• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

Is there going to be another Silverwastes farm type of map? I love farming.

Well of the one map we've seen, Verdrant Brink certainly will not be one. Silverwastes and Dry Top were really a proof of concept for HoT maps and then with HoT they took it much further.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dungeon_armor

Sorrow's Embrace and HotW too. SE should be easier and ran more.

Derp, I was about to say wohoo I can get a bunch of tokens in one day but you can't use them as cross currency haha Still, nice to have choices. Thanks for the tip on going with SE, haven't run any dungeons in forever and even when I did, mostly grinded CoF for zerker so don't remember the speed and level of difficulty between them. Too bad it's not TA, I have a few aether keys I need to burn haha I'd say it'd be smarter to buy with Karma but I kind of want to save it in case there is stuff rolled out down the road in HoT that requires it whereas dungeon tokens don't have any other value. Thanks again!

Jira

There's an exchange between Rubi and Linsey over on reddit. Seems they're gonna record the Legendary stream tomorrow.

Levyne

Banned
Just ordered HoT at last.

In other news, can someone explain Drytop and Silverwastes for me?

I'm sure the wiki or something could give you a better summary but I'll try to be relatively concise.

Dry Top:

1-hour rotations. 40 minutes of doing as many events as successfully as possible to up the zone's "Tier", and then 20 minutes of more events during the sandstorm. Geodes are the zone currency, you get more at higher tiers, more during the sandstorm, and the vendors in the area sell stuff for cheaper at higher tiers. One of the main zone-specific things slowly acquired in this way are Ambrite weapons. There are also chests to unlock with lock-picks during the sandstorm.​

Silverwastes:

Four forts throughout the zone that you periodically have to defend and complete events around. The more successfully this is done, the faster the meta-event completes. Then it goes into a breach phase where bosses at each fort much be defeated in a short time window. Then into a Vinewraith phase where 3 lanes are protected and 3 more bosses are defeated. Then there is a labyrinth that I believe is far less popular. Zone currency is Bandit Crests. Used to get stuff like keys for the Silverwaste chests and stuff to make sinister gear.

Note that many silverwaste maps are specifically player-formed as "chest trains", where players will go as a group only to open chests and not to complete the meta event.​

I'm leaving out some particulars but that's the digest version.

Levyne

Banned
I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about expansions or such having to be on gaming side or having to not be on gaming side, but I think if HoT OT was stuck in gaming for a month no one would take issue with it. I think that's generally what's done anyways.

Hedge

Good digest version. I took a break for a good while and came back a few days ago. I promptly tried the Silverwastes.
The first phase and boss fight is great.. but the chest farming? This is the famed SW farm? I can't believe people have been doing this for months. Some guy said he'd do it 5-7 hours every day. Whattt.

I was bored 20 minutes in.

I hope the Vinewrath boss is a sign of what is to come, not the farm.

Jira

Good digest version. I took a break for a good while and came back a few days ago. I promptly tried the Silverwastes.
The first phase and boss fight is great.. but the chest farming? This is the famed SW farm? I can't believe people have been doing this for months. Some guy said he'd do it 5-7 hours every day. Whattt.

Vinewrath is indeed more in line with where they're going and even harder stuff is already in Verdant Brink. Chest farming happens in SW due to the shovel mechanics. There's chests in VB, but they're in the air and reaching them isn't as simple as SW. They also may only open for the individual who opened them and not everyone. Each new zone will also have a big world boss like Tequatl/Triple Trouble. We also have absolutely no clue what the other 3 zones look like mechanically.

Fishious

To be fair, I don't think the chest farm was really intended. And from the beta sections of Verdant Brink I haven't really seen anything comparable to chest farm so hopefully there won't be. I'm pretty sure people mainly do it because 1) It's braindead and can be done while doing other stuff 2) It gives some of the best rewards in the game per time input.

Generally I like the Silverwastes, though it has grown stale since it's the latest "new" content we've had for months now. Still I like to give it a run every now and then. Only very rarely do I do a chest train and then I can usually only make 1-2 circuits before I'm bored out of my mind.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Man some of these S2 achievements are brutal. Spent forever today getting through episode 8 and a bit of 7

Ashodin

I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about expansions or such having to be on gaming side or having to not be on gaming side, but I think if HoT OT was stuck in gaming for a month no one would take issue with it. I think that's generally what's done anyways.

Well it's essentially entirely new game content, and people who would want to get back in the game need notice this is coming out. So a new OT does both.

Vena

Whats the over-under on SAB coming back in the near future? I have a bunch of skins I am thinking of selling, specifically as they will plummet in price the moment SAB comes back.

I've been meaning on finishing Sunrise for Eternity for some time but I'd need to dive into my skin bank collection to fund parts of it, and this seemed like the most easily lost skins that have a high likelihood of returning. Rather than selling, say, my Roses or Dragon Wings or whatever else came up from SSC and Zephyrite events of yore (some of which I am almost certain will never come back).

Jira

Whats the over-under on SAB coming back in the near future? I have a bunch of skins I am thinking of selling, specifically as they will plummet in price the moment SAB comes back.

I've been meaning on finishing Sunrise for Eternity for some time but I'd need to dive into my skin bank collection to fund parts of it, and this seemed like the most easily lost skins that have a high likelihood of returning. Rather than selling, say, my Roses or Dragon Wings or whatever else came up from SSC and Zephyrite events of yore (some of which I am almost certain will never come back).

SAB has to be completely reworked due to a lot of new physics systems for HoT. So 2016 at the earliest.

Retro

Retro working on it?

My brother's in town, so not physically but I have a lot of it planned out and I've been grabbing art assets I think I'll want when I have a chance. Mostly been driving all over the the place looking for places to dig up fossils, I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

Are we gonna have a thread on Gaming side? I don't know if that's the case with expansion releases.

Heavensward and Warlords of Draenor both had new threads started on Gaming Side; FFXIV's OT just closed up and everyone moved to that one, while the WoW OT stayed open as its own individual thing. I think we'll probably do the former so we don't have to monitor two threads for invites.

My brother's in town, so not physically but I have a lot of it planned out and I've been grabbing art assets I think I'll want when I have a chance. Mostly been driving all over the the place looking for places to dig up fossils, I'll post some pictures when I have a chance.

Who is creating the actual thread then? Hawkian?

Cool, please do.

Had no idea you went outside for other reasons besides picking up Meg from work or picking up stray cats.

spiritfox

Remember to bring the fossils to the Pokemon lab so they can revive them. Hopefully you got the cool pterodactyl and not the shitty horseshoe crab.

Heavensward and Warlords of Draenor both had new threads started on Gaming Side; FFXIV's OT just closed up and everyone moved to that one, while the WoW OT stayed open as its own individual thing. I think we'll probably do the former so we don't have to monitor two threads for invites.

Cool, looking forward to it!

Jira

Cool, please do.

Had no idea you went outside for other reasons besides picking up Meg from work or picking up stray cats.

I think he was implying he's not working on it RIGHT NOW. But Retro will be posting the OT as it's fairly complicated to post.

Stormbluff Isle, though servers only really matter for WvW at this point.

(right?)

Correct.

Retro

Nah, he's only in town until Sunday, I'll be making it sometime Late Wednesday or Thursday (since OTs can only go up 24 hours in advance).

Cool, please do.

Here ya go, not that anyone really cares too much, but it's a slow news day, right? We went to a place on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. The area where we were at was part of an inland sea about 10-20 million years ago; the cliffs were basically the ancient coastline and as the waters receded they began to erode, giving you a cross-section of the land. Just above the current beach level is where the ancient seabed used to be, supposedly there's shark, ray, whale and seabird fossils but we mostly saw clams and such.
hEKy9zD.jpg

LZNlHsB.jpg

Here's the cliffs; in this picture above, the ancient seabed is the dark stuff at the base of the cliff.
zDOctQD.jpg

Here's a better shot of the fossilized layer.
ED2xsqh.jpg

Even closer view, you can see all the shells and such.
CDGbJrZ.jpg

This was all we (and by "we", I mean "my brother, who actually knew what he was looking for") found that was decent (you're not allowed to take stuff from the cliff itself, besides being illegal there's also a shitload of rock above you ready to collapse, which is why the beach is closed in those sections), mostly lifting up rocks and digging around in the sand. Pretty small, but there were quite a few people there before us and stuff doesn't always wash up (usually a good nor'easter has to go through, there's videos online of people just picking up big ass megalodon teeth right off the sand after storms).
We also went digging through some dredge piles from the canal near here, we actually found a lot more cool stuff in there (ancient squid shells, mostly). Might get some pictures of those tomorrow.

Remember to bring the fossils to the Pokemon lab so they can revive them. Hopefully you got the cool pterodactyl and not the shitty horseshoe crab.
Sorry to disappoint; the closest thing to a Pterodactyl would have been "seabirds that were the size of small airplanes," and we didn't see anything like that.

Stormbluff Isle, though servers only really matter for WvW at this point.

(right?)

Correct; as long a you're on an NA server you can do everything with GAF except WvW (not that we have a regular presence there thought).

Retro

Wait, you went digging through Dredge piles? Hope you brought a sword.

:p

You're the third person to make a joke along those lines.
JUWnj.gif

(They dredge sand from the canal so ships can navigate it safely, bringing up all sorts of goodies; the sand piles we were digging in are notoriously good for those kind of fossils).

Thorgal

I am in CFL guild and we do 7hour crestfallen every Friday.

Guild leader farmed about 65k champ bags :p

Is crafting a source of money? Like, can I make armor to get some cash? Or at least save a bunch of it when it comes to making armor?

Just wondering.

Moondrop

Banned
I tested some P/P thief per Proven's suggestion. I'm not sure I'm a fan for life leech purposes, but P/P can make for one hell of a lulzy glass cannon build.

The trick with this one is to combine the No Quarter trait (extended fury duration on crit) with Altruism runes (fury on heal). Then keep hitting 3. Just don't get hit yourself. ;)

Bear in mind that Altruism runes cost 5 gold to unlock.

Vena

SAB has to be completely reworked due to a lot of new physics systems for HoT. So 2016 at the earliest.

Hum... interesting. I wonder if I shouldn't let the skins mature a little longer, then.

Is crafting a source of money? Like, can I make armor to get some cash? Or at least save a bunch of it when it comes to making armor?

Just wondering.

Craft rare GSs, its always a profit but its a small and slow one. Or, conversely, if you have some of the Queen's Gauntlet recipes for Runes/Sigils, some of them are a pretty huge turn-over but slow to sell. That's generally how I make my money over long stretches outside of matured skins or otherwise.

Fishious

Just wondering.

Short answer: No and no.

Long answer: Not really on both counts. I often find you can get exotic armor cheaper on the TP than crafting it yourself, even buying really cheap mats. If you're willing to drop the money, getting one of the armor craftings to 450 will let you make ascended materials, like Damask which is profitable. Deldrimor steel will also earn you a little, but currently the other 2 cost more to make than sell. This may change after HoT as demand for ascended armor/weapons shifts and new uses for the mats are added, but it's all speculation at the moment.

Of course if you're dedicated you can find those niches that aren't being served, buy mats on the cheap, and make some profit, but for the most part I don't suggest it. Like Vena said, if you've got some of those limited availability recipes you can often make money using them, but they're profitable specifically because only a small portion of the playerbase has them.

Vena

Of course if you're dedicated you can find those niches that aren't being served, buy mats on the cheap, and make some profit, but for the most part I don't suggest it. Like Vena said, if you've got some of those limited availability recipes you can often make money using them, but they're profitable specifically because only a small portion of the playerbase has them.

The other recipe is the original Aetherblade Refuge crafting stone/oil/crystal recipes. Those are extremely rare now (with the recipe itself costing in the 100g+ range), and I don't think have ever been available outside of way back when. The Gauntlet recipes, by comparison, were available for a long-ass time and for everyone to buy, so there's potentially a lot more of them out there.

Thorgal

Just wondering.

You can make a decent amount of money by crafting items and selling those, especially time gated ones like damask cloth and deldrimoor ingots

Rogan

Banned
Well of the one map we've seen, Verdrant Brink certainly will not be one. Silverwastes and Dry Top were really a proof of concept for HoT maps and then with HoT they took it much further.

Great, really looking forward to this! I always thought the expansion was not that big and I never read into any news. It really looks promising after doing some research.

Jira

Great, really looking forward to this! I always thought the expansion was not that big and I never read into any news. It really looks promising after doing some research.

There's actually A LOT in it, a lot we know about and a lot we don't. What's even more impressive is they did all of this in a bit over 1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom