• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

Dungeons paid for 5 of my 6 Legendary, it was the fastest way to make money in the game...

It doesn't mean people are being screwed if we're being compensated with other avenues to get the materials to build up a legendary, outside of the possible fact that there's no longer a single most efficient angle in the form of gold making through dungeons.

Yay, I'm not a terrible animal anymore.

IOfrWmS.jpg

Morokh

All this economy thing seems like yet another Anet info-post that only tells half of the story and makes people angry. (In the vein of the Pre-order, and announcing F2P 8 months later).

But if they nerf gold rewards for dungeons in a significant manner, once I'm done with the few paths I haven't done for achievements, I have zero reasons to run them ever again.
Unlocking skins through PvP dailies is way more chill for me than finding a group, and putting up with the Meta nonsense.

On top of that they talk about their new map-reward system like the second coming of the messiah, yet, with the way it was built in the Betas, it just wasn't worth it unless maybe if you go for insanely expensive things like Giant-eyes.
They talked about it not being final but we did not get more information about it yet.

When you have something as profitable as Silverwastes in the game, and I'm not exclusively talking about chest farm here, map->breach->Vinewrath-> maze is good money too, they seriously need to revamp it in a big way.

On the topic of random things to shake-up a bit with the expansion, I hope we get changes to how BL keys and BL ticket items work too.

Morokh

How do map rewards work? I didn't see anything new in the BWEs.

You had to be on a Beta character, and each old map had a few items listed as possible rewards for completing events, some tied to the level of the area, some just being rarer materials, or some expensive sellable trash (like 20s a piece).

In practice, in the Betas you only got one of the item after completing a few events, it didn't seem to follow any particular pattern, and the item was automatically added to your inventory without any prompt, so if you were not paying attention, it felt extremely unrewarding.
Also the time spent vs additionnal reward ratio wasn't very good (once again remembering that there is dungeons the way they are today and maps like Silverwastes)
Spent a couple of hours in Orr with my revenant to test this out and I wasn't overly impressed.

There has been some data-mining a few months back suggesting that they were re-working them to be more like actual reward-tracks (like the ones in PvP) where you would get a specific amount of points for completing an event, and you'll always get the next reward on the track, with each map having an 8 week rotation with different possible rewards.
See here
It'll all boil down to how they balanced the amount of points you get for each event to see if it'll be worth it, assuming that's the system they settled-for.

Proven

Last I checked there was a pattern to map rewards: https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3gieu8/map_bonus_how_it_presumably_works/

Map rewards are also likely going into bouncy chests at launch, instead of being deposited right into your bags. Just shoving stuff into your bags without any notification doesn't sound like something ANet wants to do for the future.

Reading around the internet... https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/hot/Economy-Questions-Repost

The biggest answer is that they're lowering the pure gold earned from dungeons specifically to decentivize dungeons. Many people fear people aren't going to run dungeons, but I still see new players, players looking for dungeon skins that don't like PvP, and friends/guilds doing dungeons for fun and/or events. What you lose primarily are the people doing dungeons specifically because it was a high gold per hour option. While this may lower the average skill level of those playing dungeons it will likely also lower the stress for those at that lower skill level as those looking for gold efficiency may just move to some other content, like Fractals.

I also wouldn't mind seeing dungeons made a bit easier for lower level players.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I've done lots of dungeons but only one Fractal. I've always wanted to do Fractals but they're daunting, and fairly long. With the expansion they'll be shorter and I'm guessing there will be a lot more people learning them which will make me more comfortable joining a PUG without feeling like dead weight. Plus dungeons are by far the easiest way to gear up, all my characters have been geared through CoF 1 & 2 which takes about 20 minutes a day. Personally I'm looking forward to experiencing Fractals and the expansion has really made them more accessible.

Those Economy changes proof they fucking the players who don't move to HoT....I have HoT, but sucks for the other Vanilla players..
Or proof that you have an overly active imagination. Because if your argument was true, they wouldnt emphasis fractal since fractal is vanilla content.

Second problem with your theory, dungeon is mostly responsible for the gold inflation. Dungeons printed money out of nowhere, SW simply transfers wealth from player 1 to 2 AND it get taxed. So barely new wealth is created.

Also all mmo intentionally screw players who don't buy expansion. Arena net hasn't hidden that fact by explicitly locking everything behind the expansion, just like every mmo. If this your first mmo, ever?

Or proof that you have an overly active imagination. Because if your argument was true, they wouldnt emphasis fractal since fractal is vanilla content.

Second problem with your theory, dungeon is mostly responsible for the gold inflation. Dungeons printed money out of nowhere, SW simply transfers wealth from player 1 to 2 AND it get taxed. So barely new wealth is created.

Also all mmo intentionally screw players who don't buy expansion. Arena net hasn't hidden that fact by explicitly locking everything behind the expansion, just like every mmo. If this your first mmo, ever?

Very sensible way of looking at it.

Proven

So every map is going to become Silverwastes lite? That seems good, if they can pull it off.

Of course, the key thing to everything is if they can pull it off. Especially when it comes to things like silk, it feels like much of the heavy lifting will be done through the volume of players trying to get silk rather than any one player actually earning lots of silk for themselves.

And the legendary blog post bugs me because it feels like Legendaries are going to take double the time and effort as before to earn, which is out of whack with everything else I see in GW2. Unless I consider Ascended crafting, lol.

I'm somewhat okay with the dungeon nerf if they start adding new fractals more regularly. Dungeons were made when, in my opinion, ANet wasn't very good at encounter design, and while I do find them fun for a while, I don't think it's particularly high quality content.

But if they're gonna stop supporting dungeons, then they really need to have a fractal team or something. A group dedicated to making new fractal experiences and pumping them out on a regular basis.

PatzCU

Quick question about ascended armor:

Do I need to craft ascended armor myself? If the two classes I play the most are Necro and Mesmer, I'm guessing I should work on getting tailoring to 400?

Thank you!

tiijj

Yes, since they are account bound, also you need crafting level 500 for the ascended.

If you don't want to level up your crafting, you can hope for an ascended armor drop. I completed by light set with just drops but it took a while before I completed all 6.

Thorgal

Quick question about ascended armor:

Do I need to craft ascended armor myself? If the two classes I play the most are Necro and Mesmer, I'm guessing I should work on getting tailoring to 400?

Thank you!

There are 2 ways to get ascended armor : either craft it yourself in which case you need to have either level 500 armorcrafting , leatherworking or tailoring depending on what you are playing ( heavy medium or light ) which is not exactly cheap , and then you still need to craft the armor pieces yourself which will take you a month or so due to the timegated items ( unless you buy them on the TP for quite a high price ) .

Second option is getting lucky during a fractal or open content and get a ascended armor box to drop .

Taffer

Map rewards may result in me spending all day in Orr selling greens to NPCs because silk isn't worth putting on the TP. Pen/Shelter is back, almost exactly three years later!

Yay, I'm not a terrible animal anymore.

Lush golden mane and cute little wet nose: Official.

So every map is going to become Silverwastes lite? That seems good, if they can pull it off.

Then hopefully they can kill of geodes and bandit chests. I'm sick of these currencies. THERE IS TOO MANY OF THEM!

Gold

Gems

Laurels

Fractal Relics

Shards of Glory

Transmutation charges

Luck

Spirit Shards

Badges of Honor

Guild Commendations

That is enough. Stop. Remove these Dungeon tokens. Remove geodes. Bandit crests. Karma has not gotten enough play for a long time, and karma is a wonderful currency. It's one of my favorites. It's too bad that you can't salvage the Exotic Orr Karma Vendor armors. or Karma bought rewards in general. its a pain in the ass running around the map buying skins from hearts vendors and you cant salvage them. Weird restriction.

Morokh

Then hopefully they can kill of geodes and bandit chests. I'm sick of these currencies. THERE IS TOO MANY OF THEM!

Brace yourself then, cause HoT will bring more of them.

But with the new wallet it's really not an issue, and Karma will get many new uses in the expansion.

Also luck as a currency ? did I miss something ?

Cels

I barely play anymore but I have been keeping an eye on HoT news to see if I want to get back into the game.

I see a lot of backlash to the dungeon rewards reduction. I think I have a good understanding of why they are doing it:

Anet is admitting they are no longer going to make any more dungeon content or focus on dungeons.
Dungeon content currently provides too much of an incentive to run (i.e., liquid gold) and they want players to play the new content that they are focusing on, so they are going to shift the rewards to other places.

I don't particularly care about the reward reduction. It makes total sense that they want players to play their new content. I am just sad about them abandoning dungeons for good, not that they hadn't already effectively done that.

Back in November 2012 Chris Whiteside said they would overhaul every single existing dungeon.

And so, in February 2013, Ascalonian Catacombs got the revamp. It was nice to revisit the dungeon and see what had changed. I looked forward to the revamp of the other seven dungeons.

Later, in October, Aetherpath was added (removing F/U path). I liked Aetherpath, too. But...it was unpopular, probably because it was long, had unskippable cutscenes (why?), and poor rewards for the time invested.

And that was just about it for major dungeon changes (correct me if I am missing anything). That's what we've gotten for three years. And with this economy blog, it strongly implies there probably will never be any more dungeon content, ever. Damn.

Cels

Chris Whiteside said a lot of things. He no longer works at ANET. Dungeon team dissolved/let go, since Karka Queen was updated.

Yeah, I get it. Dungeons were abandoned long ago. They want us to go to fractals/raids now for group play, it looks like. Or to the new SW-like maps being introduced in HoT.

I actually don't mind fractals at all, they are just dungeons with agony resist to me. I wish we'd get more though. Nothing since Thaumanova was added in the Fractured update two years ago.

I fucking hate this.

Why? It goes completely against the philosophy of having things to do all the way through all of your levels. If Fractals are all they want us to do then everyone will need to be level 80 before they can do group content, and that pisses me off. If you take away the rewards, no one will want to do them, ergo, people won't be able to play them. Then you have what, world bosses? Fucking nothing? Pisses me off.

Spyware

Heeeeywaitwhat!? Are they bringing back that Mad King dungeon where you fight him on floaty rocks?
c139210_23-SMK-Screenshot-06.jpg

Ascent to Madness
Delve into the Mad King’s lair! This devilish dungeon encounter will bring you face-to-face with King Oswald Thorn himself for a frightful fight. Be on your guard – the diabolical monarch has deadly tricks up his sleeve.
YAYNESS!

Looks like it's gonna be the best Halloween since release :O

I fucking hate this.

Why? It goes completely against the philosophy of having things to do all the way through all of your levels. If Fractals are all they want us to do then everyone will need to be level 80 before they can do group content, and that pisses me off. If you take away the rewards, no one will want to do them, ergo, people won't be able to play them. Then you have what, world bosses? Fucking nothing? Pisses me off.
The only people who will stop doing them are the ones currently doing it only for the gold. People like me will still run them. People who find them fun. People who wanna collect tokens for dungeon gear (and don't PvP). People who gladly help lowbies through for fun. Saying that dungeons will be impossible to run beacuse of a gold nerf seems... odd.

Heeeeywaitwhat!? Are they bringing back that Mad King dungeon where you fight him on floaty rocks?

YAYNESS!

Looks like it's gonna be the best Halloween since release :O

The only people who will stop doing them are the ones currently doing it only for the gold. People like me will still run them. People who find them fun. People who wanna collect tokens for dungeon gear (and don't PvP). People who gladly help lowbies through for fun. Saying that dungeons will be impossible to run beacuse of a gold nerf seems... odd.

I must have misread something, it sounded like there were other things about them getting nerfed. How severe is the gold nerf? Are we talking a difference of 1G per run to 50S? Are they going to give us more dungeon tokens as compensation (Actually I'd really love that)?

Ashodin

Man I'm stoked for Halloween this year. New rewards, ascent to madness is back, karka hatchling headpiece, Ohhhhh man. Too much to do!

They didn't say by how much gold nerf but John Smith in the Q&A said that dungeon tokens will stay the same.

Lame. I'd totally be happy with them just cutting gold in half, and Dungeon tokens doubled. There's not gonna be any compensation then.

Which is really annoying. Dungeons SHOULD give a good reward, since they are harder than much of the other content in the game.

Lame. I'd totally be happy with them just cutting gold in half, and Dungeon tokens doubled. There's not gonna be any compensation then.

Which is really annoying. Dungeons SHOULD give a good reward, since they are harder than much of the other content in the game.

Why? Dungeons exist solely to significantly increase the rate of inflation in the economy. Quite frankly, a lot of people that like easy gold are going to be disappointed, but I welcome the cheaper price for stuff.

Not only that but dungeons are terrible content, it teaches the players how to play the game horribly. I am glad that Arena net has decide to stop wasting resources on a poorly dungeons. Obviously, you wont be happy about this new outcome but Arena net are the ones who make the decisions.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Map completion really does take awhile, especially when you can't play much (back is fucked). I'm at about 73% now, I don't really plan to get a legendary, it's just something I want to do once for the sake of it.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
ascent to madness was n will be awesome, clock tower is great fun one you have the hang of it such a great jumping puzzle for just a holiday event aswell,

one thing i admire arenanet for even gw1 they really do put love into there holiday events and stand out over most mmos etc for it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ascent to Madness was a ton of fun at least, I must have done it 12 or 15 times.

Wonder how much muscle memory I retain year over year for the clock tower.

Why? Dungeons exist solely to significantly increase the rate of inflation in the economy. Quite frankly, a lot of people that like easy gold are going to be disappointed, but I welcome the cheaper price for stuff.

Not only that but dungeons are terrible content, it teaches the players how to play the game horribly. I am glad that Arena net has decide to stop wasting resources on a poorly dungeons. Obviously, you wont be happy about this new outcome but Arena net are the ones who make the decisions.

Are you saying that playing Dungeons is playing horribly? Or that the game does not prepare you for dungeons?

I do think there should be some "mini dungeons" in the lower levels to help prepare for AC, which is a huge change in difficulty...

If it's to prevent gold inflation, I'm fine with that, but I'd love if they balanced it out with more dungeon tokens. You can't trade dungeon items, or dungeon tokens, so there's little worry for inflation there. Maybe not quite as much as what they take from gold, but a little boost would be appreciated (or prices adjusted? Iunno)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
You can't transmog Greatswords to Axes right? If you could I'd buy that executioner set for my Warrior.

As for Halloween I'm so hyped for it as it's my first, I will level up my Revenant doing it.

Quenk

You can't transmog Greatswords to Axes right? If you could I'd buy that executioner set for my Warrior.

As for Halloween I'm so hyped for it as it's my first, I will level up my Revenant doing it.

The axe is a costume brawl toy and not a weapon skin.

Zeroth

TOMORROW!

★ Jumping Puzzle Event Series ★
☆ NEXT UPCOMING EVENT - WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 14 ☆

Event #8 - Swashbuckler's Cove, King Jalis's Refuge

Recommended Character Level: 50
Required Zone: Gendarran Fields, Snowden Drifts

Recommended Waypoints:
Cornucopian Fields Waypoint — [&BOMAAAA=]
Highpass Haven Waypoint — [&BLUAAAA=]

How is it possible that a MMO can abandon dungeons one year in? Atrocious.
Maybe because they were horribly designed and the guy responsible for such attrocities got fired 2 years ago?

Are you saying that playing Dungeons is playing horribly? Or that the game does not prepare you for dungeons?

I do think there should be some "mini dungeons" in the lower levels to help prepare for AC, which is a huge change in difficulty...

If it's to prevent gold inflation, I'm fine with that, but I'd love if they balanced it out with more dungeon tokens. You can't trade dungeon items, or dungeon tokens, so there's little worry for inflation there. Maybe not quite as much as what they take from gold, but a little boost would be appreciated (or prices adjusted? Iunno)

I am saying that most of the dungeons were extremely uninspiring.

BTW, I am not against them bumping up the tokens but I can see why they wont do it. JS has been open to the fact that Arena net simply wants to kill the dungeons for good. It seems the amount of work required to upkeep dungeons is not very cost effective to them.

leng jai

Maybe because they were horribly designed and the guy responsible for such attrocities got fired 2 years ago?

I am saying that most of the dungeons were extremely uninspiring.

BTW, I am not against them bumping up the tokens but I can see why they wont do it. JS has been open to the fact that Arena net simply wants to kill the dungeons for good. It seems the amount of work required to upkeep dungeons is not very cost effective to them.

So hire someone better and produce good instanced content? Aren't dungeons meant to be a fundamental part of MMOs? Or are we just going to run around in zergs pressing one most of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom