• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worst thing to happen to the game since SAB!

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-interview
USgamer: Can we expect to see the new Mastery system extend to PVP?

Matt: If you're familiar with WvW ability lines, they're actually very similar to Mastery lines. Mastery lines are a PVE answer for progression. WvW already has a long-term system. We're not talking yet about what we're doing for PVP progression overall, but it definitely is part of the expansion that we're looking at.

Looks like there might be changes to the PvP Reward system once again. I think it is in a good place right now but I wonder what else they want to change.

Logged in all I see are black wings in the Mists.

Bunch of sheep.
Then I bought them too!

Nclfvqh.jpg

Retro

Looks like a potential Thief Rifle skill;
RUhVP6K.jpg

Mentions a rifle and kind of looks like a thief. That's definitely medium armor so in theory it could be an engineer, but...
T0zJ3Ew.jpg

There's like an orange laser sight, then it fires off a bunch of shots all at once. Pretty cool looking.
Visible here: http://youtu.be/010AedkzQiY?t=8m34s

xeris

Even though I don't play much anymore I couldn't resist the gem sink.

2wg2WJu.jpg

Actually picked it up for my Goth Human Guardian that at my current rate I'll never get to, but wanted to see it on good ol' Ivo.

Moondrop

Banned
Do I get credit toward harpy slayer if I squish one of y'all in WvW?

So the third skill of the mesmer scepter chain creates a clone. The wiki says that if reflected it creates an enemy clone. So now I want to get together in an spvp arena with someone and take screenshots of clones of our non-mesmer player characters. What attacks do the clones use?

If anyone is interested let me know.

Moondrop

Banned
Fighting bunker guardians in PvP:
Yeah, going against bunker guards feels as matchup-based as anything in the game. Only my axe warrior can truly punish them, my turret engi and spirit ranger can outlast them, but my phantasm mesmer build is less than 50/50 in a 1v1 and all of my other builds worse. I'm guessing shatters must feel pretty uphill if you're wasting clone bursts just to strip boons to reach their health bar.

Of course the standard adage applies: roll a bunker guard (as I have recently) and magically you'll find yourself playing better against them.

Phazon

A lot of Heart of Thorns info seems to be making its way out from the press event. Stuff on Revenant gameplay, Stronghold PvP, and the intro to the new Maguuma zones.

[HoT News] HoT meeting info megapost

Favorite thing I see so far is the player character talking a lot during the story instance. So happy to not have them silent or only talking in text like during the Living Story.

That it's the human female in this preview is great too since she's the one I hear the most, haha.

That was something i immediately noticed and told the narrative lead. She was super happy that we noticed it. Really great to see this back in the game and get that GW1 feeling back, because even in the vanilla game you usually don't feel like a real commander.

Nice one mate! Here are my biggest questions;

- For new players who come into GW2 along with the expansion, how do you intend to bridge the gap between the personal story, living story season 1 which is gone, and living story season 2 which is costs gems, and then the expansion story? How does ArenaNet plan to increase the narrative thread!

- ArenaNet has said, defending keeps will be a much more significant part of WvW, instead of just giving it up. How are players going to feel content just sitting in a keep waiting for things to happen? how will ArenaNet try to foster this sense of having dramatic battles over ensuring a keep and having keeping it (no pun intended) matter?

Had an interview with two design leads, so I asked them these two questions you provided me with.

- Basically they'll try to tell the bullet points and important events of Season 1 stuff via the story, cutscenes and dialogue in HoT. Season 2 can be bought and if you really want to go in depth, everything can be found on the internet.
(So it doesn't sound like it will return)

- They don't want to go into more WvW details during the event, but there will be a detailed blog describing how they plan to make changes like that interesting.

Sorry I couldn't ask more of your questions, but I had some other ones that were related to what we saw, short summary:

- Masteries will 'feel' active, but there are no active action bars or anything like that
- Lore Mastery will also be implemented in current world, with new stuff to learn and discover in the current maps (they want to provide something for us to go back and revisit it)
- Tons of balancing coming and they'll take a look at stuff that wasn't super viable before (pretty obvious of course)
- Some new tech will be applied to the current Professions if it makes sense or later on, but the flashiness of the Revenant and Specializations is also to lure people into trying them and making them very appealing
- Guild Halls is their biggest Guild-related feature, but there will be more smaller features to improve the 'Guild' aspect in Guild Wars 2 to give us more tools, power and interaction (I asked them about custom guild chat channels)
- Lots of internal talk about Trait templates, but they don't have anything to announce and it's 'too early to talk about it'

Yeah, going against bunker guards feels as matchup-based as anything in the game. Only my axe warrior can truly punish them, my turret engi and spirit ranger can outlast them, but my phantasm mesmer build is less than 50/50 in a 1v1 and all of my other builds worse. I'm guessing shatters must feel pretty uphill if you're wasting clone bursts just to strip boons to reach their health bar.

Of course the standard adage applies: roll a bunker guard (as I have recently) and magically you'll find yourself playing better against them.

Casting Moa on a bunker guardian takes timing, but I've never met a bunker guardian that didn't turn into panicking tissue paper if I pull it off.

Moondrop

Banned
Casting Moa on a bunker guardian takes timing, but I've never met a bunker guardian that didn't turn into panicking tissue paper if I pull it off.
I don't doubt your experience, but for me moa is a skill I never use because it rarely works on me (yes I know that's a logical fallacy, but still). Most mesmers I face make the mistake of opening with moa- allowing me to easily flee with the 2 and 5 skills- when it should be used when opponents have less than half health. Though I had a delicious moment a few weeks ago when I didn't flee but rather charged my foe and downed him with my beak.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Everyone and their mother has wings.

Question! What are the chances of the expansion have free one or two character slots?

Thorgal

I wonder if there will be new worldbosses coming with HOT ?

Currently i am hoping for 2 new ones.

One designed so regular pug groups can beat it(but not too easily ) .

The other one Should be triple wurm levels of hard . perhaps something that you have to chase all over the map and requires diferent groups with each a different mastery totake down specific parts of the boss.

Wanderer5

I was watching a couple charr guildies running with the black wings, and holy crap do they look so stiff.

And I going to guess the crystal nomad outfit is one of the new sneak peek items. I like that they had some fun with the charr tail with some crystals and pieces, but then there tail clipping galore lol. Kind of wish the outfit was a little shorter below the waist on charr, cause I think it a great outfit otherwise that my sylvari ranger could also use too.

the silly party hat is making me laugh

At least one should be good right? What did they do in GW1? What did other MMOs do during expansion packs?

GW1 started lower(4), but you got 2 char slots for finishing each additional campaigns(so pretty much 2 per expansion), and a bonus one for preordering Nightfall. Other mmos it varies, if I remember correctly WoW added like 2slots for WotlK or something like that, raising it from 8 to 10 to match the amount of classes(though might be wrong it's been a while and I'm too lazy to google it). In general if classes are added, it's common to match the char slots with the amount of classes I'd say in most games. So 1 seems fairly likely for this expansion. On the other hand, other games don't let you use ingame currency to buy stuff like that, so who knows.

Morokh

Soooo, masteries so far : courtesy of Reddit
Complete text version of Masteries
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhOLYMveY0U

Heart of Maguuma
Gliding

1 Mastery Point: Glider Basics - Gain access to the glider so that you can glide like a squirrel across the highest point of the Heart of Thorns
1 Mastery Point: Thick Wings - With practice, you learn to treat the wings of your glider, strengthening the flaps, allowing you to stay in the air longer
2 Mastery Points: Updraft Use - Improved design to your glider handles and slits in the wings let you confidently fly into updrafts, allowing a boost to your flight height and the ability to travel to never-before-reachable locations
5 Mastery Points: Stronger Bindings - You learn to bind the wings of your glider with stronger binding straps. The result is longer glide times without tearing apart your wings!
7 Mastery Points: Fast Deploy Wings - Through a series of high-tension springs and quick-release levers, you've rigged your glider to be able to deploy its wings more frequently.
10 Mastery Points: Powerful Leap - After intensive leg training, you have learned to boost yourself into your glide with far greater force.

Exalted Lore
1 Mastery Point: Mordremoth's Bane - The Exalted introduce you to the basics of combatting the Mordrem. Their conditions affect you far less.
3 Mastery Points: Exalted Acceptance - Gain the trust of the strange and mysterious Exalted, giving you access to their services in the Golden City.
5 Mastery Points: Exalted Honing - Learn how to pierce through Tough Bark - which makes some of the more powerful Mordrem otherwise invulnerable now weak to your attacks.
7 Mastery Points: Exalted Markings - Gain the knowledge to read Exalted Markings. You can now decipher their words and gain access to secrets of their civilization.
10 Mastery Points: Exalted Purification - You've become honored among the Exalted. You can now challenge their Champion each day and unlock their finest treasures within the Golden City.
12 Mastery Points: Wyvern Defiance - The Exalted have taught you to stand in defiance of wyverns. They can no longer knock you down with their wing buffets.

Itzel Lore
1 Mastery Point: Itzel Language - The spry Itzel speak a very different dialect from the hylek of old Tyria. Through trial and error you learn to communicate, marking the first steps towards earning their trust. This opens up vendors and trade with the Itzel.
2 Mastery Points: Itzel Writings - You discover the glyphs and pictographs you've seen around the Heart of Maguuma are the Itzel tribe's written language. With practice and conversations, you've learned to decipher them and discover the hidden treasures they conceal.
6 Mastery Points: Itzel Herbicides - The Itzel have taught you to use the various extracts around Maguuma to create poisons. These poisons allow you to deal bonus damage against poisoned or burning Mordrem.
7 Mastery Points: Itzel Leadership - Through careful study of the Itzel language and society, you've earned the right to challenge their champion and claim rewards in Verdant Brink.
10 Mastery Points: Itzel Hunting - Through dedicated teaching, the Itzel train you how to take special trophies from foes in Maguuma, unlocking rare collections.
13 Mastery Points: Itzel Stalking - The Itzel teach you how to operate their harpoon cannons scattered throughout Maguuma, letting you pull wyverns down to your level to hunt.

Nuhoch Lore
1 Mastery Point: Nuhoch Language - The brutish Nuhoch tribe's language is a difficult series of tones, but with some practice you learn to communicate. You are able to trade and converse with the bullish Nuhoch tribe members now.
3 Mastery Points: Nuhoch Proving - The Nuhoch tribe give gifts based on trials of strength. Unlocking the mastery of proving gives you the right to enter the trials.
5 Mastery Points: Nuhoch Energies - The Nuhoch tribe teach you the ways of surviving chak energy. By absorbing a powerful chak energy discharge, you're available to create orbs that you and others with this ability can use to break through impenetrable champion chak energy shields.
7 Mastery Points: Nuhoch Alchemy - Masterful fighters rely not only on brute strength, but also tactics. The Nuhoch train you to remove the chak's powerful acid with your healing skill.
10 Mastery Points: Nuhoch Trail Signs - Master the art of reading Nuhoch trail signs, allowing you to gater information in the field. The Nuhoch trail signs reveal that which was hidden before.

Mushroom Lore
1 Mastery Point: Bouncing Mushrooms - Learn how to land precisely and use the bouncing mushrooms found around the Hearts of Maguuma to get to places previously impossible to reach.
3 Mastery Points: Blazing Speed Mushrooms - With stomach training, you can ingest the speed-increasing mushrooms found scatted in the Heart of Maguuma. Run at blazing speeds with the help of nature!
5 Mastery Points: Adrenal Mushrooms - Learning to eat the mushrooms tweaks your adrenal glands, giving you a surge of adrenaline and instantly refreshing your skills.
7 Mastery Points: Recovery Mushrooms - Gain the ability to consume these multifaceted healing mushrooms, healing you instantly and curing some conditions.
10 Mastery Points: Master Forager - With training, you've learned to spot the mushrooms in the Heart of Maguuma even faster. They're now more visible on your map.
13 Mastery Points: Massive Bouncing Mushrooms - After much practice and core strength training, you can use massive bouncing mushrooms to fly even further through the air.

Pact Tyria
Fractal Attunement Mastery
1 Mastery Point: Follows Advice - Details are obscured by the Mists
2 Mastery Points: Agony Channeler - Details are obscured by the Mists
3 Mastery Points: Mistlock Singularities - Details are obscured by the Mists
5 Mastery Points: Recursive Resourcing - Details are obscured by the Mists
8 Mastery Points: Essential Singularities - Details are obscured by the Mists
10 Mastery Points: Hyperactive Singularities - Details are obscured by the Mists

Legendary Precusor Crafting Guide
1 Mastery Point: Revered Antiquarian - Grants Access to the First Tier of Precursor Collections
4 Mastery Points: Magister of Legends - Contributes to the Second Tier of Precursor Collections
5 Mastery Points: Historian of the Armaments - Contributes to the Third Tier of Precursor Collections
10 Mastery Points: Scholar of Maguuma's Secrets - Grants acces to Heart of Maguuma Precursor Collections

So basically the 'Lore' ones are what other MMO's usually call reputations.
The main difference being that since mastery points can be gained anywhere you don't have to specifically grind specific events/materials to increase a specific 'reputation', i'd guess.

Some of those masteries are either poorly worded since they are placeholder, or they just seem pointless ( Gliding 10, Mushroom 10)

Some of them seem to thread in quite dangerous territory, from fueling bad attitude from elistist jerks, to making some encounters far too easy once the majority of players will have them. ( Exalted 12, Itzel 6, Nuoch 7-10, Mushroom 5-7 used in fights )

Itzel 13 is an interesting one and raises even more questions :p

Tiered precursor crafting seems weird too.

Other than that Revenant really looks cool, Stronghold too, I can see myself playing quite a bit of that.
I was surprised about your character talking in the story bits, it's nice to have it back, but personally i'm a bit on the fence with it, I loved it with my Asura, but when playing my Human character .... not so much as it didn't fit the way I imagined my character and it really took away from any aspect of roleplaying.
But I must say I really liked the human female voice in the demo, and considering that I was already starting considering giving my Necro a name and sex change ...... xD

I'm saving all my PvP Potions for HoT, so I best be able to splurge on a whole bunch of Mastery points at once. That would be grand.
I took your advice and so far I have over 50 potions and will continue to do my daily through pvp till game comes out.

Mastery points are PvE progression, doubt you'd get mastery points from pvp reward tracks but skill points are being replaced with mastery points for level 80s so you never know I guess.

Thanks for reading it. What we got to play of Heart of Thorns was solid, but the Revenant and Stronghold were my highlights.
It was a great read. Look forward to your GW2 coverage. Covering PaxEast?

I wonder if there will be new worldbosses coming with HOT ?

Currently i am hoping for 2 new ones.

One designed so regular pug groups can beat it(but not too easily ) .

The other one Should be triple wurm levels of hard . perhaps something that you have to chase all over the map and requires diferent groups with each a different mastery totake down specific parts of the boss.
Lore Masteries seem to unlock some kind of Champion for you to defeat, hope this is a 1 on 1 fight like liadri.

The videos I've seen about HoT, people are saying the Wyvern fight that is being shown is the "easy" mode version and there will be more difficult Wyvern fights further in the jungle.

There is still the "challenging group content" that they haven't announce yet as well.

Dragons in WvW.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2xup6h/angryjoe_gw2_heart_of_thorns_interview/

From the comments about what was said in the video. 2 Anet Devs reply.
[–]gordianus1The White Wolf 46 points 9 hours ago
Joe-"crazy enough is getting a dragon to fight on your side in WvW"
Colin- "yes it is"
So um....is it crazy?
[–]DevonCarver 98 points 9 hours ago
That is pretty crazy.
[–]ArenaKeenan 75 points 9 hours ago*
But is it crazy?
Edit: Joking, folks. I'd defer to Devon for what is or is not crazy. And he says it's crazy. :p

Minamu

I'm gonna spend my excess skill points on converting them into money, I don't want to unlock all masteries five minutes into the expansion :/

Quenk

I'm gonna spend my excess skill points on converting them into money, I don't want to unlock all masteries five minutes into the expansion :/

I was under the impression that existing excess skill points won't go towards gaining masteries. Instead, the acquisition of skill points on level up past 80 would be replaced by gaining mastery points.

OrigiNull

Okay, so question time.... I'm torn on a couple of things and wanted some external input:

I have two 80s - a necro and guardian - I enjoy the necro more but am aware they are more of a selfish class vs the gardian, thoughts on which I should 'main'

Which leads into next question, both have full exotic gear, should I go for a legendary, exotic weapon or exotic armor first?

I will only be able to really deck out one of them.... or are all these questions moot and I should just save my mats for HoT?

Levyne

Banned
Okay, so question time.... I'm torn on a couple of things and wanted some external input:

I have two 80s - a necro and guardian - I enjoy the necro more but am aware they are more of a selfish class vs the gardian, thoughts on which I should 'main'

Which leads into next question, both have full exotic gear, should I go for a legendary, exotic weapon or exotic armor first?

I will only be able to really deck out one of them.... or are all these questions moot and I should just save my mats for HoT?

I'm assuming this is for PVE.

Necro is a kinda stigmatized class for pve, but whatever. I've done most all the hardest dungeon paths with a necro in the party. There are 3 I semi-regularly dungeon with. That said, I would say that a guardian generally is a great anchor for a party, if that makes sense. I would be more willing to join a pug with 3 guards then 3 necros, even though I know that's not exactly fair. I don't really play a loved class either by the puggles (ranger), but it's cool to play something that you don't see a lot of other people playing.

When you say exotic in the second part, I assume you mean ascended. I would probably get ascended weapons first since you only need 2-3ish of them until you want to complete your class's full weapon set. Comparatively, getting a full armor set or a legendary is much more time consuming and costly.

As for saving mats, eh, seems like a popular thing to do. That's up to you. I don't plan to obsess on hoarding stuff to get new shinies asap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom