

Burst Skills have some fantastic uses, and the Berserker's Power trait requires you to use them for the damage bonus, so I'm not sure why you would completely ignore a huge mechanic of the class.

I didn't read it that way. It seems more like F2 would be Berserk Mode. Out of Berserk Mode you would still have access to regular Burst Skills.

From the article - It's not worded very well I think;

Primal burst skills is the other major change when going berserk. The burst skills—default as F1—are dependent on the weapon the Warrior is using in their main-hand and every burst skill will have a new primal version available while going berserk. To complement the lower adrenaline bar, these primal burst skills will have lower recharge times compared to their non-berserk counterparts allowing them to be used much more often.

ArenaNet gave us two examples of the primal burst skills with the longbow’s Scorched Earth and Mace’s Skull Grinder. While longbow’s default Combustive Shot is an arcing shot that leaves a circle of fire, Scorched Earth will leave a trail of fire on the ground in a straight line. This line will end up covering more area than Combustive Shot, but will require it to be aimed properly for the full benefit.

Skull Grinder will replace the mace’s Skull Crack burst skill while going berserk. Skull Grinder will still disrupt the target, but will do so for a shorter duration. In return, Skull Grinder will additionally inflict multiple conditions on the target.

Hedge

Does anyone have any experience with the "black-screen and cursor" bug?

I started a ticket, and halfway through they closed it down (after 22 mails over a period of three weeks). After contacting them again, they want me to start all over, and I don't have the heart - or time - for that, since I'm starting school again monday.

I have the bug on all my computers, so I don't believe it's a driver issue. I'm more concerned that it's a network issue, since I also have frequent disconnects between PvP matches (basically any loading screen).

Anyone have had this problem and fixed it?

Spyware

Berserker sounds pretty much like what I thought it would be. Torch sounds nice. Gonna give that to my Dual Sword/Warhorn/Longbow warrior who already uses the Balth weapons + Fused Longbow. Perfect!

I don't dislike the screeshots (I actually love them!) or the armor featured in them, and I don't think the article was that badly written. They at least tried, unlike that awful Tempest one from Ten Ton Hammer. It's more a lack of clear info and that's more on Anet and we'll know everything in a day or two anyway.

Retro

LFG Zerkers no Zerkers
rNiwPZ4.jpg

The data mine about sacrificial skills likely was the old model they referred to being condi.

Proving once again that Datamined Info ≠ Confirmed Info. Seeing people rage about Ele Warhorn because sword was datamined at one point has to be one of the dumbest examples of "but ArenaNet promised!" I've witnessed.

Berserker sounds pretty much like what I thought it would be. Torch sounds nice. Gonna give that to my Dual Sword/Warhorn/Longbow warrior who already uses the Balth weapons + Fused Longbow. Perfect!

I'm glad there's a Condition-oriented trait line because I'm one Ascended Longbow away from having my warrior geared out for a condition-focused build (Sinister weapons / trinkets, Knights gear to be forged over to Sinister or Rampager once I'm comfortable with the bigger baddies in Maguuma). I was planning to go Sword / Sword but Sword / Torch sounds like it might have more AoE on it, something I didn't really want to give up since I usually use Sword / Axe. Gonna miss the perma-fury though, but we'll see.... something about an Elite spec called "Berserker" makes me think Fury generation won't be much of an issue....

They at least tried, unlike that awful Tempest one from Ten Ton Hammer. It's more a lack of clear info and that's more on Anet and we'll know everything in a day or two anyway.

Oooooooooh yeah, the guy they have crapping out GW2 articles out for them is a complete hack, with the added perk of being a contemptuous little shit on Twitter and Reddit all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom