• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was under the impression that specializations would sacrifice things from the normal class. But if it really is just more stuff added on top and nothing lost, then yeah, that's pretty pointless. Everyone would be using it, and that's not very exciting at all.

At least until there are more specializations. So I see where you are coming from now.

I was under the impression that specializations would sacrifice things from the normal class. But if it really is just more stuff added on top and nothing lost, then yeah, that's pretty pointless. Everyone would be using it, and that's not very exciting at all.

Guess we'll see. The term "specialization" does kind of indicate it would be a min-maxing sort of change instead of just MORE. But... MMO terminology rarely makes perfect sense. I actually hope you're right, but I doubt it.

spiritfox

At least until there are more specializations. So I see where you are coming from now.

I believe there will be some things sacrificed from the base class. They will be changing up the traits with specializations so unless they add new trees, they'll have to remove something.

Anno

Well all of it is useful across all characters. Every new character gets the ring and golem banker thing. The skin has one "free" use, and after that unlocks to your wardrobe to use forever but takes up transmutation charges to do so. The wolf skill is actually decent as well.

Spyware

i should of listened when they said the more expensive version wasnt worth it. Items on one toon? Cmon..

Hmm. These items?
Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill
Miniature Rytlock
Golem Banker
Chalice of Glory
Tome of Influence
The elite skill is unlocked on all characters as soon as they reach the level where it's possible to unlock elite skills.
The miniature goes into your collection, usable by all characters at any time.
The banker is a thing you can use for 2 weeks (after using it the first time) and it's sent to all new characters you make in the future.
The two last items are one time use boosts.

I wouldn't say it's great stuff but it's in no way a one character thing.

Guys. Guys. Colin signed my shirt.

GAF 4 life =)

I taught Arken and Levyne how to drink tequila. Miktar is a champ and already knew how. Yeee good times. More interesting pictures later

I hope this means you didn't tell them to use salt and lemon. Taking tequila straight is the only right way.

Man, ANet devs do not let anything slip, even after a bunch of drinks. All I could get out of anyone was that the elementalist spec is "cool", and that the Ranger spec is Druid and uses staff, lmao.

I got to hang with Colin, how jealous is Kos

He even (claimed to) know me by my game name. I haven't played with him that many times so that made my night.
I'm quit jealous. I'm sure if I was there he would have told me more about the Engineer specialization because Engis 4 Life!

zugzug

I'm confused.

can someone tell me if the Lunar Festival stuff is still available to buy on trading post? I saw a news article about it but no expriation date.

that screenshot of the clothing looked pretty good. what other items were on for Lunar Festival?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Noob question, why can't I salvage or vendor certain items?

Anno

I'm confused.

can someone tell me if the Lunar Festival stuff is still available to buy on trading post? I saw a news article about it but no expriation date.

that screenshot of the clothing looked pretty good. what other items were on for Lunar Festival?

I think the gemstore items are gone. There are two back pieces on the TP, search for Ram Lantern. I think they look pretty nice.

Noob question, why can't I salvage or vendor certain items?

Most can be. I think the exceptions are items you get from personal story quests, start the game with or buy with karma.

Quenk

I'm not really one for taking lots of pictures but here's a shot of the screens in the main entrance of pax. Gw2 was one of the things they had on rotation.
JiIjBF8.jpg

Quenk

Apple and Levyne need to duo the Wyvern and show everyone how GAF gets it done.

I was planning on checking out the demo with them so I can get carried like during our dungeon runs.

Hopefully the line won't be too crazy. I was talking with an ANet employee yesterday and he said the line was 3-4 hours long.

Just spent the last 5-6 hours doing JPs, did around 30, idk lost count. Still have two left, but I can't take anymore right now.

WTS starts in about an hour, so I'll just take a break and watch that. Abjured will most likely win, but I'll tune in anyways.

Hopefully the line won't be too crazy. I was talking with an ANet employee yesterday and he said the line was 3-4 hours long.

The PvE demo (wyvern) is 30 min long and there's only about 10 computers I think so... yeah. Long ass lines today probably. The PvP line is much shorter but I don't know enough about PvP to care about it

Zeroth

Guess we'll see. The term "specialization" does kind of indicate it would be a min-maxing sort of change instead of just MORE. But... MMO terminology rarely makes perfect sense. I actually hope you're right, but I doubt it.

We know for sure that we will replace a trait line with a new one, and given what they said about not having access to certain traits, I'm inclined to believe specializations will sacrifice a utility type for each class. It's the most logical explanation to why we wouldn't access some traits (because they boost these utilities) and why it is a "specialization".

I also want to point out that this first batch of specs will focus on stuff classes *can't* do well, rather than focus on what they already do well. So you won't be forced to pick a spec if it focuses on stuff you don't do.

Man, ANet devs do not let anything slip, even after a bunch of drinks. All I could get out of anyone was that the elementalist spec is "cool", and that the Ranger spec is Druid and uses staff, lmao.

I got to hang with Colin, how jealous is Kos

He even (claimed to) know me by my game name. I haven't played with him that many times so that made my night.

Nice leaks you got there Lev.

Also, did he specify which name? It's one thing to remember Levyne, it's a different one to remember Ahli Nujum or Ruby Válečník (bonus points if he pronounces right).

Levyne

Banned
I said Levyne and he recognized it right away. Colin knows me Also talked with Kristen a fair bit, Rubi and Roy as well. There was a goofy sbi shout out during one of the raffles too, so probably more familiar character names in the crowd I bet.

Hmm. These items?

The elite skill is unlocked on all characters as soon as they reach the level where it's possible to unlock elite skills.
The miniature goes into your collection, usable by all characters at any time.
The banker is a thing you can use for 2 weeks (after using it the first time) and it's sent to all new characters you make in the future.
The two last items are one time use boosts.

I wouldn't say it's great stuff but it's in no way a one character thing.

I was speaking of the one time chest that opens and gives you a choice of armor sets. I chose Warrior and never played it again. Yeah im a little salty lol.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Having some issues setting up my DS4 w/ my OS X copy of GW2.

Surely someone else must be using a similar set up? Any tips?

Retro

Specialization shouldn't affect your stats and, as far as I know, won't force you into any specific, Trinity-esque role. It unlocks a new weapon choice, new skills and traits and supposedly has an entirely different class mechanic than the profession it branches off from. We don't a ton of details on it yet, but it seems less about "Your profession is more powerful now" and more about "Your profession plays differently now."

Apple and Levyne need to duo the Wyvern and show everyone how GAF gets it done.

A little birdy told me Arken whooped everyone's ass in PVP.

I was speaking of the one time chest that opens and gives you a choice of armor sets. I chose Warrior and never played it again. Yeah im a little salty lol.

For what it's worth, they should be unlocked account-wide now, so you'll have them for any future Warriors, Guardians or the new profession in HoT, the Revenant.

Having some issues setting up my DS4 w/ my OS X copy of GW2.

Surely someone else must be using a similar set up? Any tips?

I don't have any experience with the Mac client, I would check the forums.
Edit: Herp Derp, didn't realize you were talking about controllers. The last Dual Shock controller I owned was for PS2 =p

Callunah

Neo Member
Can you elaborate on why you decided to leave ?
I'm new to the game, and I believe PvP will be what I would do most at high level.

Sorry to take so long in answering this, but last night being reset and e being on a new server... my attentions were there... then it was bedtime =)

Retro addressed most if not all of the things that I have witnessed and played thru over the past months. Its frustrating, at best. I do have another account on a Tier 1 server, where I belong to a hard core wvw guild and I love the fights, the bags, the strategies, and the competitive nature, so my fighting on SBI was a much more relaxing experience. Or at least it was SUPPOSED to be. It turned out to be stressful and not fun at all for me lately. (its supposed to be fun!!!! right??)

My leaving SBi was because I just didnt feel that anything was going to change ... either for the better or for the worse. There are several personal reasons as well, but I won't get into them... I just needed a change. And a "less toxic" environment to play in.

Ive moved to NSP and am playing with a small wvw centered guild and reset was amazing. Im sure part of that was truly the "honeymoon" phase, but seeing several comanders on each map, working together gives my in-game heart, the boost it needed.

I do TONS of wvw and tons of PvE as well, and truthfully, I struggled with the thought of moving. While GAF does have a core of wvw players, it was rare for me to party or play with them, with one or two exceptions. I am NOT leaving GAF nor my friends here.. I will still be running dungeons/fractals/missions and everything I can do with GAF... we just won't be on the same side of the wvw battlefield anymore. That being said.. .if you GAF WvW folks ever want to get a GvG organized.. hollar. =)

Thorgal

Sorry to take so long in answering this, but last night being reset and e being on a new server... my attentions were there... then it was bedtime =)

Retro addressed most if not all of the things that I have witnessed and played thru over the past months. Its frustrating, at best. I do have another account on a Tier 1 server, where I belong to a hard core wvw guild and I love the fights, the bags, the strategies, and the competitive nature, so my fighting on SBI was a much more relaxing experience. Or at least it was SUPPOSED to be. It turned out to be stressful and not fun at all for me lately. (its supposed to be fun!!!! right??)

My leaving SBi was because I just didnt feel that anything was going to change ... either for the better or for the worse. There are several personal reasons as well, but I won't get into them... I just needed a change. And a "less toxic" environment to play in.

Ive moved to NSP and am playing with a small wvw centered guild and reset was amazing. Im sure part of that was truly the "honeymoon" phase, but seeing several comanders on each map, working together gives my in-game heart, the boost it needed.

I do TONS of wvw and tons of PvE as well, and truthfully, I struggled with the thought of moving. While GAF does have a core of wvw players, it was rare for me to party or play with them, with one or two exceptions. I am NOT leaving GAF nor my friends here.. I will still be running dungeons/fractals/missions and everything I can do with GAF... we just won't be on the same side of the wvw battlefield anymore. That being said.. .if you GAF WvW folks ever want to get a GvG organized.. hollar. =)

Recently i too switched to another server because of WVW reasons ( not like in your case because it felt toxic , i simply wanted to partake into a much more involved and competitive WVW experience )

Though i got to ask out of curiosity : why not transfer over to a tier 1 server like me (Blackgate ) if you wanted much more competitive play ?

Either way , i wish you much WVW fun regardless .

Minamu

How's the wvw side toxic? Only thing I've seen from doing map completion there is the lack of understanding for newbies.

Wanderer5

Fighting the Dah'ren Mohran last night on MH4 reminded me of how crappy Zhaitan's fight was lol. D.Mohran felt so much better fight setup and design wise for a elder dragon. I hope Mordremoth won't be as disappointing.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Convinced my friend to buy it so he's downloading it now, although he's still on old school ADSL so it'll take about 20 hours :D

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I don't have any experience with the Mac client, I would check the forums.
Edit: Herp Derp, didn't realize you were talking about controllers. The last Dual Shock controller I owned was for PS2 =p

Quoting this so Hawkian reads it.

Hawk pls

thanks bros, i managed to get a serviceable set up with ControllerMate!

wifey is working night shifts all weekend and i have the flu so i'll probably log some serious time in.... any tips on where to start?

do i do my personal story first? are there anything akin to "hunting logs" from FFXIV or Far Cry 4? one of my favorite things to do in an open world game.

for better or worse, this is one of the most open ended "intro" sections to an mmo. i'm just going around doing hearts kinda aimlessly...

Ashodin

I'm starting to believe in the power of Unscathed Contender, the guardian trait that gives you 20% more damage when aegis is up. If you time blinds and dodges right, you can deal insane damage out before it disappears.

xeris

thanks bros, i managed to get a serviceable set up with ControllerMate!

wifey is working night shifts all weekend and i have the flu so i'll probably log some serious time in.... any tips on where to start?

do i do my personal story first? are there anything akin to "hunting logs" from FFXIV or Far Cry 4? one of my favorite things to do in an open world game.

for better or worse, this is one of the most open ended "intro" sections to an mmo. i'm just going around doing hearts kinda aimlessly...

You can do your personal story any time you want. Each chapter will unlock at the 10's (so level 10, 20, 30, etc) and have a handful of missions. There are no hunting logs like that. Closest thing is you get achievements for killing certain numbers of different critter classes. Other than that yeah it's pretty open ended. There's no do this quest to unlock the next quest linearity. You can even use portals to get to the other starting areas if you want. I do that on some of my toons cause there's a couple starting areas I'm not nuts about. Thanks to downleveling there's never an area not worth doing.

Only real tip I'd give you is make sure you do your gathering when it unlocks. Also if you get bored in one area use portals like I said to freshen things up a bit. Also if you do events hang around for a bit since a good number of them have follow ups or, at worst, a bit of fun dialogue. Oh, and fully explore at least your starting city and maybe the others. It gives a nice bit of xp and some transformation crystals you'll want later. Don't waste em now though. You'll be upgrading gear so fast it's a waste.

Waveset

Please can anyone provide a link to the Mac client?

I downloaded a 16GB file from a third party website overnight, but trying to run it results in nothing :(

Getting back into this now that I'm done studying for the BAR exam...may I have an invite?

Spectral Dispersion.4860

I sent you an invite. Push 'G' to open the guild panel, and then click 'Accept' and 'Represent'.

Please can anyone provide a link to the Mac client?

I downloaded a 16GB file from a third party website overnight, but trying to run it results in nothing :(

You'll probably have to sign in with an account before it will let you download from the official website.

https://account.guildwars2.com/account/download/gw2?type=mac

Waveset

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom