• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd PC |OT| Get down to 4k rock!

petran79

Banned
I would call 40k sales on PC a solid showing that people in the west will do just fine with GG.

IMHO BlazBlue is worse since moves and normals do absolute crap damage compared to Guilty Gear so even with solid basics you go nowhere.

edit: Iron Badger go me good

I do not doubt the numbers and the interest.
But when compared to Japan you can go to the arcades as well where the actual competition is. Whereas here you have to rely on online, which is not always reliable.

Though there that goes basically for every fighting game really. It is just that some require arcades more than others. Games like SF, KOF and MvC had a strong arcade scene outside Japan. Guilty Gear was mainly popular on consoles, though I was fortunate to see an actual cab in early 2000. Of course I could not understand what was going on!

FACE

Banned
Anyone else gets a massive drop in frame rate if the latency goes up during online matches? I played a bunch of matches yesterday and most of them were fine, except for this one guy were the delay would sometimes go from 2f to 4 and it felt like the game was running at 20fps.

Naite

Anyone else gets a massive drop in frame rate if the latency goes up during online matches? I played a bunch of matches yesterday and most of them were fine, except for this one guy were the delay would sometimes go from 2f to 4 and it felt like the game was running at 20fps.

I think the delay might be misinterpreting the lag. I just had 2 matches against the same guy with constant delay of 6F but it felt way slower than that. Meanwhile the framerate from my nvidia overlay was a constant 60fps.

I think the delay might be misinterpreting the lag. I just had 2 matches against the same guy with constant delay of 6F but it felt way slower than that. Meanwhile the framerate from my nvidia overlay was a constant 60fps.

Yeah, this has been happening to me. I thought it might be a side-effect of the memory-leak affecting my computer, but I don't even know if that's still an issue anymore. It's made my last few sets irritating though.

Why do some combos not seem to work very well? Trying to do Slayer's Helter Skelter Heavy Slash close Slash far Slash and it seems completely random whether any parts of it hit, especially the first Slash.

BHK3

Banned
What can I do to fix the keybinds in the game? I use a DS4 but its no different having that software open or closed, some button presses aren't read at all and A/B(X/O) are switched for some reason.

Ok I figured out the issue but no clue was causes it, the face buttons are complete swapped around for some reason, gonna try verifying cache.

Alrighty then, checking off 'Hide DS4', whatever the hell that means or does fixes it. woot. Now to do this tutorial.

NEO0MJ

I do not doubt the numbers and the interest.
But when compared to Japan you can go to the arcades as well where the actual competition is. Whereas here you have to rely on online, which is not always reliable.

Don't forget that it arrived a year late with an update in the close horizon.

Why do some combos not seem to work very well? Trying to do Slayer's Helter Skelter Heavy Slash close Slash far Slash and it seems completely random whether any parts of it hit, especially the first Slash.

Distance plays a huge role in how well a combo will land, and some even require you to walk closer after certain hits.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So I was playing with a few friends, and I think I might have found some great Faust tech against Millia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMAnaNC5Rv4

I'm kind of glad that Shadowplay wasn't recording me, because I think it was about 80% me laughing.

What the hell even happened there? The game freaked out over two opposite situations and stuck Milla in a loop?

Astarte

I'm having some weird issues with the game. Sometimes the menu starts up at 30 fps and the in-game framerate takes a giant shit for no reason from time to time. :/

40,000 sold is ok. It just has to be enough for them to realize it's better to port to pc than not. Some money is better than no money and I can't imagine a port job to be that costly.

Genryu

Banned
What the hell even happened there? The game freaked out over two opposite situations and stuck Milla in a loop?

So Millia's attack needs to hit either the opponent or the wall to stop.
Faust doesn't have a hurtbox on the end of his scalpel in that stance, so he's immune to low attacks.
So since Millia can't hit me OR the wall, she gets stuck in that attack. I could have ended it at any time as Faust, but Timer Scams are too hilarious.

Absolutely stupid and naive question, but since I've read about people telling that Street Fighter is less "strict" with the timings of the combos, learning Guilty Gear can help me start in street fighter? Or they're completely different so it doesn't matter?

Tobe

Absolutely stupid and naive question, but since I've read about people telling that Street Fighter is less "strict" with the timings of the combos, learning Guilty Gear can help me start in street fighter? Or they're completely different so it doesn't matter?

having decent execution in an anime fighter will probably make you good (execution wise)in a street fighter game.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member

Street Fighter has some high execution stuff as well, probably even in V, so I'm not sure about that. There's transferable skills between fighters, but Guilty Gear is a very different beast than SF.

wwm0nkey

43k sales, it's now the best selling GG game. Isuka has 42k but that has been on Steam for almost 2 years now and iirc had a bundle deal too.

NotLiquid

I'm super happy that it's been doing well. Although I totally suck at this game it's still one of my favorite fighting game franchises.

I still get some occasional memory leaks with the game though. It's a bit frustrating but they're becoming less frequent with the recent patch.

You can't buffer ground attacks while in the air and vice versa. You have to press the button while on the ground for it to come out, otherwise it won't come out because of the jump/landing transition. You can buffer directional inputs in the air though if you want to do a special after landing.

ArjanN

having decent execution in an anime fighter will probably make you good (execution wise)in a street fighter game.

IMO SF4 actually had tighter combo timing than most anime fighters. I do have to adjust a bit to the SRK motion being more strict in GG, SF4 made me lazy in that regard since in that you can just mash downforward and get it every time.

You can't buffer ground attacks while in the air and vice versa. You have to press the button while on the ground for it to come out, otherwise it won't come out because of the jump/landing transition. You can buffer directional inputs in the air though if you want to do a special after landing.

That seems pretty strict. It rarely works for me without mashing.

I'm having a big problem with movement in this game, which is also an arcade stick problem. Dashing left on a stick is difficult. Holding the stick with index and middle finger, and the only way to dash left seems to be either using only the thumb, which is too slow to start and act out of, or using the entire arm, which is a really unnatural motion that makes my arm lock up and the dash won't even come out. I don't know what to do about it, and I've been playing on stick for about a year.

"I'm having a big problem with movement in this game, which is also an arcade stick problem. Dashing left on a stick is difficult. Holding the stick with index and middle finger, and the only way to dash left seems to be either using only the thumb, which is too slow to start and act out of, or using the entire arm, which is a really unnatural motion that makes my arm lock up and the dash won't even come out. I don't know what to do about it, and I've been playing on stick for about a year."

Don't be afraid to use slight forearm and wrist motions with your stick. If you use a combination of your thumb, wrist, and forearm, you shouldn't have a problem.

I can't use the forearm without feeling some bicep strain. Sometimes (not every time) my arm stops for a second after the first time I push left, like it forgets what it's supposed to be doing. I don't know if it's a muscle reflex of sorts or if it can be conditioned out, but I've been playing on stick for a while.

Is there any sort of ridiculous reason why Axl's English voice says "Driver's licence photo" while attacking?

jett

D-Member
I think I'm just too old for this game. Feels like you need razor-sharp reactions to pull off some basic shit in here.

This is the first fighting series/subgenre I haven't had years of casual play to get used to before learning about competitive. Pretty discouraging not even being able to control the game.

Axl is an (involuntary) time traveler. One of his hobbies is ribbing Sol over embarrassing dirt he has on him.

That's the level of obscure nonsense I hoped for. I hope he says something similar in the Japanese voice too.

FATALITY

Banned
although this is a pc ot
i bought this game for $15 on us psn
god im in love
im just pissed because i have to pay for new characters

although this is a pc ot
i bought this game for $15 on us psn
god im in love
im just pissed because i have to pay for new characters

I don't remember how obvious they make it, but you don't have to pay for Sin. You can also get him by completing the story mode.

Thank god the PC version came with the DLC. I damn sure wasn't paying for those characters twice.

How can I play training mode etc while waiting for ranked? I can't find the option.
Also, Potekmin really beats my ass everytime online, huge damage and "armor" frames.
Also, I suck in general, so basically everybody beats my ass, lol

LegatoB

How can I play training mode etc while waiting for ranked? I can't find the option.
Also, Potekmin really beats my ass everytime online, huge damage and "armor" frames.
Also, I suck in general, so basically everybody beats my ass, lol
"Enter" yourself in ranked match, then back up to the main menu and select Training Mode. As long as you see the little "spyglass" icon in the lower right corner, you're queued up.

How do tiers work in Xrd? It's definitely not as straightforward as with Street Fighter and Smash Bros, where there's a clear distinction between characters who are the best, characters who are just good, and characters who are not so good. But in Guilty Gear, anybody can body you by taking advantage of the right situation, so things don't work out so neatly. I get what makes Zato and Millia and sometimes Elphelt the best, and what makes characters like May definitely not on their level, but some I just don't get. Why is I-No typically in Guilty Gear's equivalent of mid tier? What makes Axl high tier? What's wrong with Bedman?

K.Sabot

Tiers in GG are like... who can get momentum more often in neutral and how good is that momentum, because everyone can setplay everyone to death.

Millia has average to decent ways to start setplay, but when she gets it going it's actually straight up air tight, loops infinitely back into itself, and most of it is unburstable.

Zato can start his setplay off of just about anything in comparison, a simple counter hit normal or knockdown off drill allows him to start his offensive momentum.

Most other characters take a lot more work to do the same things as Zato and Millia, which is kind of how the tiers are structured.

I hope they're able to fix the "memory leak"/framerate issue when using most PS3/4 sticks. Unplugging the stick is a temporary fix, but the fact that it can happen to the other person in netplay and screw up the match is super annoying. I haven't played it much since I thought they'd fix it soon, but I guess it must be a tough shell to crack.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I hope they're able to fix the "memory leak"/framerate issue when using most PS3/4 sticks. Unplugging the stick is a temporary fix, but the fact that it can happen to the other person in netplay and screw up the match is super annoying. I haven't played it much since I thought they'd fix it soon, but I guess it must be a tough shell to crack.

What the fuck? Glad I didn't buy it then, I have a ps3 stick I use :/

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
All slc are free for the next 2 weeks after that the base game wont offer any dlc when u bought and ud have to nickle and dime each dlc u want :p

I wasn't being political, that wasn't a "bad devs rawr I don't support these tactics rawr", I'm legit glad I didn't buy it since it would be busted with my stick apparently

That and and more and more convinced that, like Danny Glover, I'm getting too old for this shit :/

Hell the SF5 beta did nothing for me which honestly surprised me

petran79

Banned
i was trying to play VS with my brother, me using a keyboard and he a gamepad.
Yet both were registered as player1. There was not any option for p2 in either.
Had to plug a second gamepad for p2, play a game and remove gamepad 1 for keyboard to work...

Sayad

Why is I-No typically in Guilty Gear's equivalent of mid tier? What makes Axl high tier? What's wrong with Bedman?
I-No have difficulty getting things started, comparably, but once she get her thing going, she as scary as any of the top characters. And what's really wrong with Bedman is that not enough top players are using him, thing is a monster, I would know. ( ; ﹏ ;)

That being said, unless you're playing Pot, tier lists in GG doesn't dictate the results.

Top Bottom