• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeris

Was thinking a bit last night about it and started wondering if we'll see an EQish scenario. I didn't do much raiding in WoW, but what little I did (pre-WotLK) it seemed like the raids were all designed to be one long event with few natural stopping points. In EQ it was fairly common for guilds to only do part of the raid zone to gear up and only after that did they go on to complete the raid. For example, Plane of Hate had two levels. Most guilds would only do the first level until they were ready to take on the second. Depending on the size and skill of the guild as well as drop rate that could take a month or more of weekly raids. Most raids up through the Planes of Power expansions worked the same way. Usually there was an entrance area that could be done relatively easily and then the "real" raid further in.

We'll know more later today obviously, but what I mean by all this is I wonder if we'll see groups farming just up the first boss with no real intention on going further. This could even be a "thing" with pugs advertising for gear up runs vs. full runs. I'm probably overthinking it, but it strikes me that this is a good compromise for getting ascended gear. It keeps it difficult but takes away the crafting-centered aspect that drives many of us off.

Jira

Was thinking a bit last night about it and started wondering if we'll see an EQish scenario. I didn't do much raiding in WoW, but what little I did (pre-WotLK) it seemed like the raids were all designed to be one long event with few natural stopping points. In EQ it was fairly common for guilds to only do part of the raid zone to gear up and only after that did they go on to complete the raid. For example, Plane of Hate had two levels. Most guilds would only do the first level until they were ready to take on the second. Depending on the size and skill of the guild as well as drop rate that could take a month or more of weekly raids. Most raids up through the Planes of Power expansions worked the same way. Usually there was an entrance area that could be done relatively easily and then the "real" raid further in.

We'll know more later today obviously, but what I mean by all this is if we'll see groups farming just up the first boss with no real intention on going further. This could even be a "thing" with pugs advertising for gear up runs vs. full runs. I'm probably overthinking it, but it strikes me that this is a good compromise for getting ascended gear. It keeps it difficult but takes away the crafting-centered aspect that drives many of us off.

It will be interesting to see how the once you've cleared the encounters (not bosses) work. They're using DEs as their "trash" so I wonder if once you've cleared it and then killed the boss, does the "trash" respawn if you come back in the next day to do boss 2?

docbon

The raid team is introducing themselves over on the forums:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Raid-team-introductions

So Crystal helped design the Shaman fractal which IMO is one of if not the best fractal mechanically. Then Jason Reynolds worked at Carbine designing the raids for Wildstar. If there's anything WIldstar did well, it was encounter design. Holy crap I'm pretty excited.

http://jasongreynolds.com/

Pretty much every dungeon on his portfolio website is on my list of favorites across any MMO.

xeris

It will be interesting to see how the once you've cleared the encounters (not bosses) work. They're using DEs as their "trash" so I wonder if once you've cleared it and then killed the boss, does the "trash" respawn if you come back in the next day to do boss 2?

I would think it would have to since the group makeup could be completely different. Much easier to flip a "no more loot for player x this week" switch than to turn off the encounters for the entire group based on one or two of the ten having done it. They could do it, but it doesn't seem to me like it'd be worth it. What they could do, but it'd be a bigger pain but make more sense, is to have a window where you can port to your last "save" point. This would let static groups save their progress for later in the week. Or if you don't have a static you'd just have to find other people who are at the same point. Again this could be done through pugs. LFG 2 people for stage three only of the Kerfluffl Raid.

Jira

I would think it would have to since the group makeup could be completely different. Much easier to flip a "no more loot for player x this week" switch than to turn off the encounters for the entire group based on one or two of the ten having done it. They could do it, but it doesn't seem to me like it'd be worth it. What they could do, but it'd be a bigger pain but make more sense, is to have a window where you can port to your last "save" point. This would let static groups save their progress for later in the week. Or if you don't have a static you'd just have to find other people who are at the same point. Again this could be done through pugs. LFG 2 people for stage three only of the Kerfluffl Raid.

Well the way it works is the first person to zone into a raid is the person who "sets" it so if I've killed Boss 1 and I zone in first, it puts us at Boss 2. I don't know if that means all content prior and up to Boss 1 is now dead or if it moves us past that content to then do Boss 2 stuff.

xeris

Well the way it works is the first person to zone into a raid is the person who "sets" it so if I've killed Boss 1 and I zone in first, it puts us at Boss 2. I don't know if that means all content prior and up to Boss 1 is now dead or if it moves us past that content to then do Boss 2 stuff.

It should just depend who zones in first then. I would imagine it'd be based around the dungeon owner. If Boss 2 character logs in first everything's probably dead or blocked off

Proven

So, on Reddit yesterday there was an alarming point about arenas made. This post might be in part to calm those people down, but I feel bad for them so I'll rewrite their issue here:

To unlock even the most basic arena, with all of the time gated materials, it will take two months. A number of people were expecting to jump into GvG immediately and are extremely disappointed.

Planning a new uograde to make it as big as Obsidium Sanctum is nice though.

Edit: Two months changed to two weeks: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/The-Arena-Wait-Time-and-GvG/first#post5559684
https://40.media.tumblr.com/a04019e596e9b99d3d173fd705523e61/tumblr_nvl5h3iJcK1rt6g1oo1_540.png[IMG]

As long as raiding in GW2 isn't like raiding in WoW, we're good.[/QUOTE]
Lmao.

[quote="xeris, post: 180544844"]Was thinking a bit last night about it and started wondering if we'll see an EQish scenario. I didn't do much raiding in WoW, but what little I did (pre-WotLK) it seemed like the raids were all designed to be one long event with few natural stopping points. In EQ it was fairly common for guilds to only do part of the raid zone to gear up and only after that did they go on to complete the raid. For example, Plane of Hate had two levels. Most guilds would only do the first level until they were ready to take on the second. Depending on the size and skill of the guild as well as drop rate that could take a month or more of weekly raids. Most raids up through the Planes of Power expansions worked the same way. Usually there was an entrance area that could be done relatively easily and then the "real" raid further in.

We'll know more later today obviously, but what I mean by all this is I wonder if we'll see groups farming just up the first boss with no real intention on going further. This could even be a "thing" with pugs advertising for gear up runs vs. full runs. I'm probably overthinking it, but it strikes me that this is a good compromise for getting ascended gear. It keeps it difficult but takes away the crafting-centered aspect that drives many of us off.[/QUOTE]

I hope it's like this. This is what I'm expecting in order for there to be decent Ascended drops as well, with later bosses having drops for Legendary armor.

I may also be influenced by being a fan of Log Horizon and learning it's very much based on Everquest.

[quote="Jira, post: 180555056"][url]https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/dungeons/Welcome-to-GW2-Raiding-in-Beta-Weekend-3[/url][/QUOTE]
I like the description at the beginning. Reminds me that this meant to be the equivalent of the post-story dungeons in other RPGs.

Won't be on until after 8pm tonight. If there are any updates to the 9pm raid tonight, Ashodin, please get a GAF PM sent my way. It should get forwarded to my email.

1450 PvP Potions:

S9S9C7d.jpg

That's without managing which PvP tracks and just letting it automatically choose.

Morokh

Engi Firearms seems very good with a hammer with all the range threshold options (assuming they work) who would have thought xD

Thorgal

Ashodin

Dragonhunter is AMAZING now. Like holy shit really really good. There's so much you can do with it now like hop around into melee, drop traps, melee, fly back and switch to ranged, the cripple trait (+10% cripple, justice passive cripples) is SO GOOD.

And there's never not a second target for the cripple on two targets hit to work!

The projectile is super fast now, and the Spear of Justice is LIGHTNING fast. I'm thoroughly impressed.

REMINDER: RAID TONIGHT AT 9 PM EDT (3 and a half hours from this post)

• We will be going into the Forsaken Thicket, tackling the first new boss.
  • I have heard something about the raid boss, if you want it spoiled click below
  • It cannot be dealt physical damage, only through conditions
  • So if you click on that and know now, you can plan accordingly. I will be modifying my build to counter it.
  • Other than that, I know next to nothing else about the boss itself.
  • It's FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE, so whoever shows up and gets into my squad (assuming it is fixed when the time comes) we will be in like Flynn.

Thanks!

Daredevils dodges are really bizarre now. Are they WIP?

The new one is crazy. Your floating through the air like a fairy. It looks so out of place!

Wallach

Damnit man, I need to get time in this weekend for the BWE. Are all the specializations playable? I wanna try the Warrior's.

Retro

Daredevils dodges are really bizarre now. Are they WIP?

Yes.

Animation update: All dodge animations are in the process of being iterated on. With that being said, in the next Beta weekend each custom dodge ability has had its animation replaced with what is called a ‘stub’, or a placeholder.
These stubs aren’t necessarily what the final animation will look like and may not even resemble the final product remotely (Huge disclaimer: Everything’s subject to change). However, we needed to replace the previously existing animations due to issues that couldn’t be resolved otherwise (i.e. Lag).

First Impression of Scrapper:
- Hammer is fantastic so far except Rocket Charge (#3 skill); the multiple short leaps feels slow and clunky and the odd positioning has lead to me getting dangerously closer to ledges than I would like. I'm wishing it were a single leap like all of the other ones in the game.
- Healing Gyro seems really slow to follow, I almost prefer the healing area be tied to the player rather than the gyro.

Assuming I keep my Flamethrower build (which is almost guaranteed) I'm gonna have a hard time giving up parts of either the Alchemy and Tools lines for what Scrapper offers, to the point of making a list to weigh the pros and cons. In the end I may not use it, but I like that it exists and I can see some of the Gyros being good for when you need a little more utility. Otherwise I think scrapper might be good for an alt that isn't using FT.

Wanderer5

Well Scapper seems pretty sweet, least PvE wise. Hammer rocks, but haven't felt with some of the gyros yet. The Blast and Sneak Gyros are neat (like that you can even stealth other gyros), but not sure about the defensive ones yet and the Shredder one is eeeeeeeh.

I continue testing it later this weekend, but for now after I do study, I be testing out Herald for my WvW rally tonight, so excited for that too.

Made a possible look for my hammer engi too. I made my beta engi look least almost exactly like my actual engi.:p

2015-10-02_00020_zpszu4o5thn.jpg

Also was cool to face a Wyvern

I agree with retro on the hammer 3 and all other gyro tool belt skill put the water field at your feet except for healing gyro. I would like hammer 3 to just be 3 ground attack in same place.

Wanderer5

Not to mention that there seems to be some wonky path finding with them too. Maybe not as much with sneak one, but I was noticing the healing one going around me and all rather than to me at times lol.

Edit: Well then.

Retro

I agree with retro on the hammer 3 and all other gyro tool belt skill put the water field at your feet except for healing gyro. I would like hammer 3 to just be 3 ground attack in same place.

Nah, Hammer 3 needs to be a leap to get into melee range, I'd be happy if it behaved like every other leap.

Most of the Feedback for Scrapper so far seems to be focused on Gyros being slow (especially with swiftness) and having crappy AI. Just dinking around with them, I kind of agree; their usefulness falls off any time you have to move (which is all the time, of course).

I don't think I'll bother with gyros, I'll stick with hammer/flamethrower since that has positive impressions.

I'm in a position where I need to give up either Alchemy or Tools to get Scrapper, and after an hour or so with it just roaming around I'm not sure it's better than either option. I'm actually making a list of pros and cons and so far the extra might stacks from Mass Momentum just aren't worth it, and there's little else in there that I want. I'd even rather keep Rifle for a little range instead of hammer and Flamethrower committing me to melee range.

Been playing around with scrapper and am largely enjoying it thus far. As others have said, gyros feel pretty useless especially compared to the tools I already run on my engie, and hammer skill three is kind of weird. Mass momentum is pretty nice when combined with juggernaut and pairing them gives 11-12 permanent stacks of might.

usea

Scrapper is disappointing so far. Hammer is fun, probably good in pvp, but I think even rifle is better in pve so far. Hammer #3 sends you off cliffs even when targeting an enemy, is uncontrollable, and doesn't even always hit all 3 times when you're point blank. The other skills are cool. The damage is low, even when traited. I think rifle does more damage, but I haven't tested it.

Gyros are garbage. Some of the gyro toolbelt skills are good (a reflect, protection and mobile water field). And the shredder one is fun sometimes for the sheer number of whirl finishers I guess. But it's not like I'm gonna use them over other other utility skill choices. They wander all over, die very easily, and don't even do their jobs very well. If you have aggro on something they'll run off to try and melee it or whatever. Also the cooldowns are long and don't even start until they die.

The traits don't seem very good, either. I mean, they're okay. I guess. Nothing special.

Maybe some things in the raid and further into the expansion will make the scrapper additions to the class more effective. But right now my impression is very negative.

This was by far the thing I was looking forward to most in the expansion :( Now I just wanna switch mains.

Retro

I can categorically say that Raids were not deactivated because we were concerned some players made it past the trash mobs. We want the metrics from players actually playing the event – kind of hard to do that if we turn them off.

We actually disabled the Enhanced Squad UI because it was causing issues with chat channels throughout the game – however as entry to the raid is tied so closely to the squad UI, closing the raid was an unfortunate, but necessary side effect.

We are working to get the issues with the squad UI fixed as soon as possible – and when we do the Raids will reopen again. You will then all have the opportunity to help us gather the metric we need to provide the level of challenge you expect.

Until then we thank you for your patience. (source)

spiritfox

I like the Scrapper. The Gyros are weak and a bit useless, but the Hammer is fun and the traits are good. All they need to do is to make the gyros better and make function gyro rez dead dead people (and harvest nodes).

I don't like the Scapper, one reason, the traits, it behaves like a secondary class instead of an extension.. and this can be said about almost all Elite spec, they don't sync well with the current traits...

They seriously need to go back to the drawing boards with these Elite spec traits and the vanilla traits to find common ground, otherwise it's better off saying no thanks to a lot of these Elite spec and just running you current build..

Finally tried the hammer Engineer.

Fast, powerful, and the gyros are *awesome*. I might end up using them most of the time, along with hammer.

The expansion can't come soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom