• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can stack XP food boosts? So if I buy a load of different food types they stack?

TO THE TRADING POST!

Not with each other - I just meant that if you eat food that has a +xp boost effect, that stacks with things like birthday boosters and black lion xp boosters.

I think the max amount of different xp boosters you can have active all at the same time is:

Experience Booster + Improved Experience Booster +Killstreak Experience Booster + Laureate Experience Booster + Food experience boost + Utility experience boost + Guild Exp Banner + Celebration Booster.

spiritfox

zFZA24q.jpg

Ahahahaha. Hah.

Spyware

I like the silhouette of the shoulders actually and with nice dyes and ofc no helm it wouldn't be that bad on a sylvari in my opinion. Not gonna buy it tho, but that I knew all the way back when it was datamined.

The reactions made me think they made a new version that looked worse than what we had already seen :p

Taffer

I like the silhouette of the shoulders actually and with nice dyes and ofc no helm it wouldn't be that bad on a sylvari in my opinion. Not gonna buy it tho, but that I knew all the way back when it was datamined.

The reactions made me think they made a new version that looked worse than what we had already seen :p

Didn't realise it was an outfit at first and was going to say it looks rank but I expect Spyware to cherry-pick the good bits and make me wrong.
Confirmed rank now though.

Thorgal

Rumor has it that the criminal underworld got a new leader after the old one got whacked .

They say she is merciless and nothing is beneath her doing if it will make her richer .

Some even gossip that she has the queen in her own pocket through blackmail with embarrassing pictures taken of her with Logan at lasts years wintersday .

gw22015-09-0720-39-15mqk8e.jpg

gw22015-09-0720-41-13c4kko.jpg

So, I think I'm going to start doing a few things to try and maximize my time spent playing GW2, without just grinding --

First, I'm going to try and fill up my wardrobe some -- mainly focusing on armors and weapons that can be gotten through either the TP or Karma vendors. As it is I have a pretty poor selection of styles to create.
What I'd like to know, is if there are any resources that will make this easier? Any sort of tracking website, or "You can get this skin for super cheap with X method" sorts of things?

Also related to the first one, is I'm going to try and use dungeons to level up my characters, instead of just waltzing around the world forever. This will give me a bunch of tokens that'll help me get armor/weapons from them too. Is it feasible to level up focusing on world events and dungeons?

I also want to do more interesting things in general. Much of my time has been spent just walking around the world a million times because for whatever reason I just really really like making new characters, and it's boring as all hell now. Does PvP give levels? Is it slower if Im an average player?

Retro

Rumor has it that the criminal underworld got a new leader after the old one got whacked.

Adorable.

What I'd like to know, is if there are any resources that will make this easier? Any sort of tracking website, or "You can get this skin for super cheap with X method" sorts of things?

I used this; https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/235gus/unique_skins_from_karma_vendors_and_personal/

Also related to the first one, is I'm going to try and use dungeons to level up my characters, instead of just waltzing around the world forever. This will give me a bunch of tokens that'll help me get armor/weapons from them too. Is it feasible to level up focusing on world events and dungeons?

A full dungeon clear will usually give you about a full level, give or take. The problem is going to be finding groups who won't instantly kick you for not being level 80, even if you avoid the ones marked "Meta", "80 only", etc. Your best bet (after asking in guild chat) is to make your own LFG and advertise that you're Anti-meta, or "All Welcome". I've never had an LFG fill quicker than when I advertised it as "Are you meta? GO AWAY, we want the noobiest bunch of noobs that ever noobed!."

Also be sure to try and make it to Ike's dungeon events on Sunday afternoons, as we've been hitting some dungeons and paths that very few people run.

I also want to do more interesting things in general. Much of my time has been spent just walking around the world a million times because for whatever reason I just really really like making new characters, and it's boring as all hell now. Does PvP give levels? Is it slower if Im an average player?

PVP reward tracks are broken up into 8 tiers, and each tier has 5 rewards. The fourth reward will always be a Tome of Knowledge, which grants you one level when used. You can pop a Birthday/Celebration Booster to maximize your Reward Track gains. How well you do depends entirely upon how good you are at PVP (which may include learning the PVP meta builds, finding people to regularly play with, etc.). You can ask in guild chat, people usually bunch up into informal groups every so often.

Spyware

Rumor has it that the criminal underworld got a new leader after the old one got whacked .

They say she is merciless and nothing is beneath her doing if it will make her richer .

Some even gossip that she has the queen in her own pocket through blackmail with embarrassing pictures taken of her with Logan at lasts years wintersday .
Awwwwwww, so fiercely adorable ;D

Adorable.

I used this; https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/235gus/unique_skins_from_karma_vendors_and_personal/

A full dungeon clear will usually give you about a full level, give or take. The problem is going to be finding groups who won't instantly kick you for not being level 80, even if you avoid the ones marked "Meta", "80 only", etc. Your best bet (after asking in guild chat) is to make your own LFG and advertise that you're Anti-meta, or "All Welcome". I've never had an LFG fill quicker than when I advertised it as "Are you meta? GO AWAY, we want the noobiest bunch of noobs that ever noobed!."

Also be sure to try and make it to Ike's dungeon events on Sunday afternoons, as we've been hitting some dungeons and paths that very few people run.

PVP reward tracks are broken up into 8 tiers, and each tier has 5 rewards. The fourth reward will always be a Tome of Knowledge, which grants you one level when used. You can pop a Birthday/Celebration Booster to maximize your Reward Track gains. How well you do depends entirely upon how good you are at PVP (which may include learning the PVP meta builds, finding people to regularly play with, etc.). You can ask in guild chat, people usually bunch up into informal groups every so often.

Good information! I'll bookmark that link, and yeah I think I was in that run last night actually! I will also spam the LFG tool, as I too am a noob.

What's a good starting point for PvP? I remember doing some king of the hill type of game as an Engie, where I would toss turrets everywhere and hold shit the fuck down. (of course, I don't think that will work anymore. T-T)

Retro

What's a good starting point for PvP? I remember doing some king of the hill type of game as an Engie, where I would toss turrets everywhere and hold shit the fuck down. (of course, I don't think that will work anymore. T-T)

I don't PVP much, but I'm pretty sure Turret Engineer is still a really good bunker build.

There's also a Deathmatch mode but it's not particularly great, in my opinion. Stronghold is kind of a MOBA-style PVP thing, but it won't be out until HoT (pretty sure you can test it now though if you pre-ordered).

Zeroth

I don't PVP much, but I'm pretty sure Turret Engineer is still a really good bunker build.

There's also a Deathmatch mode but it's not particularly great, in my opinion. Stronghold is kind of a MOBA-style PVP thing, but it won't be out until HoT (pretty sure you can test it now though if you pre-ordered).

Turret engi is no longer a viable bunker build since they made turrets vulnerable to critical hits and conditions (which is good because it was a game-ruining build).

I would pick a meta pvp build and tailor it to your needs.

Turret engi is no longer a viable bunker build since they made turrets vulnerable to critical hits and conditions (which is good because it was a game-ruining build).

I would pick a meta pvp build and tailor it to your needs.

The issue isn't that it was viable, it's that it was too good. It's never a good thing for something to be completely unviable.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Re-downloaded the game for the first time in a while and made a new engineer. Revisiting GW2, I really love the zones. For someone who enjoys exploration in games, this one does a good job of scratching that itch. =D

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so what is classed as end game gear ascended items ?

Re-downloaded the game for the first time in a while and made a new engineer. Revisiting GW2, I really love the zones. For someone who enjoys exploration in games, this one does a good job of scratching that itch. =D

WoodenPotatoes has some videos were he talks about playing with the minimap disabled. He says it's a game changer because you're forced to navigate on completely different terms:eek:

So, I think I'm going to start doing a few things to try and maximize my time spent playing GW2, without just grinding --

First, I'm going to try and fill up my wardrobe some -- mainly focusing on armors and weapons that can be gotten through either the TP or Karma vendors. As it is I have a pretty poor selection of styles to create.

Yesterday I hit a major milestone - I got the achievement for 1000 unique unlocked skins for my account ( http://dulfy.net/2014/04/17/gw2-fashion-collector-title-guide/ ). I think that besides Ashodin, I probably have the most Greatswords unlocked, and that makes me feel important;D

Here is what I can tell you; Every facet of the game has unique skins you can get by just working on that specific thing.

The Dungeons each have their own sets, and they cannot be bought on the trading post, so if you want these, you will need to do the corresponding dungeon. It's dooable to get a set in a week. You get 60 Dungeon Token for each path you complete, but then it goes down. So you're incentivized to do each path- Once a day. Instead of grinding a dungeon 30 times in a single day;P

Crafting professions (Tailor, Leatherworking, Armorsmithing) all have their unique skins. Crafters put them on the trading post and they are often affordable, so you can get ahold of these skins by searching on their name.

Starting gear; Every profession has unique starter items that when you make a character you can unlock that skin. Necromancer Blue glow eyes, cool thief assassins creed hood, engineer backpack, guardian shoulderpads < all of these you get by just making a character. then it instantly unlocks for your account.

WvW; There are unique sets for WvW. Jump in the borderlands and talk to an armor vendor. You need a certain amount of Honor points to buy it, but you can also spend honor points to buy other rare gear.

Karma; In Orr there are exotic armors that are very popular. In the continent of Orr you fight massive bosses that unlocks a special vendor (each vendor with different stats). These armors cost no money but only Karma. A full set is about a quarter of a million karma points so its not too bad. But you cant salvage them.

World exploration; exploring the world and completing hearts and talking to odd vendors will sometimes yield unique armor skins not on the trading post. Some of them are quite obscure. these also cost karma, but cant be salvaged. If you are saving your money it can be a good idea to buy these as you travel the world.

My Advice; My advice is to figure out your ideal look. you can go to your bank, and view every armor in the game, and preview them). you can even test how they look with any dyes (by opening trading post, searching for the dye, while the preview window is open, and saying preview dye).

there are also some good sites like http://www.gw2armor.com/ and http://argos-soft.net/GW2/ArmorGallery/

that lets you preview armors on race/gender combos with select dyes.

They call it fashion wars 2, because this game really, allows you to customize yourself to the brink. The dye system is also hugely important to the greatness of it:)

Wanderer5

Back from my weekend trip. Too bad I had to miss the BWE, but well guess getting invited to this week's desert borderland stress test makes up for it a bit heh.

&#9734; NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 9 &#9734;

Event #1 - Shamans Rookery

Required Character Level: 1 (11 Recommended)
Required Zone: Wayfarer Foothills

Recommended Waypoint: Osenfold Waypoint

Zeroth, appletoasty, and I will be hosting bi-weekly jumping puzzle events. Just like the dungeon events, these are aimed specifically at new players or players who may have never attempted puzzles before, but everyone is welcome to join!

The events will take place 30 minutes after server reset (8:30 PM EDT) on Wednesday and Friday nights, and will be fairly quick, but they give us another good excuse to see our guild members' pretty faces.

Around 10 minutes before the event, we will hop into Mumble, and start collecting at the entrance to the zone to help anyone missing the waypoint. We'll hoof it to the puzzle together, and we can get started as soon as everyone is ready!

To sweeten the deal, anyone who makes it to the chest at the end of the puzzle and stays for a group photo will be entered into a weekly drawing for a five gold prize. Going to both events each week gives you two entries in the drawing, so be there!

Cobaltium

Hi nice to meet you guys. Just started playing this game after I bought it two years ago. I read the beginner stuff in the op. I have a necromancer and I looked up some guides online but I'm kind of lost. Is there some build thats better than rest or should I just do what I think is cool. Thanks in advance

My display name is Cobalt.3854

Thorgal

So who is planning to join me when raids come out ?

We shall get slaughtered...a lot .

We shall have our Faces smashed in ... a lot .

We shall wipe like no one else has been wiped before .

BUT WE SHALL COME AGAIN AND AGAIN .

AND WE SHALL TRIUMPH !

WHO'S WITH ME ?

Hi nice to meet you guys. Just started playing this game after I bought it two years ago. I read the beginner stuff in the op. I have a necromancer and I looked up some guides online but I'm kind of lost. Is there some build thats better than rest or should I just do what I think is cool . Thanks in advance

My display name is Cobalt.3854
correct answer is bolded. Have fun, don't listen to the zerkee meta people. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom