• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd PC |OT| Get down to 4k rock!

I played a few rounds of revelator today, which made me want to grab this. Hopefully I can get some time on it when I get home in preparation for revelator console launch

Sayad

Anyone have any ideas on how Pote can deal with punch happy Sol? Reversals?
You'd have to be more specific, if he's spamming punches on your wake up, you could just grab him! You can push him away with Faultless Defense if he's using it as block strings or out reach him with Pot's normals at certain ranges.

If by punches you mean his "punching" special moves, they're annoying but there are specific ways to deal with each one.

thundr51

You'd have to be more specific, if he's spamming punches on your wake up, you could just grab him! You can push him away with Faultless Defense if he's using it as block strings or out reach him with Pot's normals at certain ranges.

If by punches you mean his "punching" special moves, they're annoying but there are specific ways to deal with each one.

Yes, he's spamming 2P on knockdown and I can't seem to get my throw to work. Tried doing the reversal trial and I'm failing miserably. Is there some special trick to getting reversals to work?

Sayad

Yes, he's spamming 2P on knockdown and I can't seem to get my throw to work. Tried doing the reversal trial and I'm failing miserably. Is there some special trick to getting reversals to work?
It's mainly just timing, the window is two frames. For wake-up DPs with characters who have an HS and S DP, you do the DP motion then press HS then S, this covers more frames but it's not ideal since you may not get the version you want.

Seyavesh

It's mainly just timing, the window is two frames. For wake-up DPs with characters who have an HS and S DP, you do the DP motion then press HS then S, this covers more frames but it's not ideal since you may not get the version you want.
can't pot just backdash buster that anyways?
no need for reversal?

The delay on May's anti-air kills me online. The timing is so weird that I always whiff or get hit out of startup when I try using it. Sin's command jump was ruining my day because I couldn't find a button to beat it consistently. 2H was slow enough that if I whiffed he could run up and get a max punish, and 2[8]H was hit out of startup. I could probably use the whale super to hit him if he doesn't have RC meter, but that's not always an option.

If I liked her AA game better May would probably be my favorite character ever.

Sayad

The delay on May's anti-air kills me online. The timing is so weird that I always whiff or get hit out of startup when I try using it. Sin's command jump was ruining my day because I couldn't find a button to beat it consistently. 2H was slow enough that if I whiffed he could run up and get a max punish, and 2[8]H was hit out of startup. I could probably use the whale super to hit him if he doesn't have RC meter, but that's not always an option.

If I liked her AA game better May would probably be my favorite character ever.
Sin's jump ins are great, most characters would have difficulty AAing him. Sometimes when someone get a clean well positioned jump in on you, it's safer to just block. May her self is pretty hard to AA.

Also, if you're gonna use the whale super for AAing, stick to using it when they're close to your side of the screen since the whale hit faster there. If it happened near the edge of the screen, like, if they're jumping on you while you're in the corner, the whale comes out so fast there isn't enough time to YRC and block.

Essay

The backdash Pot Buster is only going to work if the Ky doesn't have an OS designed to beat it, or doesn't react and fill the 3-frame window between the backdash invulnerability ending and the Pot Buster starting with an active hitbox. Many do neither, so it's worth disrespecting them until they start to play around it.

EDIT: Whoops, thought we were talking about Ky meaties still

Sin's jump ins are great, most characters would have difficulty AAing him. Sometimes when someone get a clean well positioned jump in on you, it's safer to just block. May her self is pretty hard to AA.

Also, if you're gonna use the whale super for AAing, stick to using it when they're close to your side of the screen since the whale hit faster there. If it happened near the edge of the screen, like, if they're jumping on you while you're in the corner, the whale comes out so fast there isn't enough time to YRC and block.

Oh yeah, I know the Whale is 0f in the corner. I was trying to mix up using j2H with other jump ins to alter my momentum, but Sin's 6P was beating both consistently.

There are a bunch of characters who I don't run into enough online to get matchup experience with. Sin is just one of those so far.

Gambit61

Oh yeah, I know the Whale is 0f in the corner. I was trying to mix up using j2H with other jump ins to alter my momentum, but Sin's 6P was beating both consistently.

There are a bunch of characters who I don't run into enough online to get matchup experience with. Sin is just one of those so far.

So Whale super can't be blocked/FD after the super freeze if someone is in the air and close enough?

So Whale super can't be blocked/FD after the super freeze if someone is in the air and close enough?

I was under that impression. The wiki lists its startup as 9+0, though of course it takes time to travel the screen. So yeah if you're in the air near the corner and not already FDing you're screwed. It may even be when grounded at certain ranges. I haven't checked.

I seem to only be getting 5 frame delay connections lately. Is there anyone I could test my connection with? And I need someone to play with anyway.

Looks like my ethernet was just acting up. Still looking to play whenever anyone else is though.

Gambit61

I was under that impression. The wiki lists its startup as 9+0, though of course it takes time to travel the screen. So yeah if you're in the air near the corner and not already FDing you're screwed. It may even be when grounded at certain ranges. I haven't checked.

Okay, I thought it was some weird lag when I got hit by it during one of my sessions with a friend. Guess I'll be more careful when he has meter lol.

Sayad

In the corner, while on the ground it isn't 0 frame because the whale comes in jumping which would completely whiff, or at least, it completely whiff against a running Millia.

Another whale trick is making it unblockable with the beach ball. Projectiles continue to travel during overdrives freeze in Xrd, so you can throw a beach ball, and the moment you notice the opponent standing in its path doing anything that isn't blocking, do the whale super, the beach ball will hit them during the freeze and they'd get comboed into the whale super.

Sin have some of the best anti airs in the game, with good reaction or reads, sometime it can't be helped. Not sure if you're using this but to miss up opponent AA timing with May you can also use j.D which can act as a mini air jump.

In the corner, while on the ground it isn't 0 frame because the whale comes in jumping which would completely whiff, or at least, it completely whiff against a running Millia.

Another whale trick is making it unblockable with the beach ball. Projectiles continue to travel during overdrives freeze in Xrd, so you can throw a beach ball, and the moment you notice the opponent standing in its path doing anything that isn't blocking, do the whale super, the beach ball will hit them during the freeze and they'd get comboed into the whale super.

Sin have some of the best anti airs in the game, with good reaction or reads, sometime it can't be helped. Not sure if you're using this but to miss up opponent AA timing with May you can also use j.D which can act as a mini air jump.

I just tested the whale out in training. It is unblockable on the ground, but only against characters with larger hurtboxes and they have to be relatively close to you, so its usefulness is limited. Hits Potemkin from pretty far away though, so if you have 9fs of freedom you can let that rip for little danger. The beach ball trick is a good one, I'm going to have to make more of an effort to do that. I usually blow 25 meter every time I throw one out though so I'll have to be more conscious of that.

I did use jD for a while after accidentally doing it when I got a little overzealous chaining to sweep. Then I ran into a Sol who blew it the hell up on reaction whenever I tried. Sol's 5K is like my least favorite button on a character ever. It's SO GOOD. I'll try it against Sin sometime, though, since his AA has a little more recovery so it might be more feasible.

FluxWaveZ

Below the 4Gamer interview with Daisuke Ishiwatari, Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- is listed for the PC along with the other platforms. Probably nothing and just a mislabel for -Sign-, but I wanted to point it out anyways.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So this game is only a couple of weeks old and the multiplayer is already a ghost town?

Fuck sakes and I've put too much time into training mode to get a refund. Sometimes I fucking hate PC gamers.

EDIT: 5 matches in 2 hours. Rising Thunder has a more hopping playerbase then this. According to steamcharts this averages a good 500 - 1000 people, is everyone playing solo?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So this game is only a couple of weeks old and the multiplayer is already a ghost town?

Fuck sakes and I've put too much time into training mode to get a refund. Sometimes I fucking hate PC gamers.

Did they ever fix the connection issues? I haven't booted the game up in a while because of that.

That's why you play with people in OTs and maybe make a friend or two through that. Or steam discussions.

I seem to only be getting 5 frame delay connections lately. Is there anyone I could test my connection with? And I need someone to play with anyway.

Looks like my ethernet was just acting up. Still looking to play whenever anyone else is though.
This slut is a good candidate, Sinatar.

Deps

EDIT: 5 matches in 2 hours. Rising Thunder has a more hopping playerbase then this. According to steamcharts this averages a good 500 - 1000 people, is everyone playing solo?

I was on at 8 am today and there were plenty of people in player matches. Just don't play ranked, no one plays ranked.

Joule

There's quite a few lobbies going on right now that I can see. If there isn't start a lobby and people will usually come to fill it up at the right hours.

FACE

Banned

I always see populated lobbies.

Are you in ranked? Ranked is a ghost town, since players always gravitate towards player matches or lobbies in ArcSys game. That'll be compounded if you're using the entry function, which I've had a lot of trouble with. The few times I've gotten ranked matches were when I was actively searching for them.

EDIT: Man, seriously, why doesn't this utilize Blazblue's color ranks? Majority of the lobbies that are up when I'm on are of the "new players" variety, and I don't want to be that guy that ruin people's times in case they really are just starting out.

It's just really bad at showing lobbies, and the region lock doesn't help. Have to add people and see if they fix it.

Astarte

No one touches ranked

Kade

Having an issue with my fight stick (Madcatz TE2) where the buttons are swapped and it's really confusing. Cross is Circle, Square is Triangle, R1 is R2, so on and so forth. The only button that is correctly mapped is start. Anyone have this issue and/or know how to fix it? This is the only game where it's doing this.

petran79

Banned
Online matches are problematic since depending on each users configuration FPS drop below 60 fps and it feels like fighting underwater.
Also I notice that ingame FPS drops after a while, despite the patches.
Tweaked the settings a bit, hope this solves the issue.

Having an issue with my fight stick (Madcatz TE2) where the buttons are swapped and it's really confusing. Cross is Circle, Square is Triangle, R1 is R2, so on and so forth. The only button that is correctly mapped is start. Anyone have this issue and/or know how to fix it? This is the only game where it's doing this.

You mean while in-game or while navigating in the menu?
This game applies the changes only during ingame battle.

To navigate and pause the game you still have to apply the default game buttons that can not be changed, not without editing the keybinding ini file

Kade

You mean while in-game or while navigating in the menu?
This game applies the changes only during ingame battle.

To navigate and pause the game you still have to apply the default game buttons that can not be changed, not without editing the keybinding ini file

It's in-game and in menus.

Hylian7

I got this game the other day on the Steam sale, and just got around to trying it today. While I am pretty bad at traditional fighters, and this one is no exception, there's one thing I wanted to bring up in here.

I tried using a Steam Controller and was pleasantly surprised. The main beef I had with all the other controllers available to me (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U Pro controller) was that they don't have any kind of octogate on the analog stick, and only the Wii U Pro Controller has an ideal D-pad, however it's kind of a pain to set up to get to work.

I tried the most popular binding for the Steam controller and was actually pleasantly surprised. You can use the D-pad or the analog stick on it, but I prefer the D-pad.

For those that don't know, the Steam controller's D-pad doesn't work like a traditional D-pad. There's the + shaped grooves in the pad, and it can be configured like a mouse touchpad, D-pad, and a few other functions. With the D-pad functionality, the way it's read is based on where your thumb is, NOT where you press it. This means it doesn't "click" if you were doing a "hadouken" motion on it. It just has a click when you press down on it, but moving your thumb around it, the feedback you get is from the + shaped grooves and the haptic feedback.

The default for the config I used had the d-pad not require a click, which seemed weird to me, then I gave it a try and realized how much I liked it. It actually feels very good, and much better than any analog stick for a traditional fighting game. It's no arcade stick, but it still feels pretty good.

This is obviously just me, but my problem with the analog stick on this controller, and others is that often I screw up quick inputs and accidentally input another direction. For instance there was something in the tutorial (I forget what), that required a half circle backward and then pressing forward. I kept trying and trying with the analog stick and could not get it down consistently becuase I accidentally hit what was read as an "up" input when trying to push forward after the half circle. Doing this on the left touchpad/D-pad was really easy and I could do it every single time.

Skilletor

Online matches are problematic since depending on each users configuration FPS drop below 60 fps and it feels like fighting underwater.
Also I notice that ingame FPS drops after a while, despite the patches.
Tweaked the settings a bit, hope this solves the issue.

I'm having this issue. Fighting a friend, he says it feels fine, but on my end it feels awful.

My system can run the game no issue, I don't have any framedrops when I play training mode, but online feels like ass. :(

Top Bottom