• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT5| We've got fun and games

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Zeroth right now

FLnzLcV.gif

Retro

Flameseeker Chronicles: Maguuma Hylek interview

Still reading it (kinda long) but so far it's mostly just lore, but really cool lore. However, there is this;

McGough will be publishing a blog post about the Hylek tribes on the official Guild Wars 2 website on Thursday, and this will be supported by a Points of Interest show this Friday that will give us a first glimpse of some of the places where players will interact with the Nuhoch and Itzel as well as some of their combat moves. Points of Interest will air on the Guild Wars 2 Twitch channel at 12 p.m. PT.

So, lore-centric blog post tomorrow (maybe touching on the mastery system) and POI will be showing off some potentially new Hylek areas. Neat.

From the two rounds I played last night, the game mode seemed fun. Fun fights around the hero spots, and lord defense looks at least more involving than in Foefire.

The location in the screen Ike posted is one of the lava pots floating around off the side of the bridge. It's not actual lava, it's a pot of lies

But we also went to a harder to access unused area in SE1, it's the upper ledge on the opposite side of the main bridge you walk through. We only got there because Ike was able to savage leap over and portal us through, not sure if you can get there without being a warrior

spiritfox

The location in the screen Ike posted is one of the lava pots floating around off the side of the bridge. It's not actual lava, it's a pot of lies

But we also went to a harder to access unused area in SE1, it's the upper ledge on the opposite side of the main bridge you walk through. We only got there because Ike was able to savage leap over and portal us through, not sure if you can get there without being a warrior

You can Rocket Boots there too.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
When I made my Green Arrow ranger I got three Tequatl Hoards over the course of two weeks. Very appropriate for the theme.

Taffer

Actual froggy blog post: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hylek-in-the-heart-of-thorns/
Not much that wasn't in the interview TBH but there's this:

* Zintl fanatics and their beetles do not use a proper mount system but instead share animations and a single health pool.

SAB confirmed!

When I made my Green Arrow ranger I got three Tequatl Hoards over the course of two weeks. Very appropriate for the theme.

I don't dislike the idea of green/black necros, just that most of them are rubbish.
Bonus: I only recently figured out what Kanik is Arrow means.

Retro

Another blog post; https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-mastering-the-maguuma-2/

I asked Crystin what ArenaNet has learned since the launch of Guild Wars 2 and how it led to the creation of the Masteries system. “I think the primary lesson we have learned is that successful progression systems are those that feel meaningful and have a tangible impact on play,” she said. “Visual progression, expanded options, and difficulty progression are all important, but without real changes to how the player interacts with the game, progression systems are much less motivating.”

It sounds like Crystin needs to jog over to whatever corner of the office handles traits and write that in big letters on their white board in permanent ink.

230xiTx.png

We have lots of new players that joined us recently so there is a deal on season 2 of living world if you want to catch up before HoT release.

Proven

I was anal enough to log in for every chapter and have them all for free. Just need to finally play them. But I'm probably going to get a gem card for a friend that missed them.

UltraMav

Hey guys. Just returned to the game and finally hit 80 on my first character. Any chance I can get a re-invite? Account name: Dak.7132

aember

Hey guys, could I get reinvited to the guild? I think I was kicked out because I had 100+ days of inactivity, but stuff around for me has calmed down so I should be able to be fairly active!

# is aember.3942

bonus points for finding a GAFer?

Morokh

Catching up on the lastest HoT articles, and I have to admit they really mastered the art of talking about their expansion while absolutely not talking about it at the same time ...

Hey guys, could I get reinvited to the guild? I think I was kicked out because I had 100+ days of inactivity, but stuff around for me has calmed down so I should be able to be fairly active!

# is aember.3942

bonus points for finding a GAFer?

Ha, that's my guardian I'm trying out. Looks like you came up when I was looking at the crafting stuff. So far I think I'm enjoying guardian more than engineer but both are fairly low. When you get the ability to swap weapon sets does that work in combat? Sure would be handy because I like having a mace equipped simply because I can heal up more with it but the other weapon combos seem a bit better for quick damage if healing isn't as much of a concern.

I feel so squishy in this game. I guess compared to WoW where you can spam heals it's just going to require that I change how I play and stop trying to bum rush everything all the time.

Still tempted to quickly hop onto yet another new character to keep checking out different classes but I should at least complete the starting zone and get to 15-20 before I do so.

aember

Ha, that's my guardian I'm trying out. Looks like you came up when I was looking at the crafting stuff. So far I think I'm enjoying guardian more than engineer but both are fairly low. When you get the ability to swap weapon sets does that work in combat? Sure would be handy because I like having a mace equipped simply because I can heal up more with it but the other weapon combos seem a bit better for quick damage if healing isn't as much of a concern.

I feel so squishy in this game. I guess compared to WoW where you can spam heals it's just going to require that I change how I play and stop trying to bum rush everything all the time.

Still tempted to quickly hop onto yet another new character to keep checking out different classes but I should at least complete the starting zone and get to 15-20 before I do so.
I helped you out in the skill point with the bandit. I saw you going for it and I remembered how he kicked my ass at that level. Didn't waste a moment. :)

Also I'm in the same boat. I've gone through 10 characters over the last few days, but I think I've finally settled on the guardian as being my main.

I helped you out in the skill point with the bandit. I saw you going for it and I remembered how he kicked my ass at that level. Didn't waste a moment. :)

Also I'm in the same boat. I've gone through 10 characters over the last few days, but I think I've finally settled on the guardian as being my main.

Thanks for the help on the bandit. I didn't even realize he was going to be tough because I didn't know what the skill point required over there. Someone else had started it right before I got there so I just assumed he was a regular enemy and then things went south fairly quickly when he turned his attention to me. Then again I was running around getting waypoints and was a little underleveled over there. I think he was 10 and I was 8?

Are rangers strong at low levels? I swear I'll be slowly picking away at something tougher (veteran boars) and then a ranger comes up and blows through its health in no time at all. Maybe I'm just picking classes that start slow?

The name of the game with damage avoidance in GW2 is mitigation. Most strategically, you mitigate damage fastest by making enemies dead quickly. Obviously, however, you'll rarely have the chance to kill enemies before they can do anything to you, this is where the dodges and blocks come in to play. In general, you'll always be most efficient by having your dodge meter constantly regenerating. This means that liberal application of dodges is not an unwise tactic, but you of course will need some time between dodges since you don't get that resource back instantly (unless you have a sigil of energy, which is a story for another day).
While taking damage isn't a big deal, you are best off avoiding it without using any limited resources. This means that positioning is your best friend in this game. By positioning yourself behind melee attacks (moving through enemies works), you can consistently avoid them, especially the bigger and more telegraphed ones. Ranged enemies tend to be a little harder to avoid, but you can use cover if you need to avoid them. Once behind cover, ranged enemies tend to flock to you like flies on fresh crap, at which point you can engage in melee combat (where they tend to be less capable).
There are, of course, harder enemeis where there is no cover and their attacks are less telegraphed despite being dangerous to you. In these cases, I recommend more of a hit/run tactic.
Basically, I always try to remember my #1 rule for success: Do damage, don't die.

Thanks for the help on the bandit. I didn't even realize he was going to be tough because I didn't know what the skill point required over there. Someone else had started it right before I got there so I just assumed he was a regular enemy and then things went south fairly quickly when he turned his attention to me. Then again I was running around getting waypoints and was a little underleveled over there. I think he was 10 and I was 8?

Are rangers strong at low levels? I swear I'll be slowly picking away at something tougher (veteran boars) and then a ranger comes up and blows through its health in no time at all. Maybe I'm just picking classes that start slow?
Rangers have the advantage of a pet that they can use to draw aggro. Early on, it's basically a tank while the ranger can DPS the shit out of things with a longbow. (longbow #2 is a heavy hitting skill, sorta like greatsword #2 on warrriors)

aember

Doing a story mission for my Human character with a huge Norn tagging along is quite amusing, especially when trying to navigate the narrow halls of the hunting lodge!

Minamu

Doing a story mission for my Human character with a huge Norn tagging along is quite amusing, especially when trying to navigate the narrow halls of the hunting lodge!
Perfect time for activating first person mode I thought, but never got around to it :) I'm gonna be making a mobile game over the weekend so we'll have to continue on Monday or something!

aember

Perfect time for activating first person mode I thought, but never got around to it :) I'm gonna be making a mobile game over the weekend so we'll have to continue on Monday or something!
No problem, I'll be on today in about 5-ish hours too.

Zeroth

Ranger longbow 2 is a powerful burst. If the ranger was lv 80 and properly geared, it could probably kill a veteran like that in seconds with that burst. That said, this applies to all lv 80 characters on low level zones.

Who wants to join the Rodgort club?

Lev is there, you will just never know since he doesnt use torch anyway.

leng jai

Ranger longbow 2 is a powerful burst. If the ranger was lv 80 and properly geared, it could probably kill a veteran like that in seconds with that burst. That said, this applies to all lv 80 characters on low level zones.

Lev is there, you will just never know since he doesnt use torch anyway.

That's because he doesn't play his meta mesmer.

Spyware

Catching up on the lastest HoT articles, and I have to admit they really mastered the art of talking about their expansion while absolutely not talking about it at the same time ...
Yup. I'm not even reading the stuff properly anymore, just skimming through. I really hope the info I want (Specializations, Rev details) comes sooner rather than later. Absolutely zero interest in HoT info atm even tho I'm probably gonna love all this stuff (the lore and such) in the game when it's released.

How many times did you take a screenshot of the 4 items you were throwing in and got nothing? (◡‿◡✿)

You do know that the recipe he is using is guaranteed to give the Legendary? Therefore he would only have to take the screenshot once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom