• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Boring but completely unsafe. Aren't we going to have to move around a lot in Stronghold? I doubt you can just sit on the lord.

GD4wMBk.jpg

I actually don't know what the Mesmer meta is, or what Stronghold even is for that matter.

10/10 GW2 knowledge.

I know 1/2 of those things.

All I know about stronghold is that it's taking over unranked pvp today...which may get in the way of my daily 10 achievement points.

Lomax

Been curious about this for a long time, finally it picked up in the sale. Can someone tell me how big their install folder is? I know WoW's tended to bloat over time, is the 25 gb estimate accurate or do I actually need a lot more?

Shanlei91

Been curious about this for a long time, finally it picked up in the sale. Can someone tell me how big their install folder is? I know WoW's tended to bloat over time, is the 25 gb estimate accurate or do I actually need a lot more?

Pretty sure mine is 25gb'ish. Used a 32GB stick recently to copy it over to a laptop.

Shanlei91

Huh, I've never tried any invis on my mesmer :O Still need a new rune set too :/

The idea is that turning invis makes the player lose you as a target but is met with multiple clones so they might go after them instead / be confused and disoriented. It's one of those interesting concepts that only works against human enemies.

Minamu

The idea is that turning invis makes the player lose you as a target but is met with multiple clones so they might go after them instead / be confused and disoriented. It's one of those interesting concepts that only works against human enemies.
Yeah figured as much :) sounds like fun.

nataku

Those new charr hairstyles are terrible.

Everything else looks pretty great, though. A lot of things I'm tempted to change to.

Does every race have a unique 1-15 leveling area or do any share with one another? The Sylvari area seems pretty much catered to them. Engineer is alright but I want to maybe try another class before getting too deep into things and figure it'll stay fresh if I try other races.

What is considered a decent point where the feel of a class is fully apparent? At level 17 with the engineer I have all my 1-5 and I've been testing out different turrets and kits so I figure things don't change drastically from this point on. Do most classes give a decent feel by around level 15 or so? Or is there something that changes them up and I should get engineer to 20 or more before trying something different?

Unrelated but I love all the exploring and how it tracks everything for collecting and completionists. I got 100% map complete on the Sylvari starting zone and that was really enjoyable. Surprised jumping puzzles don't count towards it as I only completed the one I came across (Morgan's Spiral?) but after skimming the achievements I saw it listed several more so I found the weird sci-fi one inside a volcano. Getting to some of the vistas can definitely be a jumping puzzle in itself but without the chest at the end. Oh well!

Lastly (for now), do the black lion chest keys only come from map completes and buying with gems? I've got two of the chests on me and I know I shouldn't spend the couple dollars to open them but they just sit there and stare at me.

Zeroth

Does every race have a unique 1-15 leveling area or do any share with one another? The Sylvari area seems pretty much catered to them. Engineer is alright but I want to maybe try another class before getting too deep into things and figure it'll stay fresh if I try other races.

What is considered a decent point where the feel of a class is fully apparent? At level 17 with the engineer I have all my 1-5 and I've been testing out different turrets and kits so I figure things don't change drastically from this point on. Do most classes give a decent feel by around level 15 or so? Or is there something that changes them up and I should get engineer to 20 or more before trying something different?

Unrelated but I love all the exploring and how it tracks everything for collecting and completionists. I got 100% map complete on the Sylvari starting zone and that was really enjoyable. Surprised jumping puzzles don't count towards it as I only completed the one I came across (Morgan's Spiral?) but after skimming the achievements I saw it listed several more so I found the weird sci-fi one inside a volcano. Getting to some of the vistas can definitely be a jumping puzzle in itself but without the chest at the end. Oh well!

Lastly (for now), do the black lion chest keys only come from map completes and buying with gems? I've got two of the chests on me and I know I shouldn't spend the couple dollars to open them but they just sit there and stare at me.

All 5 races have their own starting map, but you can visit any of them any time through asuran portals, so you can have your lv 1 sylvari exploring the charr map with no issues.

In regards to seeing the potential of a class, I would say that after you unlock all skills (including utilities), it's easier to see how some classes work, but a class can only use its true potential at lv 80 thanks to traits, which can greatly change some builds (Guardians for example get the ability to spam Blind after investing in some trait points). I wouldn't hold back on trying different classes though, all of them are different enough that you should seek the style you enjoy the most :)

And finally, you can sell these chests on the Trading Post if you wish so. Today they are worth quite a bit since some TP manipulators decided to increase the price of the black lion chests by 5 times its normal value!

Morokh

That new hairstyle fits my Norn like a glove :D
qXnJYfF.jpg

I seriously need tips for screenshots though, using any Gemfx profile makes them all grainy and over exposed, and I can't figure out how to center the camera to do any kind of real seflie since the vertical slider does absolutely nothing .....

Also there was a trick to force AA in the Nvidia panel, does someone still have a link (and does it still work ?)

Levyne

Banned

Yeah there are unique areas but you can go to whichever you want. You can portal to the hub Lion's Arch from each city (or from the PVP zone Heart of the Mists) and from there port to any other city. You could make a Charr and have his first area be the Norn starting zone.

Heh, I haven't actually leveled a class traditionally since they altered the leveling system, but you will unlock your skills way earlier than you unlock your traits. "Fully apparent" would require knowledge of both but you'll have access to most of your skill slots by 30ish iirc, just limited by if you have enough skill points to unlock them (for the 6-10). That said, nothing preventing you from trying another class whenever if you have the a free slot.

Heh, yah the game is very explicit about zone completion which can sometimes make a game like a checklist but that's nice for certain playstyles. Yeah jumping puzzles are unlisted generally (though if you find a region of a zone that has no pois or vistas or anything in it, decent chance it's a jumping puzzle.)

They are a super (exceedingly) rare drop and you get them from your personal story a few times too. There are guides and methods to farming them by creating new characters and blitzing through an efficient story path but it seems really, really boring to me (and not nearly as fast as it used to be either, to my knowledge)

Most veteran players have a stack+ of unopened chests if they aren't just junking them past a certain point.

Levyne

Banned
That new hairstyle fits my Norn like a glove :D
http://i.imgur.com/qXnJYfF.jpg?1[img]

I seriously need tips for screenshots though, using any Gemfx profile makes them all grainy and over exposed, and I can't figure out how to center the camera to do any kind of real seflie since the vertical slider does absolutely nothing .....

Also there was a trick to force AA in the Nvidia panel, does someone still have a link (and does it still work ?)[/QUOTE]

[url]http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956[/url]

Looks like a couple options for Guild Wars 2 depending on the type of AA you want.

Back when I set mine up only the first compatibility flag with MSAA was listed, I'm near certain. Maybe I'll play with the others tonight.

Levyne

Banned
Um it was just a toggle or a drop down in inspector. I'm not on my home computer atm but it was some thing further down iirc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Did all 3 AC paths with a group of people that had 12k+ achievement points, one guy had 24k. Everything melted in seconds, no one dropped.

But also no one said "thanks for group" after the 3rd dungeon path. ;_;

Yay for AP still being a reliable gauge most of the time~!

Levyne

Banned
Just set to whatever 2x 4x whatever multisampling and if you want to use sgssaa you set a matching setting on the transparency supersampling setting below it. I'm not well versed enough to know exactly what sgssaa is (compared to MSAA which is just vanilla anti aliasing) but I know proper implementation of it can look really really nice.

Shanlei91

The new haircuts are too hipster for me.

What is considered a decent point where the feel of a class is fully apparent?

It's tough to say - it varies across classes. Mesmer doesn't start feeling useful or give you a good idea on how the class works until lvl 60 due to relying on traits. You know what you're getting yourself into with Warrior or Guardian in your teens / by lvl 20. Same could probably be said about Engineer and Ranger.

I think the best way to go about it is to create a character quickly, take them into the pvp lobby where you'll be lvl 80 and have all skills unlocked and then just run around and test it out against the test dummies. Once you have a good idea then jump into PvE with him, level up to 20 and assess whether you're enjoying it. Of course, doing this does lose some of the charm of discovering a new weapon set or skill you really like while leveling naturally.

Proven

40 minutes. I'm excited.

Edit: I'm taking in my all rounder Condi Warrior to start with. I might do a few unranked matches before it starts to warm up...

Morokh

Mmmh will have to play some more with these AA settings and monitor performance cause what I did didn't seem that great ...

Thx for the help Levyne :)

It's tough to say - it varies across classes. Mesmer doesn't start feeling useful or give you a good idea on how the class works until lvl 60 due to relying on traits. You know what you're getting yourself into with Warrior or Guardian in your teens / by lvl 20. Same could probably be said about Engineer and Ranger.

I think the best way to go about it is to create a character quickly, take them into the pvp lobby where you'll be lvl 80 and have all skills unlocked and then just run around and test it out against the test dummies. Once you have a good idea then jump into PvE with him, level up to 20 and assess whether you're enjoying it. Of course, doing this does lose some of the charm of discovering a new weapon set or skill you really like while leveling naturally.

Just quoting one but thanks for the replies from the others as well.

I mainly was asking about the starting zones being different because that means I'll have a varied experience from five characters if I make them all different races while trying out different classes up through at least level 15ish or so. I hit 17 on my engineer in the Sylvari area but I don't know if the other zones will level around the same or not. Suppose it also depends on how many of those events I take part in.

I figure I'll try out a Guardian soon as that sounds a bit more to my liking. Necromancer sounds fun, too. I wouldn't mind checking out Elementalist but when I Googled around before starting that seemed to be the most common class so I thought I'd try to stay away from that one.

Looks like traits first unlock at level 30? I think that's what I saw. Maybe it was 31. I thought about buying one from the my trainer but I suppose that wouldn't do me much good until I hit 30/31. Looks like they can change up how you'd play your class so those should be interesting.

I figure I'll try out a Guardian soon as that sounds a bit more to my liking. Necromancer sounds fun, too. I wouldn't mind checking out Elementalist but when I Googled around before starting that seemed to be the most common class so I thought I'd try to stay away from that one.

There are only 3, maybe 4 people in the guild (that I can think of) that main/regularly play elementalist :eek: and it's totally the best class so give it a try

Don't be too worried about picking a class that no one else plays though, it's actually a pretty even spread - 10-14% of the player base for each class except Warrior which is slightly more at 16% or something.

EDIT: Now that I'm looking at the guild roster there are more eles than I could think of off the top of my head, but it's a great class regardless

Shanlei91

The starting areas vary enough between the races that it provides a refreshing experience but it's the personal story missions from lvl 1-20 that are the biggest difference between the races due to the differences in their cultures, enemies and overall lore. If you make a Norn, definitely go for the "I got drunk and blacked out" story.

Mxrz

Right now, I feel like I would play Stronghold exclusively if given the choice. But I have never been too fond of conquest. I understand their concerns about the queue. Yet the thought of wanting to play some Stronghold, and winding up in Skyhammer or somewhere several times over would probably put me off the queue altogether.

Looking at GW1 - It never felt like FA and JQ were the ones siphoning off players from GvG. The PvP team has the numbers on players, and maybe its more dire than I realize, but I'd like to think GW2 could support Custom. Unranked, Ranked, and Stronghold (unranked). There's always the chance dailies could herd people towards specific modes, too. Perhaps even reward tracks specific to each que, if that is possible at the technical level.

Proven

Stronghold was fun. Thanks go out to Edge, Billiechu/Emitan, Moondrop, etiolate/Zed, Hawkian, Lump, and I think I played with Aether too. It was fun to play and not only see the meta develop but be a part of it.

Stronghold really is PvP focused, the only question is how they want to tweak NPCs. And seriously, any build that's good for Conquest is also good for Stronghold, but then Stronghold makes some weaker builds a bit more viable. Basically, support builds can work better because of certain NPC cases, and for the roaming that's necessary at times.

I also need to figure out this score system, although by tomorrow someone will probably have it figured out on reddit or the pvp forums.

After that last game, it feels like splits are likely to be 2-1-2 for Offense-Supply/Heroes/Roam-Defense, with variations of one or two from Offense or Defense rotating. Two people running supply can be surprisingly dangerous, and would probably be great at taking Hero spawns together.

Morokh

It's quite funny to see people's reactions to Stronghold on the forums and Reddit.

There is obviously the usual 'We don't like change' and 'This is not Payvaypay' crowds but then there is quite a bunch of people claiming "Offense is too stronk !" and pretty much as many people saying "2/3 people defending and it's easy win" ..... sooo they got it right I guess :p

From what I played I would agree that the timer feels a bit short, and the minimap could use some more tweaks cause it feels a bit messy at times.

Otherwise, it's just very fun to play, and the PVE bits with NPC's clearly make it a bit more enjoyable for people like me who are not particularly comfortable in pure PVP.

Going to start a new Norn warrior sometime this week. I'm really looking forward to the armor customization since I've ever dabbled in that since release.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So Stronghold was a lot of fun IMO, more moving parts than I expected. Last page wouldn't let me post in it during work at all (page blocked for suspicious embedded link o_O)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom