• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Soooo I jumped on the chance to play Guild Wars 2, and I'm loving it so far. I'm surprised at how relatively easy I was able to get into the swing of things.

I was hoping that maybe I could join up with you guys on GAF? (I actually just finished an event, and I saw one of you guys - well, girl - near the swamp.)

Post a character name or your xxxxx.1234 profile name and I'm sure an office will get on it in a jif. If you have any questions about the game be sure to ask!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pfft. New people. What makes you think you can just join our guild. WHAT DO YOU BRING TO THE TABLE HUH

Welcome ;)

Quenk

Flying back home tomorrow. People always talk about how nice/friendly indie devs are but everyone from Anet I met and talked to were awesome and some of the nicest people I've met

Ashodin

We are gonna get a ton of players when we post the HoT thread. Since the core game is free, we can have both types of players in the thread so I expect GAF guild and GAFO to be HUGE.

Proven

Anyone here becoming WoodenPotatoes' patron on patreon? He is already at $1600 per month.

Honestly? I realized I don't really like Wooden Potatoes that much. I prefer things to read, his videos are really long, and much of the time it's just speculation or news I've already heard. And since he doesn't put on PvP videos in the background very often, I get bored from the footage. I do enjoy his build videos, but I don't play Elementalist...

He's just not for me. On the other hand, I adore Nemesis for no particular reason.

UltraMav

WP is great background noise and I enjoy his insights, but would really like him to step it up on production value if he's gonna start asking for money.

Some well-edited lore videos should do the trick.

Rawk Hawk

Honestly? I realized I don't really like Wooden Potatoes that much. I prefer things to read, his videos are really long, and much of the time it's just speculation or news I've already heard. And since he doesn't put on PvP videos in the background very often, I get bored from the footage. I do enjoy his build videos, but I don't play Elementalist...

He's just not for me. On the other hand, I adore Nemesis for no particular reason.

I prefer to read now as well, since last week youtube was banned at work (/shakesfist), so uh.. where is another good place to fill my GW2 void on breaks? Been just browsing reddit lately.

Proven

I prefer to read now as well, since last week youtube was banned at work (/shakesfist), so uh.. where is another good place to fill my GW2 void on breaks? Been just browsing reddit lately.

Unfortunately, I don't have much for you either. It's just hopping on reddit hoping for an interesting discussion to read. When I'm really, really bored, I also check the official forums. I wouldn't follow my regiment. GW2 content creation among fans mostly focus around art and videos. And half of the text I find is fanfiction which, even when good, I'm just not in the mood for.

Retro

We are gonna get a ton of players when we post the HoT thread. Since the core game is free, we can have both types of players in the thread so I expect GAF guild and GAFO to be HUGE.

Ah yeah, thanks for reminding me, I needed to ask in the OTOT if MMO expansions replace a community thread or if they're supposed to be separate entities. I'll probably roll the current OT design into the new one since all of that information is still relevant and useful. Probably add a page or two for features and free player info.

They're not GW2-only, but I read Kill Ten Rats and Why I Game, for what it's worth since they both blog about the game.

I suggest the Guild Wars 2 Official Thread on the Gaming Community side of the NeoGAF Internet message board.

Rawk Hawk

Unfortunately, I don't have much for you either. It's just hopping on reddit hoping for an interesting discussion to read. When I'm really, really bored, I also check the official forums. I wouldn't follow my regiment. GW2 content creation among fans mostly focus around art and videos. And half of the text I find is fanfiction which, even when good, I'm just not in the mood for.

Yea Reddit isn't bad, I find myself roaming metabattle on lunch even, haha.

They're not GW2-only, but I read Kill Ten Rats and Why I Game, for what it's worth since they both blog about the game.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I suggest the Guild Wars 2 Official Thread on the Gaming Community side of the NeoGAF Internet message board.

Oh cool, let me go look....

0WHGKhB.gif

Proven

Oh! I read them too. Other blogs with GW2 I read include Inventory Full and the Mystical Mesmer (who has been posting more GW2 stuff on what was originally his FFXIV blog lately).

But there's no blog anymore that focuses on MMO content, and of the ones I've checked over the last couple of years, many MMO bloggers just really hate GW2 for either valid (the game wasn't for them) or crazy reasons.

Edit: It feels like part of it comes from the relationship that MMO players have with MMOs. Most of the ones that currently play GW2 don't *only* play GW2 and are still interested in a lot of other games. Everyone else has wanted it to be their one true MMO, became disillusioned, and now hate the game and/or ANet.

Retro

Edit: It feels like part of it comes from the relationship that MMO players have with MMOs. Most of the ones that currently play GW2 don't *only* play GW2 and are still interested in a lot of other games. Everyone else has wanted it to be their one true MMO, became disillusioned, and now hate the game and/or ANet.

Kill Ten Rats actually had an article about that a while ago. They basically described GW2 as the last act of the "MMO Hype Machine" that started in overdrive with Warhammer Online and left nothing but bitterness, disappointment and ruin in it's wake. The article basically reflected on how the blogging community sprang up overnight, grew wildly popular and just chewed through every "next big thing." They considered GW2 the end of all that because it was the first real, lasting success since WoW and if that wasn't going to be the big thing bloggers had been waiting for, nothing else would. At that point general purpose MMO blogs either died out, became focused on specific games or tried desperately to keep the machine going for stuff like Wildstar and TESO that gamers just couldn't get that excited over.

I'll have to dig it up, I think they posted it around one of their anniversaries.

Morokh

WP videos are perfect for my lonely lunch breaks at work :p
Also as a player that didn't play GW1 I've learned quite a lot about the lore thanks to his videos, so I can't complain.

On the other hand, I adore Nemesis for no particular reason.
GLsw9je.gif

WP is great background noise and I enjoy his insights, but would really like him to step it up on production value if he's gonna start asking for money.

Some well-edited lore videos should do the trick.

Yes, some of the editing on his Q&A particularly is just straight bad >_<

For the lore videos, that's actually exactly the plan.

He has an hour long video where he explains his plans for the future and why he started using Patreon (with annotations if you want to jump straight to a relevant topic) if you're curious about that.

Personally I'm really looking forward to the lore videos, and I'm curious to see how his perma-death GW2 streams will turn-out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
http://massivelyop.com/2015/09/01/p...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

ANet now self publishes GW2. It's important to note that NCSoft still does own them, it's just their name/logo is only in the Trademark now, not on the box.

“I look at free-to-play as a business model. We aren’t going to go back and redesign the business model. It’s not about monetizing free-to-player players. This is Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 was designed as a buy-to-play game.”
It's tricky to explain, as I can tell it is difficult for Mike O'Brien to express in a couple of sentences, but so far as I can see it... basically, it's "Buy-to-Play for the latest and greatest content, and to receive ongoing updates; Free-to-Play for everything but, with some account restrictions."

As indeed was GW2's initial buy-to-play model for a true MMO, this seems to me a completely novel financial strategy, essentially changing a traditional "expansion" into "the latest version of the game" one can buy. Fascinating.

Jira

Pretty sure from here on out any purchase of GW2 will get you all expansions, that's the model going forward.

Mike was asked this question and he said at this point they cannot say if they'll do it or not. It seems that will be the logical step with this new model (HoT becomes free and xpack 2 (Elona) is B2P.

Wanderer5

So a bunch of us from The Legion of Charrs went to form up [NODE] Reichii's Reapers, a silly guild based on a commander call Reichii, that goes around in WvW to find gathering nodes rather than actually fighting or PPTing unless necessary (like if we get attacked).:p

Here the recruitment video that was made to be posted for the Guild Recruitment Video Opportunity that Anet is having.

i'm glad the bank/inventory is account based and not character. got some stuff stashed from 3 years ago lol. i think i'm going to take it slow. the reason i quit last time was i played from beta and launch for 200 hours straight and sorta stopped.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
question , can i move the GW2 Directory from my hard drive to my SSD by simply click and drag without it giving problems ?
For sure. GW2 (and gw1) is built on a super tight file structure, gw2.dat just has everythang. There's really no call to a directory hierarchy or registry component to speak of

Mxrz

Mostly the same boat. I like what the guy does, but disagree with what seems like a lot of his views. He wants what I'd call WoW/grind/longterm pve content. Which goes against what drew me to ANet. More power to the guy for getting paid though.

Reddit is pretty awful most of the time. The official forums are one collective bitchfest. I've always wanted to find a forum/vid focusing more on the nuts and bolts of the actual game over opinions being shouted about.

Any suggestions for someone who wants access to their account they havent played in 2 years but forgot their account name and deleted the email they registered with

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom