• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any suggestions for someone who wants access to their account they havent played in 2 years but forgot their account name and deleted the email they registered with

contact support, if you still have the CD key then you are in luck, otherwise it will be an uphill battle with them but still contact support..

https://help.guildwars2.com/home

Edit:account login name is the email, if you remember that, give them the email and tell them you deleted that email...

Proven

Any suggestions for someone who wants access to their account they havent played in 2 years but forgot their account name and deleted the email they registered with
In addition to the above post, if you bought your account directly from them rather than from a third party site (amazon, etc.) or ever bought any gems through the in-game system, then they'll have your credit card on record and you can use that to prove your identity.

Haha, you caught me. In my defense, I actually like Nemesis' builds. I watch Wooden Potatos' build videos whenever they pop up too. But Nemesis hardly puts out any videos while WP puts one several times a week. It has an effect on me, for whatever reason.

Invite sent, press "G" to open the guild channel to accept the invite, then click the "Represent" button to join. /g is the shortcut for guild chat.

Welcome!

Thanks again guys!

I ended up in the middle of a Swamp Behemoth fight last night. Complete madness, but it was still so much fun. I didn't really plan it, but I was right around the area anyway so I just went for it.

Retro

CN2oixYUwAAoFMl.jpg:large

"Something is stirring in the jungle…and making its way straight to Central Tyria..."

That's clearly Kessex Hills, by the way.

Ashodin

Engineer has got the 1200g back piece...

What are you saying Anet!

I'm down for a pre expansion event. Just like wow used to run. It's like a teaser for everything new coming.

Indignate

Is the expansion something I want?

The real question is the ultimate edition something I want? I would only grab it for the gems and the character slot, which is why I would skip over the deluxe since I think getting the base + slot in the gem store is cheaper. I haven't really looked over the gem store; is there anything in there that people might consider essential (bank slots?) Is the Living Story stuff worth it?

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm having a lot of fun just jumping around. fun to just explore and see the scenery. I made it to the center of the main town I believe, it was a really nice garden.

Beautiful.

Working on the story quest now, solving crimes!

Fishious

The real question is the ultimate edition something I want? I would only grab it for the gems and the character slot, which is why I would skip over the deluxe since I think getting the base + slot in the gem store is cheaper. I haven't really looked over the gem store; is there anything in there that people might consider essential (bank slots?) Is the Living Story stuff worth it?

I don't know? Do you want the expansion? I personally think the elite specializations, new zones, masteries, raids, guild halls, etc will be worth it, but you have to determine for yourself whether it's worth it or not.

I can't remember, are you a new free player or a returning veteran? If you purchased the game before some time in January, you get a free character slot as a bonus with all HoT editions. If you're a free player and you're digging the game so far, I might recommend getting the expac just to lift the limitations and be able to play the new content with GAF guild.

As for the editions, I'd suggest either the basic or ultimate. The main advantage of ultimate is the gems as you've said. There isn't anything absolutely essential on the gem store. Eventually you may want enough character slots for each class or extra bank tabs. Bag slots (which you can buy 1 on sale today) are ok, but since they're per character most other storage options are a better value. Account jump start is a decent deal (sadly you just missed a discount on this). It's 2 bank slots + 2 bag slots with some black lion keys, transmutation charges, and dyes thrown in for free.

The copper salvage-o-matic is the only convenience tool I'd really recommend to people since it's by default cheaper than the harvesting tools and it helps more with inventory management and you get tons of blues and greens from stuff like silverwastes.

Everything else is basically cosmetics if you're into those.

Retro

That's up to you, if you're enjoying the game and want more than that's most likely a 'yes'. A fairly comprehensive list of what's in the expansion can be found here, I think they've pretty much revealed all the big ticket items; https://heartofthorns.guildwars2.com/

In general, the mini, finisher, glider skin and such aren't really worth it. If you want the character slot only, get the basic edition and run to Best Buy or Gamestop and by a $15 gem card. The Ultimate Edition is only a deal for the gems because you're getting them at half price. If you're okay buying it, go for it.

In terms of gemstore items, I would highly recommend bank tabs (maximum of 12, including the one you have), character slots and the Salvage-o-tron (for the convenience). Everything else is cosmetic.

The Living Story stuff is up to you; I personally enjoyed it but if you're not crazy about the game's lore or you're okay reading the cliff-notes version online, you can probably skip it. There's some neat rewards and cool fights, but nothing you can't live without. Keep in mind that you need the Living Story unlocked for the Carapace armor skins if that's something you'd like.

If you're not sure, buy the basic edition and a gem card for your character slot needs. You can always buy the Living Story later (and it might get discounted later as well).

I'm having a lot of fun just jumping around. fun to just explore and see the scenery. I made it to the center of the main town I believe, it was a really nice garden.

Beautiful.

Working on the story quest now, solving crimes!

That's one of the main towns, though one of the prettiest. There's one for each race, Divinity's Reach is the Human capitol.

You're gonna love Lion's Arch when you're level 35 =)

Jira

Not yet, beyond the fact that they'll use hammers. Data-miners have found the name "Forge" mentioned though.

Ranger and Engineer are the last to be revealed.

And they will have minions and Kos will be quitting the game. 10/23 can't come soon enough.

<3

Morokh

Yay ! new stuff to play !
Hope things gradually ramp-up going closer to the expansion.

Looking at that_shaman's last datamine, if this event is where we find the 3 containers listed, we might get a shot at some free power cores :D and maybe see some Scarlet's Kiss and Scarlet's Rainbow drops.
Also, tri-key chest !

If drones are as useless as minions for necro, they will see even less use than the turrets.

Too bad for you two fucks, I'm actually really excited for the hammer so I won't be quitiing, but I'll be nice and block you both so it will seem like I quit.

Qurupeke

I was on PvP and when I pressed the button to leave the PvP area, I somehow got transported to Lion's Arch. Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Lion's arch was restricted to 35+ for free players?

Proven

Your avatar reminds me that I need to watch S2...

It's possibly a bug or oversight. If it used the same restrictions as for new paid accounts onto free accounts, then PvP is the main way to circumvent that as there's a portal to Lion's Arch there.

Rawk Hawk

Yea, I remember there being things in the past about the PvP lobby and new characters. Believe classes with weapon swap were getting access to it before the designated level? Seems like that lobby sometimes has issues.

I suppose, congrats on getting to Lion's Arch!

OmegaSkittle

Neo Member
How long does it take to get the free character slot?

Bought HoT (normal version) but I have had GW2 since launch so I am pretty sure I am included in the pre-purchase promotion.

The extra slots that currently show up are labeled as BETA.

Spyware

How long does it take to get the free character slot?

Bought HoT (normal version) but I have had GW2 since launch so I am pretty sure I am included in the pre-purchase promotion.

The extra slots that currently show up are labeled as BETA.
They send them out once a week and I think it's been fridays or something before but it might have changed.

Man am I eager to learn the specific details concerning building Legendary armor. My hope is that I can focus on building Ascended Weapons and settle for Exotic armor while I create Legendary Armor to get those ascended stats. I just need to know how brutal creating them will be but I'm hoping the majority of the challenge is completing the Raid and not having to do other massive grinding outside of it for mats or components. Will be just get one component (but a crucial one you can't get elsewhere) among many to create Legendary Armor? Or will we simply need just a few other mats like Gossamer? I want to know!

So did I read that right? Can you change the stats on Legendary Weapons (and soon Armor) anytime you want? That would be amazing if I could swap between zerker and a tank set on the fly (outside of encounters).

Morokh

doesnt explain much more than what we already (don't) know ...

Weekly rewards only, enrage bosses, that mean DPS checks, question is : balanced on what type of gear ? which is a big question overall.

I love them doubling down on the 'No attunements' , but you'll need to have specific masteries *trollface*
While not being exacly the same thing, it's extremely similar even if it will be quite 'light' with the most meaningful traversal masteries being at the beginning of the lines.

For the rest, we'll have to see if it works as intended when we get there.

Jira

doesnt explain much more than what we already (don't) know ...

Weekly rewards only, enrage bosses, that mean DPS checks, question is : balanced on what type of gear ? which is a big question overall.

I love them doubling down on the 'No attunements' , but you'll need to have specific masteries *trollface*
While not being exacly the same thing, it's extremely similar even if it will be quite 'light' with the most meaningful traversal masteries being at the beginning of the lines.

For the rest, we'll have to see if it works as intended when we get there.

In BWE1 I crunched some numbers for Masteries and assuming nothing changes, it will be ~64 levels to max all the Maguuma ones out. Plenty of time to obtain the more raid relevant Masteries before it releases if that's what you're shooting for.

Taffer

If drones are as useless as minions for necro, they will see even less use than the turrets.

Too bad for you two fucks, I'm actually really excited for the hammer so I won't be quitiing, but I'll be nice and block you both so it will seem like I quit.

I think they fixed minions a patch or two ago so you'll probably be rocking drones & hammer with your elite trenchcoat.

Jira

You didn't see my <3. :(

My hope is that I can focus on building Ascended Weapons and settle for Exotic armor while I create Legendary Armor to get those ascended stats. I just need to know how brutal creating them will be but I'm hoping the majority of the challenge is completing the Raid and not having to do other massive grinding outside of it for mats or components. Will be just get one component (but a crucial one you can't get elsewhere) among many to create Legendary Armor? Or will we simply need just a few other mats like Gossamer? I want to know!

I really doubt that the majority of creating legendary armor will be raid loot.

I think it's safe to say that the amount of effort required to get legendary armor vs ascended armor will be roughly the same difference between legendary and ascended weapons. Which is... a significant difference. It's meant to be a gold sink since the only benefit is that you get shiny things.

The nice thing about ascended armor/weapons is that they're always account bound and never soulbound, so if you create it and later make a legendary piece it's not wasted, you can just give it to an alt or something.

Retro

On top of the Mastery tracks available at release, each raid release will add more raid-specific Masteries for you to earn.

The way this is worded, there may be a Mastery track intended just for raiding. I wonder if that's their intent.

First, you can earn unique rewards once per week from raids, but you can play a raid as many times as you want to help your friends earn rewards or to refine your strategies. The encounters within Raids will contain tons of exclusive new items you’ll never be able to find anywhere else in the game, from miniatures, to weapon skins, to awesome titles.

So there's a once-per-week limit on "unique rewards," similar to Guild Commendations, which I'm going to guess are the crafting components for Legendary Armor. However, it also says that the encounters themselves will contain "tons of exclusive new items", and based on the wording there's a chance those may not be locked behind a weekly limit.

If true, that means you're only progressing towards Legendary Armor once a week, but going into the raid multiple times to help fellow guildies or learn the fight mechanics better can still give you some unique rewards. Similar to how you can loot the chest at the end of a guild rush / puzzle even if you've gotten your comms.

I certainly hope that's the case.

nataku

Lets hope they took stacking into account when designing those raids.

If it's something required for a certain phase by design, that's fine, but if it's used to constantly cheese encounters I'm out. It being allowed in raids would probably be the final straw for me to just stop playing, because it would mean they see nothing wrong with it.

Jira

Lets hope they took stacking into account when designing those raids.

If it's something required for a certain phase by design, that's fine, but if it's used to constantly cheese encounters I'm out. It being allowed in raids would probably be the final straw for me to just stop playing, because it would mean they see nothing wrong with it.

Mobs aren't stupid in HoT and by design will wreck zerker. You absolutely will not be able to pull a raid boss to you and stand on top of each other unless you wish to wipe.

Retro

Lets hope they took stacking into account for those raids.

If it's some required thing for a certain phase by design, that's fine, but if it's used to constantly cheese encounters I'm out. It being allowed in raids would probably be the final straw for me to just stop playing, because it would mean they see nothing wrong with it.

The only reason stacking still exists is because they haven't replaced the 3 year old dungeons except in a few places (which cannot be stacked). All of their encounters in the interim (Queen's Gauntlet, Marionette, Scarlet's Knights, the actual fight with Scarlet, Vinewraith, Mai Trin, Molten Duo, Living Story bosses, just about everything in AC and Aetherpath...) haven't been stackable.

They've been vague about the A.I improvements. There are many ways you can make the AI more difficult. But also annoying. I hate some of the mordrem mobs in SW for example. But they are harder.

Jira

Saving this for future reference.

I've already seen it happen to other people and to myself as a test. Hell, Retro, Ash, Zed, and myself were roaming in VB and proceeded to get ganked by a group of Smokescales (1 vet 3 normal) and a the dinosaur mob who I'm forgetting. They proceeded to trounce us when I know for a fact that Ash was wearing zerker and Zeb may have been as well. Retro and I weren't but the 4 of us, who have been playing since day 1, got completely destroyed by 4 mobs in the open world. This was right inside the zone too and Colin mentioned that in the open world, mobs just get harder the further you go in. The mushroom dudes are nasty too and will team up to completely nuke entire groups with ease.

I've already seen it happen to other people and to myself as a test. Hell, Retro, Ash, Zeb, and myself were roaming in VB and proceeded to get ganked by a group of Smokescales (1 vet 3 normal) and a the dinosaur mob who I'm forgetting. They proceeded to trounce us when I know for a fact that Ash was wearing zerker and Zeb may have been as well. Retro and I weren't but the 4 of us, who have been playing since day 1, got completely destroyed by 4 mobs in the open world. This was right inside the zone too and Colin mentioned that in the open world, mobs just get harder the further you go in. The mushroom dudes are nasty too and will team up to completely nuke entire groups with ease.
Zed*

Zeroth

I've already seen it happen to other people and to myself as a test. Hell, Retro, Ash, Zeb, and myself were roaming in VB and proceeded to get ganked by a group of Smokescales (1 vet 3 normal) and a the dinosaur mob who I'm forgetting. They proceeded to trounce us when I know for a fact that Ash was wearing zerker and Zeb may have been as well. Retro and I weren't but the 4 of us, who have been playing since day 1, got completely destroyed by 4 mobs in the open world. This was right inside the zone too and Colin mentioned that in the open world, mobs just get harder the further you go in. The mushroom dudes are nasty too and will team up to completely nuke entire groups with ease.

I dont doubt these mobs are hard, but your experience is very different from mine. I'm sure those not used to it will have a hard time, but I believe those used to it will be able do go through HoT just fine.

Jira

Thats a nice story Jira. I dont doubt these mobs are hard, but your experience is very different from mine. I dont mean this is a condensating way at all, but I think berserker gear is pretty trivial. I'm sure those not used to it will have a hard time, but I believe those used to it will be able do go through HoT just fine.

I guess I just have an issue where I see people (not you) who actively push the zerker meta onto everyone, even new players, as if they cannot play any other way because reasons. Personally it bores the shit out of me and I don't care if people play that way, I'd just prefer if people don't scream that everything be balanced around it. Luckily raids are seemingly being designed with the idea of roles and different build types being needed at different parts of different encounters. Certainly the break bar alone will ensure that people will have to bring control and that's even been evident just in the open world already.

Zeroth

I guess I just have an issue where I see people (not you) who actively push the zerker meta onto everyone, even new players, as if they cannot play any other way because reasons. Personally it bores the shit out of me and I don't care if people play that way, I'd just prefer if people don't scream that everything be balanced around it. Luckily raids are seemingly being designed with the idea of roles and different build types being needed at different parts of different encounters. Certainly the break bar alone will ensure that people will have to bring control and that's even been evident just in the open world already.

I definitely take issue at people enforcing a glass Cannon build on new players. I see berserker more along the lines of a very hard to master but rewarding style. Sadly the encounters in vanilla GW2 had a lower bar that made using berserker gear trivial to most without the skill aspect included, and I'm glad to see HoT changing that.

That said, I think people should fun whatever they have fun with. I enjoy the berserker style, and so do my friends, and I know they are skillful enough to pull it on HoT, so I predict we'll have a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom