• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Have you seen the Radiant skins? Good luck with those.

No I have not. But I shall look!

EDIT: Oh wait, yes I have! Retro showed me I believe.

Gonna work towards that but it's long term! It seems the first one I can get are the vambraces at 3,000

Hit 70 on the necro tonight. Still not a huge idea on how to play one optimally, or what stats favor them the most.

Tend ot play pve, so i'm going for a low of power + conditional damage. Axe/Dagger and Staff at the moment.

Fun class though, but once I hit 80 i'll probably go back to Engineer, Theif or Ranger for a while. The Medium armor classes are just so much fun.

Hellers

Hit 70 on the necro tonight. Still not a huge idea on how to play one optimally, or what stats favor them the most.

Tend ot play pve, so i'm going for a low of power + conditional damage. Axe/Dagger and Staff at the moment.

Fun class though, but once I hit 80 i'll probably go back to Engineer, Theif or Ranger for a while. The Medium armor classes are just so much fun.

I finished off my Necro to 80 on Friday. Since 40 I've been playing her as a full minion build with sceptre/dagger and staff. I felt pretty indestructible in regular world PvE. I'm busy working my way through all the classes at the moment so I haven't optimised any of them for anything much. I definitely enjoyed levelling the Necro loads. Probably the easiest class I levelled after Guardian.

As an aside. I tried a bit of Drytop with my Elementalist the other day and really wasn't feeling her. She was the second class I got to 80 but she's feeling really squishy and wasn't killing stuff very easily. For regular world pve content how are people with this class speccing and playing?

spiritfox

Dagger mainhand is the highest DPS for Necro right now. I'm killing things fast with D/WH.

For Ele, Staff for lazy fire camping DPS. I do wear Celestial for a bit more tankiness, since they go down so fast without any def.

What's the deal with the new elite specializations and HoT expansion?
Will F2P and core owners who don't upgrade be to HoT able to use/learn the elite specializations and the new skills?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Will those specializations give an edge to the expansion buyers?
If so, that's a total bummer.

Some of them are complete game changers (Mesmer) and make duds into studs. Others, like Elementatlist specialization, are worthless and the class stands on its own without it.

Thorgal

They are not better in the sense of stats.

the specs are a different playstyle of the classes or make a class get something the vanilla one was missing.

Hellers

Some of them are complete game changers (Mesmer) and make duds into studs. Others, like Elementatlist specialization, are worthless and the class stands on its own without it.

I`ve never looked into the elite specs yet but I`ve been enjoying playing my Mesmer the last few days. Hitting shatter and watching mobs go down never gets old.

What`s getting better with the Chronomancer spec?

They are not better in the sense of stats.

the specs are a different playstyle of the classes or make a class get something the vanilla one was missing.

Well, I guess that's fair enough.
I've been pulling my friends to try GW2 since the F2P announcement, but some of then found out about this specializations paywall and got kinda hesitate to jump in or continue playing now.

I`ve never looked into the elite specs yet but I`ve been enjoying playing my Mesmer the last few days. Hitting shatter and watching mobs go down never gets old.

Chronomancer can use well utility skills for more group support and aoe effects. They also get a neat ability where you create a "Save point" and a couple seconds later revert your cooldowns, endurance, and HP to that point.

Also, chronomancer has the only mesmer trait that gives a constant speed boost (similar to other trait-based speed boosts on other classes)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Imagine shattering. And your illusions don't die unless you shatter a second time.

It's an enormous dps boost. And after playing with all the elite specs, I feel it's the only one that was a game changer.

Spyware

The hype with the Ooze Royalty comes from people running the dungeon for year(s) and never knowing that they are there. The first time I fought them, it was really exciting to find out that there was new stuff to do in the dungeon after so many runs being the same.
Yeah I can imagine :) Had I liked the dungeon more in general and been less... sick and tired, I found have found that more fun.
I dunno why it didn't click. I like the Flame Legion as an enemy and I think ANet did well with the Volcano theme. It may just have been my extremely shitty week rubbing off on everything and ruining the fun. :(

Is there anything worth getting in this "event"? I played a bit of it but don't think I'll get back to it. Also, those boxes seem to be pretty useless.

Well, I guess that's fair enough.
I've been pulling my friends to try GW2 since the F2P announcement, but some of then found out about this specializations paywall and got kinda hesitate to jump in or continue playing now.

I've understood it as that Elite Specialization works like new skills worked in GW1 - They are supposed to be comparable but not better. Every skill or mechanic is about applying it in the right circumstance.
To introduce a trickle-down-skill hierarchy is basically the complete opposite of what GW has always been about.
People haven't had months and months to sit down and make counter builds to all these elite specializations yet. The idea is that you are giving up some things, but gaining other things when taking an Elite Spec. Taking an Elite spec removes you from a completely different tree.
Elite specialization does give in advantage simply because you got more choice (Magic:The Gathering Philosophy!) but it's not like what you're proposing in the sense that you are being punished or am irrelevant for not using a elite spec.

For a class like Dragon Hunter and Berserker, the F1 skill changes. They have new mechanics and abilities, but they also lack some of the F1 abillities of regular Warrior and Guardian.
It should be balanced so you want to take a elite spec, not because you feel you have to, but because you want to use the tools provided!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
isnt the reaper kinder slow cos the greatsword skills are like slower than the hammer skills

Is there anything worth getting in this "event"? I played a bit of it but don't think I'll get back to it. Also, those boxes seem to be pretty useless.

The crafting materials from the event once-a-day box are actually pretty good if you're ever gonna go for Mawdry, but beyond that, nah, the events are just for fun I feel. You can grind them to buy some shinies, but eh. That's an idiosyncratic issue.

Rawk Hawk

isnt the reaper kinder slow cos the greatsword skills are like slower than the hammer skills

The Greatsword will be slow for sure, although I don't know how it will compare to Hammer. I'll likely stuck to Dagger main hand for most PvE stuff and swap Greatsword and Staff as my secondary depending on which I need/want.

EDIT: Looking up Guardian and Warrior hammer, Warrior #1 chain looks to take 1.5 seconds, Guardian is 2.25 seconds and Reaper Greatsword will be 2.5 seconds. So it will be slower as of right now. Although the damage on it looks to be higher, Guardian was 1056 (469/sec), Warrior 1173 (782/sec) and Reaper was 1407 (562/sec).. looking at #1 chains only.

The Greatsword will be slow for sure, although I don't know how it will compare to Hammer. I'll likely stuck to Dagger main hand for most PvE stuff and swap Greatsword and Staff as my secondary depending on which I need/want.

EDIT: Looking up Guardian and Warrior hammer, Warrior #1 chain looks to take 1.5 seconds, Guardian is 2.25 seconds and Reaper Greatsword will be 2.5 seconds. So it will be slower as of right now. Although the damage on it looks to be higher, Guardian was 1056 (469/sec), Warrior 1173 (782/sec) and Reaper was 1407 (562/sec).. looking at #1 chains only.
Dat some RAWk math!

Ashodin

My biggest gripe with the Dragonhunter is they're trying to sell the use of the virtues as physical spells. You know, these things that are on cooldown higher than any other skills usually on the guardian. Abilities on the class that are the highest cooldown mechanical skills of any of them!

We're talking 45s, 60s cooldown here folks. On a leap that does some damage if traited, immobilize and a heal. And then a barrier that lasts 6s that blocks attacks only from the front.

With absolutely no way to recharge the abilities faster than normal besides a trait, and only two traits that straight up give you them back for insane conditions (justice on kill, courage when you rez or player rez????) that aren't consistent in combat at all and/or are predicated on the fact that you have to go down to get it.

Virtues are in a serious need of an overhaul, and spirit weapons are the same story. Neglected, unusable unreliable mechanic.

Wanderer5

11062351_10153264706904209_2649514932466020019_n.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I hope those drones have to do with the hammer and are not utility skills.

Retro pointed out that in trailer it looked like drones attached to the hammer before hammer slammed to the ground.

As an engie main, I will be keeping close tabs on this. Needed a not bomb melee weapon for a while, and if those Drones are a good replacement for turrets I'll be really happy.

Wait is there a video?

Quenk

As an engie main, I will be keeping close tabs on this. Needed a not bomb melee weapon for a while, and if those Drones are a good replacement for turrets I'll be really happy.

Wait is there a video?

Not yet. Monday's are typically just the image teasers and then we get an article and a POI later this week.

Jira

Druid being the first shown and last revealed makes me think they went back to the drawing board at least twice. I've been most interested in seeing it just for that reason alone.

I think it's likely that the drones will be A.I., but looking at the initial trailer, they don't seem to follow in the way that companion A.I. does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom