• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moondrop

Banned
I present my WvW mantra lockdown mesmer build. The concept isn't novel, but I've yet to encounter this formulation.

|| Goal ||
The objective of this build is to develop a zerg-friendly mesmer that will take advantage of the new stability paradigm.

|| Features ||
- Multiple AoE hard CC skills that cause 2 second immobilize on interrupt
- AoE stability sharing (up to 9 consecutive seconds)
- Traditional mesmer utility with survivability

|| Build ||
Sword/Focus + Staff (Nullification/Cleansing + Fire/Cleansing sigils)
Mantra of Recovery, Mantra of Concentration, Mantra of Distraction, Veil/Portal, Mass Invisibility
6 Mantra Mastery, Protected Mantras, Harmonious Mantras
6 Descent into Madness, Chaotic Dampening, Chaotic Interruption
2 Mender's Purity
Soldier Gear (Traveler runes)

|| Guide ||
Overview: This is a support build in the sense that it's designed to funnel glory to your teammates rather than yourself (unless it thrills you to hear "nice veil"). Many of your AoE CC skills won't yield tags, but will set up your buddies to make paste of your foes. Plus you can still veil, portal, time warp, drive golems, etc.

Weapon Skills: Staff is fundamental to this build because it brings the best skill: Chaos Storm, an AoE field that pulses dazes (which immobilize on interrupt), boons for your buddies, soft control on your enemies, damage, and is an ethereal field. This is a legit bomb when the pin calls for such. I'm still not in love with staff overall; though Phase Retreat is good for positioning and clone generation, the auto-attack is trifling, the phantasm is single target, and Chaos Armor is a modest buff at best. Nevertheless, Chaos Storm makes it all worth it.

Sword is quite useful- invulnerability, clone generation, teleport, immobilize (when iLeap feels like working), and just something to cleave downies when you find yourself in close-quarters combat. Focus is also too useful to leave behind: the AoE pull that can proc immobilize, plus the group swiftness. And the phantasm is decent for damaging siege I suppose.

Sword/focus emerged as the best complement to my playstyle but scepter/focus or even greatsword could be utilized in a pew-pew variant of this build. Both would still have AoE hard CC. The improved scepter projectile is more reliable than the staff's autoattack, you get a channeled block, and this variant could run dire gear to improve staff a bit. Greatsword is a superior ranged option to both but the lack of defense would orient you more toward the backline than I prefer.

Utility Skills: Though the mechanism of mantras is simple, the gameplay is nuanced. First there's the technical level. Channeling mantras doesn't lock you out of using instant cast skills, which for this build are not not only the other prepared mantras but also Phase Retreat and Chaos Storm on Staff. Using these skills while channeling mantras is a unique style, and this bleeds into the tactical level, where the decisions to commit to a mantra channel or burn a single mantra charge to reset to three require anticipation and knowledge of the flow of battle.

The healing mantra is boosted by traits. Cleansing two conditions per cast permits you to use this just for clearing your own condis, given the short cooldown. And while channeling mantras your toughness surges from 2900 to 3500; waiting to channel until you're running into damage is viable. With traveler runes, the stability mantra reaches a round 3 seconds. Given three casts and an internal cooldown of 2 seconds, you can chain 9 seconds of stability to your allies on a ~23 second cooldown. What say you guardians? Lastly, I'm not sure everyone is aware that the daze mantra is a PbAoE centered on your target at 1200 range. If Chaos Storm is the centerpiece of the build, this is your bread and butter. Just don't use it on foes with stability- yet.

Before moving on, I want to put in a word for the aesthetics of mantras. The animations, both overhead when you channel and around your target when you cast, are very pretty. The mantra channeling animation really shows off your offhand weapon. Plus you periodically get silly voice clips. Definitely a plus of the build.

Traits: The value of the mantra traits is self-evident. The fall damage trait may seem silly at first, but it procs more Chaos Storm, and situations present themselves if you're looking. Besides, any illusions you generate don't last long enough for the reduced damage trait. The boons on interrupt trait would also seem more appropriate for this build, but it's mainly for might stacking and it's hard to land enough hits to make this worthwhile. I recommend taking reduced staff cooldowns for moar chaos storm! And of course, the precious immobilize on interrupt- 2 seconds on anyone who dares to use a skill in your Chaos Storm or near someone you instantly daze or near your focus pull.

Gear: Since the daze mantra and focus pull (and staff auto-attack) are non-damaging, I favor Soldier's stats- good survivability and you can still cleave with sword when necessary. I can't bear playing mesmer without improved movement speed. The fire sigil on staff should proc enough with maintenance oils. Cleansing sigils help against condi burst. I'm open to suggestions on the sword sigil, but nullification was improved in a recent feature patch and synergizes with the build.

The Future: As of today, the multiple AoE hard CCs must be applied judiciously. But soon you'll be able to toss them directly into the enemy frontline, ripping stacks of stability in all directions before revealing the nougaty center. In theorycrafting for the upcoming stability changes, I think builds that deal and capitalize on CC will rise to greater prominence.

Minamu

Someone was asking in guild chat what kind of slots are the best to combine on the ascended accesories etc, does anyone know? :) Two of each or?

Retro

Guild Mission Makeups in 1 hour and 15 minutes!
Hope everyone changed their clocks, but the guild schedule doesn't so be there or be Ashodin.
JUWnj.gif

Zzz line so long

That's a good thing at least, it sounds like the ArenaNet booth has been consistently busy all weekend. Of course, being stuck in it probably changes your perspective.

We've been floating around the Anet booth basically all weekend and left it until today to actually try the demo because the line was so long. It's been a multiple hour wait since Friday morning. Haven't said hi to Rubi yet either, been meaning to do that all weekend :< maybe I'll have a chance today, probably going to be here for hours yet

EDIT: just kidding we just said hi. Hi Rubi!

Morokh

Someone was asking in guild chat what kind of slots are the best to combine on the ascended accesories etc, does anyone know? :) Two of each or?

That was me on my warrior :p

Hawkian said:
Hmm not sure I understand

I was getting trinkets for this character and couldn't remember what was best, between defensive, offensive and utility slots on ascended jewelry,

UberLevi

Hey guys, I just picked this game up since it was on sale. I've played during a couple of free trial periods and enjoyed myself as Mesmer but wanted to try something new. Is a dual pistol Thief any fun to play in solo PvE?

Zeroth

That was me on my warrior :p

I was getting trinkets for this character and couldn't remember what was best, between defensive, offensive and utility slots on ascended jewelry,

You can only have one of each type, since ascended amulets are unique, so you can only have one copy of each equipped. As such. your accessories will always be one offensive infusion, one defensive infusion.

The exception, like Hawkian mentioned, are amulets, which you can pick either offensive (if you ever go for that +5 power infusion) or utility (which has neat stuff like +20% MF, which I use).

Thorgal

Hey guys, I just picked this game up since it was on sale. I've played during a couple of free trial periods and enjoyed myself as Mesmer but wanted to try something new. Is a dual pistol Thief any fun to play in solo PvE?

It works well enough in pve ( most things do ).

Best way to see if you like it is to try it .

Ike: I asked them if the wyvern is feasibly soloable and they said "maybe... if you had a really long time and were really good at not dying"

Sounds like a challenge to me

EDIT: the wyvern on the demo here is slightly different than the one that will be on HoT release. Easier for the inexperienced PAX-goer to handle, lol

Retro

Missions starting momentarily, slight delay due to Tequatl.

You can pretty much do whatever you want in solo PVE, honestly. Just be aware that you won't have much to deal with multiple targets, so for your second weapon set you may want sword in your mainhand (since it cleaves) or do a crazy all-ranged Thief build with P/P and Shortbow for multiple foes.

We met Rubi! :D :D :D

Awesome, crazy jealous of you guys getting to meet all the devs this weekend.

Trey

So now that in America the clock has been turned does that mean that SBI Teq is now an hour early for us EU plebs ??

I think it will stay constant for those without daylight savings. Server reset time is now an hour later for those in America.

So now that in America the clock has been turned does that mean that SBI Teq is now an hour early for us EU plebs ??

Reset is now 8pm est, nothing changes with the internal reset...everything is now an hour later, Karka Queen now at 10pm instead of 9pm...

Retro

Make-up Missions complete!
Thanks for coming out everyone, especially the volunteers who got their comms last night but came to help out anyways.

There's an update on Tuesday, should include the new camera changes (including first-person view) and hopefully some more goodies. I'm not sure if the changes to stability and such are in this update or not.

Rezzed is next weekend in London, after that they should start in on the closed beta. Remember to sign up for that here.

Have a good weekend, folks.

We need to be visited by aliens, develop a warp drive or something so that everyone stops thinking so locally and we can have just one singular "earth time" to go on from here on out. So... any aliens checking the internet... um... get on that.

In the meantime; http://gw2.limitlessfx.com/

Taffer

He's asking about SBI Teq specifically, if that's at a fixed time it'll be earlier for Thorgal but if it's always an hour after reset Teq it'll be as normal for him.
Best thing to do is get in-game and ask someone in charge how long until it happens.

Zeroth

It is now happening at server reset, so yes, one hour earlier. Since it's also a normal spawn, be sure to get in preparation earlier, or you WILL be locked out of the map (no more gettin into SBI teq at x:50)

SJRB

Gold Member
After reaching lvl 15 with my Human Warrior I made a Norn Thief just to see how that profession is, and hoooly crap the Norn starting area is infinitely cooler than the Human one. I love it.

I like Thief, but I'm not sure where it goes in term of skills. Also feels like all Norn should be warriors by default with their hulking appearance and all, haha.

It's a shame you can't re-roll professions.

Quenk

Demo was fun. I got to fight the wyvern once with Apple and Leyvne in the group and once with just randoms. I also managed to run into some pocket raptors.

Levyne

Banned
For the lurkers, Hi Rubi, it was fun to meet you.

The Wyvern in its current form is pretty easy. It could easily be solo'd, though it might take awhile if you can't cc the break bar down yourself. It is a really fun fight though. But understandable for new players to the game.

I loved hearing the main character talk more. I never read the prompts when the character speech is just written out.

Stronghold seems really fun, but never got to play it myself. It seems like teamwork and roles become more important, whether you are smuggling supplies of focused on offense or defense lane. A few more wrinkles than just bunker or not bunker, but I'm not super well versed in pvp.

So many revenants. Seems like they aren't able to used anything other than hammer or mace/axe, atm.

Definitely worth waiting in line. It was fun to be able to party with other GAF during the fight. We carried the team I'm sure.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Noob question, why won't certain crafting materials go into the storage thingy like the rest? I have to put them in my normal bank storage which is very limited, the stuff on the right I'm talking about.

Zeroth

Noob question, why won't certain crafting materials go into the storage thingy like the rest? I have to put them in my normal bank storage which is very limited, the stuff on the right I'm talking about.

They are refined items, which can only be sold on the TP or to NPCs if you don't plan to use them

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
They are refined items, which can only be sold on the TP or to NPCs if you don't plan to use them

I do plan to use them, just not right now as my other mats are limited, they're for levelling my armorsmith and weaponsmith. I was shocked at how little storage space you get. At 80 how fast is it to get say, 100g? I'm wondering how fast I can get the extra bank slot, bag slot etc without spending RL money.

pyrandes

Stronghold seems really fun, but never got to play it myself. It seems like teamwork and roles become more important, whether you are smuggling supplies of focused on offense or defense lane. A few more wrinkles than just bunker or not bunker, but I'm not super well versed in pvp.

Stronghold was pretty fun. It felt a bit like a MOBA (with supply-constraint helper mobs [archers/sappers] to spawn) and (forgive this comparison) Alterac Valley from WoW with the focus on taking down the opposing team's commander NPC. The addition of hero mobs to help out, which could only be spawned via mist essence supply i believe, can help with the opposing commander and opposing players.

Definitly a mode that could require some coordination to at the higher levels of play as you shift between offense and defense to control the map a bit.

Use the money you saved during the GW2 sale and buy more bank tabs. You'll need them.

I do plan to use them, just not right now as my other mats are limited, they're for levelling my armorsmith and weaponsmith. I was shocked at how little storage space you get. At 80 how fast is it to get say, 100g? I'm wondering how fast I can get the extra bank slot, bag slot etc without spending RL money.
I'd say the average active GW2 player makes less than 5g every 24h.

Zeroth

Depends on what you do, although by playing normally, that would take some time. I would say two to three weeks, maybe.

Regardless, you shouldn't be doing this stuff at this rate. A new player shouldn't even concern themselves with crafting, for it drains too many resources and gives nothing back (specially because even crafted exotics tend to sell at a loss). And in the event that you do, be sure to use a guide like GW2crafts.

Anno

You can save one slot by using that mini Rytlock. It will go to a table that you can choose to summon/unsummon any mini at basically any time. No reason to leave it in the bank.

Another option for storage is to create your own guild (since you can be in up to 5 at once) and research towards opening up the guild bank. I use that for more long-term storage that I don't need to get to frequently.

I was really expecting HoT release date from PAX.
Beta sign-up is nice though.

I wonder if they'll release around same time as FFXIV's expansion (June), or try to avoid it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2ydzfk/i_spoke_to_colin_for_45_minutes_at_the_community/

When asked how he felt about the all zerker meta, he said that in his ideal zerker is a viable party role, but full zerker parties are not the singular meta.

Miktar and Colin would be such bros.

As someone else who was in this conversation, I wanted to add that Colin said that there was no intention to move to a more passive combat system (with tanks/healers) and that zerker was ok (aside from what was mentioned above), but that players should be forced to use all of their skills instead of spamming stuff and being ok because the boss melted so fast.

Fine by me.

Trey

Has to be on gw2 anniversary.

Gimmicky and unnecessary. It'll release whenever it's ready, and August is a rather long ways off. I don't see arenanet giving out all this information, look ins and beta for a release that's half a year away.

Ashodin

Gimmicky and unnecessary. It'll release whenever it's ready, and August is a rather long ways off. I don't see arenanet giving out all this information, look ins and beta for a release that's half a year away.

Nah. Anet are suckers for anniversaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom