• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Don't know if folks care, but Sodapoppin (well known streamer, pulls a pretty constant 10k+) has indicated he's moving to GW2 as his primary MMO. Might bring in a surprising number of players via the "pewdiepie effect".

Also: I'm not terribly active, but I'd enjoy an invite. Farlous is my main.

right before heart of thorns, oh boy!

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pax-east-is-coming/

Guild Wars 2 is 75% off March 6–8

On March 6–8, we’re offering both the Guild Wars 2 Digital Heroic Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition for 75% off* to celebrate our WTS Finals and the playable demo of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns at PAX East! Already a Guild Wars 2 player? Tell your friends so they can get ready for Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns by picking up this award-winning MMO that has captivated millions of gamers worldwide and experience a constantly evolving fantasy world where their actions make a difference.

Anno

Hey Guild Wars 2gaf, I'm thinking about picking this up soon, was hoping to know if there would be peeps that would like to suffer the early stuff with me to help my ass out and stuff.

I like long walks on the beach, candle light dinners, frisky women, and hacking and slashing things. Maybe even shooting giant fireballs from my hand. I also have a mic. = D

Sure. Just join up with GAFGuild and I'm confident you'll always have people to talk to, help you and play along. And now that there's this sale I'm sure there will be a higher than usual level of brand new people anyway. GW2 is great in how it allows people of any level to really enjoy all levels of content, so even veterans and higher level characters frequently hang around low level zones.

Retro

I might do a little housekeeping to clear some more room in the guild, we're at 483 last time I looked and the last time the game was on sale we gained well over 20 people.

Edit: Down to 450, and we're now down to folks who haven't played in the last two months. We've never shaved quite that close before, and since they confirmed that 500 members is a technical limit, that's.... so not good for Heart of Thorns population boom. We're going to have to use GAFO again, I think.

Edit 2: Almost all officers are officers in GAFO or have invites just in case (A few are at the 5-guild cap, no worries though). In case anyone is curious, we had 287 members in GAFO, so at one point the GAF Community was 787 members strong. Yikes. I culled everyone who was "Unknown" as their last played date, which extends over a year. Plenty of room in GAFO now.

nataku

That crystal nomad outfit makes no sense to me. They couldn't bother to just let the charr horns clip through, but they took their time to add crystals and ornaments to the tail.

Wanderer5

That crystal nomad outfit makes no sense to me. They couldn't bother to just let the charr horns clip through, but they took their time to add crystals and ornaments to the tail.

The charr version is kind of lol worthy, which is a shame cause I like the tail stuff. I still wish they make the outfit a bit shorter waist down on charr at least.

Zeroth

DEL-X99 is my new favorite thing ever.

A few highlights:

DEL-X99: Eink, I-saw-you-today-outside-the-lab. Please-use-more-discretion-when-testing-your-cloth-of-invisibility. Fha
Krewe Member Eink: I guess my cloth of invisibility still needs more work. Thank goodness it wasn't cold out.

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

DEL-X99: Ouch.

tumblr_m8wyfqtLm81rxhu0oo1_500.gif

You guys have to see it live though. Every time it goes off to deliver a message it whistles a super cute sound.

Retro

I can't believe they still have the 500 member linit

Angry Joe actually asked about that in his interview, it's supposedly a technical limitation. Colin did hint at some way for multiple guilds to feel more like a single community, so... maybe guild alliances or something is in the works?

I am already digital deluxe, what is heroic

Heroic is just the base game, the Digital Deluxe is the 'better' version. At launch, there was a regular game that only had the Hero's Band and headstart access, they eventually phased that out.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Heroic is just the base game, the Digital Deluxe is the 'better' version. At launch, there was a regular game that only had the Hero's Band and headstart access, they eventually phased that out.

Isn't that digital deluxe - the one that has hero's band and golem for every new char?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I never got the free mithril box nor the legacy armor :(

I did get mistfire wolf, rytlock, chalice and tome

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How's the game for casuals? I played WoW hardcore for years and I don't want to put in that sort of commitment again. Is there a LFR equivalent? And is this all I'd need to buy? £9 seems like a good price.

Retro

How's the game for casuals? I played WoW hardcore for years and I don't want to put in that sort of commitment again. Is there a LFR equivalent? And is this all I'd need to buy? £9 seems like a good price.

Quite casual, but more to the point it respects your time. There's very few time sinks or grinds (and the few that there are, namely Ascended gear and Legendary weapons, are optional and/or will be alleviated by the expansion). There's no gear treadmill either; once you're in exotic-tier equipment you're pretty much done, with progression based on cosmetics and fun (that is, they're anyways adding something different and new to do).

There is a LFG system (no raids, all of the large fights are open world), but if you're in the GAF guild you can usually get a group for just about anything really quick. Even if you're in Europe, I'd advise rolling on a North American server (most players who do report little to no latency, your millage may vary) so you can play with us.

And yes, the initial purchase is all you need, there is an expansion off in the future but there's no date or price for it yet. There's also an in-game cash shop, but it's all cosmetic or convenience items, so its up to you if you want to spend more (you can also convert gold to the cash shop currency and never spend a dime).

Edit: No subscription fee either, of course.

Levyne

Banned

It's a very casual game.

There aren't any raids, really. There are dungeons, many easy, some hard. There is an LFG tool for finding groups but it is not some sort of automated queueing system like I think WoW has (I'm unfamiliar). It gives a hand written comment and the current party members looking to do a dungeon. For instance, here's the current listings for the dungeon "Honor of the Waves"

So you choose whether you want to join the "path 2" group with the thieves and war/guard, or join the story group, or start your own.

The horizontal nature of the gear makes it pretty casual too. It is remarkably easy to get "exotic" gear, and you don't have to run something multiple times to keep up with the Joneses.

Ashodin

Heads up, my playtime will be less now because of this

lFTrJzM.gif

So you won't be seeing much of me as I'm bunkering down for hard work!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Quite casual, but more to the point it respects your time. There's very few time sinks or grinds (and the few that there are, namely Ascended gear and Legendary weapons, are optional and/or will be alleviated by the expansion). There's no gear treadmill either; once you're in exotic-tier equipment you're pretty much done, with progression based on cosmetics and fun (that is, they're anyways adding something different and new to do).

There is a LFG system (no raids, all of the large fights are open world), but if you're in the GAF guild you can usually get a group for just about anything really quick. Even if you're in Europe, I'd advise rolling on a North American server (most players who do report little to no latency, your millage may vary) so you can play with us.

And yes, the initial purchase is all you need, there is an expansion off in the future but there's no date or price for it yet. There's also an in-game cash shop, but it's all cosmetic or convenience items, so its up to you if you want to spend more (you can also convert gold to the cash shop currency and never spend a dime).

Edit: No subscription fee either, of course.

It's a very casual game.

There aren't any raids, really. There are dungeons, many easy, some hard. There is an LFG tool for finding groups but it is not some sort of automated queueing system like I think WoW has (I'm unfamiliar). It gives a hand written comment and the current party members looking to do a dungeon. For instance, here's the current listings for the dungeon "Honor of the Waves"

So you choose whether you want to join the "path 2" group with the thieves and war/guard, or join the story group, or start your own.

The horizontal nature of the gear makes it pretty casual too. It is remarkably easy to get "exotic" gear, and you don't have to run something multiple times to keep up with the Joneses.

Thanks for the input guys. How's the performance? It seems pretty bad from what I've seen in videos, with people not managing to stick at 60fps locked which is very important to me, although they were maxed out, and I have no problems lowering some details to achieve the holy grail. Oh and one more thing, how's the PvP? I was High Warlord in WoW so you could say I enjoyed PvP, especially old school AV which was a more larger scale BG. I wish I'd bought this when it was on sale last time as it was cheaper, but at £9 I think I'll give it a punt.

hythloday

I'll echo the "great for casuals" sentiments. The game's very forgiving to those who stop playing for a bit and pick it up later. There's not really any reputation/gear grind to miss out on. You can just log in and do what you want.

The most "catching up" is with the Living Story missions, and even those are optional (for storytime fun and also for achievements/rewards if they're something you want). The episodes are also unlocked simply by logging in anytime the current episode is live (a 2-week period), so even if you aren't actively playing you can unlock all the story content by logging in once every two weeks. Easy peasy. If you do happen to miss an episode, it's like 200 gems to unlock it.

Could I get a guild invite? Name is GoldenChicken.6210

I stopped playing a little after the first Halloween event, but with the expansion on the horizon I'm starting to play again. Its almost like a new game now. I'll probably level an alt to try to get acclimated to things again. Its funny I had every class at level 20ish (except for my 80 main) and I when I log back in they all have birthdays presents to raise their level to 20 :/

Any tips for making gold that don't include playing the trading post? I had an okay amount when I quit, 25g, but apparently that's nothing now.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Sod it, downloading the client now, I'll give it a punt tomorrow when the deal kicks in.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks for the input guys. How's the performance? It seems pretty bad from what I've seen in videos, with people not managing to stick at 60fps locked which is very important to me, although they were maxed out, and I have no problems lowering some details to achieve the holy grail. Oh and one more thing, how's the PvP? I was High Warlord in WoW so you could say I enjoyed PvP, especially old school AV which was a more larger scale BG. I wish I'd bought this when it was on sale last time as it was cheaper, but at £9 I think I'll give it a punt.

Very cpu intensive. I doubt many people at all maintain 60fps or close to it at the large meta events with tons of people. Turning down the number of characters you see on screen helps this a ton. I hardly ever have it above medium. That said, I generally have no problem maintaining 60fps in story instances or dungeons or moderately populated events or pvp even with some downsampling and some AA tweaks. It's the type of game where I would imagine most people are bound by their CPU, and not their GPU unless they are running something older.

Edit: The most intensive setting are probably (going from memory here)

Number of Character Models (basically the limit before a large number of players end up culling)
Shadows (From Ultra to High or Medium)
Reflections (From All to Terrain and Sky)

Thorgal

Thorgal stahp with the 4k screens. I can't take it. Have any more?

i usually make a few a day but don't always post them because either i don't like them or they are not that interesting.

a bit of luck is also involved
like that shot was made by me ramming my screenshot key while pushing my 1-5 keys and
getting lucky with the timing.

When the new camera options come out ill post as many shots as you like of wathever you want though .

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Very cpu intensive. I doubt many people at all maintain 60fps or close to it at the large meta events with tons of people. Turning down the number of characters you see on screen helps this a ton. I hardly ever have it above medium. That said, I generally have no problem maintaining 60fps in story instances or dungeons or moderately populated events or pvp even with some downsampling and some AA tweaks. It's the type of game where I would imagine most people are bound by their CPU, and not their GPU unless they are running something older.

Edit: The most intensive setting are probably (going from memory here)

Number of Character Models (basically the limit before a large number of players end up culling)
Shadows (From Ultra to High or Medium)
Reflections (From All to Terrain and Sky)

Thanks for that, so 60fps should be possible in most situations. I'm running i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz & GTX 970.

Retro

Thanks for that, so 60fps should be possible in most situations. I'm running i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz & GTX 970.

Regardless of hardware, it's an MMO, and any time you have 50-100 people milling around in the same area with spell effects going off, enemies attacking, etc., you're gonna get FPS drops. When you're not around that many people (which is going to be most of the time, though the more you WvW the more you're going to see big blobs of players), you'll be fine on max settings.

I thought all accounts get them regardless of status?

Nope, the Mithril Box and free armor was added in after launch, when they dropped the Basic edition and just gave everyone the Heroic. If you purchased the game before then, regardless of edition, you didn't get either of those.

I just logged in for the first time in at least two years. Giving myself a crash corse refresher but it's kind of daunting. Lots changed

I'm a level 80 guardian and I never finished the main story line. Current quest is Kill the Elder Dragon Zaitan. IIRC I stopped playing because I couldn't find a group to help me.

Gawd I feel like such a noob.

KINGofCRASH.1678 is my account name.

Part of me thinks I should just make a new character and start fresh, that way I can re-familiarize myself with everything and not be stabbing in the dark like I am now.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So the big MMO dilemma, do I go with the sexy caster or brutish mele.

EDIT: Just saw a guy playing a male rat that reminded me of the Gnome from WoW, might have to go that.

Retro

I just logged in for the first time in at least two years. Giving myself a crash corse refresher but it's kind of daunting. Lots changed

I'm a level 80 guardian and I never finished the main story line. Current quest is Kill the Elder Dragon Zaitan. IIRC I stopped playing because I couldn't find a group to help me.

Gawd I feel like such a noob.

KINGofCRASH.1678 is my account name.

Part of me thinks I should just make a new character and start fresh, that way I can re-familiarize myself with everything and not be stabbing in the dark like I am now.

A new character will give you an opportunity to experience the New Player Experience, for better or for worse (mostly better). Things are explained a little more clearly, there's an in-game compass to direct you towards objectives, you get pretty decent rewards as you level and the first 15 levels are so go by much faster... but the way traits and skills are handed out is a bit plodding (especially traits, which must be individually unlocked by completing events or special objectives; you can also just buy them from a trainer). It's a bit of a mixed bag, mostly good and likely to get better since the trait unlocks are changing for Heart of Thorns.

That said, if your Guardian is geared and you don't object to the way it plays, you can always head to a lowbie zone and figure things out (and still get rewards). And of course, there's always guild chat (which should be available next time you log in since I just invited you, just remember to represent).

So the big MMO dilemma, do I go with the sexy caster or brutish mele.

EDIT: Just saw a guy playing a make rat that reminded me of the Gnome from WoW, might have to go that.

Asurans are not rats. /grumble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom