• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Well I have... Rawk Hawk signed up(thanks Rawk!)... aaand that's it so far.

Come on people, you don't even have to have experience to join the tournament!

spiritfox

What should i keep in mind if i want really cool weapons and armor later on in the game. Is it money driven or is building my crafting the best option.

Cool as in looks or cool as in usage? Lvl 80 Exotic equips can be easily bought via Karma (in the Orr temples) or dungeon tokens, and are adequate for pretty much everything. Skins, on the other hand, can get troublesome. A lot of skins can be bought with money, even if they can be gotten elsewhere. But the good ones either take a whole lot of money, or luck. Crafting is not really useful given the cost needed to level it and the fact that most stuff can be gotten via other means. You can get several unique skins through crafting, but they often require specific recipes you have to buy (often for a lot of money).

Retro

What should i keep in mind if i want really cool weapons and armor later on in the game. Is it money driven or is building my crafting the best option.

Skins come from everywhere; heart vendors (using Karma), crafting, drops, personal story, Orr Temples (late game, uses karma), cultural vendors, there's a few on the gem store... everywhere. The best thing you can do is just check out karma vendors as you level (right now, there aren't a lot of karma sinks and the skins are usually fairly cheap, you're likely to have a million+ before you know it).

Wanderer5

After having trouble getting into the stress test, I went to explored at least 1/3 of new map. Annnnd I don't know.... It just seems too big and dense and there are three of these maps course, which just then seems insane for the lower populated servers especially. There some great vertical scale and it seems even bigger than EB overall. Guess shall see how it is with the full population scale.

Dat new sup Treb through, and the new warhorn sounds are a bit better through still sounds a bit odd.

gw001_zpsjyf89c7q.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Man you haven't had good luck with connecting to the servers. I wonder if it's an ISP issue on your end?

Nah it's just today. Could play fine before. And it's only this game.

Is GW2 doing something weird today?

Jira

After having trouble getting into the stress test, I went to explored at least 1/3 of new map. Annnnd I don't know.... It just seems too big and dense and there are three of these maps course, which just then seems insane for the lower populated servers especially. There some great vertical scale and it seems even bigger than EB overall. Guess shall see how it is with the full population scale.

Dat new sup Treb through, and the new warhorn sounds are a bit better through still sounds a bit odd.

gw001_zpsjyf89c7q.jpg

While it may be a stress test, I'm going to guess that the maps aren't actually full?

Skins come from everywhere; heart vendors (using Karma), crafting, drops, personal story, Orr Temples (late game, uses karma), cultural vendors, there's a few on the gem store... everywhere. The best thing you can do is just check out karma vendors as you level (right now, there aren't a lot of karma sinks and the skins are usually fairly cheap, you're likely to have a million+ before you know it).

Also remember cultural skins (race specific) exist, as well as CIty skins (ie, Ebonhawke and Lions arch) which can be purchased with Karma.

There are also NPC racial gear which you can craft. Bandit, Ogre, Krait, Dredge, Graul, and Hylek. the first four are from Rare level weapon crafting (or artificing, huntsmen, etc). The latter two require Karma recipes for Graul, and Sunbeads for Hylek.

The later two are also some of my favorite skins in the game. Called 'Godskull" and "Beaded", both do a lot of interesting things with their themes. I really wish they had armor sets as well.

Callunah

Neo Member
Yayyy I love this!!! I will be there! (and gonna try and drag Modric along by his hair... lol since he "loves" jumping puzzles about as much as he loves root canals. lol

How in the world did I manage to miss this, when both Moddy and I were IN game, and repping GAF... lol DANG IT..and I totally forgot about it, and forgot to mention it to him too. Wow. =( Major fail. Im gonna have to set a reminder on my calendar for next week... so sorry. =0(

How in the world did I manage to miss this, when both Moddy and I were IN game, and repping GAF... lol DANG IT..and I totally forgot about it, and forgot to mention it to him too. Wow. =( Major fail. Im gonna have to set a reminder on my calendar for next week... so sorry. =0(

You haven't missed it quite yet. It's scheduled for today (the 9th).

The plan right now is for a jumping puzzle or two every Wednesday and Friday night.

Spyware

Hate to say it, but I'd argue that corner stacking/zerker meta is a product of ANet's methods of abolishing the trinity more than anything. Remove tanks and dedicated healers and the obvious solution is to cleave down every mob in the game.
The stacking stuff isn't actually that much of a "lack of trinity" thing. It was something we most often did in WoW too even tho Cresc and I played a really good tank/healer duo. I don't think we ever called it stacking tho, it was "cornerpulling". It was most often done to drag mobs away from other groups/patrols, which we also do in GW2. Also to pull them into rooms that made the encounters easier due to it being bigger/smaller/have less things on the floor/whatever.
It's also a way to gather up mobs for AoE which is logical in GW2 since most classes hit more than one enemy with auto attack or simple skills.

You should have seen some of the odd tactics we came up with to make it go smooth in "daily heroic" pugs in WoW, haha. If you think groups are breaking encounters in GW2 by "stacking" you would probably not believe your eyes in WoW ;P we had a strange tactic for basically every boss, often things bordering on "cheating" by despawning and resetting stuff. Not to make it go as fast as possible, just to make it a smooth run where we could focus more on talking with the group and joke around instead of trying to bash our heads against a wall. It helped that we played the tank and healer because if any DPSer talked shit, tried to speedrun or otherwise disrupt our nice little adventure, we could just say "Either play nicely or go queue for 30 mins again" ;D Since we were such a great team (it really helps being in the same room) our runs often took a very short time anyway, but they "thought it would take time because you talk too much" :p

So stacking and zerking is fine. I play a zerker Ranger in the GAF dungeon event runs and we stack quite a lot... when we don't just run in and hope for the best ;D The only thing I don't like with the GW2 dungeon "meta" (or whatever it's called) is that everything has to go faaaast. If something doesn't die in the blink of an eye the group is "bad". Uäck.

Hellers

Whenever I make a dungeon group for beginners it fills up really quickly. It`s nice. Especially since I have no idea what I`m doing either as we bumble our way through the dungeon

Whenever I make a dungeon group for beginners it fills up really quickly. It`s nice. Especially since I have no idea what I`m doing either as we bumble our way through the dungeon
This was when I enjoyed dungeons the most. Now a days it's just about finishing as quick as possible.

Keep doing what your doing because the alternative is very boring in my opinion.

Rawk Hawk

No problem, worse comes to worse, I'll take first, second and third (although to be fair I think second place me cheated).

I'll give you a hint as to what Amanda and I have been looking at...

:)

Oh boy, have you asked? Are congratulations in order? Or am I misinterpreting the picture, lol..

This was when I enjoyed dungeons the most. Now a days it's just about finishing as quick as possible.

Keep doing what your doing because the alternative is very boring in my opinion.
Omg yes, its all about the speedrun. Dont you dare even think about watching that cutscene.

Corner stacking and stacking in general is disliked simply because it's stupid and a garbage way to play the game. The fact that it's the most effective way to beat virtually every encounter is poor game design. The reason that it's popular is because most people don't actually run the dungeons to have fun - it's just seen as a chore to make money these days.

I agree with everything leng jai said in a post.

GeRBw1z.gif

It's a miracle!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
decided im gonna wait till Rev before using a new hero, in the mean time what can i do to prepare myself for my Rev hero, farm karma ? im guessing all personal and living story rewards are seperate for each hero so no point doing all them on my warrior when i know for sure ill enjoy rev more.

Quenk

decided im gonna wait till Rev before using a new hero, in the mean time what can i do to prepare myself for my Rev hero, farm karma ? im guessing all personal and living story rewards are seperate for each hero so no point doing all them on my warrior when i know for sure ill enjoy rev more.

One thing that could be nice is picking out a look for your revenant and working on acquiring those skins.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
One thing that could be nice is picking out a look for your revenant and working on acquiring those skins.

i was thinking that but then i thought the armors in the expansion could end up looking better and that could of been a waste of time lol

Thorgal

I am always conflicted when it comes to zerker discussion .

On one hand , yes i agree that demanding everyone play Zerk since it is " the best ( and to a certain point i am inclined to agree ) is stupid and yes , other gear should be equally be viable ( even though at this point in time there is no better gear to do the content fast for speed runs or world record settings )

But one the other hand ,people asking that HOT content should destroy the zerk meta or make Berserker gear completely nonviable are swinging the pendulum too far too the other side .

"Play your way " is one of the Ad lines for this game and i don't see why when using the proper skill , situational awareness and proper mitigating damage , a group decked out in Zerk gear cannot or should not be able to play the most difficult raid or any other sort of content .

On the subject of stacking :

"Stacking" by it's very nature is not a negative to me since i consider any enemy boss that a group wails on whether that is with a massive zerg , a 5 man group dungeon or a future 10 man raid group will invariably lead to stacking even if that was not the idea or the intent .
What actually should change is making people more aware when leaving or abandoning the stack is preferred over simply standing there and mashing buttons .
back when i was still a new player i learned this lesson quickly in dungeon paths

EX AC paths Kohler fight .

Yes most groups stack near the pillar and burst him down there , however if no one is using an interrupt skill at the right time i instantly abandon the stack because i already know he is going to down at least 3 guys with the spin attack who think they can take it .

Second example SE 1 , 3 golems

People stack near the wall and kite all 3 golems to you to burst them down , however if you don't shut those golems down fast you will wipe , hence when i see that my health drops beyond a certain point i abandon stack re-position myself if need be and heal if necessary instead of hoping that somebody else does it for me in the stack.

( incidentally, the end boss of that Path , Zazza is one of the bosses where people will invariably stack together whether that is the intend or not . )

Rawk Hawk

I started collecting armor for mine, I decided on the PvP Glorious set since you can choose the stats on it. I'm 5/6 pieces right now, but before Rev gets here I'll have a full exotic set waiting that can be any stats I want. PvP may not be your thing, but collecting up equipment is certainly something you could do.

Other, more normal, goals I have is to finish up crafting completely. We'll see how that goes.

usea

I just discovered the home instance thing the other day, and I've only played belcher's buff a few times, against the npc I found there. So the tournament is pretty scary. I don't even have any of those special abilities.

Quenk

I think I should make it to the jumping puzzle tonight. I think apple was there when I did it the first time and yelled at birds.

Ashodin

I just discovered the home instance thing the other day, and I've only played belcher's buff a few times, against the npc I found there. So the tournament is pretty scary. I don't even have any of those special abilities.
Most everyone else who would be playing have about as much skill as you, and you don't need the special skills to enter. However, tonight I'm going to be helping anyone get those skills.

Starting at 9 pm edt

Also my streaming gear came in the mail, so I'll likely be streaming the jumping puzzle event as well as educating people on Belcher's Bluff on stream.

For anyone coming to the jumping puzzle tonight, if you're not sure if you have the recommended waypoint, type this into chat:

[&BAEEAAA=]

It'll show you where you need to go =)

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Finally my busy weekend is over, I can play again! Wooooo

For anyone coming to the jumping puzzle tonight, if you're not sure if you have the recommended waypoint, type this into chat:

[&BAEEAAA=]

As a f2player, what level do I need to be for this? I fear I have not leveled enough yet but I do love jumping.

Rawk Hawk

Finally my busy weekend is over, I can play again! Wooooo

As a f2player, what level do I need to be for this? I fear I have not leveled enough yet but I do love jumping.

This one is in a starter area, think Ike mentioned level 11 as a recommendation, but really you can get there at level 1 with some body guards. Hopefully I'll be on tonight and can help.

Retro

Karma is gonna be easiest to get in the Edge of the Mists, but it's boring and Karma doesn't have a whole lot of uses now anyways, especially if you're not interested in collecting skins.

Gold is always useful, as are dungeon tokens (for both gear and skins). You could hit up dungeons if your character is high enough level, with the added bonus of that character getting a lot of XP as well.

You could zip around the world gathering materials for future crafting, or level crafting on your existing character (you can basically use them as a crafting mule). Both will give you XP though, I dunno how much you want to avoid leveling your existing characters.

You can do Living Story stuff on your warrior, assuming they're 80, and unlock some Ascended accessories (sinister stats though, so condition-damage oriented) and a bunch of goodies.

You could also PVP to get Tomes of Knowledge (every fourth reward per tier) which will let you basically power-level your Revenant if you want (one level per tome).

But one the other hand ,people asking that HOT content should destroy the zerk meta or make Berserker gear completely nonviable are swinging the pendulum too far too the other side .

"Play your way " is one of the Ad lines for this game and i don't see why when using the proper skill , situational awareness and proper mitigating damage , a group decked out in Zerk gear cannot or should not be able to play the most difficult raid or any other sort of content .

Nobody is saying the gear is bad and should go away, just the meta (i.e. the community's insistence that Zerker gear is the best and only stat distribution anyone should use). Players should totally play however they want, including using Zerker gear, but as you say it requires the proper skill, situational awareness and damage mitigation to pull off. The problem right now is that due to stuff like stacking, exploits, etc., players aren't developing those skills.

The concern is that players will hit the harder content in HoT and rather than look at their poor skill and/or gear choices, will simply start whining about the difficulty being too high. If enough people whine, there's a chance the developers will change the content to be easier.

Also my streaming gear came in the mail, so I'll likely be streaming the jumping puzzle event as well as educating people on Belcher's Bluff on stream.

Be sure you configure your stream so that Mumble chat cannot be heard. Folks should be able to chat with their fellow guild members without worrying their voices are being broadcast to an external audience (especially one as toxic as twitch) or recorded against their will.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I'm gonna do my best to make it to the jumping party. Gosh I hope the people I have over tonight leave on time.

Hellers

I've finally figured out a levelling playstyle I like for my Engineer. Twin pistols. Flamethrower, rifle and rocket turret. Now I'm mixing in the fkeys stuff is going down nicely. Level 42 and rising.

Just started a Caudecus manor story group with her earlier. Advertised non-zerk beginner friendly and had a full party in about 20 seconds.

I think I'll carry on with her this week and get the last 7 levels on my necro at the weekend. She's only at level 60 with the personal story so that should be easy.

Spyware

Would have soooo liked to join in on that JP event but it's way too late for me today :( Health is bad and I have to go to bed earlier than I had planned. Ohwell, I hope you all have fun and I will try to join on friday! :)

Retro

I only have hardwood this plan is terrible :(

How soon before they arrive, do you have time to lay down plastic sheeting?

If that fails, suggest you all watch a movie like Transformers (any of them)... oh wait, you'd still be cleaning up bodily fluids. Nevermind.

I've finally figured out a levelling playstyle I like for my Engineer. Twin pistols. Flamethrower, rifle and rocket turret. Now I'm mixing in the fkeys stuff is going down nicely. Level 42 and rising.

The "Juggernaut" grand master trait in the firearms specialization turns Flamethrower into an absolute beast. Stability and seven stacks of might up at all times. "High Caliber" and "No Scope" in the same specialization also benefits getting right up in their faces with it too.

Retro

Reminder;

★ Jumping Puzzle Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 9 ☆

Event #1 - Shamans Rookery

Required Character Level: 1 (11 Recommended)
Required Zone: Wayfarer Foothills

Recommended Waypoint: Osenfold Waypoint

Zeroth, appletoasty, and I will be hosting biweekly jumping puzzle events. Just like the ongoing dungeon events, these are aimed specifically at new players or players who may have never attempted puzzles before, but everyone is welcome to join!

The events will take place 30 minutes after server reset (8:30 PM EDT) on Wednesday and Friday nights, and will be fairly quick, but they give us another good excuse to see our guild members' pretty faces.

Starts in about an hour and a half at this waypoint;

[&BAEEAAA=]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom