• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
So does engineer get any more fun than just using the same 5 skills shooting at things?

I'm currently level 15 and I think I may be doing something wrong. :p

Engi is a lot of fun, the lower levels in this game suck ass though. Early this year or it might have been last year, I forgot, but they introduced a new leveling "experience", pretty much they dumb down the game at earlier levels; to make it more accessible, personally I think it was a huge mistake but whatever.

But yeah once you get to 80 you'll be using a lot more skills. Engi has the highest apm of the classes.

Asskicker

Thanks for the answers guys! :)

Engie is one of the higher skill floor classes. One of the main tools of an engie is their weapon kits. They replace your weapon skills with a new set of skills, specializing in a particular playstyle. Grenades, for example, give you different grenades to DPS, while the Toolkit gives you a bunch of support and defensive skills. What you should be doing is to carry one or more kits, swapping into one that fits the situation, and combining the different skills whenever possible. You can survive without using kits, but it's not as optimal, or as fun.

When do these kits become available?

Thorgal

It has the highest damage, at the cost of a micromanagement that will destroy your hands.

Wasn't that for berserker engi?

Condi rotation is easy and short.

After about 15 minutes I can pull it off in my sleep.

But it might also help that I use a controller.

Asskicker

Whao, seems like there's quite a lot I still have to learn!

Is there a suggested build to follow when leveling or does about everything work?

Condi rotation is easy and short.

16KT9DH.jpg

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Engineer_-_Condition_Grenadier

Morokh

Whao, seems like there's quite a lot I still have to learn!

Is there a suggested build to follow when leveling or does about everything work?

Everything works in open-world PVE, don't be afraid to experiment.

If you want to get a better overview of your class and test some things-out, jump in the PvP lobby, you'll have every skill and trait unlocked while you're there and you'll be able to test things a bit better than when being restricted by what you are given when levelling.

spiritfox

Metabattle for PvE is only really usable for dungeons, and frankly, you don't need that level of optimization for them. Just use it as a rough guide for what you can do, and do whatever is comfortable with you.

Asskicker

Everything works in open-world PVE, don't be afraid to experiment.

If you want to get a better overview of your class and test some things-out, jump in the PvP lobby, you'll have every skill and trait unlocked while you're there and you'll be able to test things a bit better than when being restricted by what you are given when levelling.

Is it easy to re-spec? Or doesn't it work that way?

Thanks again for all the kind reponses! :)

Fishious

Is it easy to re-spec? Or doesn't it work that way?

Thanks again for all the kind reponses! :)

To elaborate, you can respec whenever you want, but there is no way to refund the hero points you use to buy skill and trait lines. So any time you are out of combat you can switch between any of the skills and traits you've already unlocked, but once you've invested your hero points you can't get them back. So if you invest in alchemy and later decide you'd rather have explosives, there's no way to undo that choice.

That being said, by the time you reach 80 you will have enough hero points to unlock all skills and specializations barring the elite spec coming with Heart of Thorns. If you complete hero challenges you see around the world you'll unlock everything sooner. So if you regret your choice all you have to do is level a bit and do some hero challenges. Rest assured there's no way to permanently mess up your character.

RPGCrazied

Going to jump in, and check it out since its free somewhat. If I can play FF XIV at 1080p decently, I should be able to play this the same?

Callunah

Neo Member
Back in action!

Can I get an invite back into the guild? Gatsby.6730

edit: Callunah got me back in. Feels good to be home.

Glad to have you back, and so sorry I wasn't able to join the Princess Doll dance to welcome you home! Where is Roxie when we need a good terrorist!? LOL

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Glad to have you back, and so sorry I wasn't able to join the Princess Doll dance to welcome you home! Where is Roxie when we need a good terrorist!? LOL

your avatar is almost as terrifying as those stupid dolls.

Funny you should post that, I was just talking about that exact rotation to friend, and how it's a good example of theorycrafting vs reality.

That rotation is, on paper, the most optional damage output if you hit all the cooldowns perfectly and don't die while going through the rotation.

Whereas in-game, due to changing battle conditions, things that need to be dodged, or blocked, or reflected, or pulled, and so fourth, I find it very unlikely anyone will ever manage to do that full rotation even once, unhindered. I actually tried it for a while for the lols, and it was so unnatural, I think I became the worst Engineer in the game for a while. While conceptually I get why someone would want to do an optimal rotation like that, it really is pure theory in my book.

Unless the tank does his job, of course, leaving the DPS to play with their tinkertoy macros.*

*Sarcasm. :p

Groovy. How are the story quests? Does the story force you into dungeons like FF XIV?

All dungeons are 100% optional, and act as a side-story. I'd recommend doing them when you hit the levels for them, if just because they're actually pretty cool, and I'm sure you can find GAF people to tag along and explain things. They're not overly complex though.

As for the story (called Personal Story), it has 'chapters' that unlock at specific levels (every 10 levels) - you'll be told where to go and who to see when the time is right. I recommend playing the start( it's a little instanced zone), then following the in-game guide arrow and exploring the starter zone. You can go to any race's starter zones, so if you feel overlevelled for one zone but underlevelled for another, explore the other starter zones.

I find the Personal Story pretty good, but it changes depending on what race you pick, and what choices you pick while making your character. They all end up in the same place eventually, with some branches based on choices. Some paths are more interesting than others, based on personal tastes.

You'll see these gold Renown Hearts on the map. Just to note, they are aren't 'quests', just areas where stuff happens and when you complete some objectives, a vendor unlocks under the heart. Dynamic Events (think FATES) happen all around the world, hooking up with one is a great way to level, and they're often part of a chain. There are no quest NPCs with ! over their heads, basically, there /are/ no quests. Just stuff to do.

RI9uj5y.jpg

So when you find a heart, check the top right of the UI and see what it wants. Dynamic Events often start at hearts or move past them, tag along with one if you spot them (you'll see a notification that there is one near, or happening).

Gotta warn you though. GW2 and FFXIV are almost polar opposites in a lot of ways, so try to approach GW2 with a "Beginner's Mind", and don't expect it to behave like FFXIV.

RPGCrazied

Funny you should post that, I was just talking about that exact rotation to friend, and how it's a good example of theorycrafting vs reality.

That rotation is, on paper, the most optional damage output if you hit all the cooldowns perfectly and don't die while going through the rotation.

Whereas in-game, due to changing battle conditions, things that need to be dodged, or blocked, or reflected, or pulled, and so fourth, I find it very unlikely anyone will ever manage to do that full rotation even once, unhindered. I actually tried it for a while for the lols, and it was so unnatural, I think I became the worst Engineer in the game for a while. While conceptually I get why someone would want to do an optimal rotation like that, it really is pure theory in my book.

Unless the tank does his job, of course, leaving the DPS to play with their tinkertoy macros.*

*Sarcasm. :p

All dungeons are 100% optional, and act as a side-story. I'd recommend doing them when you hit the levels for them, if just because they're actually pretty cool, and I'm sure you can find GAF people to tag along and explain things. They're not overly complex though.

K, does the game have a LFG? and what is the class recommend for a newbie? I was looking at the necromancer.

K, does the game have a LFG? and what is the class recommend for a newbie? I was looking at the necromancer.

It does have a LFG, on the "social panel" where the friends list is, it's one of the tabs. It's not an automatic filler like FFXIV, it's basically a place where you select what dungeon you want to do, and see if there are any advertised parties. If not, you can click 'create party' and say you're doing the 'story' version of the dungeon (all dungeons have multiple modes, story - which is the story version, and Explore versions which unlock once you've finished a dungeon's story, and those Explore versions have multiple paths.)

Necromancer isn't a bad newbie choice, it has super high survivability, but can be a bit tricky to get a feel for. Warrior and Ranger are what I would say are 'easy choices' for new players, but honestly, you should probably try all the professions and see which one clicks.

RPGCrazied

It does have a LFG, on the "social panel" where the friends list is, it's one of the tabs. It's not an automatic filler like FFXIV, it's basically a place where you select what dungeon you want to do, and see if there are any advertised parties. If not, you can click 'create party' and say you're doing the 'story' version of the dungeon (all dungeons have multiple modes, story - which is the story version, and Explore versions which unlock once you've finished a dungeon's story, and those Explore versions have multiple paths.)

Necromancer isn't a bad newbie choice, it has super high survivability, but can be a bit tricky to get a feel for. Warrior and Ranger are what I would say are 'easy choices' for new players, but honestly, you should probably try all the professions and see which one clicks.

Thanks for all the writes up! I'll try the necromancer first and play around with it, though free accounts I think only get one character. And no quests at all? I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe this is the wrong game for me, I really don't play with others much, I mostly play solo. I know, I know, its an MMO. LOL

Thanks for all the writes up! I'll try the necromancer first and play around with it, though free accounts I think only get one character. And no quests at all? I don't know how I feel about that. Maybe this is the wrong game for me, I really don't play with others much, I mostly play solo. I know, I know, its an MMO. LOL

Oh, don't misunderstand - you can go from 1 to 80, and see all the story, perfectly solo. There's no kill stealing, so everything is naturally a lot more cooperative. Anyone can heal themselves, and others to a degree. Anyone can revive anyone. So you're not stuck looking for a healer at any time. I actually think GW2 is a lot more solo friendly than what I saw in my time with FFXIV, actually.

It's just not quite structured the same way as most MMOs, where you go to a hub, find the questgivers, get the list of quests, then go do them.

You could see the Renown Hearts as quests - go around the map, doing each one (they fill in when you've completed them). But that would also be a little boring, so I recommend just going where you want, seeing what's there, following something interesting. It'll make more sense in the game, I think. There's a lot to the game that's kind of... ambient. Stuff will happen, you'll participate, and suddenly a heart will fill up and you'll get a reward. It's a bit more free-form, outside the Personal Story instanced missions.

Groovy. How are the story quests? Does the story force you into dungeons like FF XIV?

Only the final mission. The very last mission is the last dungeon where you go to take down the big baddie and it requires you get a team to do. That won't be a problem for you though since you have GAF and again, it's only the very last mission that forces you into a dungeon. By then, you'll be the max level and have some experience under your belt.

Only the final mission. The very last mission is the last dungeon where you go to take down the big baddie and it requires you get a team to do. That won't be a problem for you though since you have GAF and again, it's only the very last mission that forces you into a dungeon. By then, you'll be the max level and have some experience under your belt.

They changed that, it's now a story instance instead of a dungeon instance.

The story step “Victory or Death” and “The Ruined City of Arah (story)” dungeon were merged and revised to support 1–5 players.

Taffer

There's always something to do nearby even if they're not quests like you expect. Don't worry about playing solo either, I spent a long time in this game before I touched the group stuff.

Fishious

I've played over 1500 hours and I've probably done ~60% of that "solo". The only content you really need to group for is dungeons and fractals which are both optional. I say "solo" because dynamic events happen out in the world and anyone is free to participate and everyone's efforts go towards completing the event. There's no kill stealing, everyone gets full rewards and loot so players are encouraged to cooperate. For open world content people rarely group up, but you'll usually find players will organically gather at events so you'll rarely ever be alone.

RPGCrazied

There's always something to do nearby even if they're not quests like you expect. Don't worry about playing solo either, I spent a long time in this game before I touched the group stuff.

I've played over 1500 hours and I've probably done ~60% of that "solo". The only content you really need to group for is dungeons and fractals which are both optional. I say "solo" because dynamic events happen out in the world and anyone is free to participate and everyone's efforts go towards completing the event. There's no kill stealing, everyone gets full rewards and loot so players are encouraged to cooperate. For open world content people rarely group up, but you'll usually find players will organically gather at events so you'll rarely ever be alone.

Sweet, I probably will enjoy it then. Hopefully I'll like it a lot and buy Heart of Thrones or whatever its called. :p

Can you tell me what Beserker build you'll run during beta so I don't have to think about it?

I haven't completely decided yet.

-Strength/Arms/Berserker are probably the highest DPS specializations for a solo Berserker Berserker Greatsword build and possibly the highest DPS of any Warrior build. You lose the utility of the Discipline line though, so other than soloing something big where you are camping Greatsword anyway, I don't really see this being the best build for general open world traversal. I'd play Strength/Discipline/Berserker and give up some DPS just for the quality of life improvements.

-Strength/Tactics/Berserker would work for a Phalanx Strength variation, but I don't think Berserker will be considered a better choice over the current Arms build (unless you need the increased survivability traits more than DPS, which could be a possibility in HoT).

-Arms/Discipline/Berserker for a condition build maybe? Who knows for Sinister Berserker. Arms and Berserker for sure, but I just don't know between Tactics and Discipline. No matter whether you are using Longbow or Torch, you don't want to be locked into either for 10 seconds if you have the option to be using dual Swords, so I feel like Discipline is necessary just for Fast Hands. Then you have to decide whether you want Sword+Sword/Longbow or Sword+Sword/Sword+Torch. Sword+Torch/Longbow gives you more burn stacks at the expense of losing torment and a large amount of bleeding, so I don't know how that shakes out. Berserker has a bunch of burning traits going on, and with the current strength of burning, it could be worth considering. You could maybe even go Arms/Tactics/Berserker in that case for the Longbow Burning Arrows trait, but again you lose Fast Hands, and I don't know if that extra time spent using Longbow keeps up with being able to swap back to Sword sooner. This doesn't even touch on things like the Primal Burst skills getting more conditions, so even something like mainhand Mace could find a lot of use. Regardless of what the "optimal" condition build ends up being, there are a ton of options to choose from.

TL;DR - Strength/Discipline/Berserker (like this) with Greatsword/Axe+Sword or Greatsword/Longbow (and all Berserker gear) is most likely what I'll be playing while in the Verdant Brink, but I'll be trying out other stuff too.

Ashodin

Sigh. Nike from dnt gets the discussion started early about meta raid compositions.

He's not wrong about wanting to being the classes for their respective group wide buffs: strength in numbers et al.

But my problem is him assuming any sort of burn phase will be incorporated into an encounter where you need to stack.

I'm also assuming he thinks Berserker meta applies here as well.

That type of thinking leads me to feel like WoW's "you must bring your warrior to our raid, sorry" is coming to GW2 for some unfortunate guild. And that's just sad.

Zeroth

Sigh. Nike from dnt gets the discussion started early about meta raid compositions.

He's not wrong about wanting to being the classes for their respective group wide buffs: strength in numbers et al.

But my problem is him assuming any sort of burn phase will be incorporated into an encounter where you need to stack.

I'm also assuming he thinks Berserker meta applies here as well.

That type of thinking leads me to feel like WoW's "you must bring your warrior to our raid, sorry" is coming to GW2 for some unfortunate guild. And that's just sad.

As long one can avoid or mitigate damage through use of active defenses, berserker will be optimal because you dish more damage.

That said, Nike's points are perfectly valid for any composition, since all builds, berserker or not, would benefit from it. He is just contextualizing it to the current damage meta.

Ashodin

I'm not assuming there will be avoidable damage in the fights. I'm also assuming there will be parts of the fight where you can't stay close by.

Plus any raid I run will not be looking to "optimize bringing x class". I'll advocate changing builds for the encounter, but not for having one of every class just for those buffs.

Qm9FvDM.png

;)

I'm actually in the process of building an Ascended sinister set, got 3 of 6 pieces done, and once I get enough bandit crests to buy the weapon inscription, I can convert an existing Ascended pistol to the sinister stats (so glad they added the ability to reroll ascended stats). I'm not sure if I'll stick with Sinister (I find my Celestial engineer is 100% adequate at all the things I do), but it's worth trying out. And since Ascended is account bound, I can just give it to a different character if I don't like it on my Engineer.

nataku

Raven and Parrot mail carriers are up on the TP for super cheap right now. There's a reddit post that says 10s, but when I logged in to get them they were 27s and 30s. Cheap enough, IMO.

After losing like 4 hours in my first jumping puzzle I gave up. So hard. The puzzle in question is in Gendarran Fields...

Oh gosh, were you trying the Hidden Base thingy with all the Aetherblades and the jump pads and such? That's one of the newest ones added, and totally hard. I'm sorry that ended up being your first one, you should try the easier ones in like, Plains of Ashford.

Jira

After losing like 4 hours in my first jumping puzzle I gave up. So hard. The puzzle in question is in Gendarran Fields...

Oh dear...you did Not So Secret as your first JP? You need to ease yourself into it by doing the one in Queensdale (Southeast corner of the map near the centaurs).

Oh gosh, were you trying the Hidden Base thingy with all the Aetherblades and the jump pads and such? That's one of the newest ones added, and totally hard. I'm sorry that ended up being your first one, you should try the easier ones in like, Plains of Ashford.

Dude, no, that one is not easy either for new players. Hell, it's so well hidden that he may not find it.

If it was Not So Secret, that is the hardest jumping puzzle in the game, and I feel very sorry for anyone who is unfortunate enough to suffer through it as their first jumping puzzle experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom