• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Arken, Levyne and Appletoasty are sitting in a hallway somewhere in Boston calling me on speakerphone, demanding I mail them sushi.

Crazy drunk PAXers.

Can you elaborate on why you decided to leave ?
I'm new to the game, and I believe PvP will be what I would do most at high level.

I can't speak for Callunah's reasons, but for me it has to do with our recent fights. SBI is in Tier 3 out of 8, so more towards the top but not up there. Tier 3 is sort of the cut-off point between the ultra competitive servers in Tier 1 and 2 and the still competitive-but-not-hardcore-about-it middle ones.

The problem lately is that Tier 2 servers keep getting bumped down into Tier 3 as they jockey for position, so the end result is usually two middle-tier servers getting curbstomped by one ultra-competitive one. The match-up that ends tonight, for example, has Sea of Sorrows at 375k points while Northern Shiverpeaks and SBI are at 143 and 118k points, respectively.

When we've faced NSP in the past, it's generally considered a pretty even match-up and everyone has fun and it's a usually a close match. I've seen people on Reddit say "Man, that was a great fight, you guys really made us work for it", that sort of thing... but when it's a major shut out like this, it's just not fun. It gets old having your entire map get flipped instantly because the higher tiers have more people, better coverage (i.e. they have people in all time zones to keep things defended, whereas after a certain point most of SBI goes to bed) and are used to more cutthroat tactics. It's not NFL vs. Pee-wee football levels of damage, but it still gets old really quick fighting for territory only to have it flip without a fight overnight. That, understandably, leads to a lot of irritated people frustrated that they're getting donged on.

At least, that's what my problem with WvW lately has been, as someone who likes to play it for a few hours here and there when it's not a drastic shut out like that. It isn't my main focus in the game but I do enjoy it quite a bit when I'm in the mood. Callunah plays it a whole heck of a lot more so she can give a better answer as to the politics and such going on with all the various guilds.

Asking for a guild invite again, GoldenChicken.6210 , please :)

Looks like you're in now, welcome!

Manoko

What does two players being on the same server allow that being on the same region (but different servers I mean) don't ?

Same question for different regions (I expect it would allow only guild chat right ?).

Edit: Thank you Retro for the explanation by the way.

Retro

What does two players being on the same server allow that being on the same region (but different servers I mean) don't ?

Same question for different regions (I expect it would allow only guild chat right ?).

If I understand what you're asking; being on the same server only applies to World vs. World. Otherwise, you can do everything else together as long as you're in the same region.

If you're in a different region than someone else, all you can really do is chat. I *think* you can send mail, but I've never tried it.

Manoko

If I understand what you're asking; being on the same server only applies to World vs. World. Otherwise, you can do everything else together as long as you're in the same region.

If you're in a different region than someone else, all you can really do is chat. I *think* you can send mail, but I've never tried it.

Yep, you did understand my questions.
I see, so aside from wanting to do WvW with guildmates, the server choice (as long as it's North America) isn't important ?

How active is the Gaf guild towards WvW ?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Day 1 review: I played for 8 hours..,..

Just did my first world boss, Behemoth who dropped me a nice green axe.

Retro

I see, so aside from wanting to do WvW with guildmates, the server choice (as long as it's North America) isn't important ?

Yeah, you can pick whatever server you want, as long as it's in the North American region you'll be able to play everything but WvW with GAF, no problem. If you think you'd like to get hard into WvW, feel free to pick a higher tier server (here's the current standings).

Just keep in mind that things shift constantly. For example, Sanctum of Rall (ranked 19th) used to be a Tier 1 server. SBI used to be in Tier 1 too, until our main overnight guild (a Korean guild called War Machine) got sick of the racism / politics that goes with being in the ultra-competative tiers and left. After that a lot of guilds bailed out and we dropped down to about where we are now. You can click individual server names at that site I linked above and see their matchup history to see how quickly things can change. There's a lot of band-wagoning to top tier servers, servers organizing to buy transfer for guilds to join them, etc., so just keep in mind that Tier 1 this week might be Tier 5 or 6 if the winds change.

As far as GAF goes, we have a lot of folks on SBI who play regularly as well as people on other servers who are in there quite often, but we don't organize specifically for it. We don't focus on any particular aspect of the game since we try to accommodate as many people as possible.

Since you can belong to up to 5 guilds at once, you can always fall in with a more WvW-centric guild as well. We don't have any kind of rules about repping other guilds or anything.

Still waiting on that sushi dude

Just stay where you are, it'll be there in like 4 or 5 days.

Top tier competitive WvW is on Tarnish Coast, Blackgate, and Jade Quarry servers, problem is they are full, you might be able to get in at 4am when the server population goes to sleep but that is if you are lucky, I am on Tarnish Coast battles are epic, you will see battles involving hundreds of players trying to kill each other at 4am lol..

PS: The one downside of being on T1 server, no other server can fight a T1, the rest of servers get destroyed with ease, so every damn week the match up is the same :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm at PAX! The anet booth is awesome although I didn't get to play the demo today. Not sure if I want to if there's gonna be a bunch of redditors judging me over the twitch channel :p. Levyne just got here!! Weeeee pictures to come
Have an awesome time you guys :D
Day 1 review: I played for 8 hours..,..

Just did my first would boss, Behemoth who dropped me a nice green axe.
when you hit 39, dudes like that are guaranteed to drop you rares :D
INVITE SENT =)
takin care of business! thanks callunario

SJRB

Gold Member
Hey guys! Jumped in today, just reached level 10 after about 4 hours of play. I'm pretty hooked at the moment, but it's 2am so I better call it quits. Game is really awesome so far.

I joined the GAF server too!

Retro

Hey guys! Jumped in today, just reached level 10 after about 4 hours of play. I'm pretty hooked at the moment, but it's 2am so I better call it quits. Game is really awesome so far.

I joined the GAF server too!

Excellent, glad you're having fun. You can post your name.#### or a character name for an invite and you'll have one waiting for you next time you play.

Heading to the fan event. We are fasionably late, doing gaf proud.

You'd be on time if you'd quit getting sloshed in the hallways and drunk-dialing guild leaders.
JUWnj.gif

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
OK, so I played from 2pm - 2am with breaks only for food, I really have to stop! Did a bit of crafting and finished the first zone 100%. I'm really enjoying my DW axe Warrior.

Retro

Can you have multple client shortcuts with different accounts and passwords, saved on it?

I believe so, though I have not tried it personally; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Command_line_arguments

OK, so I played from 2pm - 2am with breaks only for food, I really have to stop! Did a bit of crafting and finished the first zone 100%. I'm really enjoying my DW axe Warrior.

Glad you're having fun, remember to stop and smell the roses and go off the beaten path. I was 100%'ing Divinity's Reach on an alt recently and found a bunch of buildings I don't remember ever going into before, stuff that's been there since launch but I just walked past. There's little things everywhere in this game.

As for warrior, dual-axe is especially fun, it feels nice and fast while also hitting pretty hard. Try all sorts of different combinations because in some situations your choice of weapons can really make a difference (and based on what we're hearing about the expansion, will be even more important in the future). I like sword / axe and Longbow on my warrior, but I carry every weapon with me for whatever comes up.

so is there an accepted fastest way to level outside of crafting?

I would do crafting, but I'm only worth about 60g (and 120g in gems)

Edge of the Mists got ya covered.

This came out right before the last time I stopped playing and I never really took the time to figure it out. Any tips?

Also: Still looking for an invite to the GAF guild. Been playing on the toon "Yoggs" **(account name Yoggs.5701)

**I"m a roboscorpian. This is so cool lmao

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hey guys! Joined Stormbluff Isle to hang out with GAF bros. My name is jonbones.1802 , character name is Hanuman Bones - lookin fwd to playin with yall.

New player here. I took advantage of the sale and this is my first MMO ever. I like RPG's so I thought I'd give this a try.

Info:
ondisplay.7320

What server should I join to play with neogaf players?

spiritfox

Hey guys! Joined Stormbluff Isle to hang out with GAF bros. My name is jonbones.1802 , character name is Hanuman Bones - lookin fwd to playin with yall.

I picked a Human Ranger to start, and it's pretty fun. I like dodging around and loosing arrows. I picked a big cat as a starting pet but I kind of wish I went bear. Can I swap pets eventually? I'd prefer a wolf or dog...

You can swap pets by clicking the pet portrait, which will bring up the pet menu. You'll need to find new pets in the wild and tame them before you can use them though. Also, bears suck, don't use them.

New player here. I took advantage of the sale and this is my first MMO ever. I like RPG's so I thought I'd give this a try.

Info:
ondisplay.7320

What server should I join to play with neogaf players?

We're on Stormbluff Isle, but you can play with us for everything except World vs World if you join any US server.

Spyware

So fun to see all the new people! Welcome <3

I can finally play again! As I said before I've had some trouble but it seems to be a lot better now. I could finally experience the Vinewrath fight! It was fun, very much like a much easier Marionette as people had said.

I'm looking forward to that camera change more and more. Just fought with the current camera (and the day/night cycle, idle animations and enemies that got in the way) for waaaay too long to get this set of pics to show off Didi's color makeover and armor change.

Shiokazu

i wish they gave out how much will be the expack selling for. dollar exchange value is getting too high here... im scared. very scared.

Looking for guild invite, Vehn.1073

Also: Still looking for an invite to the GAF guild. Been playing on the toon "Yoggs" **(account name Yoggs.5701)

Info:
ondisplay.7320

No idea what server I rolled on but I suppose it doesn't matter. Would appreciate an invite for Sev.1482.

Invites sent.

Please post again if I missed anyone. The thread jumps forward every time I am away, and it's hard to tell who has and has not been invited.

Morokh

Was considering buying the Krytan set off the Gem Store for a while now, and with the Digital Deluxe upgrade being at the same price and coming with one of the three 500 gems armor set, I got exactly this and a bunch more goodies :D

On another note I tried Gemfx, and i'm not particularly impressed with the default settings or the few tweaks I made, is there any GemFX /SweetFX profiles I can copy/download somewhere ?

Was considering buying the Krytan set off the Gem Store for a while now, and with the Digital Deluxe upgrade being at the same price and coming with one of the three 500 gems armor set, I got exactly this and a bunch more goodies :D

On another note I tried Gemfx, and i'm not particularly impressed with the default settings or the few tweaks I made, is there any GemFX /SweetFX profiles I can copy/download somewhere ?

The post processing looks good in stills, but man I can't even play with the built in post processing, can't imagine even trying with more lopped on top of that.

Thorgal

Here are a few presets amongst all the sweetfx ones :

http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/game/1/

Best to copy the numbers and paste them inside the Guild Wars 2\bin\GEMFX\Presets\current\ GEMFX_settings.cfg folder .

Edit : also might want to disable certain effects like dirtlens since they can be quite ugly and distracting at least for me .

Levyne

Banned
Man, ANet devs do not let anything slip, even after a bunch of drinks. All I could get out of anyone was that the elementalist spec is "cool", and that the Ranger spec is Druid and uses staff, lmao.

I got to hang with Colin, how jealous is Kos

He even (claimed to) know me by my game name. I haven't played with him that many times so that made my night.

Reading over the wiki page on the Heart of Thorns expac, I'm actually pretty pumped. I must've been really tired when I skimmed it initially, since I had a totally different impression.

That said...
So the Specializations are only going to be 1/Profession? In which case... There isn't really a point to them yet, right? It's just a linear class unlockable just like anything else since there won't be any choice.

spiritfox

Reading over the wiki page on the Heart of Thorns expac, I'm actually pretty pumped. I must've been really tired when I skimmed it initially, since I had a totally different impression.

That said...
So the Specializations are only going to be 1/Profession? In which case... There isn't really a point to them yet, right? It's just a linear class unlockable just like anything else since there won't be any choice.

For now. They're going to add more later.

For now. They're going to add more later.

Unfortunately I don't really trust ANet to do such in a timely manner. They've gotten better with their releases, but I'm still pretty skeptical. As far as I'm concerned, until more options come out, it's not really a feature.

There's the choice of not using the specialization. They don't replace the base profession.

So it's less linear and more a different branch.

There's the choice of not using the specialization. They don't replace the base profession.

So it's less linear and more a different branch.

Wait, the Specialization comes at the cost of some aspect of the vanilla class? I was under the impression it was akin to WoW specializations where you don't lose any of the base class' spells, but gain extra skills.

*Okay, rereading your comment I'm not sure what you mean. At 80 why would you not use the specialization? and if there's 1 it isn't a choice. Hence linear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom