• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been out of the game for about 2 years and decided to get back into it this week.

I logged into my old character and am transferring a bunch of stuff to my new one (bags, etc), and I noticed that I have a tonne of black lion chests. Are keys worth buying? What other ways can I get keys? These chests are just taking up room in my inventory.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I've been out of the game for about 2 years and decided to get back into it this week.

I logged into my old character and am transferring a bunch of stuff to my new one (bags, etc), and I noticed that I have a tonne of black lion chests. Are keys worth buying? What other ways can I get keys? These chests are just taking up room in my inventory.
yeah, everybody has a ton of chests. You get a key eeeeevery once in a blue moon, sometimes as a daily reward or a drop (I've only ever seen two drop in almost 3000 hours of play since launch).

Keys are a decent way to support the game if you just feel like doing so and don't really care to get anything in particular, there's a bunch of useful convenience items inside, tickets to exchange for rare skins, very rare minis and stuff like that. They're certainly not "worth it" in the sense that it's actually a good investment or what have you. They're just gambling boxes. They can also have keys in them themselves, so you can sometimes chain a few. This page has the full contents.

I never buy them, personally. Just not my style. I have hundreds of BL chests. Some people have a ritual, like 20 keys per month and just open them all at once or whatever.
can you still send cross region mail ? US to EU server and vice versa ?
As of 3 weeks ago at least, this definitely still worked.

Quenk

I'm thinking of finally getting some runes for my alts (thief and ele). From what I've heard, scholar seems to be the way to go for most classes but I'm looking for more of a budget option. Plus, I suck and don't think I'll be able to make use of that bonus at >90% health.

Minamu

I just sell my chests on the tp usually, unless a story mission gave a key.

Today, I made a new joke character. He's dark red haired and bearded human male Engineer in dark gray rags. Out of a job Hobo can sometimes be found in the trading district of DR begging for money xD I got 40,6s today lol.

I'm thinking of finally getting some runes for my alts (thief and ele). From what I've heard, scholar seems to be the way to go for most classes but I'm looking for more of a budget option. Plus, I suck and don't think I'll be able to make use of that bonus at >90% health.
Eles have plenty of heals and regens if done meta, so 90% ought to be doable most of the time.

Moondrop

Banned
For budget options, I would recommend runes of speed for thief (1.5g/each) and runes of either eagle (1g), ogre (75s), or privateer aka parrot (5s) for elementalist.

The red fort charr is also much bigger than the biggest charr. Probably so that these NPCs are more easily spotable.

A lot of "mid-boss" type characters are scaled up for visibility, I think. Kholer and the Ascalonian Captain that springs up during Detha's trap defense are both Norn-sized, despite being human ghosts.

Osa is tall enough to walk on people.

screenshot56585_resulf2uyg.jpg

screenshot57104_resulwluj7.jpg

Merely a stepping-stone.

Have they increased the variety in armour? I haven't played in about a year and half or so. I remember having to stick with the same armour, on the few created characters I had, for a very long while!

Retro

it's a giant wooorm

Starring
UltimateIke as Brynn Vaulderie
appletoasty as Mille Tendresse
thespot84 as Hoggish Greedly
~and~
Retro as Sir-Not-Appearing-in-this-Film
My shots are coming from behind Apple, hehe.

Fun run, we need to do more GAFSmash runs in general, but these theme runs are a blast too.

Have they increased the variety in armour? I haven't played in about a year and half or so. I remember having to stick with the same armour, on the few created characters I had, for a very long while!

They've added a couple new armor sets (mostly to the gem store, but there's a really cool set they added for the newest Living Story chapter that you can also upgrade to be glow-in-the-dark-looking), and also overhauled the "Town clothes" system so that you can now wear outfits in combat. They've added some pretty cool ones.

The wardrobe system (added last April) also makes it much easier to see, manage and apply armor skins, especially since it's account wide. Dyes are account-wide now as well.

If you bought the game, the only thing stopping you from checking it out is time and bandwidth to redownload it and see.

leng jai

I spent 40 minutes with a pug group trying to do the swamp fractal until they rage quit. Got a new party after that and did it first go ^__^

Proven

So... Stronghold beta next Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon is the only afternoon I have free during my school week. The stars have aligned. I keep missing any and all discussion in this thread about it, though.

They've added a couple new armor sets (mostly to the gem store, but there's a really cool set they added for the newest Living Story chapter that you can also upgrade to be glow-in-the-dark-looking), and also overhauled the "Town clothes" system so that you can now wear outfits in combat. They've added some pretty cool ones.

The wardrobe system (added last April) also makes it much easier to see, manage and apply armor skins, especially since it's account wide. Dyes are account-wide now as well.

If you bought the game, the only thing stopping you from checking it out is time and bandwidth to redownload it and see.

I shall jump back in then! :) Thanks!

Retro

So... Stronghold beta next Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon is the only afternoon I have free during my school week. The stars have aligned. I keep missing any and all discussion in this thread about it, though.

When it comes to stuff like PVP and WvW maps, the proof is in the pudding. With PvE stuff it's all about lore discussions and speculation and such, because figuring out what's going on / going to happen is part of the fun. Lots of stuff to talk about and discuss. With competitive things though, I'd rather not dig into it until I've had a chance to... well... dig into it. I'm interested to try it, but since PVP isn't really my focus in the game I'm not quivering with excitement or anything (and hearing it compared to MOBAs, a genre I don't particularly care for doesn't help).

I shall jump back in then! :) Thanks!

No problem, post your name.#### for a guild invite if you'd like.

Proven

I will say that from the videos, Stronghold looks like a stripped down version of Heroes of the Storm rather than your average Dota-like, which is a good thing.

Hey all, new here & considering checking this game out this weekend due to the $10 sale (seems low risk). Ive never played an MMO before, but am thinking its time so am looking to this on PC & ESO on console (haven't decided Xbone vs PS4 yet).

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions soon enough about the intricacies of the game system, joining the guild, etc... but for now only one general question comes to mind: I have zero interest in PvP (that may change) so is this still a worthwhile investment of my time? I'm mostly interested in "SP like" content, story, lore, exploring, & am excited by the prospect of some group/co-op PvE stuff. Is there a lot of SP and co-op content if I decide to not really get into the PvP side? I suppose the idea of large scale battles of one guild vs another sounds pretty cool, but it most definitely wouldn't be my primary focus.

I guess I have one other question: How does it perform on middle tier gear? I'll be playing this on my HTPC from my couch so I can play on my 65" big screen. My HTPC has an AMD 760K + nVidia GTX 960, 16GB RAM, SSD. And can I use a controller or will I need to go keyboard/mouse from the couch?

The vast majority of my time playing the game (over 2,000 hours) has been single player or co-op PvE. I consider PvP to be a fairly small part of the package, but it's still fun to check out from time to time. But there is a -lot- of exploration to do if that's your fancy.

Your PC specs should be plenty. I'm not convinced there is a CPU in existence that can keep the game running perfectly in large scale, 50+ player events, but you should have no problems in the majority of the game's areas.

As long as you aren't on Windows 8/8.1, you can use the guide in the OP to set up a controller.

This is the ad I keep getting on NeoGAF mobile:

176184972909660085779ou4w.jpg

Minamu

Hey all, new here & considering checking this game out this weekend due to the $10 sale (seems low risk). Ive never played an MMO before, but am thinking its time so am looking to this on PC & ESO on console (haven't decided Xbone vs PS4 yet).

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions soon enough about the intricacies of the game system, joining the guild, etc... but for now only one general question comes to mind: I have zero interest in PvP (that may change) so is this still a worthwhile investment of my time? I'm mostly interested in "SP like" content, story, lore, exploring, & am excited by the prospect of some group/co-op PvE stuff. Is there a lot of SP and co-op content if I decide to not really get into the PvP side? I suppose the idea of large scale battles of one guild vs another sounds pretty cool, but it most definitely wouldn't be my primary focus.

I guess I have one other question: How does it perform on middle tier gear? I'll be playing this on my HTPC from my couch so I can play on my 65" big screen. My HTPC has an AMD 760K + nVidia GTX 960, 16GB RAM, SSD. And can I use a controller or will I need to go keyboard/mouse from the couch?
It's defintely worth 10 bucks. It's also very newbie friendly, even to those who are new to the genre (still my only "mmo"). Getting into the guild is very easy too, just post your account or character name in here once you've bought the game :) I'm like you, I've had the game since the release and I only just entered the pvp area a couple of weeks ago for the first time, so there's plenty of stuff to do, no worries there. Of course, it is small scale and different to other mmos but it's great in its own way for sure. As for your specs, I'm on a Core 2 Duo, super old, with a probably 7 year old graphics card and 4 gigs of ram, no SSD. And it works just fine. I don't have 60 fps at my settings most of the time but I'm a console kind of guy anyway so I'm used to it *shots fired* and it can drop to single digits in extreme cases but usually it's more than enough to enjoy the game. On the other hand, there's practically zero lag, even for me in EU on a US server!

Quenk

For budget options, I would recommend runes of speed for thief (1.5g/each) and runes of either eagle (1g), ogre (75s), or privateer aka parrot (5s) for elementalist.

Thanks. Ogre seems like it could lead to problems with aggro management in dungeons but I'll check out the others. Flame Legion sound promising as well.

Spyware

I really like ESO for what it is and I adore GW2 so that seems like great games to play, epecially since you don't come from WoW and expect games to work just like that one (a common problem for some people going from WoW to non-WoW-like MMOs)

I have played GW2 for a bit over 3100 hours and maybe 10 of those is from the normal PvP modes of the game. I do play a little bit more PvP during special events but it's still minimal compared to my PvE play. I like exactly what you listed up there and basically play just for the same reason so I think you'll like this game a bunch! :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Gotta babysit again tonight, my sister is attending a "room escape" party. i'm pretty jelly. Might not make it home for missions but I will if I can!

hehe, for $10 the simplest I can put it is that you will not be disappointed based on your descriptions here.

Yes sir/ma'am!

Yeah, the guild is still pretty active despite the lull in content at the moment, just had to cull inactive players to make room (the sales have brought in a lot of new blood). As always, post your name.#### and we'll get you invited back in.

Depending on how long it's been since you played, I would check out Drytop and The Silverwastes, two new zones that have a lot going on in them. Both are accessible from Brisban Wildlands in the far west of the world.

Glad to hear things are still alive and well. My ID is TomcatTheLion.6852

It's been quite some time since I played so I have a lot to re-learn. My original main is/was Mesmer though I dabbled in Guardian and Warrior.

Zeroth

Glad to hear things are still alive and well. My ID is TomcatTheLion.6852

It's been quite some time since I played so I have a lot to re-learn. My original main is/was Mesmer though I dabbled in Guardian and Warrior.

Gotcha, sorry for taking s long. Press "G" in-game, then click on the invite, and click on "Accept" and then on "Represent"!

Retro

Guild Mission Fever (minus Lotto) will begin in 30 minutes!
I'm gonna try to get these started at 9 sharp, so we'll probably start forming parties early. Those of you who will likely need help getting to places should whisper me in-game so I can make sure you get a group that can help you get where you need to go.

No lotto tonight since Hawkian won't be around.

TrounceX

Are you guys still doing guild missions on saturday night? I could really use the comms...

Quick GAF invite for old times sake?

edit: nvm apparently you do. Advent.3276 please!!!

TrounceX

I positively love how messed up guild chat is. I think its a different bug when you just join a guild because I can't see chat no matter what.

:(

I'm gonna try to get these started at 9 sharp, so we'll probably start forming parties early. Those of you who will likely need help getting to places should whisper me in-game so I can make sure you get a group that can help you get where you need to go.

Don't start missions till I log in.

Xanathus

I positively love how messed up guild chat is. I think its a different bug when you just join a guild because I can't see chat no matter what.

:(

You need to represent the guild first. Guild menu, click the Represent button at the bottom. Alternatively you may need to set your status to Invisible, and then Online in the Contacts and LFG menu.

TrounceX

You need to represent the guild first. Guild menu, click the Represent button at the bottom. Alternatively you may need to set your status to Invisible, and then Online in the Contacts and LFG menu.

Oh trust me, I know, I been around since launch. I couldn't see the chat even if I did the invisible - online trick. Also tried relogging and standing down and everything else. I think it really messed up because I joined while invisible but that's just a guess. Gotta hide from that hardcore wvw guild you know. God forbid they see you doing guild missions lmao

It's whatever though I found a community guild to leach comms off of. Hope you guys enjoy.

Levyne

Banned
This might seem obvious but you also simply can't see guild chat if you're set to invisible.

You can see party chat though.

Retro

Excellent missions tonight, MxR starting the challenge without asking and our Rush being only 10 minutes long not withstanding. Skritt Challenge, Snowden Puzzle and Bounty and Spider Rush to wrap it all up. We were pretty much done in an hour which is really good for missions (I always worry you guys are gonna get annoyed that they drag out too long, but we try to make sure everyone is accounted for).

If we get Deputy Brooke next Saturday, I promise we'll go after someone else, I know that's starting to get a bit repetitive, thanks for sticking with it, Poobadoo fans (though to be fair, for a stretch there we were going after Poobadoo a lot too).

Makeup Missions are tomorrow at 3 PM Eastern, volunteers are always appreciated (but never mandatory).

Also, fantastic Full Frontal Fractals with Ike, Refyref, Apple and Zeroth. I need to start doing Fractals more soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I just got home ;_;

edit: hey hey no Langmar on a saturday night, well done!

Retro

edit: hey hey no Langmar on a saturday night, well done!

Thanks, I should just start a non-Langmar puzzle every week, that'd make things a lot smoother.
JUWnj.gif

There was a collective sigh of relief in Mumble when it was Angvar's Trove tonight, I think everyone's had just about enough of the immortal door and endless poison.

So apparently the front door in CoE 3 works even before you kill Alpha ._. 3 of us accidentally walked out the front door in the middle of the last fight tonight

Can I get an invite into the guild? Not sure if you need my username or character name. Username is LordWibble.8196. First character I'm trying is named Jezie Falena.

Thanks.

I tried to find a way to look up the guild in-game and then send a whisper but I can't seem to figure out where to do so or the command.

hythloday

Can I get an invite into the guild? Not sure if you need my username or character name. Username is LordWibble.8196. First character I'm trying is named Jezie Falena.

Thanks.

I tried to find a way to look up the guild in-game and then send a whisper but I can't seem to figure out where to do so or the command.

I logged on and sent you an invite. Hit 'G' to open up the guild window and accept the invite, then 'Represent' to be able to see guild chat. Welcome! :)

Retro

Fractals are the best.

screenshot747530_resu0dub5.jpg

Hahaha, Dhalion is all "Dear me, this uncouth Charr!" in that shot.

There's no in-game method of searching for guilds (at least currently, not sure that's a feature they'll ever add or what), but to whisper you can type /w to whisper (it will have a field for you to enter their name and then a message). Alternatively (and the way I'm used to doing it), you can right-click their name in the chat window / friends list / guild roster; whisper will be one of the options.

pyros

Can I say the last person wins the race attitude that GAF guild has, is exemplary, and I have to thank the officers for their dedication.

Retro

Excellent Make-ups as always, Karka Rush not withstanding. Thanks for coming out, everyone, especially our volunteers who didn't need commendations but help out anyways.

Can I say the last person wins the race attitude that GAF guild has, is exemplary, and I have to thank the officers for their dedication.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, but if you're talking about us trying to make sure everyone gets through the guild rush, you're welcome. It's harder on some (coughkarkacough) than others.

Just got the game, figure I would ask for an invite

gamerecks.7590

Thanks!

Invite sent, hit "G", then hit the "Represent" button. /g is the shortcut for guild chat, see the first post in this OT for VOIP and the guild schedule!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom