• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

yay watchwork mining pick is finally mine. glad it was on sale with the others because I would have been torn as I really wanted to get Watchwork Sprockets to sell.

I also think I might have some time to actually sit down and play again, mostly just been doing my daily log ins recently, been busy with other stuff :/

spiritfox

Herald is pretty great. I like that you can pretty much upkeep at least 1 facet forever.

Reaper hits hard now. I like it.

Daredevil's dodges are a bit clunky, and the Dash does not work well with latency at all. Their utilities are damn fun though.

Haven't really played Berserker, but it seems fine. I think a condi build would work best on them.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If you hate the genre or are more story driven you are better off playing FF14 or sticking to single player games.

I actually really like MMOs. It just feels like I should be playing another MMO or something if this isn't radically different. I played free trial versions of like The Secret World and Final Fantasy 14, and I think I liked both of them better than this. (To be fair, TSW was a while ago.)

It's not a bad game or anything, it just doesn't feel like it's grabbing me

I'll give it to level 25 or 30 or so and see how I feel

Spyware

I actually really like MMOs. It just feels like I should be playing another MMO or something if this isn't radically different. I played free trial versions of like The Secret World and Final Fantasy 14, and I think I liked both of them better than this. (To be fair, TSW was a while ago.)

Huh, if someone asked me I would call GW2 pretty radically different from WoW and the clones like FFXIV (which is a game I like for completely different reasons but only when I can look past that horrible global cooldown).
GW2 is built on a completely different foundation. What do you feel make them similar? Of course it could just be that the "traditional" types of MMOs are just more your style.

Did you try another class? Which one are you playing? The class you pick is so extremely important. Some need to try lots of them until they find one that clicks.
Are you exploring or just running from task to task as if following a checklist? It's important to almost stop looking at the map and just... Explore. At least now and then. Go to somewhere that looks interesting and don't stay and "grind out" a heart if it isn't fun atm. This is best done in the other 4 starter zones after you've finished the first so that levels are no problem.

Indignate

Thanks for the tips, especially on how to deposit all your mats at once! Wasn't aware about the bonus exp from food either. I haven't even touched the gathering/crafting stuff yet. I see to starting some of that next. Any particular profession I should focus on or is switching back and forth between them not a big deal?

I don't think I can go to Lion's Arch or WvW yet as I'm still under a free account until next week, so I'll jump into that stuff then (although I think there are waypoints active to those starter areas).

Played daredevil a little bit tonight, my initial thoughts:

Overall it's very clunky. All of the grandmaster traited dodges lock you into an animation so you can't move at the end.

Staff feels redundant. Sword/pistol does its job better. Staff has more mobility but I'm not sure it's a good trade off for pulsing blinds, cc on demand, and better damage. The auto attack animations could be better, I want to feel the WHACK but it's just like you're swatting something gently and then twirling a baton. Snore

The utilities are very good though. Punching stuff is fun but I think the initial damage could be higher. The block is very useful. The heal looks good but I'm too attached to the current heal options, I'm sure I'll find a good use for it though. Not sure how good the elite will be in PvE but I think they made it with pvp in mind anyways.

If they smooth out the traited dodges I think it would be really good. The trait line is worth it for the utilities and the extra dodges even if staff ends up being super niche.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Daredevil's dodges are a bit clunky, and the Dash does not work well with latency at all. Their utilities are damn fun though.

That's literally the most written phrase in regards to the class on reddit.

I actually found the running forward dodge to be broken. In two regards. 1) It made the game super easy. 2) It wouldn't always get rid of conditions.

Dead

well not really...yet
Not a big Daredevil fan. Thief being my least favorite class, this isn't making me want to change my mind...

Thanks for the tips, especially on how to deposit all your mats at once! Wasn't aware about the bonus exp from food either. I haven't even touched the gathering/crafting stuff yet. I see to starting some of that next. Any particular profession I should focus on or is switching back and forth between them not a big deal?

I don't think I can go to Lion's Arch or WvW yet as I'm still under a free account until next week, so I'll jump into that stuff then (although I think there are waypoints active to those starter areas).

Generally it's a good idea to focus on the crafting professions that match your class: heavy armour comes from Armorsmith, but Medium classes like Engineer use Leatherworking to make armor.

1WRiSxa.png

Cooking isn't a bad one either, for the buffs.

You can have a maximum of two crafting disciplines (you can buy more "slots" with gems, but not really needed), and you can swap them out at any time for a small fee (that goes up as the profession goes up, but it's negligable).

Crafting gives a lot of XP, and it might seem a bit confusing at first, but it's not that bad. The only real trick is the 'Discovery' panel, where you combine things you've made or found, to unlock recipes. Cooking is fun that way, like bread + butter = toast, kind of thing.

I really think it's the profession you're playing. Once you find one that you enjoy the combat with, how it works, and so on - the rest of the game will come together. I think GW2 is pretty dramatically different from other MMOs, especially FFXIV, but it's not immediately apparent how different it is. You have to start getting into dungeons (level 30), world bosses, Living World events and such, and get to a point where usually an MMO would make you sit on a gear treadmill, before you really see what GW2 is trying to do (what I call low input high output, as opposed to FFXIV which is high input low output).

For me, GW2 was everything I ever wanted when I realized I didn't have to sit for 20 minutes in LFG waiting for a tank or a healer. :p

Retro

Free accounts supposedly (I haven't seen it myself, obviously) have a waypoint unlocked in the 5 racial capitols, meaning you don't need to travel through Lion's Arch to reach the other races' starting zones. Rata Sum (Asura) and the Grove (SylvarI) are in the far west, Divinity's Reach (Human) and Hoelbrak (Norn) are in the middle and the Black Citadel (Charr) is in the east. Each starting area is fairly different (even the Asuran and Sylvari starting areas, even though they're both in the jungle) and gives you a sense of each race's lore and outlook. The Asuran and Norn starting areas are probably my favorite.

Also, to chime in on the "Don't just do the hearts" comments, I'd like to add that any dynamic event that occurs near a heart will generally give you credit for both. Hearts were added to the game because their testers were so used to other MMOs leading them by the nose that they didn't know where to go. Hearts are plopped out in the world in places where events usually trigger; they're just there to give you a direction to head.

Be sure to watch for NPCs running around and flagging you down; they're almost always going to point you towards an event that's going on nearby. One of the developers talked about how early testers ignored these NPCs' pleas for help because they didn't have a bright yellow exclamation point over their heads, so... the game will generally tell you what's going on but it's not going to put a flashing neon sign over everything important.

Indignate

Crafting gives a lot of XP, and it might seem a bit confusing at first, but it's not that bad. The only real trick is the 'Discovery' panel, where you combine things you've made or found, to unlock recipes. Cooking is fun that way, like bread + butter = toast, kind of thing.

Yeah, it seems rather convoluted, but I'm sure it's something that becomes second nature with time. Thanks for all the help so far.

Yeah, you get the first waypoint right outside the capitals.

Generally, I was using the hearts as a guide to doing the content around it, either finding stuff for map completion or doing the events. I have definitely seen the npcs that jumpstart the events when you talk to them, but the events just seem like most of them are designed for large groups, so I kind of just avoid them if I'm alone (unless they are soloable, I honestly haven't really tried doing them by myself). It's great though when you accidentally form of group of people who just happen to be doing the same stuff.

Now that I'm exploring other starter areas, how does exp scaling work? Since they have this whole level scaling thing, am I actually receiving adequate experience in these areas?

events when you talk to them, but the events just seem like most of them are designed for large groups, so I kind of just avoid them if I'm alone (unless they are soloable, I honestly haven't really tried doing them by myself). It's great though when you accidentally form of group of people who just happen to be doing the same stuff.

Now that I'm exploring other starter areas, how does exp scaling work? Since they have this whole level scaling thing, am I actually receiving adequate experience in these areas?
Events are typically soloable, though group events can be harder to do (group events are labeled).

XP scaling works fine, you should have minimal or no noticeable drop in xp or loot.

Ashodin

I think our GAF Guild logo is pretty standard, but I'm wondering about changing it for Heart of Thorns, to get a better "sense of pride".

At this point, we have so many that are within and without of GAF in the guild, I think keeping it a "ball shape" is not necessary, but I think when HoT comes out I'd like to do a poll on what to choose instead of what we currently have.

I feel like we should pick an emblem that is more of a rallying cry than what we currently have.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, it seems rather convoluted, but I'm sure it's something that becomes second nature with time. Thanks for all the help so far.

Yeah, you get the first waypoint right outside the capitals.

Generally, I was using the hearts as a guide to doing the content around it, either finding stuff for map completion or doing the events. I have definitely seen the npcs that jumpstart the events when you talk to them, but the events just seem like most of them are designed for large groups, so I kind of just avoid them if I'm alone (unless they are soloable, I honestly haven't really tried doing them by myself). It's great though when you accidentally form of group of people who just happen to be doing the same stuff.
Many events are soloable, and unless the phrase [Group Event] appears they are designed to be such.
Yes. I leveled from about 65-75 solely in starter areas on one of my characters.

edit: ...damnit didn't see ninja's response.

nataku

I think our GAF Guild logo is pretty standard, but I'm wondering about changing it for Heart of Thorns, to get a better "sense of pride".

At this point, we have so many that are within and without of GAF in the guild, I think keeping it a "ball shape" is not necessary, but I think when HoT comes out I'd like to do a poll on what to choose instead of what we currently have.

I feel like we should pick an emblem that is more of a rallying cry than what we currently have.

I never really liked the logo so I have no issue with changing it.

I never liked the name, either, but we can't really do anything about that :p

Nemecyst

I convinced 2 more friends to try guild wars. They are loving it. Are they able to get invited to guild? All This Ramen.5402 and Lemnas.4602

Proven

Need to make a quick shout out post for Taffer to check his PMs or in-game mail ASAP.

Edit: Might as well to add some quick Daredevil impressions:

Daredevil dodges are the same length and invulnerability period as regular dodges: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2...vil_dodge_durations_compared_to_normal_dodge/

They just have to smooth out the animation. I need to do PvP later, but from just PvE it seems as if Daredevil has perfected my Deathblossom Thief build. The extra dodge, evade to remove conditions, and a few other things has increased my survivability at the loss of the Poison traits from Deadly Arts. It sucks not having that 33% chance for Poison (the stacks you can get from a few Deathblossoms was insane...) but I keep Acrobatics and Trickery and can stay in range of an opponent almost indefinitely. The only thing that pushes me out is a bunch of long lasting AoEs at their feet.

I've also been trying out Staff, and it might replace Shortbow for me. In the context of my build, both provide me with a "gtfo" card, extra evasion, and combo finishers. Shortbow does more damage with it's Bleed and Poison, and has the all important Blast Finisher. But overall I prefer Staff as it provides Weakness, counters Immobilize without needing to use 6 Initiative, and let's me do more Whirl Finishers for funsies (although when I'm in a Fire Field it's no joke). Staff is even more of a defensive weapon than Shortbow, and I hope it stays that way, although I do suspect people are going to complain that it does too little damage for the common Berserker melee range specs.

If I accepted Daredevil as a separate class, I'd probably use the Physical skills more and focus on interrupt strategies especially. It would be really, really fun. But for now Daredevil completes my build and will be what I do for the foreseeable future. I'm happy.

Well, I still have to take it to PvP.

Retro

Guild Missions in one hour!
For our newer players, please be aware that while we select which mission type we do, the actual mission (or more specifically, the level of the area the mission occurs in) is entirely random. You may not be able to participate in some of the missions if they're in higher level zones, but don't worry; missions aren't going anywhere and we won't stop doing them any time soon, so you'll be able to get your commendations at a later date.

Guild Missions in one hour!
For our newer players, please be aware that while we select which mission type we do, the actual mission (or more specifically, the level of the area the mission occurs in) is entirely random. You may not be able to participate in some of the missions if they're in higher level zones, but don't worry; missions aren't going anywhere and we won't stop doing them any time soon, so you'll be able to get your commendations at a later date.

I shall join!

I'm sorry.

Had to step out of guild missions (I am designated milkshake driver it seems), but would love to hit up some content here in about 10 minutes.

Indignate

Whelp, somehow this game just took $100 from me.

Sucks that the gems take longer to get deposited as I was hoping on picking up some bank slots before the sale ended.

Spyware

(Made this on my phone in the middle of the night so I hope it comes out okay!)

Saw that crafting was brought up and with so many new players I figured it might be a good idea to repost my "guide" to crafting that I wrote a year ago. Reworded it a bit so that it's not directed at the specific person I made it to originally, I hope it works okay this way. :)

Spyware's wonky guide to how the heck crafting works:

You have 2 different ways to craft stuff, and mostly you have to combine these two ways to get something useful (unless you have a recipe).
In this "guide" I use Huntsman but it's the same thing for all the jobs, just with different names ;P Jewelcrafting and Cooking is slighly different but it's still the same idea.

The second tab in the crafting window is "Production". You should start here and specifically with Refinement.
After a bunch of crafing levels new stuff will appear in this list. First as red items that you can't use yet, then they become more yellow, green and pale and that shows how much exp you get for crafting them (lower exp the more pale they get, ending with grey = zero exp).

The Lump of Tin and other such extra ingredients are bought from the crafting vendor, the main stuff is found in the world.

Start out by making lots of this early stuff. It's best to do it now when it still gives exp. Only reason not to make as much as you can is space and if you wanna craft on other characters. I usually at least make a bunch of each until they are all grey.

Then it's time to make the specific weapon or armor parts! To make a pistol for example, you have to craft both the barrel and the frame. All such components are in the component list.

I wish that was the end of it, but sadly you have to give it some kind of power too.
So we have to go to Inscriptions (or insignia for armor)

All weapons need an inscription, all armor need insignias. The materials here depends on what stats you want the weapon or armor to have. You have to craft the same tier of inscription as the weapon/armor. For example Green Wood and Bronze go together, you can't craft the Bronze and Green Wood weapon parts and then add an inscription made from Soft Wood.

When you have these three parts you need, go to the Discovery tab.

Here your parts will show up and you have to combine them. This is only done the first time, after that the character knows how to make the item and it will be in the list under "pistol" (or whatever thing you made) as a known recipe. Only the chosen stat version will show up tho (like Mighty Pistol), the others have to be discovered separately.
The other stuff in this list makes things like sigils and you have to "discover" them to learn what they do.

Here is an example of a random discovery.

Red icons means I don't have enough levels in this prof to use them. If I hover over them they say "Huntsman (400)" and I'm only 387 so that's a no go. If you can't match anything then you don't have the materials necessary (often it's those slivers and orbs and stuff that are pretty rare drops).
There is always a level to the discoveries, and the closer to your crafting level, the more exp you get. Crafting already known recipes gives exp (as long as they are colored) but it's way less than discovering stuff. So for leveling Huntsman up you basically craft a bunch of pistol parts and then all the different inscriptions to discover all the different stat versions of pistols. Then you make the next type, for example all the rifles. This gives massive exp!

Mxrz

Didn't notice any problem with the Daredevil dodges. New animation, sure, but seemed to work about the same. Facing the wrong direction was annoying, but sounds like thats a bug.

Messed around with Berseker. Had to settle for a Rampager's & krait setup. The torch feels great, as does headbutt & the stun break. Rest were iffy. Probably not the dps king, but beats spamming hundred blades and axe autos for another year.

Retro

A Bit of Guild News:
Hawkian, Ash and I have been talking it over lately and have decided to promote UltimateIke to Guild Leader status! Not only has he been helpful in getting missions done for a while now, but he's been exceptionally patient in sharing his knowledge and organizational skills running the weekly dungeon events (which isn't to say that all of our officers haven't been doing an awesome job though). With Heart of Thorns looking to be more challenging and raids requiring an extra degree of coordination, we felt like it was a good time to add more people who can get things started and keep them running smoothly.

zulux21

randomly decided to move my alt account from level 22 to 80 (I will get to 80 on my main eventually naturally :p)

I was wondering with the exotic equipment is it better to salvage for parts or throw them in the mystic forge?

Qurupeke

The personal story is really long at the final few chapters. Battle after battle, boss after boss and as I saw on the wiki, it's like that till the end. Also, it's keep being harder and harder. It's not streamlined any more, but more like keep hitting the enemy until it dies and avoid hits.

randomly decided to move my alt account from level 22 to 80 (I will get to 80 on my main eventually naturally :p)

I was wondering with the exotic equipment is it better to salvage for parts or throw them in the mystic forge?
Mystic forging is usually not worth it unless you are looking for a precursor or you have stuff you can't vendor, sell on tp, or salvage (karma gear, for example).

Most of he time, its better to sell an exotic on trade post, though the rune/sigil on it may be worth most of or all the value. In that case, salvage it and sell the rune. Some exotics are account bound, so salvage those if you can't use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom