• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Phantaram + Balance Preview on right now.

Patch notes on Tuesday
Traps last 5 minutes unpopped across all professions.
Rune of Vamipirism and Reveal fixes
Cripple stacks less. Down from 9 to 5.

Retro

Icebow damage reduced 50%, can only hit 3 targets. Yikes.

LsO0BoR.gif

These changes are coming Tuesday too.

leng jai

Shield 4 now gives 4 seconds of Protection and Aegis. Shield 5's bubble ow only lasts 1.25s, but you are no longer rooted.

Also, Warrior's shield got CD reductions and Shield 4 is now a 2s stun? Or daze. Whatever.

Disappointing changes, I thought they would have made it more like Dark Souls.

Well the aegis on shield is good for me since more application = more procs of shattered aegis. Don't know about skill 5 though, I still like its knockback.

Druid is something I'm interested in, as dedicated healers have been lacking, but I have to wonder if the PVE content we're getting will call for it. I love stuff thematically, but that theme should not detract from gameplay.

And RIP Icebow, you will be looked back on fondly.

From the trailer, I like the direction they're taking Mordremoth. He could be anywhere and everywhere, he can get in your face at any moment, that kind of tension was missing with Zhaitan, who just sent waves of undead.

IceBow Nerf: Instead of nerfing Ice Bow, couldn't they have just brought it down like, 20% and buffed some of the other-pick-me-up weapons. Fiery Sword was also nerfed, but I rarely see people dropping the Axe or the Hammer. I always get excited when I get the hammer. I'm not a hammer guy, but there is not a more visually impressive skin in the game than Mjolnir. It's absolutely incredible.

Druid: What I want to say is that when your watching PoI of these class reveals, they sometimes don't look as impressive as when you're playing them. It was true for the Berserker. It looked sort of meh in the video, but when you got your hands on it, and felt the synergy it was more like a impressive experience.

Druid is surprising. I was 100% certain that it would have animal shapeshifting like the Norn abilities and like the WoW Druid, but having thought more about it, druid shapeshifters is not really something that reminds me a lot of Guild Wars! I do think Celestial/Moon/Ventari Tablet Fanboy when I'm thinking about Druids more than turning into a cat or bear and tanking as said cat or bear.

But as far as the Celestial form. Visually... I mean, its still not anywhere near as cool as reaper form. I guess I was hoping for a more effectful-avatar form. More like turning into a spirit avatar of Melandru. It says on the Wiki;

It is said that the druids of the Maguuma Jungle once worshiped Melandru.

Or maybe the form of a dryad or some tree/hybrid/centaur thing? Right now it looks like you glow blue.

As for the mechanics. Wow. This is the craziest shit ever. Just being able to press F5 and get all those skills. :O
I could run my Greatsword/Longbow build and just spec into healing, and be a ranger with the most insane healing in the game.

Obviously that is fantastic and something I am looking very forward too, but if the healing of other classes is going to be up to snuff they have to be buffed. Ventaris tablet for Heralds is really hard to use and control and I worry it wont be practical or worth it at all.

The other thing is that Dragon Hunter and Tempest now looks extremely lackluster compared to the rest.

Berserkers get a new mode above full adrenaline, Daredevils get another dodge, Engineers get a ton of new stuff, Druids get a free willy insane powerful melee form independent of their 2 weapon sets, chronomancers can revert time, reapers get a new form.

I don't feel there is enough here for Tempest and Dragon Hunter.

usea

But as far as the Celestial form. Visually... I mean, its still not anywhere near as cool as reaper form. I guess I was hoping for a more effectful-avatar form. More like turning into a spirit avatar of Melandru.

Or maybe the form of a dryad or some tree/hybrid/centaur thing? Right now it looks like you glow blue.
To each their own. I think it looks awesome :D [Image from blog]. In the stream, it had stars and cosmic clouds circling them, and the star texture effect looked like twilight, sunrise, zodiac armor etc where the visual effect isn't based on the location of the skin, but only the viewer's vantage. Like you can see "into" it. Actually I bet the zodiac armor would look insane on a druid. Wish I had it T_T

Well, that's what it looked like to me upon rewatch. It was hard to see though, so maybe it wasn't the case.

As for the mechanics. Wow. This is the craziest shit ever. Just being able to press F5 and get all those skills. :O
I could run my Greatsword/Longbow build and just spec into healing, and be a ranger with the most insane healing in the game.
Well, you won't build up astral force very quickly by just doing damage. If you look at the tooltip (same text here), it charges slowly from damage and more quickly from healing (10x as fast). So skills that have both (staff) will charge it more quickly when played effectively than other weapons. Maybe multi-hit / aoe moves will be great too? I dunno. Staff 1 is multi-hit, 1200 range, and heals also. Hard to beat that kind of astral force charging.

But yeah, I think a lot of the new specs will be good even without using their new weapons.

To each their own. I think it looks awesome :D [Image from blog]. In the stream, it had stars and cosmic clouds circling them, and the star texture effect looked like twilight, sunrise, zodiac armor etc where the visual effect isn't based on the location of the skin, but only the viewer's vantage. Like you can see "into" it. Actually I bet the zodiac armor would look insane on a druid. Wish I had it T_T

Well, that's what it looked like to me upon rewatch. It was hard to see though, so maybe it wasn't the case.

Well, I had the same reaction to Berserker, but I was really surprised when I played Berserker. It looks way cooler in "person" than it does in the Stream.

In the stream you feel like berserker mode is like this:

Charmander.gif

when your playing Berserker it feels like this:

tumblr_inline_nq0ehqPz9k1t25vx3_500.gif

I cant wait to try it out. It's time to figure out what I should play in HoT release.

Proven

Most useless in Core Tyria PvE. I'm trying to figure out if I can use it in my current Ranger build, but the build isn't exactly finished yet.

Also, the fact that they're buffing Potent Poison on Thief is aggravating. With Daredevil that means I have to choose between four lines to try and make the build come together. The damage from that and Dagger Mastery is too good to pass up, so now I'll have to either remove Acrobatics or Trickery. But Acrobatics gives me Assassin's Reward while Trickery gives me extra initiative. Damn you ANet!

Tempest currently has the least interesting elite specialization, sadly. It's pretty much a proper aura share trait line, which makes it feel on par with the rest rather than "elite."

Dragonhunter is just after Celestial and maybe Daredevil in feeling like a new class. Having Longbow as a competent ranged option is a big deal to me, and the virtue changes carry that further. They're no longer instant, have animations, and bring a precense to the battlefield. With traps as well, that ends up being their whole awesome feeling to me.

Ranking in regards to being a new class after writing the above but having a few more thoughts:
Tier 1
Celestial/Druid
Dragonhunter
Daredevil

Tier 2
Reaper
Chronomamcer

Tier 3
Scrapper
Berserker
Tempest
Herald

I might be overvaluing Function Gyros, however. In which case just swap it with Berserker.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Chronomancer is tier 1 just because it fixes a broken class. Being able to shatter once and still keep Phantasms boosts the classes DPS tremendously, and Chronomancer includes an inherent sprint. It's less of a "look as this new gimmick!" and more of a "here are fixes to the complaints you guys have had since day one."

Also, double timewarp. (́◉◞౪◟◉)

Retro

Man... 26 days to go and it's getting busy;
  • Today's livestream will be starting at 1pm Eastern / 10am Pacific (5pm UTC) and run for another 8 freakin' hours until 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (1am UTC). Here's the schedule (subject to change)
    • Designing Raids in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns
    • Returning to Guild Wars 2
    • Making of the Launch Trailer
    • Legendary Journey
    • “A Taste of Tyria” with Jennifer Hale
    • Story Missions
    • Intro to PvP
    • Heart of Thorns Maps
    • Community Showcase Live
    • Voice Acting in Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns: Behind the Scenes
    • And more!
  • Guess what time Saturday Guild Mission Fever starts? 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific (1am UTC).
  • Make-up missions are tomorrow at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific (7pm UTC).
  • A balance update is due Tuesday, and since a lot of gem store stuff is leaving I would expect some new shinies to spend your shinies on.
  • BWE3 starts Friday October 2nd at 3pm Eastern / Noon Pacific (7pm UTC). I also completely missed this in all of the news yesterday;
Due to large back-end changes to core systems that have corrupted some of the beta data, your characters from previous beta weekends will not be available for BWE3—everyone will be starting with fresh beta characters. (source)

If you're tuning into the Live Stream, also be sure to visit the IRC chat Apple set up yesterday:
Come hang out in IRC with us to chat about it :3 irc.rizon.net #gafguild
Web client link: https://client00.chat.mibbit.com/?channel=#gafguild&server=irc.rizon.net

Whew... okay... that's guild news...
Quaggan's Deep Thoughts is the worst best

Except for the game show (which ran too long and could have benefited from a third person on stage) all of their "side" stuff was actually really entertaining. I always expect that sort of stuff to be really cringey, but the Quaggan stuff was weird (in a good way), the cooking segment was surprisingly funny, the concert was amazing (apparently they're working on getting the performance up on Soundcloud)... really good. One of the developers also tweeted this yesterday, so I'm thinking they're going to try to make this an ongoing thing.

icebow nerf? three targets max???

hell no, we won't bow. at that point just take the skill out of the game, yeesh.

We were talking about this in Guild Chat last night, actually. It's absolutely horrible if people have viewed Elementalist as nothing more than an Ice bow dispenser, and they should be valued for more than just bringing Ice Bow #4. If suddenly Ele is no longer considered part of the meta due to one skill, then there's something horribly wrong with the class' design or (more likely) community perception.

Proven

Chronomancer is tier 1 just because it fixes a broken class. Being able to shatter once and still keep Phantasms boosts the classes DPS tremendously, and Chronomancer includes an inherent sprint. It's less of a "look as this new gimmick!" and more of a "here are fixes to the complaints you guys have had since day one."

Also, double timewarp. (́◉◞౪◟◉)

Maybe I'm weird. Phantasms have always been a summon, get a burst, then shatter mechanic. The only phantasm that isn't great for this is Torch, and maybe Staff. Your Shatter cooldowns are at a similar rate to your phantasm cooldowns, and have you played the Distortorted Signet build?

Phantasm uptime and passive speed boosts have always felt like specific issues. Movement speed is nice, I admit, but Mesmer isn't the only one getting a move speed trait in their elite specialization. Phantasms with relatively low uptime always seemed designed into the profession, with the only time they really stay up for long being against PvE bosses, and only if they don't have a lot of AoE.

But, I also don't play Mesmer enough.

Morokh

Due to large back-end changes to core systems that have corrupted some of the beta data, your characters from previous beta weekends will not be available for BWE3—everyone will be starting with fresh beta characters.

Nice, I was out of transmute charges and Hair and Makeover kits :D

Must not forget to throw the ascended gear I have in the bank the day before :eek:

Or they just delete the chars and leave the 'copy' of your account so that you keep masteries ? that would suck :x

spiritfox

Ugh, wasted a makeover kit because I wasn't happy the first time. Wish there was a way to reverse the makeover to get back the kit within an hour or something.

Zeroth

What are these trivia contests that he speaks of?

He means doing stuff like asking questions and whoever answers get a prize. We haven't done that in a while, but Colin is certainly aware of what we do as a guild since he pops by sometimes and is reading this OT (including this very message, hi colin!)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
What are these trivia contests that he speaks of?

When Adriaaa says "Hi" the appropriate response is "Hi". The reward is a "Ty."

Maybe I'm weird. Phantasms have always been a summon, get a burst, then shatter mechanic. The only phantasm that isn't great for this is Torch, and maybe Staff. Your Shatter cooldowns are at a similar rate to your phantasm cooldowns, and have you played the Distortorted Signet build?

Phantasm uptime and passive speed boosts have always felt like specific issues. Movement speed is nice, I admit, but Mesmer isn't the only one getting a move speed trait in their elite specialization. Phantasms with relatively low uptime always seemed designed into the profession, with the only time they really stay up for long being against PvE bosses, and only if they don't have a lot of AoE.

But, I also don't play Mesmer enough.

In regards to PvE, the ideal situation for a Mesmer's optimum DPS, currently, is for the fight to be extremely long and the Phantasms aren't killed or shattered. Definitely counters the summon and shatter philosophy and it's a situation that will almost never happen due to phantasms getting hit by an AoE or sweeping attack.

It's always been a delicate situation where you can't increase the phantasm's damage or shatter damage, to counter the natural loss of dps, because then the balance can go out of wack. The scenario Chronomancer presents doesn't have the player's DPS bogged down by cooldowns and instead allows for the player's input (a free shatter) to maximize DPS.

...basically from the Beta, my Chronomancer was dishing out as much damage as my pre-frostbow-nerfed Ele. Where as normally Mesmer is on the bottom of the totem pole in PvE DPS and is just used for Time Warp. It was refreshing.

You know, I always thought he was in multiple guilds to get a feel for the community. Well don't we feel special!

Hedge

Even though my old GW2 guild is dead, which means I can't run raids, they sound really interesting. I hope there is a progression of difficulty, so the first boss is easier than the second boss.
Though, I still can't figure out if legendary armor is exclusive to raids, or it just has a higher drop chance in raids. I hope they talk about this in the "legendary journey" segment in.. an hour? Half an hour?

Also, not a fan of that odd game show segment thingie, but the host is so cute.

Jira

Can i get an update on what i missed on Twitch ?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3mhe1y/twitchcon_day_2_panel_1_designing_raid_in_hot/

Even though my old GW2 guild is dead, which means I can't run raids, they sound really interesting. I hope there is a progression of difficulty, so the first boss is easier than the second boss.
Though, I still can't figure out if legendary armor is exclusive to raids, or it just has a higher drop chance in raids. I hope they talk about this in the "legendary journey" segment in.. an hour? Half an hour?

Also, not a fan of that odd game show segment thingie, but the host is so cute.

Legendary armor is only in raids. We don't know exactly how it's acquired but it's raid only.

Fishious

They went over some raid info. Apparently it's in the north east corner of Verdant Brink and it has a scary red portal. They will be using a leaderless squad system similar to the new commander UI only no one owns the group. You can use a tag if you want for the extra features, but they didn't want to lock raids behind a 300g fee.

Raids will use a checkpoint system. No waypoints or revive orbs. Beating bosses gives a statue of the boss to place in your guild hall. Rewards are once per week. Includes ascended gear, legendary armor stuff, skins themed around the raid, etc.

Edit: Also I was glad to hear that they are keeping the buff cap at 5. I remember Nike made a post a reddit a while back saying it should be upped to 10 which would make each class more desirable for their unique buffs, but he ignored the fact that it would basically enforce the "1 of each" rule likely because for his purposes party variety doesn't matter. He and his comrades will play whatever is best. So it made me happy to hear that it wasn't happening, specifically for the reasons I had figured at the time. It would put us in the "Waiting for guardian... oh wait, his kid got sick so no raid tonight" mode of waiting to play.

Retro

Can i get an update on what i missed on Twitch ?

Edit: Beaten.

We missed part of the stream due to audio issues and they were pressed for time towards the end so a lot of stuff was rushed. Not sure why they rushed through it to get to the game show, but... /shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom