• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well fuck me, i remembered that character creator crashes my dedicated gpu and gives me blue screens with DPC_Watchdog_Violation. thankfully i remembered now to let gw2 run on integrated graphics while in character creator, cause this is driving me up the wall.

usea

Well fuck me, i remembered that character creator crashes my dedicated gpu and gives me blue screens with DPC_Watchdog_Violation. thankfully i remembered now to let gw2 run on integrated graphics while in character creator, cause this is driving me up the wall.
Whoa, that's pretty crazy. I had video card problems in gw2 around launch, but it was my video card dying. This sounds pretty frustrating.

Ashodin

Yeahhhh I don't think this is happening tonight, I'm really sorry guys, ANet is having too much trouble with it. I hope it'll be up for Kos' run tomorrow.

I'll be looking to do a run at 9 PM EDT when missions would happen as well!

Whoa, that's pretty crazy. I had video card problems in gw2 around launch, but it was my video card dying. This sounds pretty frustrating.

I checked the forums a while back, it seems very few people had this problem. This happens in no other game but gw2, and only at specific moments like character creation and the personal story conversations.

In any case, I'm playing right now, and Scrapper seems pretty fun.

Jira

Patch to fix squad in ~1 hour

5roa7Q4.jpg

My apologies to the group that I was running AC with earlier. Some stuff was going on, and ultimately I had to leave and take care of some things. Sorry!

Morokh

So, on Reddit yesterday there was an alarming point about arenas made. This post might be in part to calm those people down, but I feel bad for them so I'll rewrite their issue here:

To unlock even the most basic arena, with all of the time gated materials, it will take two months. A number of people were expecting to jump into GvG immediately and are extremely disappointed.

That's like the most ridiculous complaint I've seen in a while, they'll have a whole new game to play, and even if they only play WwW a whole new borderland and new shiny WwW mechanics to play around with.

After 3 years waiting two more months is really not the end of the world considering they'll have things to play to unlock it anyway.

The damage is low, even when traited. I think rifle does more damage, but I haven't tested it.

The traits don't seem very good, either. I mean, they're okay. I guess. Nothing special.

I don't know about the damage VS rifle, but I've been running this and things die pretty fast, and it feels less clunky to play that Rifle ever has to me.
pRyCvSC.jpg

Full zerk, sigil of Air/fire (just for fun :p), I have decent sustain and good damage.

The heal gyro could be really good with his F skill if the hammer #3 was more reliable, cause it's really weird how it functions, when you don't have a target it leaps straight forward, but when you have one it kind of bounces randomly.
This skill should work more like the Revenant sword skill that makes him bounce around the same target.

Haven't tried Flamethrower yet.

Wanderer5

Oh man Herald. That spec is quite something lol, and I love it! Such a interesting setup the Glint legend has with all the boon outputs, and the effects and sounds that comes with it are so cool. Just need to continue getting the hang of micro-managing between the two legends selected and all, but Rev is looking to be a new main alongside my Engi, definitely a WvW one. Shield is neat too, through not sure if I would use it for WvW really.

Been playing for a few hours and having a good time. Can't wait to try out raids tomorrow.

However, as I've been hearing, the mobs in the open world have been severely nerfed. From my perspective, they are indeed far too easy. I really don't want a repeat of the mistakes Anet made with the original world, because the new map is awesome in terms of exploration.

On the other hand, the wyvern fight was really fun. We'll see how this pans out; this game has a lot of potential. Anet just needs to fulfill it.

Jira

Yeah I'm not really sure why they nerfed the open world mobs.

Squad UI was fixed again for about a minute with a patch then died again.

Spyware

Loving pretty much all the elite specs now. Berserker seems to be my fav so far, maybe because it fits my very first warrior so well. She's a condi warrior with MH sword and Longbow (using the Fused skin too!) so she's just perfect for the torch and zerk spec.
Really liked the little I tried of druid too. Love the celestial form effect soooo much.
Asura tempest overload animations are amazing. Actually made me switch tempest to my asura instead of my norn ele.

If anyone on the list can't make it, let me know here in OT or PM (here or in game).
So sorry but Cresc and I can't make it after all :( My health is horrible today so I'm either gonna be asleep or too "off" to try raids D:

Jira

Sorry all, dust settled. Unfortunately not in the way we hoped. We’re calling it a night. Look towards Guild Wars 2 social media for updates. Thanks for sticking with us!

So they finally called it at 1:30am. Hopefully it's all working by the time I get home tomorrow. Good luck with your raid Kos.

I've been toying with Druid to see how far I can take the healing. Anyone have any impressions?

I've been running Clerics with Staff.

First thing I notice is that they bumped up the speed on pets. Pets attack way faster and their animations are way faster. Almost uncomfortablee so, but for gameplay purposes it felt nice to see pets finally being so responsive. I dont know what they changed but pet handling is better. At least on mobs in silverwaste.

Here is what irks me about the druid spec the most. First Major trait you have to choose between 20% reduced recharge on staff skills and significant more outgoing healing, and its a shitty choice to make. You need the fast recharge for the weapons you use the most.

Celestial form is great, and it builds up quickly, and it decreases at a fair pace. It's interesting. The healing is very powerful, and if you don't time your heals right and you run out of celestial energy, you need to use your 1 staff to build it up, and those 5-10 seconds are 5-10 seconds were the people your healing can die pretty quickly.

What this tells me:

1) Druid has GW1-Monk like Healing. It's really powerful, and from what I tried of Rev, Ventari can't keep up. I need to do more testing later.

2) You get punished a lot more for being a bad healer than in other MMOs because you run out of your healing form after 5-10 seconds. Healers need to learn the encounters, and they need the timing.

I think this is a good design that shows that healing in GW2 is not going to be the same-old, same-old sit-back-and-spam-my-heal rotation.

In terms of the staff users; Druid, Daredevil and Rev, I want to say;

1) Revernants staff skills are the best, most smoothest and has the best animations. By themselves these seem to give the most for your money. Ventari / Herald is interesting Legend combo. I liked it. I couldn't figure out if I should go herald or shiro for Staff / Sword-Shield.

2) Druid has smooth staff skills I think it's really nice as well. 4 and 6 give great control. Good nature grasp, and playing with it I am not really disappointed anymore that they took druid as a nature/moon worshipper instead of a shapeshifter like A WoW druid. The Beam on #1 staff is pretty short and doesnt feel as much as Mesmer GS #1 as I feared. So good job on that.

3) Daredevil. In this one I am struggling a lot more with the staff. I think the range is too short on skills like #3. You have to stand almost inside your opponent to hit them. I think range should be bigger than on sword/dagger skills.
I think #2, #4 and #5 are not as smooth as they could be. I like the physical skills a lot. I feel they play well with the rest of theme. I tried running it with Staff / Shortbow and it seemed really solid.

Just updating the Saturday morning (EST) raid list:
1. Kos Luftar
2. Hythlody
3. SpiritFox
4. Kanik
7. Morkoh
8. usea
9. Varix (hockeypuck)

If anyone on the list can't make it, let me know here in OT or PM (here or in game).

Thank you all for trying this out with me.
3spots available but raid not working anyway.

I'll just be exploring verdant brink then if you guys still want to party up.

Proven

That's like the most ridiculous complaint I've seen in a while, they'll have a whole new game to play, and even if they only play WwW a whole new borderland and new shiny WwW mechanics to play around with.

After 3 years waiting two more months is really not the end of the world considering they'll have things to play to unlock it anyway.

My link was broken, but let me repost it anyway: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/The-Arena-Wait-Time-and-GvG/5559684

Colin said:
benjenx.6427 said:
tl;dr : I think that a long timegate on Guild Arenas will make them ineffective at addressing some of the concerns of players who are pushing for them the hardest, and I hope that we can find a smart way to address this before the expansion drops. Hopefully we can get a feedback thread started for ideas.
Really great feedback Benjenx – just want to take a moment and point out this exactly how feedback is best phrased. It’s constructive, thoughtful, and makes great points. This is exactly the kind of feedback we spend our time focusing on reading and listening to – so thank you!
In regards to the time line for the Arena – we discussed as a team and ultimately agree it’s important this building be available early for guilds who really want to acquire it. The base arena building will be available within about two weeks of time after launch (based on aetherium and favor requirements) as long as the guild gets enough gold/materials/etc. acquired from game-play in that two week time to build the building. [TLDR; the fastest any guild could build the building will be about two weeks]
Thanks again for the feedback – we hope you enjoy the arena as much as we do!

As for quick feedback, I'm absolutely loving a lot of the trait changes they made, especially for Dragonhunter and Chronomancer. However, my builds aren't coming together 100% and it's my fault; I'm trying to take existing builds and add in the Elite spec, which doesn't work most of the time. I just end up feeling like I'm constantly missing something.

When I get home this evening I'm going to try making builds from the ground up that support what the elite trait lines offer. Part of the problem is that I'm also not used to the limits of the trait lines, e.g. how much clone generation does the Chronomancer line provide on its own before I start making a theme around shattering often for alacrity upkeep.

My Dragonhunter build works, but that's in part because the build didn't work with the regular five specialization lines. My Chronomancer build doesn't, because it's ad hoc of my current Mesmer build. My Daredevil build is in a weird spot, because I want to use a Tricks build but Daredevil provides a Evade->Remove Condition that's too good to pass up. Either the build can rely on using Tricks and Pain Response to remove conditions or the build needs to change to be more around Daredevil and physical skills. My Berserker (from last beta) doesn't work for the same reason my Chronomancer doesn't work. I wish we didn't get only four beta slots, because I also want to work on Reaper, but maybe I'll delete a character by Sunday for that. Possibly Dragonhunter to save some of the fun for him for later, and because Ash already has a Dragonhunter and I want to get things more diverse for the raid.

I'll be on for the 9PM raid. Life needs to take a break and let me play video games.

Fishious

So I just spent a lot of time writing a heartfelt post on the official forums trying to articulate why the drastic change in difficulty was a bad move only for someone to post a minute before me that Colin had already responded on reddit and the change was not intentional.

On the one hand I could have used that time for more productive things, like working on masteries that will be wiped in a few days, but mostly I'm relieved to hear Anet's on the same page regarding difficulty.

I don't see how mob scaling and low enemy density are 'bugs'. Not to mention the beetles' no longer being invulnerable from the sides.

It seems deliberate to me. I hope they do something about it but I won't hold my breath.

hythloday

Hi everybody I hope you are enjoying your beta weekend, here is the view from my balcony for the day
:D

Is that Stormbluff isle irl

So I just spent a lot of time writing a heartfelt post on the official forums trying to articulate why the drastic change in difficulty was a bad move only for someone to post a minute before me that Colin had already responded on reddit and the change was not intentional.

On the one hand I could have used that time for more productive things, like working on masteries that will be wiped in a few days, but mostly I'm relieved to hear Anet's on the same page regarding difficulty.

You know, I played for a little while in the beginning instance after I made a Ranger/Druid last night, and I was thinking "gosh this is easy." I was killing stuff in seconds just using auto attack on the staff. Then I went to reddit and saw people complaining about it. I haven't played any of the previous betas (still haven't really, because I don't want to spoil myself much) so I wasn't aware of how much anything had changed. I'm glad to see I wasn't imagining things and that it will get fixed to be more challenging at some point.

I haven't seen the sun in over a week.

Grounded?

Jira

So Colin posted about the BWE3 open world "nerf"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3na4rx/bwe3_open_world_pve_nerved/cvmqq66

Colin Johanson:

Hey folks,

Coming out of beta weekend two we were really happy with the over all open world difficulty. The only exceptions were that the wyvern was way too easy and didn't scale well, and mushroom stompers were a little much. Thats all that should have changed for bwe3 - we will have to look into what the issue is here to find out why its being perceived as so much easier.

Also, Walrus, I did some healing testing on Druid with clerics and monk runes and DAMN the sustain is pretty high.

I think necromancer might be a favorite with reaper spec. The soul reaping and reaper trait lines synergize really well and make for a great melee necromancer, I'm loving it. It's made me come to realize something more about me as a player.

I love gw2 melee. Doesn't matter how I get it, I want it on any class I play. This is why i run d/d ele pretty much everywhere, mained warrior for a long time, and dual swords on mesmer. This is why I've neglected my engineer and necro, neither had interesting melee options.

Retro

As for quick feedback, I'm absolutely loving a lot of the trait changes they made, especially for Dragonhunter and Chronomancer. However, my builds aren't coming together 100% and it's my fault; I'm trying to take existing builds and add in the Elite spec, which doesn't work most of the time. I just end up feeling like I'm constantly missing something.

This has been my problem as well. There's no way I can adapt my current Engineer build to incorporate Scrapper without feeling like I'm giving too much up, and I was initially disappointed to find the Juggernaut / Mass Momentum combo just doesn't justify losses in other areas. But that's completely overlooking how many good traits and abilities Scrappers have on their own that other trait lines can support, instead of Scrapper being a new thing that's supposed to compliment every existing play style.

It's not going to be a problem for everyone and honesty I don't know if there's a better way to introduce things like this to GW2 that aren't more disruptive or less effective. That's probably why I think so highly of Reaper; I wasn't a fan of the existing Necro options, so of course it's going to stand out more. It's one of those mental blocks I need to get past, and I'm sure a few other people will feel it as well. I'm concerned that the feedback players are giving is going to be colored by this, but I trust ANet to sort it out.

Luckily, I have alts for every profession who can really justify their existence by incorporating the new specializations, so it's all good on my end.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm glad they managed to fix Necromancer and Mesmer for PvE. The two classes I thought needed the biggest boost, I feel now have the most entertaining Elite classes, after having played through them all.

Retro

Regina Buenaobra said:
Hey everyone, I have an update regarding the availability of raids.

Due to the issues we experienced yesterday with the Enhance Squad UI and with further internal discussion, we have made the very difficult decision to keep raids turned off for the remainder of the beta weekend.

We are continuing to investigate the issues and also looking into options that would allow us to get more testing on these features before we release.

We thank you for your patience and understanding. (source)

Retro

I guess the one bit of good news is that raiding wasn't scheduled to go live immediately with HoT, so there may be time to test them without impacting the release date.

It's also good that this was found during Beta rather than live, which is exactly why you have testing like this in the first place. Looking over at the Wildstar OT (where most of the posts are lag / disconnect /error / queue complaints) reminds me how lucky we were to have such a smooth launch and consequent content releases. Apart from the TP being down for a week or two and the "Join in..." feature being hit or miss for a few days, GW2's launch was insanely smooth (and most importantly, you could actually play it despite those issues), and only a handful of Living Story updates were buggy to the point of being unplayable. Glad we're getting this stuff out of the way now instead of the 23rd.

There's gonna be plenty "I paid for this Beta!" comments in all the usual nasty places, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom