• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Having run with Zeroth & Co., I wouldn't worry about them in Zerker gear. They're regularly soloing Lupi and running Level 50 fractals. They're in zerker but they know what they're doing, so I'm not too worried about them.

The 80-90% of the game's population that runs zerker because they were told it's the meta, without developing the skillset needed to survive outside the stack? Jira's absolutely right that those guys are gonna get wrecked.

doesnt explain much more than what we already (don't) know ...

Weekly rewards only, enrage bosses, that mean DPS checks, question is : balanced on what type of gear ? which is a big question overall.

I love them doubling down on the 'No attunements' , but you'll need to have specific masteries *trollface*
While not being exacly the same thing, it's extremely similar even if it will be quite 'light' with the most meaningful traversal masteries being at the beginning of the lines.

For the rest, we'll have to see if it works as intended when we get there.

It's sounding more like 'someone in the raid will need to have it' rather then 'everyone needs to have it'

Much more newbie friendly.

Jira

Having run with Zeroth & Co., I wouldn't worry about them in Zerker gear. They're regularly soloing Lupi and running Level 50 fractals. They're in zerker but they know what they're doing, so I'm not too worried about them.

The 80-90% of the game's population that runs zerker because they were told it's the meta, without developing the skillset needed to survive outside the stack? Jira's absolutely right that those guys are gonna get wrecked.

Yeah, I think this is more what I was getting at. Your average I gotta run zerker because that's what I was told, but have no idea how to not die player is going to have a BAD time in HoT.

It's sounding more like 'someone in the raid will need to have it' rather then 'everyone needs to have it'

Given the fact that you'll have 10 people in a raid, I'd have to imagine that's enough players to cover all the mastery bases. But as I've said elsewhere, between 4 zones and story content, getting relevant raid masteries isn't going to take forever.

Retro

I have a feeling a lot of them are going to be basic ones you want anyway like gliding and mushroom jumping. Stuff you'll want to have unlocked just to get around in the Jungle to begin with.

Also, since it's easy to forget (I did!); Masteries are account wide. Once you unlock stuff for one character, all of them have it.

So didn't see a response to this: Do legendary weapons let you swap stats? Or does it just let you choose whatever you want at the start and you're stuck with it? I'm hoping if I get Legendary armor I can bounce between Zerker and Tank.

That would be incredibly stupid if a stat build was completely invalidated by the new A.I., especially the most popular one. More intelligent enemies should mean more intelligent play by the gamer. Not having to forsake you're favorite stat combination. A Raid having sections where you can't get away with all Zerkers for certain portions is perfectly fine but not being able to roll Zerker for all the expansion content would be ridiculous.

I'm really interested in hearing your guys' experience though because I'm trying to decide what build I want to go with when it hits so I know what to start working towards right now. I've always done Zerker since defense wasn't an Ele or Mesmer's strength anyway, just have to get good at dodging or for Mesmer, mis direction but for my Revenant I'll have to consider things.

So didn't see a response to this: Do legendary weapons let you swap stats? Or does it just let you choose whatever you want at the start and you're stuck with it? I'm hoping if I get Legendary armor I can bounce between Zerker and Tank.
legendary item stats can be changed any time out of combat. It's a nice feature.

Jira

That would be incredibly stupid if a stat build was completely invalidated by the new A.I., especially the most popular one. More intelligent enemies should mean more intelligent play by the gamer. Not having to forsake you're favorite stat combination. A Raid having sections where you can't get away with all Zerkers for certain portions is perfectly fine but not being able to roll Zerker for all the expansion content would be ridiculous.

I'm really interested in hearing your guys' experience though because I'm trying to decide what build I want to go with when it hits so I know what to start working towards right now. I've always done Zerker since defense wasn't an Ele or Mesmer's strength anyway, just have to get good at dodging or for Mesmer, mis direction but for my Revenant I'll have to consider things.

I would wait until you fight mobs in HoT to determine what you want to go with. What you think you might want right now may not be what you want once the xpack comes out.

Now for armor, do you get all the pieces in one go, or do you have to get separate ones for each slot?

Are we looking at 3 sets of legendary armor, or one themed for each class?

Or maybe one themed for each race?

Lots of questions remaining.

Also, where is our ascended food and jewelcrafting coming?

legendary item stats can be changed any time out of combat. It's a nice feature.

Thanks! That's awesome! Definitely would prefer to skip Ascended armor and shoot for Legendary then so I can focus on Ascended weapons. Hope we'll get the rest of the details soon concerning how to create Legendary armor and how far a Raid's rewards goes towards that endeavor. If it's just one component, not going to feel like a very good reward to me but there could obviously be other good rewards unrelated to go with it. If you could choose a component and repeatedly beat a Raid (once a week) to earn them all, I could deal with that. Would provide incentive to run the Raid many times. What other reward would get people to go out of their way to run it each week? (talking objectively good rewards, not fun which is subjective ;) )

I would wait until you fight mobs in HoT to determine what you want to go with. What you think you might want right now may not be what you want once the xpack comes out.

Actually I forgot that you can create a beta character at max level and choose equipment, duh! I just pre-ordered it less than a week ago so forgot about BWE possibilities. I could either go with Zerker and see how it is, if it's difficult, can I improve enough to where it's not an issue? or Create both a Zerker Rev and a Tank-y Rev and see what I like better. Since you start maxed out, wouldn't take any real time to create both and can book it to the jungle to test the mobs out quickly.

Jira

Now for armor, do you get all the pieces in one go, or do you have to get separate ones for each slot?

Are we looking at 3 sets of legendary armor, or one themed for each class?

Or maybe one themed for each race?

Lots of questions remaining.

Also, where is our ascended food and jewelcrafting coming?

You'll very, very likely have to craft each piece per type individually. Also, I will not be surprised if you have to beat the entire raid in order to get everything you'll need to say make a single piece. But that's just me speculating. I think they intend to keep this stuff quite rare by it being challenging and also taking time to obtain. I'm certain they will not use RNG and if you beat XYZ, you will get what you came for. You may not have enough of whatever to make it in one go, but you'll get it as long as you beat it (encounter or raid).

Retro

The problem, insofar as there actually is one (this is really all just academic with a minor spillover into community behavior), is that Zerker stats are treated as the only stat set by a large percentage of the population. Because the community has found what is essentially an exploit in the AI (stacking), a large portion of those players have not developed the skills or situational awareness that harder combat will likely require. In fact, most players consider the combat too easy.

There are people that know what they're doing (see above post), but I would imagine for the vast majority of players they were either told to only use Zerker gear or they read it on any number of sites aimed at top level play but used as a general guide by everyone.

When stacking inevitably fails to work anymore (and all indications point towards that), those players are essentially a liability to everyone around them and they are likely to raise a fuss about the game being too hard. The former doesn't really matter much to me because I know most of my raiding will be done with GAFers, who I trust to know better or at least recognize when the winds change. The latter is only an issue because the community is likely to whine about it being too difficult, which could potentially lead the developers to make the content easier (which I am strongly against).

It doesn't really matter to me what gear people wear as long as they can get the job done. The current discussion is really only concerned with the parts of the community who have only ever known the existing meta. It's not that they're bad or stupid, it's just that they've only ever known what people have told them and haven't ever been forced to learn. If the content in HoT is as difficult as it's said to be (and based on what we saw in the last BWE, it's certainly headed in that direction, see Jira's comments above), those folks will either get better at the game, change up their gear for more survivability, or take to the forums / Reddit to whine (which seems the more likely since the first two options would require effort and/or a hit to the ego).

Me? I'm rolling Knights gear and Sinister weapons / trinkets. I'll phase towards more damage and less survivability when I know what's out there waiting for me in the jungle.

You'll very, very likely have to craft each piece per type individually. Also, I will not be surprised if you have to beat the entire raid in order to get everything you'll need to say make a single piece. But that's just me speculating. I think they intend to keep this stuff quite rare by it being challenging and also taking time to obtain. I'm certain they will not use RNG and if you beat XYZ, you will get what you came for. You may not have enough of whatever to make it in one go, but you'll get it as long as you beat it (encounter or raid).

That would be rather insane though. I was hoping it woudl be like the precursor crafting, just with armor. You need parts from the raid , plus 500 level crafting, plus a ton of other random stuff. That gets a precursor armor set, which you then get all the gifts for to make a legendary set.

Quenk

The problem, insofar as there actually is one (this is really all just academic with a minor spillover into community behavior), is that Zerker stats are treated as the only stat set by a large percentage of the population. Because the community has found what is essentially an exploit in the AI (stacking), a large portion of those players have not developed the skills or situational awareness that harder combat will likely require. In fact, most players consider the combat too easy.

I disagree with reasoning of using an "exploit" but yes, an overwhelming majority think that Zerker stats are the only stats that matter.

One thing that came up when talking with ANet devs was that the concept of switching to tankier stats can be tricky since more toughness means you're more likely to draw aggro.

Jira

That would be rather insane though. I was hoping it woudl be like the precursor crafting, just with armor. You need parts from the raid , plus 500 level crafting, plus a ton of other random stuff. That gets a precursor armor set, which you then get all the gifts for to make a legendary set.

Well I'm just speculating here. I mean though it IS supposed to be the hardest content in the game and the most prestigious rewards.

I disagree with reasoning of using an "exploit" but yes, an overwhelming majority think that Zerker stats are the only stats that matter.

One thing that came up when talking with ANet devs was that the concept of switching to tankier stats can be tricky since more toughness means you're more likely to draw aggro.

Which mechanically may be something you would want in the raid. If you say needed to lure a mob to a specific area so they get hit by I dunno a trap or an explosion to hurt them.

Ashodin

Me? I'm rolling Knights gear and Sinister weapons / trinkets. I'll phase towards more damage and less survivability when I know what's out there waiting for me in the jungle.

Going straight into HoT with ascended Zealot's armor and Celestial + Berserker trinkets. I want to be a lean mean healing damage machine.

I consider this playstyle the hardest - how can you maximize your output of damage while trying to keep players health high? It's incredibly fun.

Also new build: can anyone get back on? I get errors when trying to update.

Quenk

Well I'm just speculating here. I mean though it IS supposed to be the hardest content in the game and the most prestigious rewards.

Which mechanically may be something you would want in the raid. If you say needed to lure a mob to a specific area so they get hit by I dunno a trap or an explosion to hurt them.

Agreed. In fact, I think that aggro control will be useful in HoT with taunts being added.

Retro

I consider stacking to be an exploit in that it negates the enemy's normal behavior; the encounters don't occur how they're supposed to, which means the players are essentially breaking them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the players for it; it's on ArenaNet for not anticipating it and not fixing it... but it still exists, it still breaks the game's intended behavior and it still alters player perception and skill.

As far as tankier stats go, I believe Vitality is usually the better option anyways since Toughness has no effect on conditions.

Also new build: can anyone get back on? I get errors when trying to update.

Bug Fixes:
  • Fixed a bug in which players incorrectly received messages about guild-bank economy restrictions when they didn’t have access to the guild bank.
  • WvW siege blueprints now return to your inventory anytime they would previously have been dropped on the ground, such as when swapping weapons, utilizing a noncombat transform, or acquiring another bundle.
  • The Twisted Watchwork Portal Device now works correctly with free accounts.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented the economy restriction dialog from displaying correctly.
  • Fixed an issue that caused dodging to break the player out of daze.

I'm able to log in just fine, fwiw.

What particular methods and playstyles are incorporated when someone derides the "zerker meta"?

My approach to it, as it exists in dungeons, has always been to learn not how to be five individual people vaguely fighting in the same vicinity as each other, but to learn how to be a single unit working most effectively on particular tasks in a very practiced manner. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts and all that. What gear stats you use isn't the defining attribute, and "killing things fast" isn't the goal but rather a consequence.

Is "stacking" the main point people are touchy about?

The best analogy I can come up with is we're the Power Rangers, and we want to fight together combined as the Megazord as often as possible.

I think stacking in a corner is pretty cheesy most of the time, as well as outright useless in a lot of cases, but line of sighting a group of enemies together is pretty standard fare. A cleave hits three targets and an AoE hits five, so you can triple and quintuple your killing effectiveness just by having more enemies closer together (important for the "Damage" portion of our soft trinity). Knockbacks/Pulls/Fears/Taunts can work just as well for putting enemies right where you want them (enemy placement is one of multiple mechanics involving "Control"). The "meta" party as it exists today is going to have a Thief and Guardian blinding foes and blocking/reflecting projectile attacks, and it's all accomplished more easily the closer both friends and foes are kept together. And while you are close together, you can share the benefits of blast finishers and shouts and banners and even more boon granting skills and traits, and no one ends up too far away out of reach to heal when they are hurt or revive when they are downed (more "Support" than you can shake a stick at).

So "stack up everything and everyone in the corner of the room" seems like a very rudimentary, early stepping stone into learning better ways to control the flow of a fight. But it shouldn't be a long-term crutch. Unfortunately, it takes a lot more effort and practice to get a group capable of controlling enemies out in the open. It only takes one person not on the same page as everyone else to do something to divide enemies, and it's usually not in your best interests to have party members spread out across the entire arena trying to fight individually against multiple different targets.

Even beyond all of that, melee weapon damage and utility is generally so far beyond the effectiveness of ranged weapons that players are going to end up close together anyway when sharing targets. Just because you can shoot things from 1500 units away doesn't ever mean you should when given the opportunity to do otherwise. There is a reason the term "bearbow" is met with tremendous derision.

I'm not ever going to advocate players standing inside of each other for every fight, but I do enjoy it when people show a bit of situational awareness and keep everything in tight so everyone is benefiting as much as possible from actually having each other there beside one another. There are many different approaches to fights that are appropriate or inappropriate depending on party composition and enemy opposition, and the real skill is knowing which is which.

Retro

What gear stats you use isn't the defining attribute, and "killing things fast" isn't the goal but rather a consequence.

. . . .

So "stack up everything and everyone in the corner of the room" seems like a very rudimentary, early stepping stone into learning better ways to control the flow of a fight. But it shouldn't be a long-term crutch.

I'm not ignoring the rest of your post (point in fact, I agree with most of it), but I wanted to zero in on these two points here because they're basically where the conversation begins and ends for me.

For the vast majority of players, "killing things fast" is the goal, and why the glass cannon approach is so heavily favored. It's part of the larger, rewards-obsessed issue which we don't need to get into here, but it's why the common response to people wearing non-zerker gear is "you are hurting me by slowing me down". That is, I believe, why we have a zerker meta in the first place.

Likewise, once the stacking crutch is gone there's going to be a lot of players complaining about how difficult the content is and demanding it be made easier. The problem is that most of those players will not look to their gear or skill first. Stacking would be a useful stepping stone to learning control if things progressed beyond there. I think for most players, it never does.

People can say killing things fast is their goal and run whatever gear they think is best to do it, but I've not met many PUGs that can back up philosophies with actions. Just because you name your LFG "Speedrun" doesn't mean you come within a country mile of understanding what that actually would entail.

Most of the PUGs I've run dungeons with aren't good at corner stacking, at all, and only do it because that's what everyone told them they are supposed to do, and they'll continue being not good whether they can corner stack or not.

It's not the "zerker meta" that needs to be seen as the bad guy, but the people making half-assed attempts at appropriating it. I'll still argue it is about being the most effective team possible first. There is a big issue with current encounters being too easy though, and practiced ad infinitum for three years, which also lets the most effective method share its podium with fastest. Berserker/Sinister stats will always be the fastest when the goal is to do damage and kill something, but if a fight is so hard that only 1% of players can beat it in Berserker, and the other 99% have the option of taking 10 minutes longer but beat it in Nomads, say hello to your new Nomad meta.

Mxrz

I'd prefer legendary armor require Ascended Crafting. You spend the gold and time to raise the professions to 500. Make the armor. Then give out an option to by pass all of it. Feathers would be ruffled. This would also give Ascended Jewelcrafting something to do with the legendary back items.

Its a little early to argue about meta until they talk more about the AI. Giving GW2 AI on par with GW1 would have the biggest impact. Mobs could kite, avoid AOE/Cleave groups, have different priorities, heal, revive, hex-pressure, etc. Then you add in skill sets that work well together ( see GW1 Dwarves). They could even take advantage of all the little things players do in GW2 and apply it to mobs. Its the same company that did it a few years back. They could do it again. Mostly a question if they want to.

Ashodin

My personal preference is wanting to encounter the enemies in a way that is challenging to me, and your description Ike of players spread out in a group, trying to manage being close for boons and separate for attacks is my idea of that challenge. A group stacked on top, while all the benefits are there as you said, provides zero fun factor to me in the way of progressing through content. It's the fastest way to destroy enemies in dungeons, and it relies on the blinds and blocks as are needed to maintain constant high damage.

However, I am not blind to the fact that there is an optimal strategy, and where fit, I will follow along with the other group members instead of trying to pull the group's strategy in another direction (splitting up and trying to "tank" as needed based on the fight, dealing damage when I can, supporting when I can). It's why when I do PUG dungeon runs I just shut up and stack. I don't make an effort to let people know I run Zealot's gear. I don't make an effort to let people know I want to play a different way. It's just not worth it for the reasons Retro said "you're slowing me down and it's hurting me". I don't want to hear that at all.

Thorgal

I once did an experiment : i went into LFG looking specifically for dungeon groups that asked to ping gear while wearing soldier armor and pinged the berserker armor i kept in my inventory.

in over a15 -20 runs or so not a single group could tell that my overall dps was much lower.

I feel pretty confident in saying that the very big majority goes out on good faith that i am entering with zerk gear .

There are people that know what they're doing (see above post), but I would imagine for the vast majority of players they were either told to only use Zerker gear or they read it on any number of sites aimed at top level play but used as a general guide by everyone.

When stacking inevitably fails to work anymore (and all indications point towards that), those players are essentially a liability to everyone around them and they are likely to raise a fuss about the game being too hard. The former doesn't really matter much to me because I know most of my raiding will be done with GAFers, who I trust to know better or at least recognize when the winds change. The latter is only an issue because the community is likely to whine about it being too difficult, which could potentially lead the developers to make the content easier (which I am strongly against).

It doesn't really matter to me what gear people wear as long as they can get the job done. The current discussion is really only concerned with the parts of the community who have only ever known the existing meta. It's not that they're bad or stupid, it's just that they've only ever known what people have told them and haven't ever been forced to learn. If the content in HoT is as difficult as it's said to be (and based on what we saw in the last BWE, it's certainly headed in that direction, see Jira's comments above), those folks will either get better at the game, change up their gear for more survivability, or take to the forums / Reddit to whine (which seems the more likely since the first two options would require effort and/or a hit to the ego).

I agree with most of your points and it's on Anet to make the encounters more dynamic so you can't just stack and someone pointed out earlier they've gotten better at that and no doubt that won't work well in the Raids. This is meant to be added end-game content so gamers need to adapt and get better or switch their builds if they aren't good enough with their usual build. I think it should be set up so every build is viable, some are just more difficult to run so the onus is on the player if they want to use a glass cannon build. Glass cannon is supposed to be risky for great rewards anyway. Sure people will bitch but they'll bitch no matter what and the gamers that will keep playing this game and really want the rewards will either go online to see what they need to aim for or figure things out for themselves. Anyone that's casual enough to quit will quit anyway if Zerker isn't viable.

I'd personally love to have a Zerker set and a Knight set. I don't recall what Sinister's stats are but I might roll two Revs during the next BWE using each of these two spec sets and see how each fairs. BWE is perfect training but I think general content is fine as training as well, I'm not worried if I get my ass whooped in the standard jungle, I just don't want to be a liability in Raids and I won't do them until I'm confident I can handle them (or go with an experimental group that isn't worried about completion).

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Back in action!

Can I get an invite back into the guild? Gatsby.6730

edit: Callunah got me back in. Feels good to be home.

I guess I just have an issue where I see people (not you) who actively push the zerker meta onto everyone, even new players, as if they cannot play any other way because reasons.

To be fair, I've been running high-level content (50 Fractals, etc) with Zeroth for like a year now, and he knows I don't run within a million miles of Zerk. And he has never, not once, told me I should go Zerk instead, or complained about my damage output, etc.

There is a difference I think between talking about stuff conceptually here on the forums, giving advice, and such, and how people actually play and act in the game.

Jira

To be fair, I've been running high-level content (50 Fractals, etc) with Zeroth for like a year now, and he knows I don't run within a million miles of Zerk. And he has never, not once, told me I should go Zerk instead, or complained about my damage output, etc.

There is a difference I think between talking about stuff conceptually here on the forums, giving advice, and such, and how people actually play and act in the game.

Oh for sure. The people who push the zerker meta agenda are a very small minority.

Proven

I'm not sure if I can gather my thoughts in time to remark on the overall meta discussion, but I at least want to talk about this: Why is this facet of hidden aggro still in the game? What advantage does it bring at all? Having the monsters intentionally first attack the person that will take longest to go down makes no sense, and it'd often be the less experienced members of the group that would want more toughness.

I don't believe the 'highest toughness is the first target' thing yet anyway. When I ran with four friends regularly, doing dungeons, we knew everyone's toughness and enemies almost *never* focused on the person with the highest toughness, more than any of the others. The aggro tables for mobs seem a lot more complex (or just plain random), even three years in.

Jira

I'm not sure if I can gather my thoughts in time to remark on the overall meta discussion, but I at least want to talk about this: Why is this facet of hidden aggro still in the game? What advantage does it bring at all? Having the monsters intentionally first attack the person that will take longest to go down makes no sense, and it'd often be the less experienced members of the group that would want more toughness.

There's many, many variables when it comes to aggro. Could be the closest player, the furthest, who's doing more damage, who's doing melee, who's doing ranged, who has the least armor, etc. With HoT, the AI is supposed to also be much, much smarter if the GDC video was any indication. Add in the general skills mobs have now that we've seen in VB and I think you may be hard pressed to know just what any mob will do at anytime. I think the general idea is predictability is boring (which it is) and if you never know what the enemy is thinking, you have to actually pay attention instead of playing whack a mole and become complacent like other MMOs.

Retro

It's not the "zerker meta" that needs to be seen as the bad guy, but the people making half-assed attempts at appropriating it.

Berserker Gear isn't an issue (and I use it myself, where appropriate), it's the community's preoccupation with it. When I'm talking about the "Zerker Meta", it's like I said above; the discussion mostly concerns the community's behavior. It doesn't affect me beyond the potential for the community's response to affect future development.

It's kind of like the Queensdale Train; I never participated and it never affected me directly, but it taught players the wrong kind of lesson and became toxic in its behavior. I don't agree with the use of Zerker stats to the exclusion of all others or stacking, and it doesn't affect me directly, but it has lead to some pretty toxic behavior and it's teaching players bad habits.

I'll still argue it is about being the most effective team possible first. There is a big issue with current encounters being too easy though, and practiced ad infinitum for three years, which also lets the most effective method share its podium with fastest.

No disagreement here; the dungeons that exist as they did at launch are too easy, if only because we've had three years of them. Stuff like Aetherpath feels about right for basic explorable dungeons... and it's no surprise the community thinks it's too hard.

Berserker/Sinister stats will always be the fastest when the goal is to do damage and kill something, but if a fight is so hard that only 1% of players can beat it in Berserker, and the other 99% have the option of taking 10 minutes longer but beat it in Nomads, say hello to your new Nomad meta.

That's kind of what we've been getting at by saying Heart of Thorns will wreck the Zerker meta; if the difficulty is bumped up as they're claiming, then there's a good chance the comunuity's devotion to Berserker gear will wane. Of course something else will replace it, but rather than swing all the way over to the other extreme of pure survivability as you suggest, I should hope it would settle somewhere in the middle and players make the decision where to go towards one end or the other.

I'd personally love to have a Zerker set and a Knight set. I don't recall what Sinister's stats are but I might roll two Revs during the next BWE using each of these two spec sets and see how each fairs. BWE is perfect training but I think general content is fine as training as well, I'm not worried if I get my ass whooped in the standard jungle, I just don't want to be a liability in Raids and I won't do them until I'm confident I can handle them (or go with an experimental group that isn't worried about completion).

Sinister is "Condition Damage > Power = Precision," basically the condi version of zerker gear.

Also, you get multiple item boxes during the BWE so you can roll one Revenant and try several gear setups (I think they give you 3 boxes with a full set of armor and weapons that you pick the stats on).

As far as "being a liability in Raids", I wouldn't worry about it too much. Our Guild has never been a "Bleeding edge" kind of guild anyways and while I wouldn't begrudge anyone who wants that kind of experience I think I can safely speak for the other two Guild Leaders when I say that everyone is welcome and we'll try to make sure everyone who wants to raid gets to. If it takes us 5 tries a week, that's perfectly fine with me as long as everyone is having fun and gets to be included.

This is absolutely true, and just to state it one more time (not for you Miktar, I know you get it); we're talking mostly about player perception and behavior here, and it's impact on the way players learn to play the game (or not). The reality is that Berserker gear in the right hands is perfectly fine, we're mostly talking about how a part of the community has pushed that mindset onto people who don't have the skill set needed to run that level of risk vs. reward.

I believe people can run whatever gear they want, but I don't think anyone can deny that there's a very vocal group of people who do not share that view. That's more or less what we're talking about.

I don't believe the 'highest toughness is the first target' thing yet anyway. When I ran with four friends regularly, doing dungeons, we knew everyone's toughness and enemies almost *never* focused on the person with the highest toughness, more than any of the others. The aggro tables for mobs seem a lot more complex (or just plain random), even three years in.

It's definitely not official, from the Wiki article on aggro:
Some players have suggested the following factors might influence certain enemies, but this is not confirmed by any official source (and seems to be based on assumptions from other MMOs that go against the principles stated by Guild Wars 2 developers):
  • Top damage dealers [citation needed]
  • Who is using a shield / has more toughness and overall armor [citation needed]
Personally, I hope there's never an official explanation on how aggro works; like Jira I think that predictability is boring and if an enemy wants to choose who it targets based on whether it's raining in Nebraska during the first new moon of the Year of the Ox, that's fine. I think the minute players start calculating exactly how much threat they're generating and turn it into something that's manageable, you're no longer fighting anything that behaves like an enemy, you're fighting rote mechanics.

Ashodin

I REALLY like the idea about trophies from raid kills in our guild hall.

Also, we need to hold a poll at some point to choose which guild hall first in HoT:

Lost Precipice — a hidden canyon refuge on the border between the Maguuma Jungle and the wastelands to the north

Gilded Hollow — a monolithic cavern containing the remnants of an outpost of a lost golden city in the heart of the jungle

Lost Precipice gives Shimmering Weapon skins; Gilded Hollow gives the Tenebrous.

I'm a shimmering man myself. White's my favorite color, so something shiny and sparkly like the Shimmering weapons are up my alley.

Retro

Whichever one we decide to do, GAFO can do the other, I guess.

Though I seem to recall reading somewhere that you could switch at any time without any loss. I'll go re-read all the guild hall stuff, but we may have to wait and see.

Ashodin

Though I seem to recall reading somewhere that you could switch at any time without any loss. I'll go re-read all the guild hall stuff, but we may have to wait and see.

Oh wow I totally forgot about the GAFO doing the other. Sneaky.

Also, I'm proud to say my Sylvari Warrior Feratosh is ready for HoT!

sI3gvB8.jpg

spiritfox

I believe you'll have to refight the mobs, but everything else will stay as it was.

Mxrz

Just a thing they do. Did it in the eotm tests way back, too.

I'd say Zerk is more than just a perception. Once your familiar enough with the content, no real reason to not use zerk. I'd love to have a reason to use the other sets. Letting Healing Power & armor scale up better would be nice.

Morokh

Datamining :
* Allow Skill Retargeting
* When using a skill that targets enemies, changing your target will cause the skill to update with the new target.
* Snap Ground Target to Current Target
* The ground-target marker will reposition itself to your current target's position so long as it is within range.

Engineers rejoice ?

Qurupeke

If I get HoT now, does my account upgrade when I buy it or when it gets released?

Suffice it to say, I have a blast with the game.

Thorgal

So wait, now grenade barrage etc will target someone instead of me aiming the marker?

If yes, give the guy who thought of that a raise.

Jira

If I get HoT now, does my account upgrade when I buy it or when it gets released?

Suffice it to say, I have a blast with the game.

It should upgrade when you buy, it might be delayed some amount of time due to volume of conversions or some such.

usea

So wait, now grenade barrage etc will target someone instead of me aiming the marker?

If yes, give the guy who thought of that a raise.
The underwater one works that way now. It sounds to me more like it will let you automatically target the ground under your target. So if your target is moving, you would still miss. It's mostly good only for enemies that stand still or don't move a lot.

Asskicker

So does engineer get any more fun than just using the same 5 skills shooting at things?

I'm currently level 15 and I think I may be doing something wrong. :p

spiritfox

So does engineer get any more fun than just using the same 5 skills shooting at things?

I'm currently level 15 and I think I may be doing something wrong. :p

Engie is one of the higher skill floor classes. One of the main tools of an engie is their weapon kits. They replace your weapon skills with a new set of skills, specializing in a particular playstyle. Grenades, for example, give you different grenades to DPS, while the Toolkit gives you a bunch of support and defensive skills. What you should be doing is to carry one or more kits, swapping into one that fits the situation, and combining the different skills whenever possible. You can survive without using kits, but it's not as optimal, or as fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom