• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emitan

I'm not used to being poor

91088a2b9c.jpg

Callunah

Neo Member
I'm not used to being poor

yeah.. I hate this part .. starting over on a new account... now to decide how much of your current wealth/collections to ship over.. or will this account be forced to start its new life on its own and earn its own "stuff". LOL

I'm at PAX! The anet booth is awesome although I didn't get to play the demo today. Not sure if I want to if there's gonna be a bunch of redditors judging me over the twitch channel :p. Levyne just got here!! Weeeee pictures to come

Retro

I'll probably just skip this, not really a fan of jp!

The one in Silverwastes isn't terribly difficult, it's just long (Spans the entire map, weaving under, above and through the battlefield) and has a really tricky "Door maze" at the end where you have to go through the right skritt holes to advance or it teleports you back a bit.

If you'd like somebody to go through with, I'm pretty sure I remember where all the twists and turns are at. And it's pretty damn cool how massive of a cave system they have under the map.

if i read it right , yes , thats all .

I only hope they don't only do na primetime runs .

They had a pretty wide variety of times when we tested Edge of the Mists, and before launch the Beta Weekend Events were... well, whole weekends.

HOLY SHIT, that OP is legendary. I laughed my ass off. If I was not on TC I would come on over to your server.

You can still join the GAFGuild, TC is an NA server.

I'm at PAX! The anet booth is awesome although I didn't get to play the demo today. Not sure if I want to if there's gonna be a bunch of redditors judging me over the twitch channel :p. Levyne just got here!! Weeeee pictures to come

Looking forward to it, have fun you crazy kids.

Manoko

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find the information in the OT.

Is there a EU Gaf guild by any chance ?

Manoko

There was at launch but not anymore.

You can come play on US servers without any issues though, many of us do.

Oh really ? I thought the game was region-locked.
Isn't the latency too much, given the very dynamic combat of the game (asking for PvP in particular) ?

Retro

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't find the information in the OT.

Is there a EU Gaf guild by any chance ?

As Morokh mentioned, there was one at launch but the two people who made a fuss about having a separate EU chapter (without any input from the rest of us) disappeared and left everyone hanging. We've been collecting donations to help pay for EU players to transfer over to NA ever since.

We have players from all over the world, from Europe to Australia and points in between. Very few major latency / lag issues are reported.

Oh really ? I thought the game was region-locked.
Isn't the latency too much, given the very dynamic combat of the game (asking for PvP in particular) ?

The only region that's locked is China (for obvious reasons); if you bought the game you can pick if you want to be on an EU or NA server and can pay to transfer between the two if you'd like. They're separate data centers, so unfortunately players from one can't play with the other (though they can join guilds and chat). We generally encourage people to roll on an NA server so everyone can play together.

We have a lot of EU players who will probably chime in with their experiences, but they're generally very positive with regard to latency issues.

Manoko

As Morokh mentioned, there was one at launch but the two people who made a fuss about having a separate EU chapter (without any input from the rest of us) disappeared and left everyone hanging. We've been collecting donations to help pay for EU players to transfer over to NA ever since.

We have players from all over the world, from Europe to Australia and points in between. Very few major latency / lag issues are reported.

Awesome.

That transfer that you're talking about, do I need to pay anything if I delete all my characters ? (Played a few days/weeks when the game launched, but decided to start over now that the game changed quite a bit).

Retro

Awesome.

That transfer that you're talking about, do I need to pay anything if I delete all my characters ? (Played a few days/weeks when the game launched, but decided to start over now that the game changed quite a bit).

Nope, deleting all of your characters allows you to select your home server again, so if you want to do that you're more than able to do so. Any gold / crafting material / unlocks you had will also remain available to your new characters, and their names will be reserved for 24 hours. New Characters do fall under the "New Player Experience" though, so you'll have to go through the trait / skill unlock process with them.

Thorgal

Awesome.

If you delete all your characters you can choose a new server for free .

If you want to keep your characters you have to pay .

Just make sure that if there is anything you want to keep from the old ones you store them inside your bank as that will tranfer with you for free .

Manoko

Thanks guys for the advice.

I just transfered, but is there a way for me to know the latency directly from the game interface ?
I mean, I tried searching the options, or keeping my mouse cursor at different parts of the HUD to try and find it, but with no luck.

I just want to make sure it's not too high.

Looking forward to seeing you guys on the server sooner or later. I've just bought the game and am now about 20% into the download. (I'll continue downloading later.)

(If anyone cares, the display name is Noinoi.3652)

Manoko

Found a way to check my latency.
~150ms ...

What do you guys think ? Isn't that a bit too much ? Or will I be fine ?

My friend got 2 accounts just for Laurels login reward...would have love to get another account but back up PC died, would have been dual boxing at the world bosses..

Anno

Unless you want to be super hardcore into PvP that probably doesn't matter at all. Nothing is too twitchy that 150 will wreck it.

Retro

Thanks guys for the advice.

I just transfered, but is there a way for me to know the latency directly from the game interface ?
I mean, I tried searching the options, or keeping my mouse cursor at different parts of the HUD to try and find it, but with no luck.

I just want to make sure it's not too high.

Nothing in game, but there is this; https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/players/How-to-check-ping-in-game

Edit: 150ms is fine for just about everything. Keep in mind that you absolutely will to have significant skill lag and FPS drops any time you get into a huge crowd of players. That's true for everyone, no matter where they live, simply because 150 people + enemies + spell effects + everything else going on in the game all at once is always going to create problems. There are graphical settings you can change to help a bit, just letting you know that these kind of things will happen just by the nature of it being an MMO where lots of people play together in close proximity. 95% of the time you shouldn't have a problem, it's mostly big world bosses or WvW fights.

Nice to see non-OT threads for Gw2 continuing to dial down the outright hostility that used to be basically every other post.

The night is still young, though I'd like to believe that the people who always showed up with an axe to grind for whatever reason, have grown up a bit and realized what a waste of time and energy it is making sure nobody has fun playing a game they don't like without everyone knowing about it.

Virdix

Hey guys, just started playing again, was hoping to get invited to the GAF guild.

Arkaism.1205

Im a level 51 Guardian on Tarnished coast any thing i should know besides whats in the OT? I have 18% map completion been working on my weaponsmithing and having a blast in EotM.

Manoko

B]Edit:[/B] 150ms is fine for just about everything. Keep in mind that you absolutely will to have significant skill lag and FPS drops any time you get into a huge crowd of players. That's true for everyone, no matter where they live, simply because 150 people + enemies + spell effects + everything else going on in the game all at once is always going to create problems. There are graphical settings you can change to help a bit, just letting you know that these kind of things will happen just by the nature of it being an MMO where lots of people play together in close proximity. 95% of the time you shouldn't have a problem, it's mostly big world bosses or WvW fights.

Alright, I think I'll try playing onto the server then.
On my way to fully read the OT and know who I need to contact to get invited, will create my new main character later today.

Thanks again for the help, I hope 150ms won't be too noticeable.

Zeroth

Hey guys, just started playing again, was hoping to get invited to the GAF guild.

Arkaism.1205

Im a level 51 Guardian on Tarnished coast any thing i should know besides whats in the OT? I have 18% map completion been working on my weaponsmithing and having a blast in EotM.

Gotcha. Just log on a character, press "G", then click on "Accept" and then "Represent"!

Retro

Alright, I think I'll try playing onto the server then.
On my way to fully read the OT and know who I need to contact to get invited, will create my new main character later today.

You can post a character name or your account name (it's the name.#### thing) in the OT and someone will get you pretty quickly.

If some of the GAF guild regulars want to keep an eye on this thread, I'm sure there will be more questions that need answers.

PSA: Guild Wars 2 on sale for $10

Yeah I'm gonna be asking a lot of super noob questions here. I'm at work right now so I'm just going by memory right now, I'll be on tonight.

I need to do the Arah dungeon first in order to complete the main story apparently. Should I just use the LFG tool for that?

Like I just found out you can craft bigger bags. What. I've never crafted anything. I think I have 4 or 5 of the starter leather bags, 10 slots each or something. I use salvage kits and deposit materials a lot so I don't really run out of space, though I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have more room.

I have 16 Black Lion chests, I need to buy the keys from the trading post to open them, right? Is that worth it?

I have 10 gold. That's... something, right? I'm level 80, but some of my gear is still level 65-75. Should I buy some upgrades from the trading post? Or will I acquire some by doing PvE stuff?

Also, the wardrobe stuff is completely new to me. Are armor/weapon skins just transmogs for your items?

Do I seriously need to spend real money to get gems to buy a bigger bank?

I'm sure I will have more noob questions later for you to all laugh at :p

Ashodin

I need to do the Arah dungeon first in order to complete the main story apparently. Should I just use the LFG tool for that?

You can. It's super easy so don't feel like it's an endgame dungeon (the other explorable wings are long and tough)

Retro

On my phone, please forgive any formatting errors.

Yeah I'm gonna be asking a lot of super noob questions here. I'm at work right now so I'm just going by memory right now, I'll be on tonight.

Like I just found out you can craft bigger bags. What. I've never crafted anything. I think I have 4 or 5 of the starter leather bags, 10 slots each or something. I use salvage kits and deposit materials a lot so I don't really run out of space, though I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have more room.

I have 16 Black Lion chests, I need to buy the keys from the trading post to open them, right? Is that worth it?

I have 10 gold. That's... something, right? I'm level 80, but some of my gear is still level 65-75. Should I buy some upgrades from the trading post? Or will I acquire some by doing PvE stuff?

Also, the wardrobe stuff is completely new to me. Are armor/weapon skins just transmogs for your items?

I'm sure I will have more noob questions later for you to all laugh at :p

You can use LFG for Arah story, but I'd check guild chat first as some people are usually willing to go.

You can craft bigger bags with Armorsmith, leatherwork and tailoring, FYI.

Black lion keys need to be purchased, though they're often given out for map completion or finishing personal story chapters. They aren't usually worth opening as it's 100% gambling, Keys do go on sale sometimes and that's usually the only time I buy any.

You'll get 80 gear just playing, hit up world events for a guaranteed Rare-quality item.

The wardrobe uses transmutation charges, yes. You can get 6 fairly quick by 100% exploring the 5 racial capitals and Lion's Arch.

Bank slots are purchased with gems, yeah, but with the wardrobe and materials storage, you can probably get by with one unless you're a hoarder like me. You can always create a mule character as well.

Darn you, Retro. I took time to write answers, so I am posting it anyway.

You can use the LFG or try asking in Guild Chat to see if anyone else needs to do the dungeon.

Crafting bags is okay, but check what the materials cost versus buying bags on the trading post someone else made. The Runes of Holding are usually the biggest cost in crafting bags.

There are other methods for getting bags, like saving Candy Corn or Fractal Relics, but that takes a little more work. There are also a couple of 20 slot bags rewarded for completing certain collections, but those can take a bit of a time investment too.

Keys are on the Gem Store, and they are a complete rip-off 99.99% of the time.

I would start with getting a full set of level 80 Masterwork (green) gear at least from the trading post. Then you can work saving Dungeon Tokens, Karma, and Badges of Honor to purchase exotic armor and weapons.

A lot more detail can be gone into about getting Ascended (pink) trinkets from doing guild missions for Commendations, daily log-ins for Laurels, and fractals for Pristine Relics.

Yep. Takes one transmutation charge for each item you change the appearance of.

That or save gold to convert into gems.

Manoko

If I post my account name, and you invite me through this system, will every character I create be in the guild automatically from now on ?

I am not sure yet which class I want to pick, so I will likely reroll many times before deciding on a main to focus on. If it indeed works like this, I can give you my account name already and that would make things easier !

Anno

If I post my account name, and you invite me through this system, will every character I create be in the guild automatically from now on ?

I am not sure yet which class I want to pick, so I will likely reroll many times before deciding on a main to focus on. If it indeed works like this, I can give you my account name already and that would make things easier !

Yep, the whole account is invited not just an individual character.

Manoko

Got my invite, thanks again.

A question though, do you guys most of the time interact via Mumble, I mean even when not doing things as a group ?

English isn't my native language, but if you'd bear with my accent for a while, I'd probably have a better experience of the game if I can be part of that too.

Just asking.

Zeroth

Got my invite, thanks again.

A question though, do you guys most of the time interact via Mumble, I mean even when not doing things as a group ?

English isn't my native language, but if you'd bear with my accent for a while, I'd probably have a better experience of the game if I can be part of that too.

Just asking.

We only ever use mumble during guild missions on Saturday nights and Sunday evenings, and even then, you can just sit there and listen, no need to speak. Most of the time we just use guild chat anyway!

Just bought it on the sale today. Not the biggest MMO whore but GW2 always intrigued me, so what better time? Sorry for noob questions.

Does world server really matter, unless you're doing heavy WvW? America Northwest is my region.

Excellent OP, btw, haha.

Zeroth

Just bought it on the sale today. Not the biggest MMO whore but GW2 always intrigued me, so what better time? Sorry for noob questions.

Does world server really matter, unless you're doing heavy WvW? America Northwest is my region.

Excellent OP, btw, haha.

It only matters if you plan to do WvW, yes, although it's important to check the region of the server you choose, since NA and EU are separate.

Moondrop

Banned
Is the WvW great on Stormbullf Isle ?
Stormbluff Isle aka SBI is not one of the "top tier" servers, but those are an intense play style and community that's not for everyone. I left SBI long ago because I wanted a certain kind of WvW action that it could no longer offer me. However there's still plenty of general WvW on SBI, and as a new player it should give you a complete picture of the game mode.

Manoko

Ehh, you'll find plenty of activity on WvW reset days (Fridays) and on the weekend, but during the week we tend to die down. Tournaments are pretty active though

Stormbluff Isle aka SBI is not one of the "top tier" servers, but those are an intense play style and community that's not for everyone. I left SBI long ago because I wanted a certain kind of WvW action that it could no longer offer me. However there's still plenty of general WvW on SBI, and as a new player it should give you a complete picture of the game mode.

I see.

I don't plan on being competitive, but I guess I would want to be able to try (in good conditions) everything the game has to offer at some point (PvE and PvP-wise).

If Stormbluff Isle allows that, I'm all for it. :)

Callunah

Neo Member
Just a heads up.. I am transferring off of SBI tonight for a better (Less toxic) wvw environment. Ill still be around for all the PvE fun.. but WvW is a drag on SBI lately and its no good for my blood lust!

Manoko

Just a heads up.. I am transferring off of SBI tonight for a better (Less toxic) wvw environment. Ill still be around for all the PvE fun.. but WvW is a drag on SBI lately and its no good for my blood lust!

Can you elaborate on why you decided to leave ?
I'm new to the game, and I believe PvP will be what I would do most at high level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom